1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI - Car

Considering a Seat Leon ST for my next car and are look for a petrol version, would prefer the 1.4 as I do occasionally tow a 500kg trailer, otherwise just 2 up with occasional 4 passengers and luggage but there are more 1.2 TSI for sale.

By buying a 1.2TSI would I be massively short changing myself?

Thanks

Edited by Car on 06/03/2019 at 07:07

1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI - SLO76
Depends on what sort of driver you are. I’d find it perfectly acceptable. It’s capable of sitting all day at limit bursting speeds on the motorway and is certainly stronger than the previous gen normally aspirated 1.6 petrol. Go and take a good test drive in both before committing however as the 1.4 the better of the two and the FR spec will hold its value best as it appeals to the boy racer brigade without being overly sporty.
1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI - Car

Thank you SLO76 I'm fast approaching half a century so I my boy racer days are long gone but do drive enthusiastic on occasions across county but more days I drive with economy and comfort in mind.

I would be looking to get a 4 to 5 year old Leon ST and keep for 4 to 6 years so difference in depreciation costs may not be that different between the 1.2 & 1.4 ?

1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI - daveyjp

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a a single 1.4TSi - the design changed numerous times due to problems.

You need to do your research and know which one is fitted to the cars you are looking at.

it also appears some owners are quite happy at having to add a litre of oil every 700 miles!.

Edited by daveyjp on 06/03/2019 at 08:19

1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI - skidpan

1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI

Simple answer, try both and decide

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a a single 1.4TSi - the design changed numerous times due to problems.

Since the OP is looking to buy the ST he will only be able to buy one fitted with the current reliable belt drive engine.

it also appears some owners are quite happy at having to add a litre of oil every 700 miles!

And that only applies to the old chain cam engine especially the dual charge version. As above since it was never fitted to a Leon ST the OP will not be affected.

We had a 2013 Mk3 Leon hatch fitted with the 140 PS 1.4 TSi and it was magic. We had the SE spec simply because I did not want 1/2 plastic sports seats, rubber band tyres that spoil the ride/handling and lowered stiffened sports suspension that further ruins the ride/handling. Make sure you are happy with the FR before you buy. It may look better but when you have to live with a car looks are not everything. Since SE are not as popular there are bargains out there.

1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI - Senexdriver
My wife had an Ibiza with the 1.2 tsi engine and it was a lively little thing! I’d imagine it would give respectable performance in a Leon as they used to fit it to Golfs and Audi A3s. If your boy racer days are behind you, my guess is that it will be fine. A mate of mine has a Golf Estate with the 1.2 tsi and he’s perfectly happy with it.

You’ll certainly notice more oomph with the 1.4 version. I had a 125 HP and a 150 HP and they were both perfectly adequate whenever a bit of poke was required. I didn’t keep either long enough for problems to develop (around 20,000 miles from new in each case) so I can’t say which was the better design.
1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI - lucklesspedestrian

We've got a Golf with the 1.4 122hp TSi engine and a Leon with the 1.2 TSi 110 hp unit which you are considering. I'm constantly amazed but what a great little engine the 1.2 is. Loses out compared to the Golf a little at the very top end and a little at the very bottom end but in day to day driving there's not much in it. It's certainly got a lot more pull than normally aspirated 1.6 petrol engined cars from a few years back (like SLO76 said). Don't know what it would be like at towing your trailer but suspect it would be okay.

Both engines have been totally reliable so far (probably notched up around 50K between them) and oil use has been minimal.

I like the VAG TSi engines so much thinking about getting the 148hp 1.4 in an Audi A4 next!