Hyundai i30 - Advice needed- what went wrong? - Claire Eardley
So advice needed- not a car expert at all. So yesterday I had my car in the garage thinking it was a wheel bearing issue (ticking and grinding noises when braking- brakes done last year and do about 12-15000 miles a year). Told by garage that no I’m in luck- it’s deposits on the brakes that need chipped away and cleaned up. Also put full set of good quality new all season tyres on to keep Wee one and myself safe as xmas approaches. This morning my partner is driving and he says the car started to slide and when he braked- they locked and he ended up in a ditch. He was going so slow on the bend there’s no damage to the car at all. And the car was on its side when I got there! Steering column completely b*****ed though so called back garage and they said bring it back up. Now on picking it up- they advise what they have done and they mention ‘brakes are done’. I said is that why the wheels locked and the mechanic just changed topic and said I’m only going to charge you an hours labour despite steering column alone taking two hours. Driving home and thinking did they mess up? I have no idea what could have caused the wheels to lock- partner said when he braked the car almost ‘jumped ’ and no control with steering. It’s a 2015 model so not old. Should I query more with the garage? Why did he do the brakes today but not yesterday when I took it in with those specific problems? Any thoughts much appreciated- have always trusted this garage and like them so hoping it’s explainable !
Hyundai i30 - Advice needed- what went wrong? - badbusdriver

I'm no mechanic, but that sounds like far too much of a coincidence!. The garage clean the brakes then the ABS stops working, hmmm....!

But, and it is a big one, if the ABS was not working, i'm 99% certain the warning light on the dashboard would be lit up. If, as i am assuming this to be the case, then it wouldn't be the fault of the garage that your partner went off the road. Which brings me to my next point, for your partner to go off the road like that regardless of whether or not the ABS was working, suggests one of two things. A, he was going too fast for the conditions, or B, there was oil or something spilled on the road. Cars don't just "start to slide" for no reason.

One last point (and i'm not 100% sure on this), i think when new tyres are first put on, you should drive extra carefully, to 'bed them in' (so to speak). So this may well have also been a factor.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/10/2019 at 19:34

No ABS light came on but the ESC did afterwards. But I think that’s because the tyre was COVERED in mud. I totally did think ok it’s new tyres- he’s been going to fast - but not one scratch on the car? We checked the road and so did AA who pulled us out. He said he thought it was strange too. Perhaps it was a bad combination of things and not saying I know for sure that partner took corner too fast but I just can’t understand why the brakes got done today when we took it back and they didn’t want to talk about it! When literally I picked it up yesterday 4pm and they hadn’t needed to do them??
Hyundai i30 - Advice needed- what went wrong? - gordonbennet

My thoughts are spilled fuel or other slippery substance on the road, or new tyres needing to be driven for a while to get full grip, or he was going faster than he imagines he was for the conditions.

The brakes shouldn't lock up as such on a modern car fitted with ABS, they do lock momentarily of course but if you keep the pressure on the brake pedal the ABS kicks in and applies the brakes repeatedly faster than a driver could, releasing for a fraction between applications as soon as slip is detected, you feel this as a rapid pulsing through the brake pedal.

see we have the same initial thoughts here BBD.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/10/2019 at 19:40

Thanks for replying Gordon, please see my above reply to bad bus driver. I’m not saying my partner isn’t responsible im just trying to figure out why brakes got replaced today after this happened when yesterday they apparebtky didn’t need it. Can worn brakes cause brakes or wheels to lock? I need to learn more about cars don’t I...
Hyundai i30 - Advice needed- what went wrong? - elekie&a/c doctor
The car is fitted with anti lock braking system , so I doubt if the wheels locked up . However , there is a limit to what the electronics of the braking system can do. It can’t miraculously stop the car driving into a ditch if all traction from the tyres is lost .
Totally agree however why would my garage put on new discs today after the crash when it was in yesterday being looked at For brake related issues ?
Hyundai i30 - Advice needed- what went wrong? - elekie&a/c doctor
No idea, but perhaps they thought there was a margin of error on their behalf, and so fitting new brakes would keep you sweet.
Hyundai i30 - Advice needed- what went wrong? - edlithgow

My thoughts are spilled fuel or other slippery substance.....

see we have the same initial thoughts here BBD.

I sometimes think that about my thoughts too.

I find strong drink helps me not to worry about it though.

You'll probably never know, but if you thought the black hand was acting shifty, then he probably was.

IF there was a mechanical fault that locked one or more brakes up (for example, a hose acting as a non-return valve) I don't see how ABS would help.

Just to add the obvious, IF you are correct that the black hand was acting shifty, possible reasons might include:-

(a) They broke something

(b) They missed something

(c) They think they MIGHT have broken something or missed something.

(d) They thnk you might think they broke something or missed something. (which you do)

(a) Would be bad, (b) not so bad, though not great, (c) is actually quite good. (d) is accurate, but doesn't exclude the others.

Whatever, apparently they fixed it, so it could be worse.

I'd try and find out exactly what "Brakes are done" means though.

A smart New York lawyer could get A LOT of mileage out of the transatlantic ambiguity in a phrase like that.

Edited by edlithgow on 06/10/2019 at 07:17