Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - johncyprus
Yesterday in the middle of the day in a respectable street in Surbiton, SW London at 12 noon our Jazz was jacked up and the exhaust was cut through and the cat was removed all in about 2 minutes. Excellent CCTV of suspects which has been passed to the Police who were very keen to follow up. The Police told me that the early Honda Jazz’s and Toyota Prius’s are being targeted by these criminals.
My wife’s distraught, she loves the Jazz it’s a 2008 CTV auto, FHSH just 52,000 miles.
Of course it would happen on a Friday afternoon, will have to wait till Monday to arrange repair.
Will need new exhaust, cat and plastic underfloor tray which was cut through.
Is there anybody in the know please who could advise whether the insurance will write the car off? My wife is desperate to have it repaired.
Thanks in anticipation.
Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - elekie&a/c doctor

This is around the third one this week I have heard about . Unlikely to be a write off, but I doubt if the insurance will pay for a genuine Honda cat replacement on a car this age.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - Andrew-T

The insurers will decide whether to 'write off' the car when they find out the cost of repair, and compare that with the cost of buying an identical used car from a dealer. You are not obliged to go along with that if you are very attached to the car - you can 'buy it back' and have it repaired yourself. The insurers will probably pay out something like two-thirds of the equivalent dealer price (because they are losing the salvage value).

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - focussed

Undertray genuine is £20-£30- ish each side

Genuine cat is around £1300

A pattern non-oem cat - type approved - (must be a type approved cat after car reg from 1st march 2001) from around £100 up to around £350

https://www.cats2u.co.uk/3160-12

Will the insurance company write the car off? Probably on a car of that age if genuine parts are used.

So take it to an indy garage pay for it yourself or do it yourself and don't put it through the insurance.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - gordonbennet

Well done Focussed, from the sounds of it not worth an insurance claim, get it done at a competent indy exhaust place instead, hopefully the chosen indy has a useful chap who can recover it to the garage at a decent cost, assuming here the OP can't DIY the job.

If the old bill do manage to find and convict the crooks, maybe the small claims route would be a satisfying method of recouping the cost, even if they don't pay up (hardly likely to be model citizens) it's another strike against them if they ever decide to go legit and need credit checks....i don't know how courts work these days, it's been a long time since the victim was of any consequence in this country, but would the judge (magistrates) be able to award damages against the criminal at sentencing time?

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/07/2019 at 08:13

the other issue you may have, is if the cuts to the exhaust have been made the wrong side of the cat flanges ,is that you are going to need the rest of the exhaust system to enable it to fit together. Very likely one lambda sensor is missing also.

Many, many thanks very useful advice. Yes the lambda sensor seems to have gone too, just been online not too expensive. Plan to get it fixed by my trusted local Indy as advised. I’ve informed my insurance company already so if I get it fixed myself I’ll have to disclose it as an incident as opposed to a claim.
Another option is that I claim on the insurance, they write the car off and I buy it back as salvage and get it repaired.
Any idea what you they’d value the car at and what they’d want for the salvage?
Any idea what you they’d value the car at and what they’d want for the salvage?

As I mentioned above, about two-thirds dealer price for replacement vehicle. My 9-year-old 207SW was written off after a minor front-end collision a couple of years ago. Luckily third party admitted fault so I didn't claim. Their insurer offered £3500 write-off, but chassis was not damaged so I had local bodyshop (collision had happened right outside) rebuild front end. Insurer paid out £2250 which almost covered the job. Car still going fine.

I guess the insurer's salvage value may depend on the model and the damage suffered, but as your case didn't involve any serious 'damage', just vandalism, it may be hard to judge. You should claim for theft of components or something, and get the missing bits replaced locally.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - focussed

I doubt if the scumbags who are responsible will take any notice of a small claims court judgement GB, they are more than likely "persons who travel" or "europeans who like to roam"

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - gordonbennet

I doubt if the scumbags who are responsible will take any notice of a small claims court judgement GB, they are more than likely "persons who travel" or "europeans who like to roam"

Never for a moment thought they'd pay up as ordered, just was hoping if they were citizens with addresses as against non-members of the caravan club, there might be some satisfaction to be gained by jamming a delayed action stick in their spokes, sadly you are probably right and they will prove to be untouchables.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - SteveLee

My friend's 2008 Prius was targetted last week, they live on the bread line and have children and are now without transport. Yes, invariably a bunch of "local" or imported do-as-you-likeys that have no fear whatsoever of our supposed law-enforcers (social workers/social justice warriors more like) - there will be genuine surprise in the press as people (invariably called "far right") start taking the law into their own hands as our elected government(s) have no intention of upholding the law or protecting law abiding citizens over criminals' "yooman rights".

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - Metropolis.
Considering this car is one owner with full Honda Service history i’d recommend you get a quote from the dealer for this, i know it’s hard to believe but sometimes they can be not far off the independent price and you’ll keep the value up having it done at Honda. I know the car is not worth a great deal, but certainly more than the average Jazz with higher mileage and serviced at independents. If you’ve used the same dealer all this time they may treat you a bit better too, hoping you’ll buy from them again.
If you’ve used the same dealer all this time they may treat you a bit better too, hoping you’ll buy from them again.

They seem to have been waiting quite a while .... :-)

Thought I should update my original thread . I went through the insurance expecting the car be written off but the insurance company decided to repair it. Five weeks on I’m still driving the courtesy car as the garage struggles to find the parts. Was trawling Autotrader recently and came across a Honda Accord which had its cat cut out and the unfortunate owner couldn’t afford to repair it.
It seems Hondas are being targeted in a big way.
Thanks to all those who responded.
Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - skidpan
Five weeks on I’m still driving the courtesy car as the garage struggles to find the parts.

This is a link to a manufacturer of homologated CATs, they manufacture CATs and DPF's for manufacturers.

www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/catalogue/?search-make=HONDA...1

No idea if they actually have the parts in stock but could be worth a call.

I assume the CVT of 2008 vintage is the 1.4, if not another search would be needed.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - Heidfirst
It seems Hondas are being targeted in a big way.

Toyota Prius & Auris hybrids too :(

Toyota have eve brought out "Catlocs" as official accessories but it would seem that these too can be defeated - it just takes them longer ...

Perhaps a case of engineering for easy maintenance/replacement access backfiring when the parts become valuable?

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - Jeff L

Very interesting thread. Can I ask for some information?(I know very little about cars) My wife's 2005 1.4L Honda Jazz CVT (21K miles) has just passed its MOT at the indy we've used for many years. They said there is some corrosion on the exhaust where the sections are bolted together. They said there is no hurry to replace the exhaust system and it might even last until the next MOT, but best to replace rather than try to repair. Not got a price from them yet but looking online there is an after market system for sale at onlineautomotive for £237.89 inc. VAT + delivery charge £10.74. That's for all three sections which includes the catalytic converter. Labour for fitting would have to be added of course. That sounds cheap compared to the prices that have been mentioned on here for a catalytic converter. Any comments? Thanks

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - badbusdriver

looking online there is an after market system for sale at onlineautomotive for £237.89 inc. VAT + delivery charge £10.74. That's for all three sections which includes the catalytic converter. Labour for fitting would have to be added of course. That sounds cheap compared to the prices that have been mentioned on here for a catalytic converter. Any comments? Thanks

Possibly because it is an older car the cat might be less sophisticated?. Not sure really, but here is a link if anyone more knowledgeable wants to have a look,

www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/products.aspx?ID=ewAiAE...A

Edited by badbusdriver on 13/09/2019 at 19:07

I think your mot tester is jumping the gun here. Any 14 year old car on its original exhaust is going to have rusty nuts/ bolts and fittings . Unless there is a problem with the system ,leave it alone . It could easily do another few years without issue.
Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - Jeff L

Thank you. Sounds very reassuring.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - rifuddinC250

Hi

Sorry to read this.

Unfortunately, this happened to my wife's car last night. 2007 CVT Jazz. Worcester Park area at 6.45pm. CCTV shows less than a minute was needed. Reported to police last night, yet to hear from them. Operator informed me of the same to cars being targeted.

What parts were actually needed to be replaced? Do you know if genuine parts were fitted to your car?

Does the car drive/feel any different?

Have you fitted any anti theft device since? I've been reading up on cat locks. Not sure how reliable they are, or if just a deterrent that takes thieves longer to cut through.

My wife loves the car and doesn't want to let it go.

Thanks

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - Senexdriver

I posted about this in relation to my son’s Jazz a few weeks ago and didn’t get any response, as I recall. He now tells me he has had a cage welded around the cat at a cost of £100. It won’t stop the determined thief, but it will certainly make their job harder. He is in south east London.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - Senexdriver

I owe fellow forum members an apology. I traced my earlier post and found that there were in fact 5 responses. Thanks to those who took the trouble and apologies at the same time.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - expat

Apparently the cost of palladium has greatly increased recently which interests the mining industry but also the car thieves.

investingnews.com/daily/resource-investing/preciou.../

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter cut out - amh

Hi

I think the same happened to our 2007 Jazz this evening. Suddenly incredibly noisy but not yet had the chance to inspect it - dark, raining and had to make alternative arrangements to get the children home!

Did you manage to fix your wife's yet? How did you go about it and what was the cost?

Many thanks.

When you get a moment do check.