Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - Catherine Yeomans

Hi, first tine posting and I know very little about vans in general...

We are looking to buy a camper van and have found one that fits all of our criteria, it is 17 years old, and on checking its MOT history it has had what sounds like some fairly major issues in the past. in 2017 the rear brake pipe was excessively corroded, in 2014 the structure had 'excessive corrosion seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of body mountings' at the front, offside, offside rear, offside front and nearside. The failing items have then disappeared, assuming fixed, and as they haven't reappeared I'd hope it's a proper fix.The last MOT also stated 'nearside front outer corroded and holed' as an advisory....

We are going to view it but my question is, how do we know they have been sorted properly, and is it actually worth considering a van that has had so many issues? We want it to be safe for our family but also have a budget to work within.

We've been looking around online but can't find much to help. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - badbusdriver

First thing is, the van is 17 years old, it isn't in the spring of youth, so you can't really expect it not to have had any corrosion. If you don't know what to look for, try and find a family member or friend who does and who could come with you. Failing that, see if the AA or RAC could do an inspection. I know they do for cars, not sure about campers. Possibly a trusted local garage would be willing to?

Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - Gibbo_Wirral

I'd ask on a specific forum for campervan owners. You might find someone else with one who can advise what to look for.

Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - daveyjp
The fundamental issue with van chassis is they are built for a price. Most are used for panel vans, delivery vans etc. Very hard use for a few years (potentially 300,000 miles) then they are scrapped. A 17 year old panel van is worth about what it costs to fill with fuel.

The same chassis is used on camper vans which may do 3,000 a year then sit in a field for months on end, but at 17 years old and 30-40,000 miles are somehow suddenly worth thousands.

Any camper over 5 years old with low mileage needs to be on a ramp for a full inspection as it can get very expensive very quickly.

Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - Catherine Yeomans

Thanks all, we will make sure it gets a good look over and I'll find a camper van specific site. Good to know it's not necessarily a deal breaker but we will be wary. Campers are so expensive for what they are! Seem to hold their value not too bad and hopefully will give us some fun times so we're think it will be worth it! Thanks

Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - Wasabi
Hi Catherine, I’m sorry if I’m going a bit off-topic: If your budget does not stretch to something newer, why not look at a caravan instead? A MUCH less costly and less risky purchase by comparison. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run. Likely more comfortable. And there are very few places that you can go with a camper that you can’t reach also with a caravan. Just a thought
Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - Andrew-T
If your budget does not stretch to something newer, why not look at a caravan instead? A MUCH less costly and less risky purchase by comparison.

The downside to that is if you do not own a car capable of towing, you may need to change the car too. Either a campervan or a caravan has to be put somewhere (and insured) when out of use, so have you considered hiring if you won't be using it that often?

If the underbody corrosion has been welded and made good, it will likely be covered in underseal so it won't be easy to tell what it is really like.

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/06/2019 at 15:47

Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - Big John

Don't just rely on MOT advisories - you need someone to check over fully. Ignoring brake pipes (usually easy fix) excessive body corrosion is a major issue and usually if one bit has failed then the rest usually follows - sometimes it can be a water trap/poor drain where everything else is sound - (eg Citroen Picasso has a sill weakpoint that fills with water). Also if welding repairs not properly repaired/dressed/proofed then more rust quickly follows due to the heat of the welding.

If you are not sure - don't buy!

Edited by Big John on 21/06/2019 at 23:51

Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - bathtub tom

I wouldn't touch a previously welded vehicle with a barge pole - they only rust more.

I'd go with the 'buy a caravan and tow car' advice. The problem with motorhomes is you have to pack everything up to use it as vehicle during the day. No problem if you're happy with it being where it's parked while you're staying, but surely the whole point of this type of vehicle is 'touring'.

Another disadvantage I see is you have to level the vehicle every time you stop (unless you don't mind sleeping on a slope). A caravan only needs to be levelled once.

A further disadvantage is you can lose you spot on a site if you drive away for a bit of touring.

A colleague has found he needs a doctors certificate to continue using his motorhome because it's over 7.5 tonnes and he's reached his 70th birthday and effectively needs an LGV check up!

Edited by bathtub tom on 22/06/2019 at 00:28

Peugeot autosleeper - Buying second hand campervan with 'fixed' rust - nellyjak

Firstly...any 17 year old vehicle is going throw up some nasties so none of the MOT stuff is of any surprise....caveat emptor....it's not a risk free purchase that's for sure and I'd try and stretch my budget a bit to find something newer..or wait until I can.

Caravan v. campervan.?..I've had both and it depends what you want the unit for.?..if it's touring..(1 or 2 nights stop-over)..then go campervan...if it's staying a week on a site somewhere then maybe the caravan is the better choice.

Many peeps with a campervan would have a drive-away awning that denotes the pitch is in use when you have gone out...there are ways of marking your pitch.!

I agree the tow car issue has to be addressed if you are going to tow.

My personal choice now would be a campervan/motorhome...but not big...although I've towed many times I can't say that It's something I enjoyed doing....horses for courses I guess.