BMW X4 - Ugly - dan86

Was driving behind a BMW X4 this evening and I was thinking this is one ugly looking rear end to the point where I wanted to vomit then it pulled over and I went round it and saw the front in the mirror and I wanted to vomit some more.

Whilst I am over exaggerating I did think to my self what an ugly looking car and then I realised that money cant by taste.

Is it just me or do all these jumped up X Even number cars and the Mercedes one as well look ugly and pointless?

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I don't think BMW or Mercedes have made a proper good looking car in ages. I'm not talking nessecerely beautiful cars but just cars that are good looking. I personally think most modern Mercedes look vulgar and over stylised.

BMW X4 - Ugly - mss1tw

most modern Mercedes look vulgar and over stylised.

They do, I can't remember the last classy Merc. Probably started when they began making a wide range of front wheel drive hatchbacks. No-one else seems to be bothered by the brand dilution though.

BMW X4 - Ugly - dan86

They do, I can't remember the last classy Merc. Probably started when they began making a wide range of front wheel drive hatchbacks. No-one else seems to be bothered by the brand dilution though.

I remember a time when Mercedes were a symbol of engineering excellence and class but like you say the brand had been so diluted where they have chased all these different customers with all manner of different finance options it seems a Mercedes Benz on your driveway doesn't mean what it used to.

BMW X4 - Ugly - Leif

I remember a time when Mercedes were a symbol of engineering excellence and class but like you say the brand had been so diluted where they have chased all these different customers with all manner of different finance options it seems a Mercedes Benz on your driveway doesn't mean what it used to.

Aren’t prestige cars a combination of performanc and a status symbol? BMW cars look vile outside, and inside they are not premium. Mercedes so etimes look okay outside, but no better than Kia, and inside they are weird. These days all cars are made in a similar way aren’t they? With these cars a signifcant proportion of the ticket price is advertising. Of the peole I know, BMW appeal to boy racers, and younger people, Mercedes appeal to company directors.

BMW X4 - Ugly - Andrew-T

I don't think BMW or Mercedes have made a proper good looking car in ages. I'm not talking nessecerely beautiful cars but just cars that are good looking. I personally think most modern Mercedes look vulgar and over stylised.

I think that goes for most current models from almost any maker. Many cars are hunky and aggressive-looking. Not many elegant shapes have emerged this century IMHO. It's partly due to the fad for SUV's and baby brothers; partly due to having to conform to wind-tunnel optimised shapes so there is little for stylists to do except invent silly lamp clusters and the like.

BMW X4 - Ugly - Wee Willie Winkie

The best example of money can't buy taste is surely the Rolls Royce Cullinan.

BMW X4 - Ugly - Squirrel tail

I recently saw a Range Rover "Convertible" (with the top down). Reminded me of a tank without its turret !

BMW X4 - Ugly - Leif

It’s the worst of a bad bunch, but the roller I saw recently despite being ugly did make a statement, along the lines of “I’m stinking rich, get out of my way prole”. It most resembled a stately home on wheels.

BMW X4 - Ugly - barney100

The S class is a brilliant car, looks good to me as does the E class. Not too sure about the GLA and agree that some of the latest Mercs ain't too pretty. Most of the SUVs look very similar and we are going to need bigger parking spaces.

BMW X4 - Ugly - bazza

I,m not sure anyone has pulled off making a crossover that is elegant. Certainly agree the latest examples from the German prestige marques are woefully ugly. I guess historically we expect those brands to exhibit engineering style and excellence and through their saloons and coupes, there have been many beautiful motors over the years. The crossover is such a design and particularly engineering compromise it's difficult to see how one could be made elegant, with the jacked up ride height and post box windows. On the other hand, they're still turning out nice looking saloons such as the E class, the 5 series, and for me the 4 series coupe is a nice looking thing, if I were in the market, I'd be keen on that.

BMW X4 - Ugly - mss1tw

That grille on an 'off road' vehicle couldn't look any more ridiculous

(Yes I know it's not really off road, but then why design it with pretensions of such i.e. like an SUV)

Edited by mss1tw on 13/07/2019 at 18:04

BMW X4 - Ugly - dan86

It makes a statement but not one of class and taste.

BMW X4 - Ugly - Bolt

Was driving behind a BMW X4 this evening and I was thinking this is one ugly looking rear end

Some diesels smell terrible as well the way they belch out black smoke, not dissimilar to some Fords lately, but agree they look ugly yet they say the ugly stick was pointed at Hondas which in my opinion look far better than most cars around.lol

BMW X4 - Ugly - dan86

Was driving behind a BMW X4 this evening and I was thinking this is one ugly looking rear end

Some diesels smell terrible as well the way they belch out black smoke, not dissimilar to some Fords lately, but agree they look ugly yet they say the ugly stick was pointed at Hondas which in my opinion look far better than most cars around.lol

I've not seen a modern diesel belch out black smoke got to be nearly 10 years since diesel cars did that.

BMW X4 - Ugly - Ethan Edwards

My neighbor has the Mercedes AMG version. Super ugly but he loves it. Whatever floats your boat. He's a nice bloke too.

BMW X4 - Ugly - Bolt

I've not seen a modern diesel belch out black smoke got to be nearly 10 years since diesel cars did that.

seen more than a few smokers and not very old, surprised me at the age of some, all on hard acceleration, not just BMs, Ford, and Vauxhall are as bad, some real chokers about, I wonder if they ever have them serviced .....

BMW X4 - Ugly - dan86

seen more than a few smokers and not very old, surprised me at the age of some, all on hard acceleration, not just BMs, Ford, and Vauxhall are as bad, some real chokers about, I wonder if they ever have them serviced .....

Or the emissions equipment fiddled with

BMW X4 - Ugly - Leif

I’m sure I’ve seen more recent diesels belch clouds of black smoke for a second or two when accelerating.

BMW X4 - Ugly - gordonbennet

Barely a handful of new cars that i consider good looking at now, and most of those from other parts of the world, some available here some not, most handsome car of all for me would be the 2018 Toyota Century.

A new Citroen C Crosser overtook me yesterday, as it approached i assumed it was a Mitsi (is that another joint venture with Mitsi Outlander i wonder) and when it came past it could have been any German SUV from the rear.

I'm fed up to the back teeth with the cloning of cars, how good it was to see a Mercedes on the horizon 30 years ago no mistaking what was coming, and most makes had a defining theme going on, now if it wasn't for the badge you would never guess the brand from design.

Some crass designs at the higher price levels, i don't expect a Landcruiser or other dual purpose vehicle to be particularly pleasing to the eye, as practicalities including off road ability whilst robust enough to withstand the knocks are obvious, but i do expect a large SUV from BMW Merc or Bentley that will only ever have to cope with a patch of grass or a kerb to not make my eyes hurt, and left wondering what on earth the presumably wealthy owner was thinking.

BMW X4 - Ugly - dan86

Some crass designs at the higher price levels, i don't expect a Landcruiser or other dual purpose vehicle to be particularly pleasing to the eye, as practicalities including off road ability whilst robust enough to withstand the knocks are obvious, but i do expect a large SUV from BMW Merc or Bentley that will only ever have to cope with a patch of grass or a kerb to not make my eyes hurt, and left wondering what on earth the presumably wealthy owner was thinking.

As I said money can't by taste

BMW X4 - Ugly - dan86

I’m sure I’ve seen more recent diesels belch clouds of black smoke for a second or two when accelerating.

They must have had their dps removed or a remap or something as I've not noticed like it was on pre euro 5 diesels

BMW X4 - Ugly - gordonbennet

Very few normal looking modern Diesels give out any Diesel smoke as such, condensation on cold mornings yes, the ones that smoke under power usually have some other signs of the type of owner, ie heavily blacked out windows all around, supposed camera beating number plates, oversized tail pipes, lowered etc.

Lots of pre DPF Diesels don't smoke either, my euro 4 doesn't give even the slightest puff, good regular maintenance helps.

BMW X4 - Ugly - Bolt

Very few normal looking modern Diesels give out any Diesel smoke as such, condensation on cold mornings yes, the ones that smoke under power usually have some other signs of the type of owner, ie heavily blacked out windows all around, supposed camera beating number plates, oversized tail pipes, lowered etc.

Lots of pre DPF Diesels don't smoke either, my euro 4 doesn't give even the slightest puff, good regular maintenance helps.

Certain Range Rovers do on hard acceleration, so do BMW X5s which appear the worst, and Vauxhall diesels, Fords are not so clever either but in a lot of cases I think your right in that a lot are not serviced properly/not done at all, a fair few have been less than 3 years old

BMW X4 - Ugly - sammy1

Re the X4, I find this car modern and an eye catcher. It looks particularly good in most colours. I think BMW and MERCs have the market covered for good looking new cars

BMW X4 - Ugly - Bolt

Re the X4, I find this car modern and an eye catcher. It looks particularly good in most colours. I think BMW and MERCs have the market covered for good looking new cars

Yes I wish they were covered so we cant see them, talk about ugly, but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

BMW X4 - Ugly - dan86

Yes I wish they were covered so we cant see them, talk about ugly, but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Maybe they should provide a car cover with all new cars they sell so the owner can hide the car when its parked as not to upset small children

BMW X4 - Ugly - badbusdriver

Maybe it is just my warped mind, but when i see one of the small Merc saloons, the A-Class based one, i can't help thinking it looks like it has been squeezed out of a large bottom.......!

BMW X4 - Ugly - Avant

For complete ugliness nothing beats the German 1951 Hoffmann. Google 'Hoffman car' and you'll see what I mean. Possibly Herr Hoffmann was having a laugh and decided to break every rule of automotive design that there ever was.