Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - Leif
This evening coming home I passed a road blocked by a police car, with multiple fire appliances and police cars in attendance, and a huge fire in the road. According to our village web site, a driver threw a lit cigarette out of his car window. The car behind was a farm vehicle towing a large load of hay bales. The cigarette landed on the hay, and you can guess the rest. Witnesses said flames reached 40 feet high.

HJ has claimed in print that discarded cigarettes are a major cause of engine fires. They are also a major cause of fires in the countryside. As for a driver throwing a cigarette from his car when followed by a trailer of hay bales, it beggers belief that people can be so unobservant.
Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - KenC

I,ve always thought smokers think the world is their ashtray, you only have to look around at bus stops or outside hospitals to see the sea of fag ends. Why they cannot put them in a small tin and take them home has always puzzled me, a filthy habit guaranteed to give you health problems.

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - Chris M

I believe following motorcyclists don't like getting a hot fag butt in the eye either.

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - craig-pd130

I believe following motorcyclists don't like getting a hot fag butt in the eye either.

They certainly don't: I've had a discarded dog-end burn a hole in my jacket. I caught up with the driver at a set of lights. I wasn't particularly proud of my expletive-laced rant at them, but I certainly made them aware of the consequence of their actions.

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - bathtub tom

I was fortunately behind a visor when one hit me at night. The resulting firework display blinded me for a moment.

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - Bromptonaut

Way back when smoking was still allowed in taxis I had one chucked out of a cab window and land on my Brompton bike's front pannier. Flicked it off before it could do any damage. The number that collect/remain around bus stops, office entrances etc suggest smokers' defence that the biodegrade quickly is a fib.

Colleague of mine got slapped with a fine for dropping one on the street in Northampton. She was actually 18 at the time but managed too persuade the enforcement officer she was 17 and at college.

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - Zippy123

Colleague of mine got slapped with a fine for dropping one on the street in Northampton. She was actually 18 at the time but managed too persuade the enforcement officer she was 17 and at college.

Quality colleague there. Not only littering but potentially perverting the course of justice (lucky it wasn't a proper police officer! :-)

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - Redcar01

I work in Sheffield city centre and regularly see council enforcement officers giving fines out for cigarette dropping and litter, its started to see an improvement in fag ends thrown on the floor, as for giving age they check where you live on council database to make sure its you

it seems to be working

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - RaineMan

I get fed up with those who tip out their ashtrays in lay-bys often a few yards from a bin. But then I imagine they would set fire to the bin!

Edited by RaineMan on 26/07/2019 at 10:00

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - Smileyman

Shocking how some people have no respect for public areas, be it a fag end or even just paper litter. Certainly they don't think what could result because of their anti social actions.

Meanwhile, I had a very lucky escape yesterday ... I saw the fire from afar and was able to divert to a nearby country lane (even narrower country lane than the A251) just before I reached the spot . On approach the fire looked very frightening, there was much traffic nearby, a colleague had to drive past much to his concern. Thankfully no-one was injured. I saw that the fire service was in attendance too.

https://www.kent.fire-uk.org/news/incidents/?entry**2=21520

This morning I saw the ground is very scorched, car having been removed.

Throwing cigarettes out of car windows - Bilboman

Throwing a cigarette end - or in fact any object - from a car onto a public road in Spain carries 4 points and a fine between 198 and 3800 Euros. Throwing an object that damages the highway takes the fine up to a maximum 9800 Euros. Cause a forest fire with a discarded ciggy and it's between 3 and 6 years in prison. Dead right!