Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo MK4 thumping sound from rear? - Abdullah Imad

Hi all,

I've just paid a grand for a 2013 Mondeo that was used as a taxi from new. It's got 220,000 miles on it but is in excellent condition. Previous owner serviced it every 10k miles and past it's last MOT with no advisories.

I didn't get a chance to test drive it before I shook on the deal (it was SORN as owner received new taxi which meant I couldn't insure it in my name until I was the registered keeper)

Soon after leaving his home, I noticed a thumbing sound from the left passenger side wheel area. It is usually there at low speeds under 30ish mph and when braking.

Any ideas what it could be? It's just passed its MOT with no advisories so a little disappointed. I wanted the car to last a year lol. The car doesn't feel out of alignment and doesn't veer at all. We drove it back home 180 miles with no issues (apart from the noise at low speeds/braking). Do you think it's the tyres?

Thanks in advance!

Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo MK4 thumping sound from rear? - trebor1
Impossible to diagnose properly remotely. Get the wheel off and look at brakes, and all suspension components, wheel , tyres etc If the car has been stood could be brake binding so may need a brake caliper. But as I say impossible to say on paper!

Id be checking the entire car over anyway if just purchased.
Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo MK4 thumping sound from rear? - Abdullah Imad

Thanks mate...Will take it to a garage as I'm not very handy.

He said that the car was not being used for a few weeks, would that be long enough for the brakes to bind?

Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo MK4 thumping sound from rear? - galileo

Thanks mate...Will take it to a garage as I'm not very handy.

He said that the car was not being used for a few weeks, would that be long enough for the brakes to bind?

Or flat-spot a tyre that was down on pressure?

Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo MK4 thumping sound from rear? - 3uga

You should look for new shock absorber. That usualy makes a sort of a ratle