Downshifting a manual car - JigneshTapase

Hi, I just recently purchased my first car, and this is also my first manual car I've ever driven. I've had the car now for about a week, I'm learning to downshift at the moment and most of the time I can get away with it, but there has and is still times where I don't match the rpms and I'll get a nudge/Jult from the car. My question is what is that I'm causing harm to and is it significant damage? Also if there's any tips out there for downshifting I'd love to hear them.

Downshifting a manual car - John F

Hold the gear lever gently with just thumb and two fingers, and move it delicately and slowly feeling it into the chosen gear. Let the clutch back in slowly - and that's it, really. No need to double declutch, or even blip the accelerator to match revs these days. Once you get to know the car, you'll be able to do it quickly when necessary, e.g. too high a gear on a rapidly steepening hill. But mostly you don't need to wear the clutch and g/box out at all when slowing or stopping - just snick into neutral and coast to the lights. I shall of course be reprimanded by the usual suspects for this suggestion!

Downshifting a manual car - Leif

I was taught the IAM IPSGA (Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration) technique which helps with gear changes. Basically as you apporoach a hazard such as a roundabout, asses it, get in the correct lane, adjust your speed, select the correct gear, and then when clear, accelerate.

Hold the gear lever gently with just thumb and two fingers, and move it delicately and slowly feeling it into the chosen gear.

You need to get a good grip of your knob. If the only points of contact are the thumb and two fingers, you're not in full control of the car. A hot sweaty paw could easily slide off the gear knob if it doesn't have a good grip.

Downshifting a manual car - mcb100
If it’s the first manual car you’ve driven, did you pass your test in an automatic? Or are you on L plates?
Easy routine is to leave the car in the gear you are in until you are in need of a lower one, then go straight to it. Speed and revs at that point should be pretty well matched.
Downshifting a manual car - Andrew-T

Over 50 years driving manuals, I like to try to change gear in a way that passengers may feel nothing happening. I don't make a meal of it, but the main idea is not to snatch across the gate - allow a moment for the gearbox to do what its synchromesh is designed to. It's not double-declutching, but two quick steps: into neutral, then into the next gear. You may need an hour or two to learn the feel of your gearbox.

I remember driving with a guy who tried to see how fast he could swipe from one gear to another. Didn't feel very comfortable to me. Some people call it mechanical sympathy.

Downshifting a manual car - skidpan

OP, as queried by a previous poster you say in your post

this is also my first manual car I've ever driven

If that is correct and you have never driven a manual car you are clearly not entitled to drive one. To drive a manual car you must have a license for that car and that means passing your test in one. If you don't have a manual licence you are driving illegally and if caught will be charged with, I think "driving not in accordance with your licence", But if you are driving under supervision with "L" plates you will be OK and just need to take the test.

If you are driving illegally and have an accident you will find yourself uninsured and any damage to your own car will not be repaired (the other party will get theirs fixed). You will then find yourself in a load of grief getting insured again and probably loose your licence if the police are involved.

But mostly you don't need to wear the clutch and g/box out at all when slowing or stopping - just snick into neutral and coast to the lights. I shall of course be reprimanded by the usual suspects for this suggestion!

Coasting up to a junction/lights is not illegal but is advised against by all knowledgeable authorities.

• By being in neutral you have no engine braking and loosing that extra retardation could be the difference between a near miss and an accident.
  • Should the need to accelerate occur you would be left searching for the correct gear and again this could be the difference between a near miss and an accident.
  • Wear on the clutch can be ignored. Its slip on moving off and changing up that wears the plate not on a gentle downshift.
  • Gearbox wear when its not under load is totally negligible.

As my instructor said in the early 70's, "loosing speed loose a gear".

Downshifting a manual car - mcb100
As I said, as an IAM member in the ‘80’s and as an instructor in the ‘90’s, ‘Gears to go, brakes to slow’. Keep two hands on the wheel whilst braking, with the car potentially at its least stable, and only select the gears you are going to use.
Downshifting a manual car - edlithgow

As my instructor said in the early 70's, "loosing speed loose a gear".

My instructor in the early 80's (when I said my GF, who had been teaching me to drive, had told me to use engine braking), said

"Yes, girls usually do that. I've never understood why"

Downshifting a manual car - edlithgow

• By being in neutral you have no engine braking and loosing that extra retardation could be the difference between a near miss and an accident.

Most braking systems (all the braking systems I've ever had, apart from the odd badly adjusted bicycle) are capable of locking up the wheels so the tyres skid.

This limits the effective ""retardation" that can be used.

If you can't use the extra braking torque provided by engine braking, why bother with it?

I'd go further, and say it can be harmful, at least on a special case basis, since I have twice spun a FWD car due, I believe, to lift-off engine braking when going downhill in gear.

This wouldn't normally happen to me since I'd normally be coasting in neutral

• "Should the need to accelerate occur you would be left searching for the correct gear and again this could be the difference between a near miss and an accident."

Could happen, but a lot rarer than the fans of this argument would like to believe. Most people are more likely to accelerate into trouble rather than out of it.

• "Gearbox wear when its not under load is totally negligible"

If you are engine braking, the gearbox is under load, pretty much by definition, and you've reversed the direction of the load, which seems likely to increase wear. Probably not a very important source of wear, but wear nevertheless.

Edited by edlithgow on 12/07/2019 at 14:17

Downshifting a manual car - galileo

If you can't use the extra braking torque provided by engine braking, why bother with it?

I'd go further, and say it can be harmful, at least on a special case basis, since I have twice spun a FWD car due, I believe, to lift-off engine braking when going downhill in gear.

This wouldn't normally happen to me since I'd normally be coasting in neutral

• "Gearbox wear when its not under load is totally negligible"

If you are engine braking, the gearbox is under load, pretty much by definition, and you've reversed the direction of the load, which seems likely to increase wear. Probably not a very important source of wear, but wear nevertheless.

Here in the Pennines there are many long, fairly steep hills, coasting down these in neutral would soon have you at very high speeds unless you preferred to ride the brakes all the way.

Many people do just that, then stop at a junction or traffic lights at the bottom and sit with a foot on the brakes, a good method to a) wear pads and discs and b) help to warp the hot discs when stationary..

My Father-in-law worked his way up to be a Director at David Brown's gears (a proper, time-served engineer) and had no concerns about the effect of engine braking (used sensibly) on gearboxes - make of that what you will.

I believe the likes of Hamilton and Vettel still change down when slowing for corners, don't think they rely entirely on brakes (and use some momentum to re-charge the battery, which will reverse transmission thrust direction anyway)

Downshifting a manual car - Manatee

I believe the likes of Hamilton and Vettel still change down when slowing for corners, don't think they rely entirely on brakes (and use some momentum to re-charge the battery, which will reverse transmission thrust direction anyway)

Hamilton, Vettel & co use sequential gearboxes but they go down through the gears very rapidly under very heavy braking if you watch/listen to them. They do a lot of 'lift and coast' either to conserve fuel or manage engine temperature when necessary but whether that makes any difference I don't know - I doubt it.

Edited by Manatee on 13/07/2019 at 09:50

Downshifting a manual car - Manatee

the main idea is not to snatch across the gate - allow a moment for the gearbox to do what its synchromesh is designed to. It's not double-declutching, but two quick steps: into neutral, then into the next gear. You may need an hour or two to learn the feel of your gearbox.

I remember driving with a guy who tried to see how fast he could swipe from one gear to another. Didn't feel very comfortable to me. Some people call it mechanical sympathy.

The MX-5 owners' club forum regularly gets posts from people complaining of a "notchy gearbox" often in a new car. I suppose one or two might have a fault, but I suspect most of them just haven't got the feel of it. If they've come from a front drive car then then the lever-selector connection is also more communicative than cables and springs. Synchro's great, but not instantaneous. Use gentle pressure and it will insert its own pause. I'm sure some people just apply more force at that point.

Mechanical things are less intuitive perhaps for the games-controller generation:)

Downshifting a manual car - RaineMan

I am surprised that some people say the MX5 has a notchy gearbox. A number of companies now offer MX5 gearbox upgrades for the MG Midget, B and V8 to achieve a five speed box!

Edited by RaineMan on 11/07/2019 at 17:23

Downshifting a manual car - bathtub tom

I understood the current teaching was : 'gears to go, brake s to slow'?

As to grabbing the knob firmly.............................................. Nurse, nurse, we need help here.

Downshifting a manual car - Leif

I understood the current teaching was : 'gears to go, brake s to slow'?

As to grabbing the knob firmly.............................................. Nurse, nurse, we need help here.

Sorry to hear you need help. Is this a common occurrence?