Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - LinuxGeek

I'm looking to buy a new car and can't decide between these two.

Main requirements are it should accommodate 2 adults + 3 children. Oldest child is out of the seat, the second one should be out of seat in less than a year whereas the third one is only 2. Need decent sized boot space, comfortable and reliable. I don't change my cars often (I've had current Honda Accord for over 9 years).

Either would be auto and diesel. Budget is between £20k - £25k. A 2 years old, low mileage CR-V is almost £5k cheaper than like for like Q5.

My head says CR-V but heart says Q5! I've always liked Audis but never owned one.

CR-V plus point for me:

Lots of space at the rear and flat floor would mean no complaints from kids
Bigger boot
Long term reliability should be better
Auto gearbox has lots of good reviews.

Q5 plus points:

It looks nice inside out.
Premium feel inside with lovely interior and tech
Wife likes it

Edited by LinuxGeek on 29/05/2019 at 10:52

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - Manatee

It would be a simple decision for me. I wouldn't buy a second hand car with a DSG gearbox, with no knowledge of how it had been used.

That said, my daughter has a now 7-8 year old A6 3.0 diesel with the wet clutch DSG that has given no trouble. It also feels a lot more "authentic" in use than the dry clutch DQ200 version in our Roomster which I think is poor when manoeuvring, the opposite of what a good auto should be.

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - SLO76
The Audi is the nicer car to look at, sit in and drive but if it has to be a diesel auto then the Honda is the only choice, I just wouldn’t buy a DSG equipped VAG car. Plus VAG diesels aren’t as reliable as Honda these days with well known issues with the DPF and EGR.

The CRV is reliable and cavernous inside plus it’s a relaxed (not fun) drive especially with an auto box. It’s a shame you have to take the twin turbo engine and 4wd to get an auto though as economy suffers compared to the single turbo 2wd. It’s a car I’ve owned and would buy again but I’d also have an auto this time.
Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - RaineMan

For a keeper my vote would go for the Honda. They seem to have near Toyota reliability. Even when the major mechanicals are reliable the German brands seem to suffer too many niggling faults!

Edited by RaineMan on 29/05/2019 at 11:46

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - badbusdriver

Not really a fan of SUV's, and not a big fan of Audi's in general!. But, while we would normally suggest folk avoid the DSG gearbox, the Q5 presumably has the more durable 'wet clutch' variety. As for the space, the figures suggest very little difference in boot volume between the two (540l for the Audi vs 589 for the CR-V). I can well see the advantage of the flat floor of the Honda though and looking at pics on Autotrader the Audi appears to have quite a pronounced hump in the middle.

The fact that your wife wants the Audi shouldn't be underestimated(!), but how much of a factor this is would depend on the strength of her feelings. Only you know this, and you will have to live with her should you choose the honda. If she is really set on the Audi, you should probably go with that to keep the peace, i doubt you'd be dissapointed. But personally, i'd go with the Honda for two main reasons (i'm ignoring my particular feelings about Audi here).

1, The flat rear floor, because you have 3 kids and keep your cars for a long time. Due to the current age of your kids, this wouldn't be an issue an issue now, but will definately become one as the kids get bigger (especially their legs!). This, along with the bigger boot means it is going to be more practical long term.

2, Running costs. As you plan to keep the car long term, the Audi's (potentially) lower depreciation won't be a major factor, so the greater economy of the Honda would swing it for me. Yes the Audi has more power, but neither are sports cars and the Honda has plenty for my needs.

With your budget I’d personally be looking to push up a bit to the latest model. It’s petrol only but very nearly as economical as the twin turbo diesel 4wd and it’s a much nicer thing to drive from what I’ve read plus much nicer inside. With petrol engine you remove any worry of DPF issues too. Depreciation will be less than a late model previous gen too which will balance out the extra initial outlay. In fact I suspect overall it’ll be cheaper to run.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190519812...1
Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - daveyjp

The only questions which need answering are does your mileage and use justify a diesel and will it do so for all the time you intend owning the vehicle?

Case in point as to why a diesel may not prove to be the correct choice if the answer to both these isn't a resounding "yes".

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/130725/audi-a6-2014-3-0l

Thanks for all the replies so far. Its always nice to know what others would do if they were in the same scenario.

My annual mileage doesn't justify diesel but I want an auto car and Honda CR-V (2012-2017) has a horrible auto gearbox with petrol compared to auto diesel.

Audi Q5 I believe the auto and petrol combination is out of my budget.

“My annual mileage doesn't justify diesel but I want an auto car and Honda CR-V (2012-2017) has a horrible auto gearbox with petrol compared to auto diesel.”

I agree and I wouldn’t recommend that combination, certainly not with your heathy budget. You could get a well equipped and far superior 1.5 turbo new shape for a little over your top budget with a little negotiation. This is where my money would go. If you want an older gen I’d stay below £17-£18k as anything dearer will plummet in value since it’s quite dated now.

“Audi Q5 I believe the auto and petrol combination is out of my budget.”

It would still be using a DSG gearbox. A quick search around online will reveal loads of cases of hugely expensive woe regarding this hugely complex and trouble-prone gearbox. This is your biggest worry here especially if you intend on keeping it beyond the original manufacturer backed warranty. I’d rule the Audi out unless you can live with a manual box.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/05/2019 at 14:51

OK seems like Q5 is ruled out.

What are everyone's thoughts on BMW X5 Petrol-PlugIn Hybrid?

OK seems like Q5 is ruled out.

What are everyone's thoughts on BMW X5 Petrol-PlugIn Hybrid?

Rare and expensive. In place of a bulletproof nearly new CRV 1.5T CVT you’ll be looking at a car with around 60-70k plus on a 4cyl BMW motor that has a reputation for timing chain problems. I wouldn’t sink £25k plus into one.

This is what I was talking about:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190504760...1

Like CR-V its got proper flat floor at the back which would mean 3 kids sit comfortably.
Either hybrid of diesel. I believe BMW diesels and auto gear boxes are pretty solid?

Edited by LinuxGeek on 29/05/2019 at 22:00

I believe BMW diesels and auto gear boxes are pretty solid?

Not sure who told you that but it isn't true, at least not the engine part. The gearbox maybe, assuming it is a t/c auto. If you look at BMW reviews on this website, pick a random one such as 5 series or 3 series, look at the good/bad section, and you will find numerous reliablity issues which affect, most comonly, the 4 cyl diesel engines. Also, looking at the pics, the car clearly doesn't have a flat floor in the back, it may not be as pronounced a hump as the Q5, but it is there all the same.

You said earlier the choice was between the Q5 and the CR-V, discounted the Q5, but now seem to also have discounted the CR-V, why?

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/05/2019 at 22:27

This is what I was talking about:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190504760...1

Like CR-V its got proper flat floor at the back which would mean 3 kids sit comfortably.
Either hybrid of diesel. I believe BMW diesels and auto gear boxes are pretty solid?

Exactly my point. A near 70,000 mile BMW does not a wise buy make at over £27,000. As it approaches 100,000 miles it’ll absolutely plummet in value not to mention suffer from plenty of the usual BMW woe as it ages. I suggest a rethink but then it’s your money. I think I see where you’re going and the badge is rather important. If you absolutely must have a BMW or an Audi then stick with the 6cyl diesel BMW and take it for a regular longer run to keep the DPF happy. There’s no comparison here with the less refined and likely less reliable hybrid which will be over 100,000 miles before you’re done with it. You’d lose an absolute fortune in it. Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190510780...6

Edited by SLO76 on 29/05/2019 at 22:33

Might i suggest an alternative combining Japanese reliability, hybrid drivetrain and a more prestigious badge than Honda. If you can live with the looks, which are admittedly divisive, the Lexus NX300H shares the extremely reliable running gear of the Toyota RAV-4 hybrid. It is less spacious than the CR-V (probably similar to the Q5), and while it does have a hump in the rear floor, it appears quite small.

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - Avant

I get the impression that you're not smitten with the CR-V as it isn't much more fun to drive than your previous unloved Qashqai. So take your time and go through the options again.

If the Lexus NX is too small for your family, then it could be worth seeing what age of Lexus RX you can get for your budget. Or as I suggested in the previous thread, "you could add the Ford S-Max to your list - also the very similar SEAT Alhambra and Ford Galaxy. I think the Citroen C4 Grand Picasso may be wide enough too."

I could also have mentioned the Skoda Superb estate: you could probably afford a new one, or nearly new if you go for the 2.0 litre which has the more reliable wet-clutch version of DSG.

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - Happy Blue!

I was in the same situation as Linuxgeek ten years ago. Problem was solved by buying a one year old Ford S-Max. Loads of room, flat floor, excellent driving position and a great driving car. Kept it for five years and it is still on the road. Kids loved it especially as one liked being in the very back and the other two had their personal space as we would put a suitcase between them on the dropped down middle seat.

One repair in five years, a leaking rear shock. I love that car still and would have another tomorrow if I needed the room.

Thanks for throwing in other options.

CR-V is still at the top of my list but I just want to look at what else is there. After driving Honda Accord for 9 years and getting absolutely trouble-free motoring it'll be silly to look at any other brand. However, its the brand conscious / time for change part in me that says, buy something else. :-)

Just to throw a spanner in the works(!), thinking about the accomodation question, along with what Happy Blue said about his S-Max. For less than the cost of that BMW X5, you could have this 2018 Kia Sorento (7 seats) with 5k and 5 years warranty remaining.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190521817...1

Being sold by a Kia dealer too notice, got to be worth some consideration?

Wierd, the link doesn't seem to be working as it should?

Edited by badbusdriver on 30/05/2019 at 10:57

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - christo

Well, we have owned both types of car and would go for the Honda without a doubt.. The Audi Q5 was unreliable, letting down my wife on several occasions/ The good old Honda was ok in its time with us. and the main dealers were good. They were both diesels and my wife's summary is that diesels don't like short journeys at all!

I part ex'd the Q5 for Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV a couple of years ago, which has been superb in its reliability and entirely dependable

Please advise if you need any more information etc

“I was in the same situation as Linuxgeek ten years ago. Problem was solved by buying a one year old Ford S-Max.”

A splendid big car but the OP wants an auto and Ford’s Powershift box is even worse than VAG’s DSG for failures. So much so there’s class actions against Ford around the world relating to gearbox failures. Ford have decided to do away with it and return to a conventional torque converter transmission instead.
Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - pyruse

I'm surprised to read that the petrol CRV has a horrible auto gearbox. My Mk II CR|V (2006) has a very nice auto gearbox. What changed in the later model?

I'm surprised to read that the petrol CRV has a horrible auto gearbox. My Mk II CR|V (2006) has a very nice auto gearbox. What changed in the later model?

It’s not the autobox that’s the issue, it’s a perfectly smooth changing and utterly reliable design. The issue is the lack of torque from the normally aspirated 2.0 petrol motor which doesn’t have the power for a large SUV with automatic transmission. As a cheaper older SUV it makes sense as a reliable but thirsty self-shifting hold-all but at £20000 plus there’s far far better available including Honda’s own new model with vastly superior and more economical 1.5 turbo or the older 1.6 twin turbo diesel.
Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - Sarah kingsley

My sister has three children too , ages 4, 5,7 and shes currently pregnant expecting her 4th. She was driving a honda civic however that is now too small. She test drove my Q5 which also has proven too small, just like your wife she was gutted as she loves my Q5 , mine is auto and petrol. She said after sitting in my Q5 she said you can tell that audis are more luxurious inside but that comes at a cost of reliability and like you she has never had an issue with her civic. She doesn't like the CR-V as she thinks its ugly and she just did not like it inside. So she checked out my suggestions and looked at the toyota rav4 , lexus RX and the Kia sorento.

The rav4 was not comfty she said at all and did not seem big enough , the lexus RX she struggled to find one within her budget but she found it comfty , good interior. Her winner though was the kia sorento , being a 7 seater there was plenty of space, she loved the seats they were comfty and the quality inside suprised her she said its just good as the lexus. The kids also preferred the kia to the others. Kia is also a reliable brand and have the best warrenty at 7years or 100,000 miles , my sister was able to buy a 2yr sorento from a kia dealer and and it only has 10k on the clock and so has 5yrs warrenty left as she will never reach the 100k of the warrenty.

I would say look at the kia sorento.

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - Avant

Good call Sarah. When I was suggesting alternatives I forgot the Kia Sorento and the similar Hyundai Santa Fe. Both capacious 7-seaters and well worth a look, although I don't know how wide the middle row is.

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - RT

The Santa Fe 2nd row is wide, by European standards, I used to get three adults in outdoor gear into mine - snug but not uncomfortable even for long journeys.

An issue that arose with the Santa Fe's replacement is that some centre seats are wide enough but uncomfortably hard on some cars where the 2nd row is designed for two people, eg premium models!

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - NARU

I've been very happy with my Sorento (2016 Auto). Just coming up to its first MOT. No breakdowns. Only one warranty claim for a little bit of corosion on a couple of alloys.

If you're buying used, it's worth considering a KX3 or above if you want Android Auto for navigation. The early kx1 and kx2 have nav but not android auto. If in doubt look at the steering wheel - if it has a microphone button I believe it can do android auto.

A maps update at the dealer (if you prefer the onboard nav) costs £25 incl VAT.

If you buy an approved car under 18 months old, they renew the 7 year warranty (ie. if you buy a car a year old, you get 7 years, not six remaining).

Some Kia dealers are very poor. Others are excellent.

The only issues I have with the bigger Kia and Hyundai models is depreciation and the fact that the do rust more rapidly then rivals underneath. This may be less of an issue down south but our good old Scottish winters separate the quality from budget pretty quickly and the biggest killer of these brands up here is underbody rot.

There’s almost no first or second gen Sportages up here at all or first gen Kia Sorento’s as they’ve all crumbled away while there’s loads of old Toyota RAV4’s and Honda CRV’s. Dealers know this and value them accordingly.

Image is also important for the OP and the Korean brands still struggle here. Otherwise brilliant car though with excellent warranties and a good record for reliability.

Edited by SLO76 on 31/05/2019 at 12:34

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - pyruse

What about the Suzuki Grand Vitara, or the Mitsubishi Shogun?

I'd like to report that I've bought a Honda CR-V at the end. I'm glad my head won over my heart. This is what I got.
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190123422...s

Had a great dealer service, they went out of their way to let me drive away the car on Sunday to save me another 4 hours+ round trip!

Looks like a lovely big car. Nice colour and right model and being an approved used example it should be in excellent condition. Exactly what I’d buy myself. The CRV is a relaxed big wagon and suits the automatic transmission and leather seats. I hope you have many years reliable service from it.

I notice the link doesn’t work (often doesn’t for some reason) but if you cut and paste it into search it’ll flag up the advert.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/06/2019 at 10:30

Thank you!

I had easily managed to fit the youngest seat in the middle of the rear seat, 2nd youngest seat on one side and older said he was comfortable on the other side. That sold it for me! :-)

I drive a 2.2 i-CTDI Accord and CR-V is a 1.6 i-DTEC so I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as powerful as my Accord but it proved me wrong. I guess twin turbos make a big difference.

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - macscrooge

For what it's worth, we're on our third CR-V - a petrol Mk2 and two diesel Mk3.

The current Mk3 is now 11 years old and has 96k on the clock. I keep toying with replacing it but it just keeps on going.

When I replace my BMW 4 I would certainly look at the Honda - but not the Audi...

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - Vincent_

Regardless of any other points, if you wish to visualize their exterior differences, you can look them up here: www.carsized.com/en/honda/cr-v/d/2006/audi/q5/d/20.../

The website doesn't seem to have all models, but might be still helpful.

(Edit: be careful: this poster is new to the forum and although he doesn't seem to be advertising anything, we can't guarantee that the link is safe. KB below, on the other hand, is a regular member.)

Edited by Avant on 15/07/2019 at 00:17

Q5 CR-V - Audi Q5 OR Honda CR-V - KB.

As I might have pointed out before, this site is probably better ..... www.automobiledimension.com/toyota-car-dimensions....l