MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - glennbtn

Hi all

After some advise. Bought a brand New MG ZS at the end of October 2018. I have now noticed many rust spots on the car for example all 4 sill jacking points are rusty various places under the bonnet.

Now here do I stand with this as a car is so new it should not have this rust and it's been looked after since delivery with washing and polishing etc. All outside body work seems to be ok.

Make me wonder if something was missed at the factory.

Thanks

Glenn

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - badbusdriver

Hi all

After some advise. Bought a brand New MG ZS at the end of October 2018. I have now noticed many rust spots on the car for example all 4 sill jacking points are rusty various places under the bonnet.

Now here do I stand with this as a car is so new it should not have this rust and it's been looked after since delivery with washing and polishing etc. All outside body work seems to be ok.

Make me wonder if something was missed at the factory.

Thanks

Glenn

Doesn't the car have a warranty?, doesn't said warranty include corrosion?

In fact, here is the relevant page on the MG website,

mg.co.uk/owners/warranty/

Better check yours ORB!

Its does and if having 1 rust spot to deal with would not be too much of a problem but this would mean many places needing a respray and a car of this age should not have all this rust.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - oldroverboy.

Doesn't the car have a warranty?, doesn't said warranty include corrosion?

In fact, here is the relevant page on the MG website,

mg.co.uk/owners/warranty/

Better check yours ORB!

What colour is yours? Mine is Metallic silver and absolutely fine..December 2017 so 2 winters.. Checked underneath the other week when in for a puncture, looks ok to me.

To the OP, Take it to your dealer ( and be nice to them!) Phone MG Customer services if you want and write an email to letters@honestjohn.co.uk giving details and your registration, and mileage. He can always add it to the good and bad section when he has verified it.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 17/06/2019 at 18:02

Its does and if having 1 rust spot to deal with would not be too much of a problem but this would mean many places needing a respray and a car of this age should not have all this rust.

Get it dealt with under warranty, and then, if you (rightly) are concerned about it coming back, sell/trade in the car. But it certainly is a concern if a new car has issues like this. If there is an MG forum, go on and find out if anyone else has experienced similar problems (obviously ORB's one is fine).

mine is white hence it when rust was spotted it stood out like a sore thumb.

I have connected he dealer and supplied some pictures. I then received no response and had to chase to then be told to book it in for a warranty claim. Dealer then cancelled the visit as the MG system was down and would call back when up and running again to book another visit. Funnily enough I have not heard anything again.

What also worries me is that everyone else's seems ok after speaking to many on the internet over the weekend.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - Andrew-T

mine is white hence it when rust was spotted it stood out like a sore thumb.

Can you tell from the plastic or other parts when this car left the factory? It may have sat somewhere outdoors for months before sale. There may be some dated stickers under the bonnet, for example.

On lots of white cars rust "spots" stand out" more than other cars, but your dealer can photograph the car for MG. Call the people on the helpline, they can at least direct you.

Where in the country are you? Have you bought a pre wltp car? (so pre aug 2018 build) which could mean a bit older..

was it a pre-reg?

check the build dates using the chassis number...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 17/06/2019 at 19:49

@oldroverboy Where can I check on line with the chassis number to confirm production dates?

I live in Sussex and the car was registered the day I picked it up. Also only just been in stock at the dealers as they seem to be able to sell them as pastas they get them.

I know as someone said I could sell it after getting it sorted but then I loose money. My question to the dealer will be why rusting in the 1st place and why multiple spots. 1 would be bad enough with a 7 month old car.

Thanks

Glenn

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - paul 1963

Rather unkind and totally unhelpful but why do you think there so cheap? sorry....

I'm no legal expert but you may have a case to reject it? if it was my car I would park it on there forecourt for all to see...it would soon be sorted.

Rather unkind and totally unhelpful but why do you think there so cheap? sorry....

I'm no legal expert but you may have a case to reject it? if it was my car I would park it on there forecourt for all to see...it would soon be sorted.

They are not cheap compared to the rest of the market in the budget sector, but they are cheap compared to a Kia stonic or a Seat because China is a lower cost manufacturing base and this is part of the economic push to get market share.

It is probably boring by now, but Given the price I paid for mine and the minor issues that have been fixed without quibble by a good main dealer, I will have a look at the HS when it appears. There are more and more of them around Colchester ...

@oldroverboy Where can I check on line with the chassis number to confirm production dates?

I live in Sussex and the car was registered the day I picked it up. Also only just been in stock at the dealers as they seem to be able to sell them as pastas they get them.

I know as someone said I could sell it after getting it sorted but then I loose money. My question to the dealer will be why rusting in the 1st place and why multiple spots. 1 would be bad enough with a 7 month old car.

Thanks

Glenn

You have two choices really.

1, Get it fixed under warranty and keep it, hoping that the rust won't reappear. The paintwork section of the warranty says 3 years, so if the rust comes back within that period, in theory, you should be able to get it fixed again. Obviously if it comes back after that period, you will have to deal with it yourself.

2, Get it fixed under warranty, then sell it or trade it in. Yes, you will lose money, but you won't have to constantly be worrying about rust coming back.

There is no way they will tell you why it is rusting, because to do so would be to admit the car is, or could be, duff. They may tell you something, but unlikely to be the truth, just something to appease you and keep you as a customer.

Actually, there is another possibility, though i think it would be unlikely to succeed, and that is rejecting the car. I don't know all the ins and outs of this, the legal stuff, but it might be worth investigation, unless other forum memebers more knowledgeable on the matter can contribute.

10th character in Vin should be h=2017 or J = 2018

11th (some makes 12th) character should be one of the letters below, which will tell you the month

• A = JAN
  • B = FEB
  • C = MAR
  • D = APR
  • E = MAY
  • F = JUN
  • G = JUL
  • H = AUG
  • J = SEP
  • K = OCT
  • N = NOV
  • P = DEC
  • Mine is HG so mine was built july 2017
MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - Jungerns

Surely the very simple answer is to walk back into the dealership and tell them you have rust on a 7 month old car and than "shut up"....

Its not down to you at this point to be running around emailing and calling people. Ask them politely what day shall I bring it back in for the warranty work and then name for example two days asking which is best for them and again "shut up"

Exactly the same procedure I took with paint blemishes (from new) on two brand new fiestas I had in the past

Edited by Jungerns on 18/06/2019 at 05:59

Apologies.. getting old!!!!!!!!!

11th characterer in Vin should be h=2017 or J = 2018

12th character should be one of the letters in list, which will tell you the month

• Mine is HG so mine was built july 2017

Ok confused by this bit

So my 10th Code is J

My 11th code is Z

And 12 is 0

Ok confused by this bit

So my 10th Code is J

My 11th code is Z

And 12 is 0

Sorry, again...

Mixed up with something else.

10th character is j correct for 2018.

Vin numbers do not use O o or 0 (zero)

Thanks oldroverboy

My 11th is Z which I don't see on the list for the month and my 12th is defiantly a 0

My entire vin is 17 digits

Thanks

my vin begins

SDPW7BBDAHG AND 6 DIGITS

Hi oldroverbox

Mine is SDPW7BBDAJZ AND 6 DIGITS

Maybe they have gone all GM/Ford and the 11th is random.

Still. give MG a call, they have been pretty helpful in the past, but use the customer services number as nobody answers at Longbridge anymore, even when yo have direct numbers....

Well MG have rejected the claim and I have spoken to Customer Relations at MG

Basically as it's not a forward facing panel, they are not interested. When I also pointed out the rust underneath, his answer was it rains in the UK.

This won't bode well for them if they sell cars that rust in such a short time.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - SteveLee

Get a brief to write a nasty letter - might get their attention.

Get a brief to write a nasty letter - might get their attention.

Remember, your contract is with the dealer, so write to them rejecting the car and also to letters@honestjohn.co.uk giving HJ your details, (he can also add it ti the good and bad section on the reviews section.)

Add an owners review yourself, but stay factual.

Also, find a decent body shop to inspect the car and if necessary pay for a written expert report.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - carl233

So sorry for the hassle you have had it is not right. The problem is not right and the customer service equally is not right. The website shows only a 6 year anti perf warranty which lacks confidence in the product. A 12 year body warranty should be provided. Dacia also only provide a 6 year body warranty which again shows a lack of confidence. The jack points are on the main body and should be covered. This will be a PR disaster for them if this starts to be widespread as the rust issues on Dacia models did them significant damage in terms of the reputation.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - daveyK_UK
Hi a few questions -

1. Where exactly is the rust under the bonnet? Is it on the screws and brackets aka non galvanised metal small fixings?
This used to be a common site on Hyundai and Kia’s less than 1 year old until about 2002; they didn’t use galvanised screws/washers/brackets and owners would return them with rust issues but it was only rust on the fixings.

2. I have had a good look around a few forums and can’t see any other complaints about rust on modern MG vehicles; likewise I have a neighbour who has a 3 year old MG 3 from new and despite moaning that’s the engine is under powered, he has confirmed no rust and does look after his cars carrying out his own servicing and maintenance; he had another check and no sign of rust anywhere.

3. MG customer services is considered one of the better ones, for them to dismiss your claim is interesting (presume they took advice from the dealership). Did they say anything else?

Be grateful if you can post a link to some photos of the rust, please blur out any registration plate.

After reading all this I had a good look at mine, now almost 8 months since purchasing a dec 28 reg 2017 mgzs excite. Mine is metallic silver, and I suspect that the white paint is showing the rust more. Although that said It should not be appearing.

Try to post photos, and do as said before, get in touch with HJ, perhaps he can ask MG motors. but don't bother phoning Longbridge, nobody answers the phone anymore.

I actually have a contact in there, but that extension does not answer either..

Uploaded some photos here

www.mywelshhouse.co.uk/downloads/
MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - skidpan

now almost 8 months since purchasing a dec 28 reg 2017 mgzs excite.

Are you sure. A Dec 2017 would be a 67 plate. 28 plate has not been issued yet, it will run from March 2028 to August 2028.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - panskid

Reject it OP, as you have unfortunately found out, MGs are poorly made relatively-cheap-for-a-reason vehicles despite what some on here would have you believe. Buy a second hand Honda, Toyota or even Ford, far better in the long run.

Reject it OP, as you have unfortunately found out, MGs are poorly made relatively-cheap-for-a-reason vehicles despite what some on here would have you believe. Buy a second hand Honda, Toyota or even Ford, far better in the long run.

Mr panskid, I don't think that is a realistic option for the OP.

They bought the car Oct 2018 thus have had it just over 8 months now. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 would require the OP to prove the defect was there at the time of purchase and that would surely require the OP to produce an expert witness who could say that it was rusty 8 months ago. Short of finding an expert witness with a time machine I would suggest that is going to be difficult.

I accept that its far from great having rust on an 8 month old car but getting the dealer to sort it is the only realistic option. The problem seems to be the attitude of the dealer/manufacturer and some sort of industry ombudsman, here is a link.

www.themotorombudsman.org/consumers/make-a-complai...t

I have had minor issues with my 2017/67 Mgzs, but there again, I have a dealer (Kerridges) in Needham Market who are superb!

I did read somewhere that someone else was having rust issues on a white car somewhere in Sussex...

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - gordonbennet

A disappointing amount of rust there, particularly the spring mounting and the jacking points...though its possible the jacking points could have been scraped on a kerb or similar, the spring mount in particular will be an MOT issue by the time the car is 5 years old IMHO.

More amazed though at the attitude of the dealer and maker, this thread should be linked to the MG owners forum (i assume there is one), because the only way to make makers sit up and take some notice is to hit their sales, and i dare say a lot of potential buyers are in their more mature years looking at long term, cars rusting away before their first birthday will not impress them.

OP if you're going to keep the car long term, suggest you invest some money in a 4 litre pack of ACF50 (it's dear stuff, some £80 for the 4 litre pack but will last many years on such jobs), which can be decanted into an old cleaning product spray bottle for applying, this stuff differs from the usual rustproofing products in that it's an oily film when applied so you will be able to see and monitor the rust situation, it will creep right inside that spring mount if you apply it well, i'd rub down the jacking points and paint them well first...whatever bodge the most ham fisted of us DIY bods manage i doubt we could do worse!

Right now I am more thinking I should try for a refund as it clearly a poor build but think it’s going to be a mission. Currently it’s in the hands of Vauxhall’ finance as technically it’s their car until payed for.
That will be me in Sussex unless there is more than 1. I am in touch with someone in Kent also suffering the same issues.
That will be me in Sussex unless there is more than 1. I am in touch with someone in Kent also suffering the same issues.

No, it was another white car, different make, but can't for the life of me remember whose.

For vauxhall finance, tell them the car is a lemon and tell them you will return the car to them and you wish to stop making payments till it is resolved/repaired/refunded, Worked for me a few years back.

Thank you for sharing the pictures

Going through each one

Above headlamp - looks like a non galvanised bracket, no issue
Bonnet - well spotted, needs rectifying although likely caused by poor handling of bonnet aka this could be the holding point from spray shop to assembly line
Ns front jacking point - this needs rectifying ASAP, potential long term headache
Os rear production hole - not a major issue but does need attention, points again at poor handling during assembly
Os rear spring - potential major headache, needs rectifying ASAP
Ns jacking point - very poor quality control

Edited by daveyK_UK on 04/07/2019 at 21:22

Thanks for that.

I can see what your saying about the headlamp bracket. This issue is on both brackets and both sides of the bracket. I still stand by the fact That an 8 month should have no rust

This car is clearly a lemon and in my opinion needs replacing or refunding as clearly it’s quality means it going to have issues for years to come.

Glenn the vehicle is not of satisfactory quality and absolutely must be rejected although it will be a fight. Start with an independent inspection and report on the problem should likely not cost more than £150. Then present to dealer by formal recorded delivery so it becomes a matter of fact. This amount of rust is totally not acceptable and I suspect the zinc coating was missed totally in those areas. My 22 year old Ford has no where close to that level of rust. The vehicle is of unacceptable quality and this is a serious statement about the lack of quality of MG. This needs to gain traction and the more people that know about this the better Honest John should add some of those pictures to the car by car section for all to see. A shameful amount of rust.

Edited by carl233 on 04/07/2019 at 22:51

Glenn, firstly allow me to apologise for my rather silly comment earlier on in this thread.

Having looked at the pictures and read the extent of the problem I'm appalled frankly, that really does need sorting asap, don't give up the fight and let's hope the finance company step in.....keep us informed ( maybe some legal advice is needed?)

Warranty Cover ?

Guarantees repair replacement or adjustment, free of charge, by an authorised repairer, of any part which fails during the warranty period, as a result of a manufacturing or material defect. ?

Guarantees paintwork repairs to defects such as blistering, peeling, cracking, discoloration or staining of the visible painted surface of the vehicle body panels occurring as a result of manufacturing or material defect. ?

Guarantees all ‘wear and tear’ items, (excluding tyres) that are subject to failure as a result of a manufacturing or material defect during the first 12 months of the Warranty period or prior to the first scheduled chargeable main service, whichever is sooner. ?

Guarantees any parts replaced under the terms of the warranty for the balance of the warranty period

From the MG Motor company warranty terms and conditions

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - veloceman
If you don’t get a reasonable solution for you I would go to a publication line Auto Express who have a customer legal help page. I seem to remember a few years ago they helped with someone who had a rusty Dacia Duster (also in white).
They established that it wasn’t a one-off and was a widespread problem amongst white cars from a certain factory.
That’s interesting, thanks.

I do know of some one else having the same issue also with a white MG

Currently it’s in the hands of Vauxhall’ finance as technically it’s their car until payed for.

Please tell us why an MG is being bought on Vauxhall Finance. Seems odd to me unless it was a used car from a Vauxhall dealer and if that is the case it was probably sold by the original buyer because of the rust and MG's refusal to repair it.

Vauxhall finance do the finance for MG

MG do stuff with Vauxhall so guess that’s why. I think they also developed the 1.0 engine withGM when it owned Vauxhall so they have some sort of tie in.

If this does end up going down a legal route everything needs to be in writing such as formal emails and or letters sent recorded delivery. Verbal communication will not carry weight. Even if MG repaired it the rust in my opinion will come back. How much of the zinc coating was missed inside the panels that cannot be seen? The car is an absolute disgrace to have rusted and really you need shot of this. I would not be accepting a repair unless you ditched it as soon as the finance agreement expires. With the attitude of the dealer and maker the future is rather bleak for MG in the longer term.

Well said Carl233, could not agree more with the sentiments, i'd hoped for better from the maker, especially given how ORB's experience is working out.

Vauxhall finance do the finance for MG

Just looked on the MG website and on the financial page it clearly states.

Finance by MG Financial Services, CF15 7YT

I try to email the dealer so I can keep this. I also recorded the calls with MG. I know I am going to be the one loosing out here. I am hoping that as there are 2of us with the issue and they do their finance they may get further than me. The other person did speak to their complaints agent who has had dealings with this guy at MG and said the results are not good. There again this may have been the 1st one and now they have another 2.

Starting to wish I had never bought the car which is sad as bar the rust it’s a really nice car and especially comfy on long runs.
MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - joegrundy

The information in this link to the Financial Ombudsman is relevant: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/files/2914/79.pdf

It makes it clear that if you bought the car on HP (including PCP) or other specified forms of finance then legally you bought it from the finance company, not the car dealer, and it is the finance company which is liable for ensuring that the car is of adequate quality.

It gives several case studies where complaints have and have not been upheld and how they were resolved.

It emphasises that you must make your complaint to the finance company (the fact that you have tried to reach an appropriate accommodation with the car dealer would seem to go in your favour).

Hope this helps.

PS: 'MG Financial Services' is a 'trading style' of Vauxhall Finance PLC, whose registered office is at:

Heol y Gamlas, Parc Nantgarw, Treforest, Cardiff CF15 7QU.

That is to whom, and at which address, your complaint should be made.

I looked at the photos, atrocious!

Now I did not know it would be down to the finance company. That puts new light on things. I have a call scheduled with them on Monday and am due to do a spread sheet and matching pictures over the weekend. What does worry me with them In charge is they control I finance rating!!
Now I did not know it would be down to the finance company. That puts new light on things. I have a call scheduled with them on Monday and am due to do a spread sheet and matching pictures over the weekend. What does worry me with them In charge is they control I finance rating!!

AS LONG as you go through the ropes with them and they follow the rules you are ok.

They are liable for the condition of the vehicle.

remember, stay polite and ask as well to suspend payments while there is a dispute.ill charge a few quid. However don't sign up to a subscription, as it's not worth it.As long as you follow the rules, it will not have an effect on your credit rating, and don't forget to use all of the free credit checking agencies and some that w

I would recommend that your read through the information in that link.

Formulate an idea of what outcome you want. I see that in some cases the matter was resolved by termination of the agreement and refund of payments made (plus interest) less a monthly amount for use of the vehicle. And handing the car back to the finance company, of course.

Send your formal complaint by email and in writing (recorded delivery) before you speak to them (i.e. tomorrow). The initial formal complaint doesn't have to have full details, they can follow, but it establishes the fact of the complaint.

You should keep up with your payments under the agreement unless they agree otherwise in writing. A dispute cannot affect your credit rating as long as you do so.

The more information you have, the better you will be armed to deal with this. It may be possible to get some advice from the Ombudsman's office.

Good luck.

Some useful info there peoples, it will be interesting to see if HJ makes any comments about this on his pages (particularly those pics of 70's style underbody rust) which will up the game to a whole different level.

Thinking about this. If I rejected the car to the finance company I guess I would be out of pocket as the deposit was a paid to the dealer and that was a 3rd if the price approximately
Thinking about this. If I rejected the car to the finance company I guess I would be out of pocket as the deposit was a paid to the dealer and that was a 3rd if the price approximately

Talk to the finance co.

Ask them to deal with it to put pressure on the dealer to replace, even if you add a bit for no-white/metallic paint. be prepared to accept a used car to the same spec perhaps with metallic paint.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - Sean Latto

Any further update on this rust issue?

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - John F

My thought exactly. I do wish folk would post outcomes. Perhaps Avant could attach this to an email to the OP? (I presume moderator has access to our email addresses).

Further to gordonbennet's excellent advice, most of the rust shown on these photos is iron oxide staining from tiny areas of corrosion. Do MGs have a long sea journey? On deck? I apply Kurust from a bottle top with a tiny paint brush followed by a good quality paint. But clean thoroughly first so you don't waste Kurust (expensive) on merely stained areas. If you get a garage to do it, chances are they'll just spray cheap white paint over it which won't arrest the underlying problem.

Perhaps the problem is resolved "Confidentially" on the basis of an NDA.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - barney100
You could try citizens advice, they can get you a session with a solicitor at much reduced prices. You need to crack on.
MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - Petrolhead31

I also have a mg zs (67) I had noticed rust on the spot welds of the inner of the fuel filler cap. After reading this I shall be inspecting the whole car.

The rust on mine was fixed under warranty by the dealer, it isn't a front facing panel. Although it did take the manager of the dealer to get it involved.

Mines going back in next week for tpms fault and drivers window fault.

After going through the Finance Company and getting a few of us together, the did offer a fix.

The problem is the fix does not deal with the seams and in-between the spot weld metal so almost pointless. I had an independent report agree that it won't be fixed with that they anted to do. The finance company then said this is their final decision as a financial house.

The matter has now been referred to the Financial Ombudsman.

To be honest it would have been better for everyone if they had just held their hands up and said yer ok it's a problem and dealt with it.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - nick62

After going through the Finance Company and getting a few of us together, the did offer a fix.

The problem is the fix does not deal with the seams and in-between the spot weld metal so almost pointless. I had an independent report agree that it won't be fixed with that they anted to do. The finance company then said this is their final decision as a financial house.

The matter has now been referred to the Financial Ombudsman.

To be honest it would have been better for everyone if they had just held their hands up and said yer ok it's a problem and dealt with it.

Absolutely disgraceful. This makes my blood boil.

Can HJ not add any value to this disgraceful situation? A comment or two by HJ would help spread the word of corrosion on this model.

I would avoid MG in all respects given the shocking treatment in this case.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - Avant

Write to him - letters@honestjohn.co.uk

So just a further update for those who are interested.

The car has now started to show tiny rust spots on the outer panels of the car. Bonnet, door, rear quarter. guess in theory this needs to be put down to the quality of the steel maybe.

The more this goes on the more I am lost for words.

I must say that Mine, (registered 28th dec 2017 is absolutely fine. Not a blemish anywhere, except for the dings , one on the tailgate, nicely repaired, and now one on the passenger door on the crease line, due to be done ( £120 ) door panel needs painting.

Got some protective mouldings for the doors for £43 from

https://shop.automotiva.co.uk to be fitted when dent fixed.

Mine were actually for a 2015 Suzuki Celerio as they follow the creaselines in the doors.

(Avant Hope link is ok, have got these bits, and side mouldings are nearly impossible to find.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/09/2019 at 18:31

This needs to gain traction with public shaming involve the motoring press and show any written responses from MG and the dealership. One of my neighbours was considering a new MG until I notified them of this thread they have now purchased a Kia instead.

Do try to involve HJ and or other motoring press. This vehicle is not fit for purpose and really it should have been an easy case of rejection.......

This needs to gain traction with public shaming involve the motoring press and show any written responses from MG and the dealership. One of my neighbours was considering a new MG until I notified them of this thread they have now purchased a Kia instead.

Do try to involve HJ and or other motoring press. This vehicle is not fit for purpose and really it should have been an easy case of rejection.......

This particular vehicle has problems, NOT all of them.

As said above, mine is fine and others, including a taxi driver with 50000 miles on his in 8 months are fine. I would personally be inclined to believe that the problem is with the non-metallic base white paint, Remember early dacia dusters anyone.

That said, I do believe that MG motors UK could do a bit more about the situation for this customer. My local dealer is excellent by the way.

Top coat selection should not cause this rusting. What about the electro zinc coating are MG not applying this? Why only a six year anti perf warranty from the maker when other makes tend to give double that? A mere six year warranty for the body shows a major lack of confidence in the product....

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - Ethan Edwards

Sorry to hear about that. My own budget car the Suzuki Vitara bought about the same time as ORB has performed flawlessly. No paint blemishes nothing. The MG problems detailed here including the USB falling apart really aren't good enough.

Sorry for being a paint novice, but Why would solid paint vs metallic paint make any difference? Both have the same undercoating to the panel?
MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - SLO76
Sorry for being a paint novice, but Why would solid paint vs metallic paint make any difference? Both have the same undercoating to the panel?

Metallic paint has always been more durable than solid colours. Not sure why but this was noticeable on older cars when rust was more of an issue. They also resist fading better too. I’d always favour metallic paint over a solid colour. The issues with the MG and early Indian built Dacia Dusters are reminders that these are budget cars and in these cases they were designed with third world markets in mind, usually with warmer climates. Simple running gear so they’ll be reliable but rust protection was less of a concern. Looking round any recent Chinese built MG reveals plenty of potential rust traps, from unprotected joins in wheel arches to plastic sill covers and unprotected screw heads. They’re simple cars but cheaply made and I think not cheap enough to buy here in Britain where they’ve tried to push the price up by buying a bit of heritage with the cheaply bought MG name. I wouldn’t recommend one unless stupidly cheap as a good older used Japanese model will always make more sense. £11k was enough to buy some excellent used cars often with plenty of warranty left. A nearly new Toyota Auris for one.
MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - John F

So just a further update for those who are interested.

The car has now started to show tiny rust spots on the outer panels of the car. Bonnet, door, rear quarter. guess in theory this needs to be put down to the quality of the steel maybe.

The more this goes on the more I am lost for words.

Don't despair. I had the same problem with a few tiny rust spots erupting from the British Leyland steel of my 1980 Ziebarted TR7 DHC during its first few years. After scraping them clean with a small screw driver and sealing with Kurust followed by a blob of paint, no more appeared. This well engineered car is now nearly 40yrs old, never off the road and has had only one general tart-up and respray back in 1992 after twelve years as reliable daily transport, when it was semi-retired, usurped by a galvanised Audi 100 - probably long since scrapped.

John, "don't despair"!! really mate? it's frankly disgusting but hardly surprising, as Slo so politely put it there a budget car but even so for rust spots to appear on the panels so soon is beyond belief.

As ORB has discovered there built with the thinnest steel they can get away with ( probably poorly recycled steel at that) and given the mearest dust of paint. I really don't know the answer to the original posters problem apart from to keep on at the finance company.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - nick62

As ORB has discovered there built with the thinnest steel they can get away with ( probably poorly recycled steel at that) and given the mearest dust of paint. I really don't know the answer to the original posters problem apart from to keep on at the finance company.

Anyone remember the Alfa Romeo Alfasud?

Great car, but built with cheap low-grade Russian steel. The factory near Naples (hence the name) was set-up so that finished body-shells had to sit outside before being painted in a separate building................... no wonder some of them fell to pieces within a few years, some of them were rusty before the paint was applied.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - Ethan Edwards

They were just copying British Leyland process. Princess unpainted shells were too wide for the dry heated tunnel between two factories. So they were loaded onto trucks and driven a couple of miles. In the rain and winter with the road salt etc. Hey much better than fixing the tunnel eh? Great management and accounting saves tuppence ha'penny and costs owners dear a few years down the line.

They were just copying British Leyland process. Princess unpainted shells were too wide for the dry heated tunnel between two factories. So they were loaded onto trucks and driven a couple of miles. In the rain and winter with the road salt etc. Hey much better than fixing the tunnel eh? Great management and accounting saves tuppence ha'penny and costs owners dear a few years down the line.

It was in fact the 1800 land crab that would not fit and it was I am pretty sure a overhead gantry that crossed a road between the 2 factories.

The Princess/Ambassador was just as shocking so it may have applied to that as well.

With reference to the USB socket falling off, It has been fixed and that's fine with me.

The dings are not the cars fault or the manufacturers, The MG weighs about the same as a Dacia Duster. The dings were on the tailgate the result of a shopping trolley being run into the back of th car and the "basket" area being at the perfect height to hit the crease at the bottom of the hatch.

The one on the passenger door is a bit nastier, but that is going to be sorted.

I repeat though, that for the price I paid ( £10.991 ) I am happy with the car, It is comfortable, has a good driving position, and fulfils our needs for the next few years.

A Hyundai Tuscon, which is a similar car would cost about £20.000 and the 1.6 in that is really a dog.

Happy with what i've got so far....

Agree, the price is right
MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - SLO76
As long as you’re happy with it that is all that matters. It’s certainly SAIC’s most successful car in Britain to date but I personally would’ve went for something used that’ll hold its money much better. A 17 plate Kia Sportage can be had with minimal miles for similar money with a good 3yrs worth of warranty left. So can a Toyota Auris 1.2T.

As a used buy however at under £6k with a fair bit of warranty left I’ll bet the MG will be an excellent used buy especially since most will be privately owned and well looked after by people like yourself. There’s little to fear mechanically and once the minor teething issues are by with I’ll sure they’ll be pretty pain free to own.

ORB, with the greatest respect I do think your being a little disingenuous, you've reported several faults, failing tailgate struts, usb port falling out twice, loose seat material and you have commented about how easy the bodywork dents.

You have tried to put a brave face on by dismissing the car as "white goods" and I can understand that but over ten grand of anything can hardly be described as "white goods" unless your fabulously rich of course!

As for the warranty I think you did mention something about a claim being dismissed and as we have seen with the op's post they clearly are not interested in resolving his rust issues.

That all said I do agree with SLO that they could potentially make a good used buy further down the line but only if your prepared to accept the seemingly inevitable faults.

As an aside I bought my car (Vauxhall moka x) within a few months of you, yes it was brand new and yes I did pay rather more than 10 grand, not the most loved or prestigious of cars but to date absolutely zero faults, not a trim rattle nothing, it's well screwed together and the quality of the paint and bodywork is excellent ( if you read through some the car cleaning, valeting discussions I've joined in with on here you'll know that I'm a fussy b*****).

Edited by paul 1963 on 06/09/2019 at 07:59

You have tried to put a brave face on by dismissing the car as "white goods" and I can understand that but over ten grand of anything can hardly be described as "white goods" unless your fabulously rich of course!

My understanding of the term 'white goods' in referal to cars means something that the owner has no real interest in further than it simply doing its job (like a fridge, or washing machine). Cars which are (usually) fairly anonymous and forgettable, both to look at and to drive. And while these types of cars usually appear at the lower price bracket, the price isn't really relevant beyond the fact that folks spending a lot of money on a car are usually doing so because of its badge or image, so are not going to want a 'bland' car. For example, traditionally, most of the Toyota range could be classed as 'white goods', including (arguably) the new Camry, which starts off at a fiver under £30k. This is not neccessarily a bad thing, just depends on what you want from a car. If you want a reliable, fairly luxurious car, but aren't interested in how fast it goes round The 'Ring, and don't care what others think of it, there are not too many choices!.

ORB, with the greatest respect I do think your being a little disingenuous, you've reported several faults, failing tailgate struts, usb port falling out twice, loose seat material and you have commented about how easy the bodywork dents.

As for these faults, all but the last mentioned here, are fairly minor niggly problems and doesn't in any way point to a fundamentally bad car. Regarding the bodywork being easy to dent, i think that will be the case with most cars these days. With manufacturers looking for ways to make the car more efficient, one of the more common methods is to make it lighter. But how to do that when customers are expecting ever higher levels of standard equipment?, make the bodywork out of thinner guage metal. I have certainly noticed how 'flexible' the bodywork on our Jazz seems to be. But again, for the above reasons, i wouldn't class that as making it a bad car. Going back to the 'niggly' problems, how these problems are dealt with is a much more important factor, and very much makes the difference between enjoying the good points of the car rather than constantly questionong whether or not buying it was the right thing to do. ORB clearly has a very good dealer, sorting these things out quickly and efficiently, whereas the OP, possibly because it is a lease car, is finding the opposite.

Regarding the OP's case specifically (not that it helps him), remember, as has been mentioned quite a few times during the thread, Dacia also had problems with earlier cars suffering from rust. And from reading owners reviews, it seems that many were dealt with just as badly as the OP. But look at Dacia now, going from strength to strength, despite the current economy.

Badbusdriver? Were you really?

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, i put it down to the dealer. (or at least the way it has dealt with it and supported the customer. I'm lucky, because my dealer treats me as a valued customer. That first (missed service) that was done after I bought the car was discounted by 25% even though I hadn't bought the car from them and they knew that the selling dealer were going to pay. I use their recommended tyre fitters too, and a recent puncture was fixed for a stupidly low price, again, I have used them on 4 occasions now.In a couple of months it will go to them for the 2nd, (more expensive) service..

I also agree about the dings, hit hard enough and they'll dent. At least my bits don't cost what it costs when the detector for emergency braking falls off a Golf or somesuch and costs £1500 to fix, from an alleged "premium car".

Yes, It is white goods, because it does the job, and one of these days, someone will get a properly maintained car at a good price for them. If I wanted a "premium SUV" i could buy it outright if the mood took me, but I can spend that money on lots of holidays, Only 4 so far this year, but 2 to come.

As a comment from me about Customer service, (and I was customer facing during my working life) It also depends on how the customer approaches and if the customer feels let down, thinking that his expectations have been met or not. There is an MG dealer near me who has told a customer with an MG ZS 2018 to feel free to go elsewhere as they can't resolve that he feels that his car is slow and had no throttle response. When he drove mine, I made him use the throttle pedal AND the gears and he felt mine drove better, so i said drive yours like that too.

Perception, perception...

I know this thread is drifting away so I'll apologise in advance but in both your replies there are a couple of points that I must pick up on.

Thin steel, yep totally agree manufacturers are using thinner gauges than they used to however there's good and bad, good ( like bbd's jazz) will spring back, bad won't, it's down to the composition, the "bad" thing about good steel is that it's costs more.......

ORB, I'm delighted your dealer has proved to be a good one but you've said you've been back 4 times! I've been to mine once ( annual service).

Holidays have never meant much to me but I'm delighted you've had several this year but would you consider your holiday as white goods if for instance the room or food wasn't very good but you knew you had got the holiday at a bargain price?.....

Anyway enough of this, let's just hope the op gets a satisfactory outcome, let's learn lessons hear people:)

Sorry ORB, but not sure what you mean?!

Thin steel, yep totally agree manufacturers are using thinner gauges than they used to however there's good and bad, good ( like bbd's jazz) will spring back, bad won't, it's down to the composition, the "bad" thing about good steel is that it's costs more.......

Without carefully controlled tests, there is no way to prove whether or not the steel in the Jazz would spring back under circumstances the MG wouldn't. As far as i am aware, there are no dents on our Jazz, but that doesn't mean it has had a shopping trolley or whatever, banged into it but sprung back into shape, maybe we have just been lucky?. After all, one of the reasons we went for the Jazz is it's narrowness, so in supermarket car parks, it is (in theory) at less risk than most cars!.

Holidays have never meant much to me but I'm delighted you've had several this year but would you consider your holiday as white goods if for instance the room or food wasn't very good but you knew you had got the holiday at a bargain price?.....

Can you have a holiday which is the equivalent of 'white goods'?. Yes, but much like cars,it would very much be your own choice. And again, much like cars, money isn't really a factor as it is more about what you want. Your example of the food and accomodation not being very good would in fact rule it out as 'white goods', as you'd remember it for those issues. Many people go on holiday to somewhere hot and sunny, simply because of that two facts. They are not interested in the culture, not interested in local food, not really interested in local places of interest. They go there to sit on the beach, drink cheap alcohol, eat in British themed bars and restaurants, sleep late and so on. That, IMO, would be the holiday equivalent, enjoyable (if that is what you like, but otherwise, utterly forgettable save for the tan/sunburn. And while this type of holiday can and often is, cheap, depending on exactly where you are and your accomodation, it could also be very expensive. On the other hand, you could spend very little to have a much more interesting holday, should you want, which (again, IMO) would be the opposite of a 'white goods' holiday.

Edited by badbusdriver on 06/09/2019 at 14:29

Sorry ORB, but not sure what you mean?

Very lightheartedly, Were you a bad bus driver? Me thinks not.

Some of my visits were to buy accessories, (spare wheel, jack) locking wheel nuts, return for puncture. And it is nice to go and see The old school genteman boss of a family run business. He is 85 by the way, and still very active in the business.

As for Holidays, No, they are not white goods, but we return to some places we like (as with cars) where we are well received. One hotel that we use in belgium don't register us anymore, they have my name, give us a key, Blodwen is welcome (the dog) is not charged the 10 euro supplement for pets, is spoiled by the staff, and is welcome to stay with us in the dining room.

As with cars, it is about expectations, (Read some of my posts about the ZS before i bought one) I wasn't expecting too much and have been pleasantly surprised.

Very lightheartedly, Were you a bad bus driver? Me thinks not.

Ah, well i guess that depends on who you asked, or what the criteria was.........!

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - KB.

It just so happens that, last week, they opened an MG dealership just a mile or so away from me (I think Swindon got a new one at the same time too).

It was a Vauxhall dealer for quite a while then the same owner (Eden Group) swapped to selling used cars of all makes and now it's still Eden, but selling MGs. I suppose I have no excuse for not having a look.

The reviews are mixed and I saw mention that Dacia Duster would make a better buy .... but I don't know.

I'll keep an eye open for ORB's reports here.

It just so happens that, last week, they opened an MG dealership just a mile or so away from me (I think Swindon got a new one at the same time too).

Nearest one to me is 77 miles away!.

The MG SUV is better than the Dacia Dister IMO

Both have compromises

If you can get a decent discount on a pre reg Suzuki Vitara, that is the one to go for

I know some people wanted to know the outcome here.

After nearly 8 months of fighting the Financial Ombudsman has ruled in my favour and the finance company agreed with their findings so the cars has now been returned.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - Old.Roverboy

Congratulations on the result.

What will you buy now?

PS, to all ORB has a new username..

Thanks for the update, and well done, persistence has paid off.

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - misar

Likewise congratulations to the OP for persistence. The role of the finance company was new to me but very interesting. With this type of fault and depending on the financing they could well have a vested interest because it may substantially reduce the residual value of the car.

The OP may be interested in ORB's recent threads about the car if he has not seen them. Also perhaps he and ORB should let HJ know to add their problems to the Good and Bad section of the review (already quite long on bad considering the relatively small sales.

Now no roverboy I have gone back to Skoda as never had any issues with the last 4 I have had, plus there is no quibbling over warranty issues if they occur

MG ZS - Rust on a 7 month old car - Old.Roverboy

Now no roverboy I have gone back to Skoda as never had any issues with the last 4 I have had, plus there is no quibbling over warranty issues if they occur

And I have returned to KIA, Sportage,via Carwow.

How did the refund work out?

Just noticed, my car was (allegedly) built in Thailand, early models,,,,

Edited by Now no roverboy on 26/02/2020 at 19:46

Good news Glenn, a sad reflection for all concerned e.g. MG and the finance company that it did take the ombudsman for a just and appropriate conclusion to be reached. This thread should be an eye opener to anyone considering the MG brand

And I have returned to KIA, Sportage,via Carwow.

How did the refund work out?

Just noticed, my car was (allegedly) built in Thailand, early models,,,,

I got my deposit back +8% interest, the cost of the report and £200 compo but not the payments. Luckily as I had a bigger deposit my payments were lower than some so lost lest. In theory I think they should have refunded my payments since the Dekra report which told them that they could not fix it they way they wanted to as that's when they should have taken the car back.

Just glad to be out as they devaluing very fast compared to others and the warranty was not what it seems.

Glenn, pleased to hear that it more or less worked out in the end.

Thinking about it, when you give the dealer a deposit you're giving it to him as an agent for the finance company. Otherwise you'd own part of the car and the finance company would own the other part, which would be a bit messy.

I'm going through this at the moment (I rejected mine within 30 days). The finance company, although named for the manufacturer, is part of a large banking group - the same bank on whose mastercard I paid the deposit.

No doubt in my mind that the finance company is not averse to delaying things. They have 8 weeks to resolve the issue and its taken them 4 weeks to assign a 'complaints manager' - still not inspected the car despite my best efforts to persuade them to. It was enlightening to hear them talk of the big backlog of complaints - not something they publicise. I can understand why some customers would be worn down into submission.

Also illuminating is how few people understand that they bought the car fom the finance company and redress is against them - usually a completely different entity from the manufacturer or dealer. Indeed, when I initially (naievely?) wrote to the manufacturer customer services department, they said in effect 'Go away, your contract is with the dealer'. Unhelpful, of course, but also positively misleading. Didn't do much for my confidence in the brand or their much-vaunted 'Used Approved' scheme. Shame, because I think that the car itself is terrific.

Hi joegrundy

It's a bit of a mine field to be honest. I found talking to Citizens advise put me in the right direction.

I do feel sorry for the finance company as it's not really their fault at the end of the day it the manufacture that should fut the bill. Lets face it most people buy on finance or pcp so the manufactures can churn out some right crap and not be out of pocket.

The thing I did find interesting is that finance company stopped financing MG's on the 1st of Jan. To me that says something with all that's been going on

I don't have any sympathy for the finance companies (most part of the big banks) TBH. No doubt the PCP/HP business is very lucrative (cf. interest rates) and fairly low risk.

They rely on/assume dealers will sell cars that are up to standard but AFAIK have no procedures in place to keep an eye on this - and why should they? - and are hardly rushing to the defence of the consumer (who generally is just looking for a fair and honest deal). They have nothing to lose. They have a contract with the dealer to supply the car and if it turns out that the car is successfully rejected they can simply return the car to the dealer and reverse the transaction, clawing back what they paid the dealer for it. I don't suppose the dealer would squeal too much bearing in mind the level of commission they get from the finance companies overall.

The problem then reverts to the dealer and I have no sympathy for them. A bit of a touch-up etc., and they sell it on, hoping for a buyer less knowledgeable/discerning, more gullible next time. Cynics 'R' us!

"Also illuminating is how few people understand that they bought the car fom the finance company and redress is against them - usually a completely different entity from the manufacturer or dealer."

Sorry to bash on about this - and it's probably poor etiquette to quote my own post - but I think this could be more widely publicised, eg in 'Ask HJ'.

We often see quotes such as 'your contract is with the dealer, not the manufacturer' (which can be true) but if the car is on PCP/HP the contract is with the finance company and under FCA regulation and the jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman. Notices within time limits (30 days/6months) should be given to the finance company (by all means copy in the dealer as a courtesy and to demonstrate your goodwill).

Finance companies will try to steer you to the dealer (as noted by the Ombudsman in a characteristically understated way in publications) but as someone more famous and more attractive than me once (nearly) said 'They would say that, wouldn't they'.