'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - logger

Very briefly, I gave up my well paid job over 8 years ago to look after my 96yr old mum who lives with us. My wife has her own car which she needs for work 5 days a week. Up til last week I had an old diesel estate for our very large dog but he sadly died last week. I now am looking for a car under £1500 if possible so that I can continue to take my mum out everyday.

Needs: Petrol, 3 or 5 door, not too low, not worried about mpg really as I only do about 3k a year...and now the odd requirement..ideally a bit stylish as I do occasionally visit customers myself (i'm self employed) and the old estate is looking a bit too old now

any suggestions ?.. so far I have seen online a series 1 compact and maybe a volvo s60

cheers

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - Avant

At this budget level, condition has got to be the main criterion rather than make or model, let alone 'style'.

That said, the Mazda 6 petrol or Volvo S60 are good cars which last well, so worth a look. So is the Honda Jazz, which your mum will find it easier to get in and out of.

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - nick62

What about this Mondeo estate, its a lot of car for £1,500.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190313583...1

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - badbusdriver

Plenty of possibilities for a stylish £1500 car. But at that budget, as Avant says, condition should be a the top of your requirements, with reliability, or at least likelyhood of reliability, a close second.

In terms of style (though obvously this will be down to personal opinion) AND reliability within that very small budget, i'd be giving the Hyundai Coupe a close look. This 2.0 example being sold privetely in Manchester would be worth a look if you are not too far away,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190402652...1

There are a few around though (better if you could stretch that budget up nearer £2k) and other engine options are a 1.6 and a 2.7 V6. Don't get too exited about the V6 though, as while reliable, it is not particularly powerful and with its extra weight, not much quicker than the 2.0.

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - Chris M

Fails on the 96yo mum transport requirement I'd have thought.

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - johnnyrev
MX5?! My mum very much enjoys being taken out with the roof down, although she is a relative youngster at 71!

Fails on the 96yo mum transport requirement I'd have thought.

Given the OP was looking at a BMW Compact, i'd have to assume 96 year old Mum will be sitting in the front. If so, how difficult she finds getting into or out of the Hyundai will depend on how tall or short she is. If she is very short, she may not find it too hard at all, and actually, if you look on a ruler at the difference in height between the BMW and Hyundai (7.8cm), it doesn't look that much.

For the record, with that budget and with the 96 year old Mum in mind, if it was my money, i'd be looking at a Nissan Note or a Ford Fusion. With the best will in the world, you could't call either stylish, but they are both reliable and practical, not too big, but not too small, and both have seating positions higher than average. In fact, in the case of the Fusion, i seem to remember that there were various assessments done during the development of the car with folk wearing suits which supposedly mimicked having reduced mobility, to make it easier for them.

Thanks for all the replies so far

First my mum..shes more like 80 but at 5'8 struggled when I had a mx5 about 5 years ago and yes she will be sitting in the front , the car will literally be for me to take her out but by stylish I mean I would like to visit clients and despite me giving up on a well paid job Id like them to think at least I had some 'style' lol...but I would prefer a small to medium car rather than a big estate again.

I agree about condition and reliability and thats where I dont know about the S60 vs Compact vs Coupe etc..

cheers

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - nick62

If you don't want a big estate and you will mainly be using the front passenger seat, why not go for a two door version of what is also made in a four door? Much bigger doors make for an easier entry/egress, (but can be more of a PITA in tight car parks).

How about this BMW coupe, seems stylish enough? I guess it could be a money pit, but has a FSH and only two owners, but at £1,800 (maybe £1,500 outright) you've not a lot to lose?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190402654...2

Edited by nick62 on 03/04/2019 at 20:25

what do people think of the 7th gen celicas.. are they reliable ..and are they low or just look low ?

what do people think of the 7th gen celicas.. are they reliable ..and are they low or just look low ?

They are low, more so than the Hyundai (by 3cm). I really like them myself, though i believe they have a reputation for excess oil useage. But, with your budget, unless driving enjoyment is more of a priority (the Celica is a light car with sharp handling, the Hyundai is not too bad, but not on a par) i think i'd be more inclined to go with the Hyundai out of the two. Being a brand not normally associated with (at the time anyway) stylish or sporty cars, you will get one in better condition for the money than a Celica. It will be at least as reliable (possibly more so given the oil useage), definately more comfortable, more refined, and has a bigger boot. But, TBH, if your Mum struggled with an MX5, why would you be considering something like this?. Also, surely if you want to impress your clients, turning up in a nice anything is going to make a better impression than a ropey sports car?. As a compromise, have a look at a 3 door Focus, or possibly Astra (which actually looks kinda like a coupe anyway).

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190219508...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190328636...1

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - SLO76
Are you really looking for sporty or are you wanting a bit of prestige on a budget? I don’t think you’ll get anything sporty that’ll comfortably accommodate old mother dear but how about going for luxury. Put a private plate on this and it’ll sit happily in a millionaires drive.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190315592...6

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - Falkirk Bairn

SLO76 - 10 out of 10

You certainly can pick the cars - I looked at all 60 pictures & it seems in better condition than some cars after a couple of years use PLUS what looks like bullet proof maintenance record - for £1600 it looks a a great buy for someone.

Are you really looking for sporty or are you wanting a bit of prestige on a budget? I don’t think you’ll get anything sporty that’ll comfortably accommodate old mother dear but how about going for luxury. Put a private plate on this and it’ll sit happily in a millionaires drive.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190315592...6

Wow SLO, what an absolute peach of a car!. It warms my heart no end that you can pick up something like that for so little money!.

Never mind the OP, i'd like that myself!

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - johncyprus
SLO you certainly find the pick of the bunch, what a gorgeous car. I occasionally search for cars but never get the results you do with my saved criteria.

Edited by johncyprus on 04/04/2019 at 10:03

Thanks for that..I was looking at an S60 never thought of an S80 but I guess now someone will probably take it before I can ..

RE-THINK !

After all the comments and having a look at the S80 etc I realise I am not really being sensible

As my wife has the family car and I only do about 3k a year, I dont really need a big car just a suitable one for my mum ( so 2/3 door would be fine ) and so really I guess I would want suggestions on a nice looking small hatchback or even small 4x4

Thanks so far

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - JohnX

Well it looks like someone has already snatched up that car as the advertisement is no longer on the website.

Not surprised at all!.

Wasn't me, honest!

RE-THINK !

After all the comments and having a look at the S80 etc I realise I am not really being sensible

As my wife has the family car and I only do about 3k a year, I dont really need a big car just a suitable one for my mum ( so 2/3 door would be fine ) and so really I guess I would want suggestions on a nice looking small hatchback or even small 4x4

Thanks so far

Thing is, you are the only person who knows what you mean by nice looking, or indeed stylish.

Too true..lets forget the word stylish or nice looking...you are right..one mans stylish is another mans ugly haha

I have very varied tastes s maybe 'different' is better than stylish !!

so far I have seen on auotrader these..all with 12 months MOT and between £900 and £1500

06 Fiat Panda 1.2

04 BMW 325ti compact

01 BMW 320i

98 Jimny 1.3

also Lexus IS200

Edited by logger on 04/04/2019 at 18:35

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - veloceman
Suzuki SX4/Fiat Sedici?

Too true..lets forget the word stylish or nice looking...you are right..one mans stylish is another mans ugly haha

so far I have seen on auotrader these..all with 12 months MOT and between £900 and £1500

06 Fiat Panda 1.2

04 BMW 325ti compact

01 BMW 320i

98 Jimny 1.3

also Lexus IS200

I'd be all in favour of the Panda. Thankfully you have put down the 1.2, which is the most reliable option. Great, totally classless, little runaround with a nice tall seating position for Mum.

I wouldn't go near either of the BMW's at this money. Think of the type of person who is going to buy a cheap rear wheel drive car. Then think of how they will have driven it, then think of how 'well' they will have maintained and looked after it. I see nothing but pain unless you are very, VERY, lucky. Much as i like them, i'd rule out the Lexus for pretty much the same reason.

The Jimny is an entirely different kettle of fish. TBH, i do love them, but they really are not going to be ideal for most folk. Very bouncy ride, exaggerated by being very tall, very narrow and with a very short wheelbase. Also, bear in mind, with the rear seats in use, there is effectively no boot. Don't get me wrong, they are simple reliable little things, but you need to take one for a good long test drive to find out if you could live with the car!.

If you absolutely had to have an SUV, at this money i'd be looking at a MK2 RAV-4 3 door, Hyundai Tuscon (04-09), Honda HR-V (99-06). Or velocemans suggestion, the Suzuki SX4/Fiat Sedici (1.6 petrol), which is half way between a normal hatchback and an SUV, and they are very reliable.

But, IMO, the best of your suggestions is the Panda, though as i said before, were it my money, i'd still take a Nissan Note or Ford Fusion over a Panda, if only for the better crash protection.

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - Engineer Andy

06 Fiat Panda 1.2

04 BMW 325ti compact

01 BMW 320i

98 Jimny 1.3

also Lexus IS200

For the cars on nyour list that were expensive when new, make sure you have lots of spare cash to cover maintenance and replacement parts when they do go wrong. The Lexus will (if properly cared for previously) be the most reliable, but the Beemers can cost a fortune to look after - a neighbour had one of these and did low annual milage and had to scrap it because he just couldn't afford to keep it (a 52 plate 325 compact I think) on the road because wear and tear parts replacements were so expensive.

The Jimny won't be a good car to drive or comfortable. It's no as though your gonna go offroading with it.

Well I've been looking around and thanks to everyones input it seems its going to be hard getting a car I would consider different for the money

The BMW's all seem to have small oil leaks and I did have many years ago an old BMW estate which I had to scrap as I couldn't afford the parts but I though that was unusual..obviously not.., the lexus IS200 seem well maintained but apparently eat petrol like water and can rust.. the jimmy is an easy car to repair and look after but in no way comfortable..

..so I guess I will just have to keep looking for anything under 1000 that fits the bill..

wish me luck !

Indeed - don't dive in just to get anything under a certain amount - make sure you get what meets your needs, and if that means either looking further afield and/or waiting a bit longer (and saving up more for a better car), then all the better.

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - Trilogy.

You won't get much under £1,000 that won't potentially need loads of ££ on it. If you could stretch to a little more than your original £1500 budget I'd go for a 1.8 petrol engined version of the funky looking Honda Civic which came out around 2005. Under £1,000 MK1 Focus 1.6/1.8 petrol. I've had two MK1 Focus, both low owners and full service history. Very reliable and cheap to run, in my experience, even with over 100,000 miles covered.

Good LucK!

Well I've been looking around and thanks to everyones input it seems its going to be hard getting a car I would consider different for the money

The BMW's all seem to have small oil leaks and I did have many years ago an old BMW estate which I had to scrap as I couldn't afford the parts but I though that was unusual..obviously not.., the lexus IS200 seem well maintained but apparently eat petrol like water and can rust.. the jimmy is an easy car to repair and look after but in no way comfortable..

..so I guess I will just have to keep looking for anything under 1000 that fits the bill..

wish me luck !

So what is the problem with a Panda?. Plenty available for your budget, cheap to run, fairly reliable (as a 1.2 petrol), and probably the 'coolest' car in its class.

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - skidpan

There is more to buying a car for transporting an older person than simply buying a taller car.

Consider my mother.

Dad had a Jazz which my mum found very difficult to access/exit simply because the seat base had a noticeable slope to the rear.

So he tried the Note Mk 1 which despite it being a favourite amongst older persons was even more difficult because the seats were a long way in from the cill.

The Fusion was very good in truth.

He bought a Micra (the Mk 3 one) which was perfect.

Some years later after dad had stopped driving we had to consider mum when we were swapping cars. We looked at the older persons favourite the Kia Venga but it was simply too high for mum. Eventually bought a Mk 2 Note which proved perfect.

Now consider my wifes mother. Nowhere near as mobility affected as my mother but only about 4'8" tall with scoliosis. She was beginning to have difficulty with the Note and since my mum had passed away we only had one elderly person to consider. With its height adjustable passenger seat and flat seat bases the Skoda Fabia has proved itself to be a winner.

Try and take the person you are trying to accommodate with you. No point finding out later your new car is "stylish" but useless.

Edited by skidpan on 06/04/2019 at 15:15

Try and take the person you are trying to accommodate with you. No point finding out later your new car is "stylish" but useless.

Indeed. And rather embarrassing and expensive. Making sure a car is comfortable for all users should always be a must. Styling should be the final (least important) thing on a list, particularly for people with mobility issues.

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - SLO76
Where roughly do you live? I’ll take a wee look at what’s nearby.

thanks again for everyones advice.

One quick note. My mum is 96 but is not disabled and does not have arthritis etc, its just that she is 5'8 and struggles a bit to get in and out of low or small cars.. I have had her in an mx5 but it was just too much hassle for her

I live near sandbach in cheshire

thanks again for everyones advice.

One quick note. My mum is 96 but is not disabled and does not have arthritis etc, its just that she is 5'8 and struggles a bit to get in and out of low or small cars.. I have had her in an mx5 but it was just too much hassle for her

I live near sandbach in cheshire

A 96 year old who doesn't have arthritis?, this would be a miracle surely?!.

yes..i'm quite lucky..all my grand parents live into early 100's and none had arthritis at all

'Stylish' car under £1500 ..possible ? - HandCart

I know HJ calls these "a failed car", and this particular one has the questionable diesel engine,

but even now I still think this (3dr, not 5dr) is one stylish car:

tinyurl.com/y5e3g227

What do people think of the Saab 9-3 2.0 T Aero ?

I've seen one advertised for £1000 with FSH, 92k miles, convertible, looks very nice

I presume this is no longer a hot topic as I have had no more suggestions so will keep looking

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..maybe my eye is a bit weird !

I just wish there was a 2 seater used motor that wasn't so low to the ground

thanks again everyone

I think the trouble is that you don't seem to be listening. There are no guarantees of reliability at this price point, but to maximise your chances, you need to get something simple. The fact that you can only afford to put £1500 into the purchase of your car suggests there is no way you can afford the upkeep of something sophisticated and premium, so just don't go there. If you want to take a punt on a £1-1.5k car which cost a lot when new, that is up to you, but it really is a lottery. You may get lucky, but you probably won't and it will end up with a broken car you can't afford to fix. Do yourself a favour and get a nice Focus 1.6/1.8/2.0 petrol and stop looking at stuff like BMW's and Saab convertibles until such time as you can afford to both buy a decent one, and keep it on the road.

fair enough..I was listening and thanks for the advice