BMW 1 Series - VW golf MK6 1.4 TSI vs BMW series 116i (E87) - lukutis222

Hey. I am struggling to make my mind on my second car purchase. I've got a budget of around 3500£. Two main options I am considering are VW golf 2009 1.4 TSI petrol engine which costs around £4k and BMW series 1 2005+ 116i which I could get for around £3k. I have come across mixed reviews about the 1.4 TSI engine for the MK6 as many people seems to be getting problems with timing chain which is very expensive to repair. On the other hand, I am not too sure how reliable are 1.6l engines on the 116i. I am aware that BMW will be more expensive to maintain but I could save around £1k from the purchase which I can keep for future repairs. Any suggestions are welcome please.

BMW 1 Series - VW golf MK6 1.4 TSI vs BMW series 116i (E87) - SLO76
Forget either of them, they’re both total liabilities at this age and money. Forget turbos, leave hot hatches and body-swerve prestige brands until your means match your ambitions. Buy a good petrol Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or Ford Focus Mk II instead. All three will be more reliable, they’ll still drive well and your money will get a newer lower mileage example. The 1.8 Civic in particular is plenty quick enough to entertain yet there’s none of the mechanical worries you’ll get with an early TSi VW or any older BMW.
BMW 1 Series - VW golf MK6 1.4 TSI vs BMW series 116i (E87) - lukutis222

Thank you for your reply. Everyone seems to be suggesting me a honda civic. I do like the honda civic 2012+ but the older version is not really for me. Now that you have mentioned mazda 3, what is your opinion on 1.6 petrol engine as I have heard they are somewhat clunky. I could afford the newer model of the mazda 3 2009+ but I am not too sure whether its worthed an extra £1-1.5k compared to an older model.

Edited by lukutis222 on 29/04/2019 at 18:32

BMW 1 Series - VW golf MK6 1.4 TSI vs BMW series 116i (E87) - badbusdriver

I do like the honda civic 2012+ but the older version is not really for me

Are you sure you are thinking of the right Civic?. The 2012> Civic has very similar styling to the previous model (2006-2011) and is clearly related, but the one before that looked totally different.

As to the Mazda, the 1.6 only offers up around 100bhp, so while it is a very sweet engine, and very reliable, it is no ball of fire. You could consider the 2.0 version, which has 147bhp. Here is a nice looking one well under your budget,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190215497...1

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/04/2019 at 19:26

BMW 1 Series - VW golf MK6 1.4 TSI vs BMW series 116i (E87) - Engineer Andy

Thank you for your reply. Everyone seems to be suggesting me a honda civic. I do like the honda civic 2012+ but the older version is not really for me. Now that you have mentioned mazda 3, what is your opinion on 1.6 petrol engine as I have heard they are somewhat clunky. I could afford the newer model of the mazda 3 2009+ but I am not too sure whether its worthed an extra £1-1.5k compared to an older model.

Nothing 'clunky' about them (I own a 2006 reg example from new), just not a ball of fire - like the similar Ford Focus (related cars, though not that engine) of that era, both are great handling cars. As BBD says, a 2.0 petrol is available, though, like the 1.6, it's a port injected, naturally aspirated engine, so you'll only get about 36mpg (40 if you're gentle on the throttle) from the 1.6L and about 33mpg from the 2.0L petrol. Don't get a diesel as they've had numerous issues.

Both are better drivers' cars than the Civic, but the Civic 1.8 is quicker and, by all accounts, more frugal. The Civic also has a big boot. You may find that the condition of the cars on offer may be just as important as the driving experience if you're on a tight budget.

BMW 1 Series - VW golf MK6 1.4 TSI vs BMW series 116i (E87) - SLO76
I certainly wouldn’t describe the Mazda 3 as “clunky.” It’s a very nimble handling car with a lovely rifle-bolt gear-change and sweet revving engines. The 1.4 is a slug, the 1.6 is no rocket but is acceptable but the 2.0 is worth looking for if you value a bit of extra pep. You’ll get a good one for £3-£4K and the facelifted cars are better made with superior rust resistance and slightly better fuel economy. I’d pay the extra for one.

The Civic from 2012 is beyond your budget but the older car is thoroughly decent if a bit firm riding. I prefer the Mazda to drive or the Focus with the excellent Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol which is reliable and sweet revving. The 1.8 and 2.0 petrols use a Mazda engine and again are robust and a bit quicker.
BMW 1 Series - VW golf MK6 1.4 TSI vs BMW series 116i (E87) - kiss (keep it simple)

Of all the hire cars I had over the years in this size bracket, the Golf TSi impressed me the most, but the Civic 1.8 came a close second. Plenty of grunt and quite refined. Buying 2nd hand with me paying the bills, I would choose the Civic without a doubt.