Ford Focus Estate - Ford Focus 13 Reg - Powershift / Clutch Issues - joshuajpotts

I bought a Ford Focus 13 plate automatic in September 2016 from a Ford dealership with full Ford service history. I took our a service plan with the dealership.

Less than 2 weeks after purchase the car nearly stalled and bounced / juddered coming off a motorway. I visited the dealership the next day and they found there was a recall on the transmission and carried out a software update which is what they recommended.

Over the year it was updated several times, but this did not resolve the issue. In September 2017 they assessed the issue and replaced the clutch under warranty - after persuasion!

We were then told the car would be learning the driving style so could be juddery to begin.

We have since reported the issue when the car has returned to the dealership for MOT's and services, where they would update the software after checking for recalls.

At the latest MOT (June 2019) we were told there was yet another recall and they updated the software, however the issue has been worse since this - the car is struggling to get out of first gear / change gear when it should, is juddery and occasionally jumps when in reverse.

The car was in for it's service at the dealership on 9th September 2019 and we asked the dealer ship to investigate the issue. They advised that a new clutch was required - even though the clutch had only been in the car for 25,000 miles since it was replaced. The car is currently at 92,000 miles.

I expressed my disappointment and they advised to contact Ford customer services, which I did, however they have since phoned back stating that they cannot be of assistance with any costs etc. towards a replacement clutch.

Having investigated this issue online, I can see that there is a major issue with the Ford Powershift transmission and believe there must be an underlying issue causing the clutch to deteriorate so quickly. The customer service rep wasn't interested in any of this / discussing the matter.

I am unsure of what the procedure may be to try and get a resolution for this issue / who to contact - dealership, Ford Customer Services etc. Any advise would be welcome. Thank you!

Ford Focus Estate - Ford Focus 13 Reg - Powershift / Clutch Issues - barney100

Save your energy, once they have sold it to you they couldn't care less. I seem to spend hours complaining here these days about all sorts things and rarely get anywhere.

Ford Focus Estate - Ford Focus 13 Reg - Powershift / Clutch Issues - badbusdriver

Depends on how much patience and energy you have. But, at the end of the day it is a 2013 car you have had for 3 years, so not sure ultimately what you are likely to achieve?. Yes, you could get in touch with some of these owners groups online and you may, at some point way down the line, collectively be able to put enough pressure on Ford to give some recompense?. Personally, i'm not sure there is much likelyhood of this but you never know!. Ford are obviously fully aware of the problems with this type of transmission, hence the fact that they have stopped using them, certainly on smaller cars like the Fiesta and Focus which have reverted back to a torque converter auto.

My advice?, trade the car in for something reliable (with a n/a petrol engine) like a Honda Civic, Toyota Auris, Mazda 3, Hyundai i30 or Kia Ceed. Put the whole debacle behind you and get on with your life.

As you have discovered, this type of transmission (not just in Ford's) have a poor reputation for long term reliability and driveability, so let the whole episode be a lesson; in future, never buy a car without doing some research into its reliability.

Ford Focus Estate - Ford Focus 13 Reg - Powershift / Clutch Issues - SLO76
You’ve no chance here. The car has done almost 100,000 miles and you’ve had it for more than two years, there is no obligation on the firms part to reimburse you. The problems are very well documented with this gearbox, so much so that many dealers simply won’t take them into stock at any price and Ford have decided to replace it with a more conventional torque converter gearbox instead in newer models.

Your best option here is to give up and sell it either by part exchanging against a newer car (be careful which auto you buy if it is a requirement) or by offloading at auction while it still drives and no warning lights are illuminated. Not ideal but essentially you’ve bought a bad car and there’s no way the firm will pay to repair it.