Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - Jacqueline Fowler

I've just bought a 65-plate Yaris and there is a light to the left of the steering wheel on constantly. It is orange and is a pic of a baby in a car seat. I rang the Toyota showroom and they said it wasn't a warning light.

Is there a way I can switch it off?

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - elekie&a/c doctor
Do you have a handbook? I suspect the light is a warning for passenger air bag switched on/off. Is there a switch in the glove box or at the end of the dashboard?

elekie&a/c doctor, I have just checked. Next to the light is actually says 'ON'.

I want the airbag to be on of course, but don't understand why I need a light on constantly telling me it is on. I can't see any switches on the dash or in the glove compartment.

I have checked the handbook, and can't find any mention of this particular light.

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - badbusdriver

Did a search and found this page form what appears to be a Toyota dealer. Looking at the website address, it may not be in the UK, but here it is anyway,

www.robertstoyota.com/blog/what-do-the-toyota-dash.../

Going by your description, it seems most likley to be the 4th down on the left column, which is the child seat lower anchor. Unfortunately there is no info on what exactly that means, but it does say that if the warning is yellow orange or red, it should be taken in for attention.

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - elekie&a/c doctor

Perhaps that is how the light operates. Does it go off at all? . The reason for my question is that I was in a friends Honda civic last week, and everytime the ignition is switched on, a passenger airbag ON warning displays on the dash for a few minutes,then goes out.

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - Auristocrat

The light shows whether the passenger airbag is either turned off or on. It will come on when the ignition switch is in the engine on position.

Under normal circumstances when the system is on, the light will show 'on'. When the passenger airbag is turned off, it will show 'off''.

The airbag may be turned on/off using the keyslot located at the end of the dashboard moulding on the passenger side - not visible until the passenger side door is open.

Not a warning light. Not something that may be turned off.

You may have the abbreviated owners manual which Toyota have supplied with new cars for the past four years or so. An electronic version of the full owners manual can be downloaded from 'My Toyota' on Toyota GB's website.

Edited by Auristocrat on 10/04/2019 at 23:23

Auristocrat:

Thanks, my handbook seems very thin compared to every other handbook I have had, so you could be right. I will check this out.

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - daveyjp
Same on our Yaris. It took this thread for me to actually notice as its not somewhere I look when driving.

A piece if black tape would 'solve' the issue if its a problem.
Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - phil_z70

My Auris has the same light, not really noticed until I looked for it after reading this thread last night, it's more than likely a safety thing, child seats and airbags don't tend to mix well

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - bathtub tom

That light annoyed me in my Yaris for a while, but I soon learned to ignore it. Doesn't it go off after a few minutes of driving?

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - daveyjp
It stays on constantly. It probably one of those things which gives a couple more points for NCAP ratings.
Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - thecloser

Could I make a contribution to this thread as a VERY non-technical owner of a Mazda 6. A couple of years ago a light similar to the one mentioned by the OP appeared on my dashboard and was identified by my local Mazda dealer (not the one from whom I bought the car) as an airbag tensioner warning. The car was due for an MOT and the dealer said that it would not pass with the light illuminated. They managed to get the light off and they then performed the MOT test (which it passed with flying colours). A day or so later the light re-appeared and I returned to the dealer for advice re the validity of the MOT. They assured me that the certificate would remain valid but that the light would need to be dealt with again before the following year's test. When that came about it was diagnosed as a faulty control unit that cost me over £500 to replace!

Whether this is of any value to the OP I don't know but it might possibly be relevant.

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - Auristocrat

Different scenario

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

On my SIL Yaris Hybrid, the airbag on light goes off after a few minutes.

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - Ethan Edwards

On my 62 plate Yaris Hybrid it was to indicate the passenger airbag was live. Its always on unless you physically switch off the pax airbag. Its NOT a warning light. Should you wish to carry a child in a seat on the pax seat you must deactivate the pax airbag using the key in a switch on the side of the dash in the pax door jam.

Toyota Yaris. - Airbag light on all the time. - Adam>>

www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/182675-activ.../