Help me identify a squeak - peteH
Ive got a squeak on a Mercedes A140

Starts once the car is warm (15 mins driving plus)

Seems to originate from the front wheels.

Squeak stops when steering slightly to the left, start again when stering to the right.

Getting lounder over time!

Any suggestions what to look for?
Help me identify a squeak - peteH
More diagnosis info.

If I put my foot on the brake the squeak stops, showing that the noise is caused by the brakes rather than the rotation of the wheels.

Intend to get the wheels off tomorrow and have a look - any ideas what I should check for?
Help me identify a squeak - Cyd
The calipers are sure to be single piston sliding jobies. Check the two halves can slide freely. Also check piston movement is okay.

Remove any rust lip from the discs.

Check for any loose cables.
Help me identify a squeak - Dizzy {P}
I think Cyd is on the ball. A sticky piston or half-caliper can cause a squeak because it makes the brake pad rub the disc rather than being pushed away from it.

This may happen only when the brakes warm up because expansion is taking place and things get tight. Going round a corner one way can lean the disk over just sufficiently to stop (or start) the squeak.

Try feeling the front wheels after a run; if one is warmer than the other the fault will be on that side and is almost certainly brake related.
Help me identify a squeak - Mike200
I had the self same problem on a Fiat Uno, not quite as classy, but as i say, an identical problem.

I tried the following, but never got rid of the problem for more than about two weeks:

2 sets of pads, new calipers, cleaned the runners and applied copper slip grease to the runners and the back of the pads and I also had the pads ground down slightly.

As I say, never did get rid of it, but the pads being ground helped a lot for about 2-3 weeks.

I dont suppose it could be a problem with the disc? ever tried that before i got rid of my car.
Help me identify a squeak - Rich Mixture
This is interesting. I have what sounds like a very similar problem on the rear wheels of a Pug 406. I'd describe it as a high pitched squeal which is not there from cold and disappears at speed. It's very noticeable when tootling along in slow moving traffic and also disappears as soon as the slightest pressure is applied to the brakes. I removed the rear wheels and had a good ferret about. No excessive wear and everything looks fine. I removed the pads and cleaned them up before replacing them. I then discovered that I could get the squeal by turning the wheel hub by hand and that slight movement of (not sure what the proper term is) the 'thin metal backing plate/shroud' that sits immediately behind the hub would stop the squeal. I suspect a build up of debris between the rear side of the disc and the backing shroud. I'd like to remove the hub and give it a good clean out but this will have to wait till the car goes in for its cambelt change.

Maybe your problem is similar?
Help me identify a squeak - Sparky
Had same problem on me Alfa 156, think it was a build up of brake dust or something, cleaning the brakes thoroughly using copious amounts of brake cleaner and use of copper slip on appropriate surfaces solved the problem for about a year and I have just had to do it again as the noise emerged again recently. Also the first time it all needed freeing up, muck n dust on the pads and caliper etc made em all stick together a bit even though the car was only about 8 months old.
Help me identify a squeak - Dizzy {P}
I then discovered that I could get the squeal by turning the wheel hub by hand and that slight movement of (not sure what the proper term is) the 'thin metal backing plate/shroud' that sits immediately behind the hub would stop the squeal. I suspect a build up of debris between the rear side of the disc and the backing shroud. >>

RM,

I wonder if this could simply be a trapped stone, rather than general debris? Seems a shame to disturb the hub unless really necessary -- perhaps a dig round with a bit of a wire coathanger would move whatever is there?