- sammy1
Re 17 reg Zafira. Have you tried asking Vauxhall for a service history? Also is there a recall on the Heater matrix?
-
Re: Wing commander. I may be missing something, but can't RL use the undamaged parts 4 and 5 from their existing mirror, thus saving the £167 ?
- GingerTom
Mis-service - This always defeats me too. Like the people who spend £30k on a car then shop around for the cheapest possible insurance and moaning if it goes up by ten quid or doesn't pay out. I guess the people they are trying to impress can see the shiny new car on the drive but cannot see all the inconvenient stuff like servicing, tax and insurance etc.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - Marcus T.

or people who spend £30k or £40k+ on a nice vehicle, then fit cheap ditchfinders when it requires new tyres.

- GingerTom
Exposure - I want to leave my car exposed to the risk of theft and vandalism and I expect my insurer to cough up the full amount if it happens. You can't make this stuff up. Does he leave his house with the doors and windows open expecting to be fully insured too?
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - expertad

Surely if somebody wanted to nick a MG Midget we would a dangerous criminal on our hands?

- dylann
I think Honest John has an obsession about left foot braking. It really is nonsense to suggest this is necessary on an automatic. Yes, while manoeuvring in a crowded area , its a sensible precaution,
It takes no longer to move the right foot onto the brake pedal than the left foot.
I also disagree with HJ's advice regarding private car parking ticketing.. He suggests writing and offering a nominal sum in settlement..
Doing this confirms your address and is a tacit admission of guilt. I have had five such tickets, all for minor infringements. My policy is never respond to any communication from these people. I have never paid a penny.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - SteveLee

Yep,telling an old man who has braked and accelerated with his right foot his whole life to suddenly switch to left foot braking when moving to an auto car is bordering on insanity.

- Mike H
Access Cars - the writer wants an auto because he has trouble using the clutch after a left-side stroke. He's hardly a good candidate for left-foot braking is he??
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - doi209

Dam - you beat me to it :-)

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - GingerTom

Yes there are never exceptions in life are there? Duh.

- dylann
I had a 2009 Volvo S40 auto fitted with Powershift box. I do not know if Volvo improved what was in effect a Ford box but in the four years I had the car it behaved faultlessly with instant pickup and undetectable changes. I now have a V40 with a TC box and, while it works fine, I do not like the slip on pick up.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - Engineer Andy
I had a 2009 Volvo S40 auto fitted with Powershift box. I do not know if Volvo improved what was in effect a Ford box but in the four years I had the car it behaved faultlessly with instant pickup and undetectable changes. I now have a V40 with a TC box and, while it works fine, I do not like the slip on pick up.

It depends on how the car is used - if most of your journeys are on faster-flowing roads and not much stop-start work in heavy traffic, then a dual clutch gearbox should work fine for the most part, as it's being used for the purpose it was designed for - efficient gearcharges and for performance. They were never designed for the latter or for hauling trailers/heavy loads.

Or you could've just been lucky. It's not as though every dual clutch gearbox breaks or work terribly, even those that don't have the fluid replaced. If they did, it might've bankrupted all the firms using them over warranty claims!

- expertad
£200 to change the DSG oil on the Golf? that is how much it is for the wet clutch six speed one with a filter and 6 litres of oil.The dry clutch one is just under 2 litres with no filter,and is pretty easy to do.My indy charged me £70 all in a few years back.
- General de Goole
80s car - Why recommend an automatic shift to an 80 year old who has driven manual all her life? Given everything that you keep telling us about accidents caused by not left-foot braking, isn’t an automatic just asking for trouble? (I would recommend a Hyundai i10, manual.)
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - Hugh Watt

Indeed, mon General. Though kudos to HJ for participating on the forum, it's interesting to see which comments he declines to reply to.

- Ron Scammell
Ron - Re `WC` on tyre pressure monitoring irritation

WC asked, to paraphrase, why do we have to put up with TPM and you HJ effectively said its the fault of the EU. I invariably enjoy and respect your opinion HJ, but for once you have allowed prejudice to subvert your normal common sense on safety. I now own a Volvo V40 bought May 2017 which has, I understand a TPM that is not based on the less reliable valve system you say the EU has made compulsory. When I bought my Volvo this fact was,and remains of critical sensitive importance to me because in February 2014 I was severely injured in an horrendous high velocity fatal collision - although completely innocent my car became an instrument of death because the other driver failed to notice he had struct an object that caused the total lost of pressure in his rear nearside tyre - he drove on with heavy duty low profile tyres for no less than a mile until the tyre totally disintegrated and he totally lost control and crossed over to my side of the road. Believe me I wish no one to go through the trauma both physical and psychological of such an accident which I trust can now be prevented by the tyre pressure monitoring system absent for most cars in 2014. I have no memory of my accident, but every day I am reminded of its consequences.
- Rob Whitmarsh
Re. "Doing a mis-service", I had the same problem on my 18 month old petrol Alfa Giulia, "Change engine oil!" every time I switched on. This car only does a small mileage, and had done just over 3000 miles since a previous full service and oil change, so clearly a false alarm. I phoned the dealer, and they asked me to bring the car in for them to have a look at. The computer hadn't been re-set, so the car thought that its oil was almost 18 months old. They told me that the car's computer re-set had failed, though I had possibly unworthy suspicions that they hadn't done it. I know absolutely nothing about Vauxhalls, but maybe the same problem, a not re-set computer after the oil was last changed?
- DLDLDL
If you should change your oil every 12 months irrespective of mileage because "it goes off", should oil come with "use by dates" on the containers and should garages confirm that they have used oil with at least say 15 months of "useable life left"?

I have seen some labels that say use within 5 years of production date - which would imply that oil does not just go off.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - IrishNeil
If you should change your oil every 12 months irrespective of mileage because "it goes off", should oil come with "use by dates" on the containers and should garages confirm that they have used oil with at least say 15 months of "useable life left"? I have seen some labels that say use within 5 years of production date - which would imply that oil does not just go off.

Every type of oil 'goes off' when it is subjected to thousands of thumps from pistons and heat exchanges from internal combustions, a bit like mayonaisse. That used to be an egg and olive oil until it gets subjected to....oh I give up!!

Edited by IrishNeil on 08/06/2019 at 15:50

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - DLDLDL

Every type of oil 'goes off' when it is subjected to thousands of thumps from pistons and heat exchanges from internal combustions, a bit like mayonaisse. That used to be an egg and olive oil until it gets subjected to....oh I give up!!

Oh, I can understand degradation due to "thumps from pistons and heat exchanges from internal combustions" - but that will be mileage related not time related surely?

If I do 3,000 miles pa and must change my oil after that "because of 3,000 miles of 'thumps from pistons and heat exchanges from internal combustions'", why doesn't the driver who does 12,000 miles pa have to change their oil after 3 months?

Edited by DLDLDL on 09/06/2019 at 17:52

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - Arminius JP

Extensive googling reveals: -

Even stored, motor oil (lubricant) deteriorates though ought to be stable such that the shelf life is up to five years. Synthetic oils have the longest shelf lives since the evenly spread hydrocarbon molecules therein form a base, or alkali, that remains stable at extremes of temperature. The absence of pollutants like paraffin wax, a component of crude oil, aid storage longevity. Additives in the oils (aimed at enhancing in-use performance) affect shelf life, with copper and iron, for example, acting as catalysts that speed up life-shortening oxidation.

Usage consumes the additives that play a critical role in preventing lubricant degradation. Some degradation (significantly from oxidization) once accelerated post additive consumption does continue even if usage were to cease although I am unclear as to how material that may be compared to the extent of degradation that arises from further usage.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - madf

Oh, I can understand degradation due to "thumps from pistons and heat exchanges from internal combustions" - but that will be mileage related not time related surely?

If I do 3,000 miles pa and must change my oil after that "because of 3,000 miles of 'thumps from pistons and heat exchanges from internal combustions'", why doesn't the driver who does 12,000 miles pa have to change their oil after 3 months?

because at 3,000 mile a year, there is a good chance the engine rarely gets warm and you get condensation inside the engine every time it is run. That contaminates the oil as do the acids from incomplete combustion. If you smell the oil from a car which only does low miles and a lot of short journeys, it is a mix of unburned fuel and acids - horrible..

And anyone who knows anything about car engines knows the worst wear occurs when engines are cold and in stop/start driving.. which cars doing a lot more miles will be less subject to..

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - DLDLDL

because at 3,000 mile a year, there is a good chance the engine rarely gets warm and you get condensation inside the engine every time it is run. That contaminates the oil as do the acids from incomplete combustion. If you smell the oil from a car which only does low miles and a lot of short journeys, it is a mix of unburned fuel and acids - horrible..

And anyone who knows anything about car engines knows the worst wear occurs when engines are cold and in stop/start driving.. which cars doing a lot more miles will be less subject to..

Are we making correct assumptions about low usage? I may be non typical, but I dropped my mileage a few years ago, by cutting out the short runs (that my DPF really did not like), and more recently the 10-20 mile trips (taking my late mother "out for a drive"). Now all that is left are the long 60Mile+ trips, possibly once a week.

If we do not understand the usage patterns are we making incorrect decisions about:
- maintenance
- petrol/diesel choice
- internal combustion / electric choice?

Too often we read "rules of thumb", but do they necessarily apply to our own personal usage patterns?

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - SteveLee

Cars used for short journeys - your archetypal 3,000 miles per year - will not get the oil hot enough to burn off moisture and spirit contamination. With petrol cars the cold start fuel enrichment contaminates the oil with unburned petrol making it past the piston rings, likewise with oil burners, unfinished DPF regenerations contaminate the oil with diesel.

So yes, change your oil annually if you intend to keep the car long-term. If you're a high mileage driver - change it between services. These extended service intervals are to make their cars more financially attractive by keeping lease costs down - they do nothing for engine longevity - which most manufacturers care nothing about other than lasting the warranty period.

- Arminius JP
Re Checking account reply - "It is common for the lessee of a leased car to reprogram the odometer to avoid a penalty for excess miles."

Is it not long past time that manufacturers were obliged to fit odometers that are tamper-proof or at least allow easy detection if tampering has occurred?

Manufacturers benefit from there being a secondary market where their customers can in turn sell their products and it seems wrong morally that they facilitate dishonest acts that harm buyers in that secondary market.
- jchinuk
Re:Speeds of discontent, Yes, motorists from other EU are chased for fines, a friend was sent an invoice for a toll (Dartford Crossing). Not sure if that is a benefit (?) that will be lost after Brexit.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 08-06-2019 Part 1 - Engineer Andy
Re:Speeds of discontent, Yes, motorists from other EU are chased for fines, a friend was sent an invoice for a toll (Dartford Crossing). Not sure if that is a benefit (?) that will be lost after Brexit.

If I were the government, I'd completely do away with that toll, and, to be frank, as many bridge tolls on major routes as possible - we probably lose more in lower productivity due to traffic jams caused by them being there than they make in revenue, and it would be better for the environment (vehicles moving in higher gears at higher speeds [even though you don't pay at the booth any more, you still have to slow down] - less pollution).

Then there would no need to 'go after' foreign HGV owners, at least for that crime.