Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - spartacus1957

My boss had recently come to the end of his PCP contract and asked me to deal with the driver who had come to collect the Mercedes. I got chatting to him and enquired where this car will end up. 'In a field somewhere' he tells me and goes on to say there are thousands and thousands of vehicles parked up, at the end of their contracts. What a waste! they could be sold on at good prices to drivers quite happy to drive a 3 year old Merc (I'm one of them!) - presumably all because it will impact on new car prices or so they can control used car prices.

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - Sulphur Man

"In a field somewhere" suggests he doesnt actually know. Thousands isnt a lot. There's 31 million cars registered in the UK, with an increasing majority on PCP.

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - Falkirk Bairn

PCP cars go to auction or to Bank/Finance company preferred buyers

e.g. Motorpoint buy 2 year old ex-lease cars as long as they are under 25K.

Peak return months (New Reg months) can sit in fields as they are put through auctions in the coming months

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - SLO76
They go to auction, sometimes closed auctions where only main dealers can bid. Each leasing firm will have specific auction houses they use, my Honda CRV for example headed to Newcastle I believe and was sold to a main dealer.

Cars on a PCP will typically go back to the dealer that supplied them but I’m not sure if they take them into stock or simply process them. In my day we took them.

Possibly they do sit in a field or yard for a while.
Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - Gibbo_Wirral

They're a rapidly depreciating asset. Even if they've made their money from the first leaser it would be prudent for the business owner to get shut ASAP.

I can't see them "sitting in a field".

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 21/06/2019 at 13:34

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - Terry W

There are a number of players in the game and the contractual relationships are probably somewhat variable - original supplier/dealer, main dealer network, manufacturer, finance company.

But the value of an asset worth (say) £7-15k plummets if just left in a field. The field also may need security, insurance, rental, ties up money etc. So stockpiling 2-4 year old cars in a field generally won't make good business sense.

Exceptions may be made if they want to drip feed them into the market to maintain used prices over a few months. Cars that are three years old on return will almost certainly not be current spec or even superceded by a new model and the field treatment would be a complete waste of effort.

Therefore there are just a few options for returned cars:

1. good condition, full service history, no damage etc will be fed rapidly into main dealer network as used stock
  2. the balance of (1) not required by main dealers + generally good vehicles requiring little more than a valet will likely go in volume to car supermarkets which can take 10-100 similar spec vehicles in one go.
  3. The remainder, many of which may need some remedial work or lack good history will go to auction - bought by smaller dealers in small numbers + general public
  4. The clearly below par will also go to auction with most bought by the public at a perceived large discount to a full price.

This is of course just guesswork but I suspect not far adrift from what actually happens!

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - gordonbennet

They sit in fields to maintain a steady, not oversupply, of used vehicles to keep some sort of control over used values.

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - Avant

"They go to auction, sometimes closed auctions where only main dealers can bid. Each leasing firm will have specific auction houses they use, my Honda CRV for example headed to Newcastle I believe and was sold to a main dealer.

Cars on a PCP will typically go back to the dealer that supplied them but I’m not sure if they take them into stock or simply process them. In my day we took them. Possibly they do sit in a field or yard for a while."

I suspect that cars owned by leasing companies go through the sitting in a filed / auction process; but with private PCPs as mine are, it depends what the dealer wants to do with the trade-in. The best PX deals are when the dealer can put the car straight on to his forecourt, as with SWMBO's A1, 2.5 years old and 20,000 miles and, crucially, being traded in for another Audi. Many main dealers have only their own make as used stock.

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - jc2

Some are even re-leased!

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - Falkirk Bairn

2nd hand cars re leased!

The initial Lease / PCP often has discounts on list prices for the lease companies & subsidised interest rates to make the deal feasible..

About 4 years ago a neighbour leased a new 320d Msport / Xdrive / auto

IIRC it was £400 /£420 for 48 months with £12K balloon at the end - the total cost was some £4K under the then list price.

Same garage & same car BUT 6 months, 3,000 miles on clock was more expensive - no subsidy on Interest rate

Even ex day rent cars (6 - 9 mths old with say 10/12K on the clock were £460 / mth - the screen price was well down BUT the Interest rate of say 10% (& the odd cleaning, admin charge etc) was a lot more than the 1.9% rate my neighbour paid on the new car.

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - John F

IIRC it was £400 /£420 for 48 months with £12K balloon at the end - the total cost was some £4K under the then list price.

Even ex day rent cars (6 - 9 mths old with say 10/12K on the clock were £460 / mth

This PCP business seems an astonishingly expensive way to run cars. I have kept accurate motoring records since Jan 1980 and in those 234 months have spent a total of £55,100 on eight cars - one new, the others mostly nearly new (Fiesta Ghia, two plush Passats and a Focus for SWMBO; a TR7 and three big Audis for me) - and we still have three of them (Focus, TR7, A8). That's less than £100 per car pcm, falling as the months roll by.

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - madf

Even ex day rent cars (6 - 9 mths old with say 10/12K on the clock were £460 / mth

This PCP business seems an astonishingly expensive way to run cars. I have kept accurate motoring records since Jan 1980 and in those 234 months have spent a total of £55,100 on eight cars - one new, the others mostly nearly new (Fiesta Ghia, two plush Passats and a Focus for SWMBO; a TR7 and three big Audis for me) - and we still have three of them (Focus, TR7, A8). That's less than £100 per car pcm, falling as the months roll by.

I would be ashamed to be read comparing costs over 38 years without adjusting for inflation as it is just so meaningless.

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - John F

I would be ashamed to be read comparing costs over 38 years without adjusting for inflation .....

>39yrs - keep up! It would have needlessly complicated and lengthened the post....especially if I had also included an adjustment for the estimated current market value of the three remaining cars, which would have offset the inflation adjustment somewhat. It was enough to make the point.

Mercedes et al - All those cars at the end of their PCP - jc2

Prestige "pre-owned" cars certainly be leased.