Advice - 2 isofix baby seats and one adult in rear - 4d4m

Hi!

I currently have a Honda HR-V on PCP which will be coming to an end in March 2020.

I am looking at what to get next, but i need something that can fit two baby seats with isofix in the back, as well as an adult in the middle.

My wife insists she does not want a people carrier, so i am looking at what SUV's might work.

We would be looking to lease and dont want to spend more than £300 a month. I think the Citroen C5 aircross might be our best bet. I also like the Mazda CX-5 but dont know this will be big enough. Also dont think a Sportage, Kadjar, Tuscon or 3008 would suit.

Does anyone have any experience with getting two baby seat in the back as well as an adult in any current SUV's?

And advice much appreciated!

Adam

Edited by Avant on 02/09/2019 at 18:25

Advice - 2 isofix baby seats and one adult in rear - SLO76
Instead of a never-ending PCP I’d borrow from a high street bank at 3% APR and buy a good late model Honda CRV instead. After 3yrs you’ll have plenty of equity to trade it in or just keep paying it and ultimately save yourself a lot of money.

A 5yr loan of £17,000 at 3% APR will cost just over £304 a month and this will grant you the best nearly new last gen approved used examples. I’d personally prefer the auto but this only comes with the more powerful twin turbo motor and 4wd which greatly weakens fuel economy. The 2wd car will do more than 60mpg on a run. I had one for 4yrs and found it to be an excellent big family wagon.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180420573...4

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190829163...0

Edited by SLO76 on 02/09/2019 at 17:20

Advice - 2 isofix baby seats and one adult in rear - badbusdriver

Citroen C4 Aircross long term test reports: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/citroen-c5-aircross/ Three full sized seats in the back but only the outer two have ISOFIX tethers. Seems to be 6-8 inches wider than a Peugeot 3008.

HJ

I find it difficult to believe that the rear seats on a C5 Aircross are 6-8 inches wider than the 3008, a car which uses the same platform, and whose external width is, to within 1mm, the same. If we are to assume that the level of side impact protection is around the same, then i'd accept maybe a couple of inches could be found, but 6-8?.

Trouble is, these sorts of measurements are difficult to come by, especially irritating for people like the OP. I have similar difficulty finding a reliable measurement of the seat height. For example, the seat height on a Fiesta Active is listed on the Motability website as being exactly the same as the Fiesta. But i know the Fiesta Active has a raised ride height, so how can they be the same?.

Maybe what the OP should do is look at 7 seat SUV options within the monthy budget. That way there is the option of using one of the third row seats if they can't all fit in the middle row. I did have a look on the Skoda website and saw that a Kodiak (2.0 diesel) could be had from £270 per month.

Advice - 2 isofix baby seats and one adult in rear - Ian_SW

How often is it needed to have the adult in the back? We manage journeys of up to about an hour with 3 adults, a five year old and a two year old in an Octavia. It's tight, but if both Isofix seats are pushed close to the door as the Isofix mounting allows, a smallish adult can get in the middle.

The other option (illogical though it sounds) is to put one of the child seats in the front and have two adults in the back. Most adults are narrower than a child seat!! This works well for us now the older child is in a Group 3 seat which uses the normal seat belt.

If you do want three full sized seats in the back, the 5 seat version of the van derived cars (Peugeot Rifter, Citeoen Berlingo etc are probably the best bet cost wise, though don't have much in the way of "image"

Advice - 2 isofix baby seats and one adult in rear - badbusdriver

If you do want three full sized seats in the back, the 5 seat version of the van derived cars (Peugeot Rifter, Citeoen Berlingo etc are probably the best bet cost wise, though don't have much in the way of "image"

Were it not for the OP's wife insisting that she does not want a people carrier, this would have been my suggestion. There are wider cars out there, but in the case of SUV's, all of them have 'sculpted' flanks, so are going to have less width across the interior. Sliding rear doors which, combined with the raised seating position, makes it so much easier to get the little 'uns into and out of their seats, and of course the truly enormous boot!. These factors make this the ultimate family car for those unconcerned with image!.

Advice - 2 isofix baby seats and one adult in rear - RT

You will need to physically check - as the positioning of the Isofix mounts may put the seats too close for an adult to sit between - and the sculpturing in some cars makes the centre seat uncomfortable for adults, ie heavier than children.

Advice - 2 isofix baby seats and one adult in rear - Avant

"My wife insists she does not want a people carrier, so I am looking at what SUV's might work."

I do question some people's logic. If you need to carry a lot of people - in this case 3 adults and 2 children in child seats - that is what a people carrier is for. Some but not all SUVs may do the same job, but the dividing line between an SUV and a people-carrier (or MPV) is blurred and not really relevant.

As RT says, you need to check a variety of cars physically, taking the unfortunate Adult no. 3 with you, to ensure that they not only fit but can sit in reasonable comfort.