Hyundai i40 Tourer - Clutch Concern - CrazyMaous

Hello,
This is my first post, so I hope it is in the correct section?
I am having some concerns with my clutch, well, tbh, I've had concerns since I purchased it in December 2018.

I was advised the vehicle required a new "clutch kit" prior to collecting, which was allegedly fitted. I took the vehicle away, immediately I noticed a slight squeak when slightly compressing the clutch. I made this known to the dealership, which was then booked in before Christmas. The road test came back with "no fault found". I wasn't happy with this, so waited for the Holiday's to pass over, and in the New Year returned again with the fault - again, "no fault found".

Fast forward, since June I've been trying to raise this concern with the dealership, but emails went unanswered and phone calls were not returned. Upon having the vehicle MOT'd, the mechanic advised he had concerns of the clutch when driving it around the back of the garage.

I've had the car back at the dealership today, as I have been advised there is a 12 month (when I initially collected the car) warranty on the clutch - immediately the mechanic noticed the fault, the same fault I was complaining about since December/January!

I'm being asked to front money to have the gearbox "dropped" in order to investigate, but can anyone advise if this is an issue with Hyundai's? Google search shows some reports of clutch problems.

My concern is I do not know (right now) if the DMF was done, along with the clutch - or if it was just the clutch. There is no certainty as to whether I am liable to pay for the costs here, there's a lot of if's and buts.

Thanks

Edited by CrazyMaous on 03/09/2019 at 19:15

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Clutch Concern - Oli rag

Hyundai make good cars , but most of their range seem to suffer from weak clutches.

Look back at owner reviews on i10, i20 ,i30 & i40 and there are an alarmingly high number of people who have had to replace clutches. Quite a number of these claim never to have had clutch problems on any previous cars owned, so I think there is a genuine concern over the quality of the original fit clutches.

Suspect it would be hard to prove whether yours had the DMF replaced last time, and I reckon unfortunately that you're in for a large bill.