Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - Slowe

Hi Folks

• I'm thinking of buying a hybrid SUV in the near future. I was interested to read a Rav4 hybrid vs CRV hybrid comparison test on the Autoexpress website. The test compared 2wd versions of the cars. The Rav4 won the test as it was more practical, more efficient and marginally better to drive. This seems to be quite different to HJ's assessment. The Toyota's longer 5 year warranty also has significant appeal to me. Does anyone have any feelings about which of these cars would be the best purchase? ( I will probably buy the 4wd hybrid version. It will be a cash purchase. I drive approximately 12000 miles per year. I'm not sure how long I will keep it for. )
  • Thanks in advance
  • Owen

PS I'm sorry that I couldn't link it to the article but it's on the autoexpress website if anyone is interested .

PPS I do also plan on test driving the cars but was interested in hearing any backroomers views beforehand

Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - daveyjp
Quite a good review of RAV4. Its US, but highlights good and bad.

youtu.be/eJKwS1NpHH0

Those wheelarch 'spats' don't do anything for this vehicle. They are however a nice place for lots of rainwater, mud and road salt to hide behind and rot the bodywork.

Edited by daveyjp on 29/06/2019 at 17:24

Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - andyfr

I have had a 4wd Rav4 Hybrid for just over three years. I intend to do a write up on here when I get time.

Edited by andyfr on 29/06/2019 at 18:10

Hi Daveyjp. Thanks for the link to the Rav4 YouTube video. I like Doug DeMuro's reviews. The sun is always shining. He makes me want to watch " Better Call Saul"

Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - SLO76
To be honest they’re both good cars. Utterly reliable, very practical and well made. I doubt either would give you a moments bother so the only way to pick between them is for you to take a proper test drive in both and simply buy the one you like the most. With your low mileage though I doubt the added expense of a hybrid will pay for itself but they’ll be easier to sell on again afterwards with the current swing to electric and hybrid.

SLO76. Sound advice as always. Thanks

Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - SLO76
I should add that when swmbo gets her first teacher pay we’ll most likely be looking at nearly new examples of both and possibly the facelifted Mazda CX-5 skyactiv petrol. All preferably auto. Her snob gland won’t allow me to keep her in bangerdom for much longer. I’ll be happily smoking around in a cheap heap however.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/06/2019 at 00:53

Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - Heidfirst

I don't know what Honda dealers are quoting for delivery on a CRV but Toyota don't appear able to keep up with demand for the new RAV4 in the UK atm. Depending upon options some people are apparently being quoted a up to a year for delivery ...

I am sure that they'll get it under control at some point.

Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - andyfr

One thing to bear in mind if a spare wheel is important to you, the Rav4 comes with one but the CRV doesn't and I believe there isn't space for one.

Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - badbusdriver

I don't know what Honda dealers are quoting for delivery on a CRV but Toyota don't appear able to keep up with demand for the new RAV4 in the UK atm. Depending upon options some people are apparently being quoted a up to a year for delivery ...

I am sure that they'll get it under control at some point.

You'd hardly credit a Toyota being in that position, at least not a RAV4, maybe the new Supra?

Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - Avant

Maybe they have the same problem as Kia with the e-Niro - shortage of batteries. And demand is up because diesel has gone out of fashion.

You'd hardly credit a Toyota being in that position, at least not a RAV4, maybe the new Supra?

The first year's production of Supras is sold out in the UK & there is a waiting list. That's a limited production vehicle though (there are only 900 for Europe this year ) built by Magna Steyr in Graz. UK RAV4s should come from Takaoka and Nagakusa factories in Japan with far higher capacities. US sales of RAV4s are up ~10% - over a year that adds about the equivalent of 1/2 the total European annual demand - but they are built in Canada.

The RAV4 hybrid needs a far smaller battery than the e-Niro so I don't know if that is the issue. It will all come out in the wash, no doubt.

Toyota RAV4 - Buying a hybrid SUV. Rav4 v CRV comparison - Metropolis.
How about a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV?

Heidfirst- if the waiting list for the Rav4 is that long I had better get my skates on and arrange a test drive. Thanks

Andyfr. Yes, if the Rav4 is the only one that has space for a spare wheel then that makes it a significantly more attractive proposition. I once had an E61 BMW 520d that had run flats. I managed to puncture a rear tyre on the way to catch a ferry. I thought I would be ok to catch the boat but unfortunately the rear tyre was shredded after about 10 miles. The car was heavily laden and had a couple of bikes on the back. Thanks

Metropolis. I hadn't previously considered the Outlander PHEV. It has some attractions including a higher towing limit ( in case I decide to go back to caravanning ). However I would be a bit uneasy about spending a large amount of money on what is now a slightly old design. Thanks

Heidfirst- if the waiting list for the Rav4 is that long I had better get my skates on and arrange a test drive. Thanks

It seems to be exacerbated by choosing certain options (2WD & panoramic roof have been mentioned). There apparently are/were a limited no. of vehicles that dealers had ordered for stock rather than for particular customers so if you can be flexible on your choices then you possibly could get something much faster.

Dealers have supposedly been told not to sell their demonstrators before December as Toyota can't promise that they would be able to supply replacements to them before then.