Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - Rumfitt

Wondered what the good sages on here might advise with an unfortunate issue with my wife's 2014 1.0 Hyundai i10.

One evening she mentioned there was a worrying new noise from the lower engine compartment. When I checked, it had virtually no oil in the sump as I put in 3 litres before it came up to the dipstick minimum mark...

I asked whether the oil warning light was on and she said no - she wouldn't have driven it otherwise.

The engine noise was much quieter but there was still a persistent and increasingly louder rattle and a minor misfire/hesitation, so we booked it into to our trusted local independent garage.

They said there was indeed damage to the engine caused by the low oil level. and it would need major engine work/replacement. They said the oil warning sensor had failed, which is why there was no warning light showing.

The car is still under the Hyundai 5-year warranty, but we noticed the last service was carried out (by the trusted indy) at 41,500 miles rather than the stipulated 40,000 miles, so we're assuming any claim would be thrown out.

Any wise words welcome!

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - Avant

You can certainly try claiming under the warrany, but there's probably a clause somewhere in the Ts and Cs saying that it's up to the owner to check oil levels regularly. Can you remember how long ago you or your wife last checked?

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - badbusdriver

Because of the independant service, i wouldn't imagine you'd have any success with hyundai. How long ago was that service done?, as it seems unlikely that you could lose all the oil without noticing it?. What i am wondering i guess, is, did your indy put the sump plug back on properly?.

And yes, 3 litres seems to be pretty much all of it!.

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - craig-pd130

I know it's not the answer you'd want to hear, but I think your assumption is correct, I would not expect any goodwill from Hyundai, mostly because the last service was not done by a Hyundai dealer.

Even if you can produce a receipt from your indie garage showing everything was done to Hyundai standards and using approved parts, Hyundai does not have to accept it as sufficient proof to maintain the warranty.

And as Avant said, unfortunately the onus is on owners to ensure that oil / coolant levels etc are monitored and topped up. As it only usually takes 750ml to a litre of oil to go from 'low' to 'high' on the dipstick, the fact you had to add 3+ litres means that engine damage was unavoidable.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do other than chalk it up to experience and pay out for a good used engine. The current engine will not be worth trying to repair, the damage will be too widespread.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 06/06/2019 at 12:24

Thanks for the replies folks.

The indy is a very good one, and regularly wins the national top technician awards and even officially services electric vehicles with various makes, as we're well off the beaten track here.

As stated, we should have checked more regularly - we used to, but sometimes life gets busy and things get squeezed out. Won't get caught out again though and a painful reminder not to overlook the basics!

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - gordonbennet

That's some serious oil consumption to get through 3 litres between services, you don't mention current mileage or i missed it.

Couple of things spring to mind here, for that amount of oil to be lost its either spilling or leaking out, in which case where its usually parked should be filthy with oil residue, the engine bay ringing wet in oil, or its being burned and to get through 3 litres of oil should have produced some noticeable smoke from the exhaust, which presumably no one noticed.

So i'm wondering if anyone remembered to top the oil up properly at the last service, of course it had some oil in or it would have died within minutes, but i'm wondering of the garage uses an electronic oil dispenser from a bulk tank, and someone relied on the amount they entered for refill, and failed to actually check the disptick before dropping the bonnet....ie a refill might be 3.5 litres, did some chump misplace the decimal and put .35 in instead?

I don't trust dashboard electronic oil level gauges, i want to see the oil level and condition for myself every week.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/06/2019 at 12:53

Mileage is 48,000 miles and was last serviced/MOT'd November. We usually get it serviced on the dot, but because the MOT due date was not too far off we decided to wait a month longer and combine it with the service.

The oil was last checked in March, as it was in for a new tpms sensor.

We've never noticed any oil on the driveway. The indy are obviously denying any culpability...

Anyway, lesson learnt - trust/assume nothing.

I've just bought a used engine for £700, let's hope it works - and wish me luck!

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - Brit_in_Germany

Does the warrnty include any clause indicating "consequential damage not covered" or the like? If so, they may pay for the cost of replacing the sensor but not the damage to the engine.

Does the warrnty include any clause indicating "consequential damage not covered" or the like? If so, they may pay for the cost of replacing the sensor but not the damage to the engine.

Yes, there is a similar clause, so I'll probably just leave it at that.

Checking oil levels was something I used to do religiously, but with modern life and more reliable cars I've gotten out of the habit.

Mileage is 48,000 miles and was last serviced/MOT'd November.

The oil was last checked in March

I've just bought a used engine for £700, let's hope it works - and wish me luck!

If it used the whole 3 litre sumpful in, what 2000 miles since checked in March? (we assume the garage did check the level via the dipstick), then the engine was in a bad way anyway you look at it, hopefully you've found a good used engine and all works out.

Please remember to update the thread when it's fitted and running.

Please remember to update the thread when it's fitted and running.

Just got the car back and it drives very sweetly indeed. However, the garage said they could detect the occasional very slight 'hiccup' but suggested I run it for a while and take it back again for a check and diagnostics.

It does seem quite a bit smoother and quieter than the old engine (before it gave trouble) but we'll run it for a week or so and take it back in - I'll update the thread then, when I'll reveal the total cost as well!

Thanks for the update, part one.

Pleased for you its running well, hopefully it'll settle down to be a nice runner.

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - edlithgow

I don't trust dashboard electronic oil level gauges, i want to see the oil level and condition for myself every week.

Isn't that all you get with some modern cars?

IIRC I read the BMW 1 Series was one such, and that's quite a while ago.

Of course I wouldn't touch one with a...er...dipstick, but it'll never occur to many punters.

A colleague here got one and of course had no idea what I was talking about.

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - Lrac

Is there definitely an oil level indicator or simply an oil pressure indicator. If there is an oil level indicator then surely you can only be expected to assume it is working correctly and if it is not then the consequences were caused by the failure of a part still under warranty.

Presumably if there is an actual level indicator this would not be a service item anyway.

Makes me wonder, are people with tyre pressure sensors still expected to check their pressures with a separate gauge?

Personally I do not rely on such sensors but that's irrelevant obviously they are there to inform you and its not your fault if they are mis informing you.

Just my personal opinion

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - SteveLee

You can't burn that much oil without smoke or leak that much without signs of leakage - I'd say the issue was almost certainly serious under-filling at the previous service.

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - madf

You can't burn that much oil without smoke or leak that much without signs of leakage - I'd say the issue was almost certainly serious under-filling at the previous service.

Being a Scot who checks he gets what he pays for, I always checked oil after a service - to make sure it had been changed...(colour)

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - Bromptonaut

My daughter recently had a problem with her Peugeot 107 failing to start. Turned out to be a duff battery but RAC tech also pointed out that oil level was very low. She's living with in laws at moment and FIL had a can of suitable stuff in his garage from which they topped it up.

Says no sign of any leaks - I've sent her You Tube vid on how to change oil so she can see both plug and filter. No drips there and nothing to suggest leakage from gaskets etc. Working supposition is that local indy who serviced it drew too little from bulk supply and underfilled. It's another engine with only 3 litres to fill.

Son has same model and it definitely uses a bit between services. I have repeatedly tried to din into him need to check dipstick regularly but he's got to funny noises/low oil warning at least twice.

Couple of weeks ago I was chatting to a couple I was housemates with back in 81/82. They related their Austin Allegro c1986 that needed topping up during any long journey. That of course prompted me to mention son's overlooking of routine checks that were ingrained in my generation. Think I may have mildly offended; both admitted they'd not know where to look for dipstick on their Mazda or Jazz.

I promised to report back a while after the engine was replaced.

Bill for removing old engine and fitting my supplied Ebay-sourced engine was £800 all in.

It runs much smoother and quieter than the old engine, which leads me to suspect there was perhaps something not right even after I'd first bought it. No sign of abnormal oil consumption so far, but will definitely be mindful of levels and strange noises from now on...

I see there was another recent i10 thread on a similar situation. I too used a trusted indy as we're too far from a main dealer, but have to admit there are responsibilities with ownership and we were lax.

Mindful of the above, I am getting my other car (a Jeep) serviced at a main dealer whilst it's still under warranty, whilst religiously checking the levels regularly!

Turned out to be a duff battery but RAC tech also pointed out that oil level was very low.

Bromp, they only learn when their neglect hits them in the pocket with a serious repair bill, you can tell them till you're blue in the face and it just goes in one ear and out the other, and yes those little 'yota 3 pots do like a drink of oil.

Rumfitt, glad it's running well, thanks for the further update.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/07/2019 at 20:27

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - paul 1963

Yes glad it's sorted, my son is exactly the same as Bromp's and strangely enough also runs a 107, cleans and wax's it to within a inche of it's life but only ever checks fluids when we visit and even then reluctantly.....

Glad to hear you have got the car back on the road. That price seems pretty reasonable to me too, i'd imagined it would have been more!.

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - John F

Young folk do seem to neglect basic checks, especially if they have a newish car which they think doesn't need checking so much. I remember a girl (who's daddy had recently bought her a new small citroen for 21st) calling to pick up my son for long journey back to Bristol. Being a bit obsessional I asked to check the basics. The oil level was just touching the bottom of the dipstick, way below the minimum mark. I possibly saved her a seized engine. I hope she (and daddy) learned a lesson.

Working at a VW dealership in the early noughties, i remember when the PD turbo diesel's came out being surprised that buyers were sent away with a container of oil and strict instructions to check regular. As good as the engines were, they did go through the oil!.

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - Andrew-T

Young folk do seem to neglect basic checks, especially if they have a newish car which they think doesn't need checking so much.

Not just the young folk, either. Some time back in the 80s we were visiting sis-in-law's family in Aberdeen. Hubby's father had recently died and they had inherited his old Maxi, which we used for a jaunt round the hills leading down to the Torry docks, jamming on the brakes near the bottom. Back at their place I checked the fluid levels (opaque metal master cylinders of course) and found hardly any brake fluid.

Hubby has never looked after his vehicles, just waited for something to go wrong. Today's young folk probably expect the car to tell them in time.

Edited by Andrew-T on 31/07/2019 at 12:43

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - Lee Power

A Golf TSI less then 5 years old appeared at my friends garage sounding rough & engine management light on, lads had never seen the car or owner before.

Lads plugged it in & error for variable valve timing stored, they then proceeded to check the levels under the bonnet & the oil was barely registering on the bottom of the dipstick, lads went & fetched the owner from the office to show her the lack of oil on the dipstick.

Turns out the female owner had been driving it for several weeks with the management light on, when questioned further when she last checked the oil the reply was " I had it serviced about a year ago "

The lads replied that monthly at least lights & levels checks are very important between services to avoid expensive bills & failures.

After discussing with the owner the Golf left with the oil level topped up & a slightly less noisy engine but alas the damage had already been done.

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - Avant

"Working at a VW dealership in the early noughties, i remember when the PD turbo diesel's came out being surprised that buyers were sent away with a container of oil and strict instructions to check regular. As good as the engines were, they did go through the oil!."

The VAG diesels I had always used a litre of oil in the first 10,000 miles (hence the free container when new) but never used a drop after that.

Fortunately VAG cars stil have a proper dipstick, instead of one of those vaguely-calibrated screen displays hidden in a sub-sub menu, as with Volvos and BMWs.

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - RT
Fortunately VAG cars stil have a proper dipstick, instead of one of those vaguely-calibrated screen displays hidden in a sub-sub menu, as with Volvos and BMWs.

Sadly that's no longer true - the Audi/Porsche/VW 3.0 V6 TDI originally had a dipstick but soon replaced by an electronic sensor - for a while the plug could be removed and a dipstick bought from a dealer - but recent versions no longer have the boss to fit a dipstick.

The sensor and display has no way of showing overfills.

Hyundai i10 - Engine damage warranty claim advice - gordon115

The EA888 engine in my Scirocco had a dipstick but the same engine in my Audi (longitudinal though) didn't.

My Audi also used a litre of oil every 600 miles (which is one of the reasons I got shut) and never leaked or smoked.

My Scirocco with the same engine only needed 1 top up between services.

Interesting postscript to me vowing to maintain a main dealer service history to keep the warranty going.

Just had my Jeep serviced at the usual flagship glass palace, an 'intermediate' service. Was promised they would update any software and also asked them to investigate a slow puncture as sometimes the TPMS systems can be damaged when disturbed, so they would replace it under warranty if broken.

Fixed price was quoted at £229, fairly reasonable as they have to make their money somewhere. Turns out this doesn't even include an oil change - what kind of service is that?! So, paid another £45 to get the oil done.

Upon collection they had looked at the wrong tyre and found no fault, despite the specific tyre being recorded on the service sheet, and they hadn't any replacement valves in stock anyway (I booked it in over a month ago).

They couldn't do the software/maps update as promised because they haven't got a fast enough internet connection and it would be chargeable because it takes so long...

To cap it all, they'd pumped up three of the tyres to 10psi above the recommended levels and one to nearly 20psi higher than the book.

That's why I stopped using main dealers - coffee was truly excellent though!

so what did they do for £229.? what an amazingly incompetent garage! glad the coffee was good..

Double post......I need coffee!!

Edited by paul 1963 on 05/08/2019 at 09:11

Also, I forgot to mention, they send you a video of the inspection, with recommended actions, which in my case was new disks and pads at £500, despite them having plenty of life in them. When I queried this they said that because we live near the sea we would need them replacing sooner.

I heard another chap getting the advisories lecture, adding up to £1200 on his Fiat 500. They cleverly phrase these advisories so they sound like important safety issues in an MOT test - kerching!

Dear Lord, Rumfitt, what pray then constitutes an interim service to the tune of £229, of course it wouldn't include an oil change at that bargainous price...if you detect a hint of sarcasm at what loosely passes for dealer care (presumably the workshop is in a delapidated shed round the back with candles for lighting) there you are getting warm.

That deserves a letter of complaint to the dealer principal at least IMO and if he's as pointless as his dealership and ignores you then take it as high as you can with Jeep UK.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/08/2019 at 09:16

Totally agree GB, that's truly disgusting "service". Are we allowed to name and shame on here?

Rumfitt, whatever action you pursue with this pointless dealer, there is no way i would let them have my car again.

Whilst its under warranty have you investigated other dealers within travelling distance, especially those in more rural (farming, not the Cotswolds) areas, i know people who have researched other dealers and try to combine a visit with getting their cars serviced by competent people offering value instead of giving an awful local dealer who thinks they have a captive customer base any more business.