Keyless Theft - hissingsid

The article on the Top Ten Cars most vulnerable to keyless theft should be compulsory reading for those who have a garage but do not use it for it's intended purpose.

I live in a close of 17 properties, all with garages and more than half with double garages, yet I am one of only three owners who garage their cars. The rest fill their garages with push bikes, freezers and discarded furniture, yet they probably tell their insurers that their cars are garaged overnight.

If their cars get stolen they have only themselves to blame.

Keyless Theft - badbusdriver

www.amazon.co.uk/Blockr-Keyless-Entry-Signal-Prote...6

Keyless Theft - Kekettykek

Save yourself £23.99 and get a biscuit tin.

Keyless Theft - alan1302

I have a garage and don't use it for my car? Why do you think I like to my insurance company about it?

Keyless Theft - gordonbennet

There is such a thing as lockable gates, which are better for keeping prowlers out of your grounds altogether, and no we don't lie about our 3 cars being on the drive instead of in the one car garage....though none of our cars have keyless facility and none ever will.

This is a typical example of the modern trend to complain about the secondary issue...the first issues here are poorly designed cars preferably avoided which HJ has correctly listed, plus low life thieves with no intention of working for a living who if ever caught are seldom punished hard enough, but in modern Britain we'll tackle the secondary issue instead as the first are ignored, in this case its apparently the fault of the owners for not garaging their cars if they get stolen, you couldn't make this stuff up.

Keyless Theft - Engineer Andy

Owners are at fault (in a legal sense) if they tell their insurer they garage their car and then don't - that's fraud, and they deserve to have their claim refused, at the very least, assuming they don't tell the insurer that they pride and joy wasn't securely locked away.

Many car owners, especially at this time of year, are asking for trouble as well, by leaving their windows open a couple of inches when unattented, especially over night, as local youths, junkies and general thieves can easily gain access to steal valuables (also often left in the car) by yanking the window down. They don't need any fancy scanning devices - just a decent pair of hardy gloves.

The car manufacturers have only themselves to blame about security issues with keyless entry though. Unless and until this gets resolved, any new car I buy will either be one without this 'feature' or has it disabled by the dealership so I would just use the blipper, assuming the car in question didn't have a traditional 'key' as the final backup if the blipper battery stops working.

Keyless Theft - FP

I am affected by this stupid piece of design. I keep my keys overnight in a metal cashbox.

I believe some manufacturers are now installing an on/off switch to the key. Why this wasn't a feature right from the beginning is anyone's guess.

Keyless Theft - CHarkin

I believe a couple of manufacturers have fitted motion sensors to the key fob so that if the key has been motionless for say 40 seconds the fob is turned off and only reactivates when the key is moved. Simple idea that pretty well solves the problem.

Its one thing having a metal can at home but what about other times, on holiday, overnight stay or whatever, Im not carrying a can about with me all the time and if like me you have other key and a dog whistle on the keyring it may not fit anyway.

Edited by CHarkin on 23/06/2019 at 14:35

I believe a couple of manufacturers have fitted motion sensors to the key fob so that if the key has been motionless for say 40 seconds the fob is turned off and only reactivates when the key is moved. Simple idea that pretty well solves the problem.

Its one thing having a metal can at home but what about other times, on holiday, overnight stay or whatever, Im not carrying a can about with me all the time and if like me you have other key and a dog whistle on the keyring it may not fit anyway.

That deactivtaion by a movement sensor won't work if they key's in your pocket whilst out at the shops, where quite a few cars are broken into (far easier for the thief to hide in plain sight in a multi-story car park by pretending to be another shopper).

What they should have, as FP says, is an on/off switch (which also deactivates the same in the car) so that it goes back to an 'old-style' blipper key. I'd also rather pay a bit more for the car to have a proper lock and key as well (even if it's only for the driver's side - what - £100 more when new [woo!]), in case the key battery dies and for some reason I don't have the spare to hand. It's not as though we've been hearing of a spate of thefts from or of modern cars with that feature.

I'd save the difference in lower insurance premiums in a handful of years.

Keyless Theft - nailit

Get a preventer key fob wallet.

A tin box will not prevent the the key fob being 'read by the thieving scumbags . I tested mine and the car still opened,( there is a small rubber button in the handle as an alternative to pressing the key fob).

I tested the key/mobile wallet (Arivealive Defender, and no I have no connection to the company) and it successfully blocked the signal.

I'm not sure a microwave will work either, I once 'tested' my mobile inside and phoned it from another and it rang. Not sure it's the same but I then tried it when purchasing a new microwave in a large electrical store, and the mobile worked in all 4 microwaves tested. Yup I know I'm banal n the extreme.

Edited by nailit on 24/06/2019 at 10:45

That device may block the signal, but because it's always on, the battery will drain VERY quickly compared to a standand old school blipper fob (mine's still on the original battery after 13.5 years) and if I recall, the newer design fobs cost a lot more to have their battery replaced.

Keyless Theft - Andrew-T

One simple solution is to drive a car which no-one wants to steal or break into .... :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 24/06/2019 at 12:20

One simple solution is to drive a car which no-one wants to steal or break into .... :-)

Yes, 'bangernomics' rule!

Keyless Theft - gordonbennet

Yes i know that's meant tongue in cheek, but sadly that is how many people have to live their lives depending to some extent on where they live, again a secondary solution because as a society we have failed to fix the first problem, that being criminal scum who make everyone's (not in the elite or political class* club)lives a misery.

*One Boris Johnson and girlfriend have just found out what its like to live among an enemy, but in other ways.

*One Boris Johnson and girlfriend have just found out what its like to live among an enemy, but in other ways.

Funny that you mention him seeing he is clearly a fan of bangernomics with his dog eared 25 year old Toyota previa!

www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/NINTCH...0

Keyless Theft - skidpan

The rest fill their garages with push bikes, freezers and discarded furniture, yet they probably tell their insurers that their cars are garaged overnight.

We have 2 garages and 3 cars. Obviously one car has to be outside a garage but its a lottery which that will be on any single night. I don't lie, I simply tell the insurers that none are garaged.

Total cost of insurance is about £450 for all 3. Would it be any cheaper if I said they were garaged, doubt it.

The rest fill their garages with push bikes, freezers and discarded furniture, yet they probably tell their insurers that their cars are garaged overnight.

We have 2 garages and 3 cars. Obviously one car has to be outside a garage but its a lottery which that will be on any single night. I don't lie, I simply tell the insurers that none are garaged.

Total cost of insurance is about £450 for all 3. Would it be any cheaper if I said they were garaged, doubt it.

I suspect it makes more of a difference in higher crime areas, which are obviously a higher insurance risk and thus any measure designed to reduce the likelihood of a car crime might result in a significant reduction in the premium. As long as the garage has a decent lock on it. Given the size of most standard domestic garages these days, most car would be difficult to get in them (and for the occupants to be able to get in and out) anyway!

Keyless Theft - pyruse

Why not have a car that will only start if a device is physically inserted into a slot in the steering wheel. Maybe we could call it a key?

This is a prime example of technology for the sake of it which makes things less secure, same category as internet connected door locks....