Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - Bycro
Hi all, though I would write with my thoughts on this great little car that I took delivery of at the end of March last year.

Well, it's just come back from its 40,000 miles service today. It's brake pads are only 10% worn, and the original tyres on the front are still at 3.7mm.

I have refuelled it 74 times since taking delivery,and it is thus far averaging 68.63784 MPG over this period or 25.0585 Kilometres Per Litre.

Driving is about 70% motorway and the rest A&B roads.

It encourages a relaxed driving style, and is very quiet if you stay within the speed limits.

By no means is it quick, but I guess it is not designed to be. Gets me from A to B in comfort with no stress.

Build quality is solid, and having been caretaker to many cars over the past 30 years, including BMW and Mercedes I would rate this as every bit as good.

The Ioniq has been faultless so far, and I will let you know my further thoughts after another 40,000 miles.

Edited by Bycro on 24/07/2019 at 21:09

Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - SLO76
Biggest issue here is depreciation. How much did you pay for it? If you paid anything close to list then you’ve lost a fortune and any fuel savings will be more than wiped out.

I could understand one as a used buy at a fraction of the new price but I’d personally have went for a used Toyota Auris Hybrid Estate which is very easy to sell on again thanks to its popularity within the taxi trade.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/07/2019 at 21:13

Hi SLO76,

The Ioniq is a company lease over four years.

It doesn't belong to me.
Hi SLO76, The Ioniq is a company lease over four years. It doesn't belong to me.

Makes sense. Only real option to have a new one.
Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - colinh

But not if you live in a "hilly" area of the country - Toyota boxes really showing their age in those cirmstances

But not if you live in a "hilly" area of the country - Toyota boxes really showing their age in those cirmstances

I do apologise Colinh but don't really understand your reply ? Are you referring to the gearbox ?
Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - Chris M

"it is thus far averaging 68.63784 MPG"

You're not an accountant by any chance are you?

;)

Edited by Chris M on 24/07/2019 at 22:32

Hi Chris M

No I am not, but we employ many bean counters.

Our CEO was a little dubious regarding hybrids, so asked us to carry out an experiment with the Ioniq to see what the real world fuel consumption would be over its four year lease period.

Each time I refuel I make a note of the mileage and litres put in, and also the date. I then e mail this to the bean counters, and they add the information to a spreadsheet.

They then send a copy back to me, so I always have he latest figures.

Edited by Bycro on 25/07/2019 at 09:02

Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - Chris M

Thanks Bycro. Having worked alongside accountants for many years and drawn the conclusion they know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, I guessed they must be involved somewhere to report mpg to 5 decimal places.

Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - badbusdriver

I do apologise Colinh but don't really understand your reply ? Are you referring to the gearbox ?

I too am baffled by the comment by colinh?!.

Good to hear a review of this car. I see quite a few about this area and i like its looks. I believe it is one of the most aerodynamic cars you can buy which will certainly help the mpg on main road/dual carriegeway/motorway journeys.

Regarding the performance, while obviously not a performance car, nor supposed to be, i have good reason to believe it is actually faster than you might expect and certainly faster than the quoted figures. The Kia Nero hybrid is mechanically identical to the Ioniq and when road tested by Autocar magazine, they found it would accelerate to 60mph in 9.7 seconds, nearly two seconds quicker than Kia's own claims of 11.5 seconds. Furthermore, they were impressed by its 'in gear' acceleration and the fact that you can hold a gear (DCT gearbox) while accelerating (something it seems you can't in a Toyota hybrid).Having said that, from your comments, this will be of little interest as the car encourages you to drive in a relaxed fashion!.

Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - colinh

Yes - live in N. Wales - and spent a a lot of time with Toyota boxes shouting "drop down a gear"

Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - barney100

What did it cost?

What did it cost?

It's leased.
Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - barney100

I was interested to know the lease cost and conditions.

I was interested to know the lease cost and conditions.

Being a company lease, I am afraid I am not really to sure.
Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - Avant

This is a particularly interesting running report - for which many thanks Bycro - as the usual word on the street is that 'ordinary' hybrids (as opposed to the plug-in variety) aren't at their best on motorways. Yet you're getting nearly 69 mpg from open road driving which is a brilliant result.

It would be useful to know whether Toyota's hybrids do as well, particularly as Hyundai and Toyota don't charge excessive prices for their hybrids. Most plug-ins are far more expensive than the petrol equivalents.

Because of the change in fashion, depreciation on EVs and hybrids isn't nearly as prohibitive as it used to be.

Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - daveyK_UK
Ioniq a far better value buy than a Prius; as much as I like Toyota I would choose the Ioniq over a Prius based purely on the discounts available from new and pre reg.

On the topic of Hyundai, hearing good long term ownership feedback regarding the new I30 with the 1.0 engine.
Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - skidpan

Yes - live in N. Wales - and spent a a lot of time with Toyota boxes shouting "drop down a gear"

No fan of the older Toyota Hybrids but the magazines seem to be suggesting that the new Corolla in 2 litre form has taken a large step forward. One day I will have a drive and decide for myself.

However, the comment above clearly shows that the poster knows nothing about Toyota Hybrids. Several points

1. Toyota hybrids are "autos" with no manual override thus don't have the facility for the driver to "drop down a gear"
  2. Since the boxes are CVT's they do not have traditional gears.
  3. Based on personal experience in a hilly area an older Toyota Hybrid would simply increase the revs with no increase in speed but since the Hyundai uses a DCT box I would not expect this to apply to the Ionic to the same degree. Probably why the OP is getting excellent mpg figures.

One question, which Toyota has a box that actually speaks. Reminds me of the MG Montego my boss had back in the 80's. It was constantly shouting at him. One day when we were out it told him the brakes had failed and he just ignored it. Luckily it was the car that was the idiot.

I too was pleasantly surprised by the MPG Avant .

Although I am very light footed, and try to drive with a good deal of mechanical sympathy.

Was also surprised initially, that even when driving on the motorway at speeds of between 65 - 70 MPH the electric motor cuts in to assist the petrol engine.

The 2019 Ioniq is supposed to be even more efficient I have read, apparently this has been achieved by making some changes to the gearing.

I did consider the Prius, but to be honest, its styling wasn't to my taste, and It didn't come with all the gadgets I have on the Ioniq for the price, although on paper the Prius I believe is more economical according to a road test when matched against the Ioniq in a well known motoring magazine.

Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - skidpan

Each time I refuel I make a note of the mileage and litres put in, and also the date. I then e mail this to the bean counters, and they add the information to a spreadsheet.

Are you 100% certain your accountants know how to convert litres to gallons? Your figures are way better than any I have seen published for the Ionic, so much so I do wonder if there is a basic error somewhere.

Premium SE - Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid After 16 Months. - badbusdriver

Are you 100% certain your accountants know how to convert litres to gallons? Your figures are way better than any I have seen published for the Ionic, so much so I do wonder if there is a basic error somewhere.

The 'real mpg' section of this website shows an average of 62.2 mpg, which isn't that far off the OP's figure.

For big mileage use with no company tax bill to worry about I’d rather buy a used Civic 1.6 DTEC which according to HJ’s real mpg does over 3mpg more than the Hyundai despite costing substantially less new or used.

I find also that hybrid owners tend to drive in a more reserved fashion. They tend to be interested in the environment and bought their cars largely based on their green credentials while diesel family car owners tend to drive with a good bit more gusto. I suspect in a direct comparison the Civic would beat the Hyundai by an even greater margin. I certainly found with a moderate right foot in my CRV using the same engine it was possible to break 65mpg on a run and it was a larger, heavier and less aerodynamic car.
For big mileage use with no company tax bill to worry about I’d rather buy a used Civic 1.6 DTEC which according to HJ’s real mpg does over 3mpg more than the Hyundai despite costing substantially less new or used. I find also that hybrid owners tend to drive in a more reserved fashion. They tend to be interested in the environment and bought their cars largely based on their green credentials while diesel family car owners tend to drive with a good bit more gusto. I suspect in a direct comparison the Civic would beat the Hyundai by an even greater margin. I certainly found with a moderate right foot in my CRV using the same engine it was possible to break 65mpg on a run and it was a larger, heavier and less aerodynamic car.

Yes, I do drive in a more reserved fashion, partly because driving the miles I do per year, I would call this self preservation. I probably have no more green credentials than anyone else, but I am £80 net better of in the pocket per month than when driving my previous car a Hyundai i40 diesel because of tax incentives on hybrids. Remember also , you now pay considerably more for diesel than petrol at the pumps, so this would probably negate any financial gain by choosing the Civic diesel.
Hi Skidpan

I will ask the question, they are chartered accountants, but I am unsure of what formula they use.

Here is what I have so far as at last refuel number 74:

Miles = 40,210. Litres used 2582.42. Miles per Litre = 15.57067. MPG = 68.63784. Kilometres per litre =25.0585

Hi Skidpan I will ask the question but am unsure of what formula they use. Here is what I have so far at refuel no 74. Miles covered = 40210. Litres used = 2,582.42 Miles per litre = 15.57067 MPG = 68.63784 Kilometres per litre = 25.0585