Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - Em434

I have a 2010 Volkswagon Golf SE Bluemotion TDI Diesel 1.6 which needs major body work repairs. As I drive into London weekly and will be affected by the expanding low emissions zone of 2021 I am wondering if this is the time to cut my losses and change to a petrol or hybrid car. I want something reliable and with good mpg, i do about 13000 miles per year, 2/3 of which is motorway driving. It needs to have a decent boot space and take 5 adults reasonably comfortably. My budget is around £4000. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - gordonbennet

Assuming the car is in good fettle mechanically and isn't likely to succumb to the rather expensive EGR failure these are prone to (or any of the many others), and you can put up with bodywork, then i'd be inclined to postpone the decision until nearer the date when you must change for economic reasons.

Keep saving so you have more funds for replacement when the time comes, you won't get much of hybrid for £4k, and with there being so many other make hybrids that have entered the market another couple of years of use will show whether Toyota hybrid is still the only one to trust as it ages.

Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - SLO76
Forget anything complex until you have the means to get a good one. That means no prestige brands, no diesels and no hybrids. With only £4K to spend buy a good Japanese petrol hatchback instead. A Civic 1.8, Ford Focus 1.6 (Yamaha motor) or Mazda 3 1.6 (all petrol) would be my favourite options here. When you have £15k plus then you can buy what you want.
Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - Big John

This depends on the requirement for carrying 5 adults in comfort. Myself I'd say most medium size cars (eg Golf) carry 4 in comfort but the 5th person sitting in the middle seat would not be comfortable on a run.

With a 4k budget then you need to be careful - avoid anything complicated (eg avoid anything with a turbo or supercharger) and CONDITION is all. Thoroughly check service and MOT history https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history and do a HPI check! (Look online - this is not too expensive these days). Also watch out for the starting of rust on any car - this problem has not totally gone away.

As SLO mentioned above somehting like a Civic 1.8 is a great car although check the clutch is good.

Another one that fits in the budget that I like is the special edition of the Octavia produced in 2011 (1.6 SE MPI) that has a reasonable spec and is fitted with the older design 8 vlave petrol engine. This is a very sturdy engine and is capable of doing high mileages. Check the air con works and the abs light works (iluuinates for a while and then goes out). This has a huge boot as well.

Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - Em434

Thanks, all of this is really useful.

Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - Engineer Andy

Indeed - essentially the petrol engine must be Euro4 (or higher) compliant, as my MY05 Mazda3's 1.6 petrol does. I suspect the others mentioned do (the 1.8 Honda defnitely will be), but perhaps not all of the Fords, though perhaps only in the early mk1 Focuses. Any petrol engined car under 10yo will be compliant and thus be allowed into ULEZs for at least the next 5 years, maybe even 10 without penalty.

Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - Westernman
You can get a Toyota Prius for that price. Extremely reliable and good on fuel.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190306559...1

Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - Big John
You can get a Toyota Prius for that price. Extremely reliable and good on fuel. www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190306559...1

Would you really start from nearly 200k mile though - I wouldn't. They are reliable but if things go worng it's expensive - brake stuff can cost a fortune due to the combination of regen and real braking although brake pads last for ages. Also due to the batteries a Prius of that age has a fairly small boot.

Edited by Big John on 29/03/2019 at 22:41

Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - SLO76
A highly complex, hugely expensive to repair hybrid with the guts of 200,000 miles up or a good straightforward petrol engined Japanese hatchback that’s also vastly more enjoyable to drive. I know where my £4K budget would go...

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190103361...9

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190205464...5

Volkswagon Golf - Change from Diesel to petrol - drd63
Looks are of course subjective but neither of these have aged well imo. I’d steer clear of the Civic in SE spec, it is very basic and the 1.4 engine is really gutless. There is loads of choice at this price point if you look at a Focus.