Kia - Kia Warranty question - s237

Hi all,

I'm considering to buy a 2016 Kia and have a worry about the service history

Services for years 1 & 2 were done in March (correctly) but then the car was Sorned in Jan 2019 and the Service for 2019 (3rd service) was missed as per schedule. The garage said they would service before sale.. but does this invalidate the Kia 7 year warranty?

I tried ask Kia but they are close for the bank holiday and the car is only reserved till Monday

Any advice would be welcome

Kia - Kia Warranty question - Electric Leaper
As you are asking Kia to confirm whether the warranty is valid, I assume you have reserved this car at a non-Kia dealership. I would personally be looking at purchasing from an approved Kia dealership where they can confirm before reserving or putting any money down whether the warranty is valid.

The risk you run on this car is if something goes wrong, Kia could point to the fact the car wasn’t serviced to schedule and deny the warranty claim. For me, it’s a risk too big and therefore I wouldn’t be purchasing this car.

Edited by Sunny M on 26/05/2019 at 11:49

Kia - Kia Warranty question - badbusdriver

If you are being pressured into buying the car before verifying how or if the SORN period will affect the warranty, i'd definately give it a miss. As the previous poster says, buying from a dealer is the safest option if you want the security of that 7 year warranty.

Kia - Kia Warranty question - gordonbennet

Yup, i'd be walking away from that one too, simply not worth the risk, even if you were told it would be ok by someone at the Kia garage i would want that confirmed in writing on Kia dealer letterheaded paper.

As above Kia dealer, there is after all more warranty on this car (all being well), a 3 year old Kia, than a brand new eurobox from most other makers, you wouldn't be buying a brand new Ford/Pug/VW if there was any question at all about the warranty being valid.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/05/2019 at 13:06

Kia - Kia Warranty question - SLO76
If anyone other than a Kia dealer has serviced it then regard the warranty as void. To be honest I doubt they’d honour it if the third service has been missed by more than a couple of months but if this is an approved used car at a main dealer and this is the dealer you intend on using for maintenance and any claims then it should be fine. Otherwise regard the warranty as void and ignore anything the sales staff tell you otherwise. I’ve often listened to ill-informed or blatantly dishonest sales people selling (Kia’s in particular) this way. No full main dealer history, no warranty.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/05/2019 at 13:09

Kia - Kia Warranty question - Prjpro

I have been in a very similar situation. I called Kia UK and the said, in case of a warranty claim, they will refer to the terms and conditions.

There is a grace period (1 month or 1000 miles she said). If the service is done after that, the warranty will be invalid. She also said there is special situations where it can be covered under warranty, but if you are looking for peace of mind, that car is not the right option.

Kia - Kia Warranty question - skidpan

Seen this question asked many times on the Kia forum in the past. Kia say the same thing every time, suspect its just cut and paste. Basically they say that a missed or late service would not invalidate the warranty but if a problem occurred and Kia considered the neglected servicing contributed they would not pay.

Kia - Kia Warranty question - NARU

This is what Kia customer services said on the Kia Owners' forum:

"A missing or late service does not automatically invalidate the 7 year warranty. However if an issue arises and is linked to a service item that wasn't serviced within the time and mileage recommendations, that particular claim can be rejected. This is covered on page 7 of the warranty information book that should have come with the car."

The intermediate services often don't involve an oil change (dependent on model and mileage), but as they are a good check around, there is a long list of things that Kia can say they might have spotted earlier.

The Kia warranty is pretty good, but it does need to be backed by a complete service history. For the purposes of buying this car I'd assume that the warranty was worthless - and only be prepared to pay a price that reflected that.

When I was buying, I found lots of car dealers who were less than honest on this front. Several Toyota dealers were selling cars which were 14-15 months old (having been hire cars) but would not answer the straight question about the warranty.

Edited by NARU on 27/05/2019 at 11:46

Kia - Kia Warranty question - kiatech

The 7 year warranty on KIAs is amazing, they will pay for almost anything. That said the cars are very reliable and the chances of a major failure is slim

Poor history doesn't automatically invalidate warranty's and KIA are always objective in their decisions. For instance we have had several cases where a fuel injector has failed, if you can prove to them the failure was not a result of lack of servicing they will pay out, this usually just involves taking a fuel sample and checking the fuel filter has been changed at the correct interval

We currently have a 6 year old Venga in our workshops that not been in a main agent for the last 5 years, the ECU has failed but KIA dont consider this to be a result of a lack of servicing so have authorized the fittment of a new ECU.

Where issued do arise is usually engine failure, if its been serviced at an independent its not enough to prove the correct grade of oil has been used, it also needs to low ash and this needs to be on the servicing invoices.

Personally I would buy from a agent and take a service contract at the same time, they cost buttons and KIA have no where to go in the highly unlikely situation should something go wrong

Edited by kiatech on 27/05/2019 at 13:34