Village traffic parking issues-rural area - FoxyJukebox

I understand that my local council is planning a village consultation exercise( population 7000) on the issue of increased traffic flow and car ownership combined with a chronic lack of public and residential car parking. A large central car park is the obvious solution for now--but undoubtedly there will be complaints, much discussion and probably -a decision to do "nothing" . Hey ho!

As part of this consultation I am going to propose suggesting a few quick wins which will cost next to nothing and raise community awareness. Has anyone any further ideas or experiences emerging from the list below.

1) Ask the local pub located located opposite the school if collecting parents can use car park at delivery or collect times. Double yellow lines outside school entrances.

2) Encourage a sensible parking area/zone -available for 24 hrs at local recreation ground and not just during sporting events or "fete" days

3) No pavement parking anywhere at any time. Nor should bus stop areas be used for vehicles.

4) Mark a drop off area outside local doctor's surgery for people with mobility issues

5) Encourage those with off street parking/garages to actually use these and not block off spaces used by car owners without.

6) Park properly and less selfishly. Leave room for others

7) Launch a scheme to warn( in a friendly way) those with unlicensed vehicles and those without MOT that they face immediate penalties. No abandoned vehicles( unlicensed/no MOT/damaged/neglected) to be tolerated at any time.

8) 15mph speed limit throughout village area

If it was up to me and me alone, I would also put up signs saying "Do you really need a car/two cars? " -but -of course everybody wants one even if the bus services were great( they aren't) but taxi services (Uber) are .

Ideas or experiences anyone?

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - Leif

Taxi? Yeah right. When I took a 15 mile taxi ride to the local city, it cost £25. A return journey would thus be £50. Three times a week, that's £150 please. And as for the journey to work, that would bankrupt me.

If you want a serious suggestion, what about car sharing? I sometimes give a friend a lift to the ice rink as he lives round the corner from me, and I don't mind some company.

15 mph speed limit? I'm against these silly low speed limits. I bet most people ignore them when elsewhere. If they make sense, sensible drivers obey them anyway, if they don't, they don't, and nutters ignore them all cos they're not enforced.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - Engineer Andy

Taxi? Yeah right. When I took a 15 mile taxi ride to the local city, it cost £25. A return journey would thus be £50. Three times a week, that's £150 please. And as for the journey to work, that would bankrupt me.

If you want a serious suggestion, what about car sharing? I sometimes give a friend a lift to the ice rink as he lives round the corner from me, and I don't mind some company.

15 mph speed limit? I'm against these silly low speed limits. I bet most people ignore them when elsewhere. If they make sense, sensible drivers obey them anyway, if they don't, they don't, and nutters ignore them all cos they're not enforced.

I concur about the taxis - when I had a hernia op about 4 years ago, I was unable to drive for a couple of weeks and was forced to get a taxi to the doctors' other surgey in a nearby village because their primary site was being refrubished. The journey is a ride of all of 4.5 miles and takes about 10 - 15 mins at most. The round trip cost me £25.

Car sharing for things like commuting (where you don't need the car to travel to meetings etc during the day, i.e. you only work in the office 95+% of the time) and especially for taking kids to/from school should be seriously considered.

Many parents live within 15mins walking distance of their child's school (I'm talking about those living in the village, not surrounding it) and could walk their kids to school. Quite often its laziness they do this. Many get dropped off where the parent is driving to work.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - SLO76
“1) Ask the local pub located located opposite the school if collecting parents can use car park at delivery or collect times. Double yellow lines outside school entrances.”

I’d say no if I was the owner as it’ll cost custom. People will drive up, see the car park full and drive on. I’d expect the landlord to refuse and you should understand why.

“3) No pavement parking anywhere at any time. Nor should bus stop areas be used for vehicles.”

Sometimes it makes sense to use part of the pavement to ensure traffic can flow easier as long as there’s room enough for pedestrians and pushchairs to pass then there’s no problem at all. I agree regards bus stops though, this causes congestion and is a safety hazard as buses have to offload in the middle of the road if some ignorant fool is in the bus stop.

“5) Encourage those with off street parking/garages to actually use these and not block off spaces used by car owners without.”

Drives me nuts when folk block a lane instead of using their empty driveway. There should be fines if a car is on a busy street when the owners drive has room.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/05/2019 at 14:32

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - RT

UK speed limit have to be in multiples of 10 - so a 20 might help.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - daveyjp

What problem are the Council trying to solve? Are there really serious problems (generally resulting in serious injuries or death on a regular basis), or minor inconvenience at certain times of the day?

Pub car park - I'm amazed parents don't use it already.

If people are buying houses with nowhere to park cars they won't be happy when any parking restrictions are talked about. As a result the TRO process probably won't succeed.

Agree about ban on pavement parking - if roads are narrow double parking will be prevented if it is banned - but who polices it?

20 limits are fine - no public body will enforce, however if its busy drivers will slow. It only takes one to drive at 20 to ensure anyone following does, but ost road users will be local residents and probably won't drive at 20!

Good luck getting any solutions sorted.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - Andrew-T
“1) Ask the local pub located located opposite the school if collecting parents can use car park at delivery or collect times. Double yellow lines outside school entrances.” I’d say no if I was the owner as it’ll cost custom. People will drive up, see the car park full and drive on. I’d expect the landlord to refuse and you should understand why.

I can't think of many places with a pub opposite a school, but there must be some. Neither can I think of many pubs full of customers at school-run time, so a compromise should be possible. Problem would arise when the concession is assumed to apply 24/7.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - concrete

The pub is worth a try, but it depends upon several factors. The landlord may only be the manager and the owner (Enterprise, Pubmaster, Punch Taverns etc etc) may not agree. There may also be an issue about public liability when using the car park. Of course during opening times could be awkward for pub customers too.

Other points raised are fair, but rely on two things. One that 'Joe Public' is actually going to respect or observe them and the local authority highways department agree too. From experience in our village (2000 in the parish-600 in the village) the local authority( probably County Council) do what is best for them. This is usually nothing because it may cost them money and set a precedent for other areas in the authority area. By all means have a go but don't be too disappointed if it comes to nothing. Personally I would try the Parish Council first and get their support, then try to push through the two most important issues you have instead of 6 or 7.

Lastly a 20 zone may be desirable and they are prevalent throughout the land. You may well get support for that. Incidentally a 20 zone is not monitored by 'safety' cameras. They rely on other means and apparently do not prosecute for breaking the 20 limit but for Driving without Due Care and Attention. This does not attract a conditional offer of fine and points or speed awareness course but an automatic court case, so be aware.

Good luck and let us know how you get along. Cheers Concrete

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - CHarkin

1) Ask the local pub located located opposite the school if collecting parents can use car park at delivery or collect times. Double yellow lines outside school entrances.

Will the council pay to have the car park resurfaced when all the Chelsea tractors have chewed up the surface.

5) Encourage those with off street parking/garages to actually use these and not block off spaces used by car owners without.

People get very protective over the space in front of their house to the extent they park there simply to prevent someone else doing so.

“8) 15mph speed limit throughout village area”

A inappropriately low speed limit will only anger motorists who will then be provoked into making dangerous overtaking manoeuvres. I’d agree to 20mph at or near schools but otherwise 30 is fine.
Village traffic parking issues-rural area - Bilboman

Presumably the "walking/cycling" options have already been eliminated from the debate? And also the possibility of a school bus to do the rounds of dropping off and picking up? I grew up and went to school in the London outskirts, followed by a "7000 population" village and finally a town of 90,000 and can recall clearly the three occasions during my 13 year school life on which my dad actually gave me a lift to school, having walked to school without incident in the first two cases and cycled in the last. (Uphill and occasionally in the rain, too. Shocking.)
Yet another utterly weird "continental" idea, which has never taken off in the UK, is building a (single or double) garage on the ground floor of a new-build house, with living space above.

Depends on the location and the population at the local school but I know my firm runs several school service buses to pick up kids at some local schools. These aren’t school contract buses but services that are there as there’s no suitable normal service connecting the school. It may be worth the school speaking to the local service bus provider to see if it’s a viable option. It doesn’t cost them much to add.
Village traffic parking issues-rural area - drd63
Population of 7000 makes that a town not a village. If you don’t like traffic problems associated with urban areas move to a proper village.
Population of 7000 makes that a town not a village.

There's no real definition. Sixty years ago I was at school in a Hertfordshire 'village' with a population (then) of 15,000 - it claimed to be the largest village in England. Don't know the position today, but the numbers will have at least doubled.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - RT
Population of 7000 makes that a town not a village.

There's no real definition. Sixty years ago I was at school in a Hertfordshire 'village' with a population (then) of 15,000 - it claimed to be the largest village in England. Don't know the position today, but the numbers will have at least doubled.

Officially, villages are under 1,000 population - towns are 1,000-20,000 and large towns are 20,000-100,000 - but then it gets complicated by the UK definition of cities.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - pyruse

The village I live in just outside Cambridge has a population of 8500.

It sure isn't a town, just a big village.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - Falkirk Bairn

Local council has re-roofed, re-insulated, new windows, new doors & OFF ROAD parking- smart paved driveways, walls/ gates,......................megabucks I am sure. Thousands of homes over the last 4 years.

Has the off road parking relieved the parking / traffic.???..............not really as most of the cars are still parked on the road because other car owners park in front of the driveways and block them in.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - John F

Yet another utterly weird "continental" idea, which has never taken off in the UK, is building a (single or double) garage on the ground floor of a new-build house, with living space above.

The English idea which took off some years ago is to convert attached garages into a living spaces.

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - Avant

This makes sense, as many of those attached garages were built for something like a 1960s Ford Anglia (which wouldn't have started in the morning if you'd left it outside).

Modern wider cars either won't fit at all, or if they do, the people inside can't get out.

Now there's a need for a computer room / office / study, so why not use the erstwhile garage?

Modern wider cars either won't fit at all, or if they do, the people inside can't get out. Now there's a need for a computer room / office / study, so why not use the erstwhile garage?

Most of the houses in the estate we bought our first house in (in 1967) have had their integral garages converted into anything from junkrooms to saunas, and the small front gardens into parking areas for several cars. Our present place built in 1970 also has an integral garage, which my 205 fits very nicely. I have once put the 207SW inside, just to find out if that was possible - it was, but with centimetres to spare. And whichever car goes in, it is a lot easier to dismount on the drive before pushing the car inside. Luckily the gradient is almost nil, and the car has learnt where to stop :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 25/05/2019 at 11:04

Necessity, as they say, is the mother of invention. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-MaC9fFtz0

A lovely little story from Spain's recent (municipal, regional and European) elections. A feisty lady called Charito stood for the local council of Patones in the mountain region near Madrid. Her two main concerns, and her two election pledges, were to get an extension built to the town's nursing home and provision of parking facilities for the increasing numbers of tourists who come to the area. With virtually nowhere to park, cars are often left on the main highway outside the town, easy prey for the Guardia Civil traffic police.
Charo and some friends - the youngest of whom was 63! - formed a group called "Grandmothers for Patones". She was duly elected councillor at the age of (wait for it!) 95 and has promised to serve the town "for as many years as she has left"!
Full story here: tiny.cc/dbnf7y

Edited by Bilboman on 28/05/2019 at 23:44

Village traffic parking issues-rural area - barney100

The well laid schemes of mice and men.........