Astra 1.6 ecotec d - Astra 19 Plate Clutch Issue - GhostWalker

All

I have had the fault message come up 'Reduced performance, reduce clutch use' come up, followed by 'Service: Transmission'

Called breakdown out who advised it's a clear clutch and transmission fault, probably sensors that may require them to be rewired, reprogrammed or if gearbox affected then gearbox taken apart and rebuilt!

When it happened revs were all over the place and gear notifications went berserk, but car didnt go into limp mode.

Taken to dealership who are going to look at it under warranty.

Astra 1.6 eco d 19 plate only 5500 miles on the clock, and driven normally not ragged!

Managed to get images of fault messages on dash to as back up evidence.

This has to be a manufacturer fault right? But nothing against Vauxhall for recall on this. Reading lots of people with same issue, so I assume Vauxhall will have to act on this.

Bit concerning on a new car with low mileage!

Astra 1.6 ecotec d - Astra 19 Plate Clutch Issue - 3uga

If its a automatic that uses dry clutches, your not going to get rid of this problem.

That transmission was designed more for long jurnies. If you want to reduce the chance of this type of problem hapening, you should know that this is not a normal automatic. Geting stuck in traffic and keeping the transmission in drive and brake pedal depresed will slip the cluch and create wear and heat.

My recomandation is to find out if its a dual clutch transmission ( without torque converter) and if that is the case, you should change your driving habbits.

Every time you come to a stop get the transmission out of gear (S/D) and take it to Neutral (N) or just select Park (P) if you plan o being stoped for a longer time.

Also, try to adapt your driving to the conditions of the road in the sense that when you come to a stop put it in neutral and get your foot of the brake pedal so the transmission doesent create any stress on the pressure bearings inside the clutch. I recomend using the autohold feature so you dont have keep the brake wile stoped so the car doesent go downhill. Doing this will prevent you from needing to use brake pedal.

Edited by 3uga on 09/07/2019 at 13:02