Naturally Aspirated Engines - Paul Cliff

I am looking for a car with naturally aspirated engine as I dislike all turbo ones.

My favourite is a Toyota gt86, are there any other ones about new or used under £15k.

Naturally Aspirated Engines - badbusdriver

If your favourite is the GT86 then buy a GT86. Closest alternative (unsurprisingly) is the Subaru BRZ. Or possibly an MX5 with (or without) a hardtop.

Naturally Aspirated Engines - Steveieb
How about the Mazda 3?
That is of course the OP wants an everyday car ?
How about the Mazda 3? That is of course the OP wants an everyday car ?

Yes, well important details like this are notable by their absence!.

It seems more important that the OP lets us know he does not like ANY turbo cars. Which presumably means the OP has driven ALL turbo cars, otherwise how would he know!.

Hmmmm.........!

Naturally Aspirated Engines - skidpan
It seems more important that the OP lets us know he does not like ANY turbo cars. Which presumably means the OP has driven ALL turbo cars, otherwise how would he know!.

Hmmmm.........!

Exactly. Perhaps the OP would tell us why they do not like Turbo's

In our household we have been driving cars with Turbo's since 1996 and would not buy a car without one. The total is currently 8 plus we have had 2 with superchargers as well. Petrols and diesels. Only problem we have had in those 23 years has been a vacuum sensor pipe that was too short and closed up when the engine moved slightly, sorted same day under warranty.

Would not buy a car without forced induction again. Modern N/A cars tend to have very peaky engines that need revving loads to get decent performance and lots of gear changing. Turbo's go like the clappers from little more than tickover (no turbo lag to mention these days) and the mpg they do is way better than N/A cars.

Example. Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 140 PS. Compared to a N/A Golf GTi it was a real rocket ship and consider that the Leon is a family hatch and the GTi a hot hatch of its day. The Golf would average about 33 mpg whereas the Leon averaged just over 45 mpg.

The VAG 1.4 TSi from 2013 onwards in 140 and 150 PS versions is probably the best engine currently available for real world motoring. Try one before you spend your money.

Naturally Aspirated Engines - ifekas

In our household we have been driving cars with Turbo's since 1996 and would not buy a car without one. The total is currently 8 plus we have had 2 with superchargers as well. Petrols and diesels. Only problem we have had in those 23 years has been a vacuum sensor pipe that was too short and closed up when the engine moved slightly, sorted same day under warranty.

Like you I thought normally aspirated engines were old fashioned. But then the problem I came across was that the car I wanted (KIA Picanto automatic) is only available with the normally aspirated engine, for the time being anyway. Interestingly, in this particular car, the reviewers seem to prefer the normally aspirated four cylinder engine over the turbocharged TGDi particularly in terms of noise and refinement/vibration, probably because the TGDi is a three cylinder engine like many of the little turbocharged petrol engines. The other funny thing with the choice of engines is that the car with the normally aspirated engine doesn't need/have start stop but the TGDi does. Why?

In any event, the normally aspirated engine is fine. The auto Picanto also has a four speed automatic gearbox which people might say is old fashioned; but that seems fine too!

Like you I thought normally aspirated engines were old fashioned. But then the problem I came across was that the car I wanted (KIA Picanto automatic) is only available with the normally aspirated engine, for the time being anyway. Interestingly, in this particular car, the reviewers seem to prefer the normally aspirated four cylinder engine over the turbocharged TGDi particularly in terms of noise and refinement/vibration, probably because the TGDi is a three cylinder engine like many of the little turbocharged petrol engines. The other funny thing with the choice of engines is that the car with the normally aspirated engine doesn't need/have start stop but the TGDi does. Why?

In any event, the normally aspirated engine is fine. The auto Picanto also has a four speed automatic gearbox which people might say is old fashioned; but that seems fine too!

3 cyl engines only sound and feel out of balance at low rpm. At higher rpm they are smoother than a 4cyl.

My Mother in law was going to buy a Picanto auto but she noticed one in the showroom with a sunroof, which is a feature she really wanted. But kia, for some inexplicable reason, don't do an auto Picanto with the sunroof, you can only get it with the manual gearbox(???). Goodness knows why, but fortunately i was aware that the Hyundai i10, the Picanto's sister car, CAN be had with the sunroof AND the auto gearbox, so that is what she is getting.

Not sure about the stop/start, that does seem odd, especially given the Picanto/i10 auto is neither clean or particularly economical, so it could certainly use the help!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/03/2019 at 21:45

Naturally Aspirated Engines - edlithgow

Like you I thought normally aspirated engines were old fashioned. But then the problem

You say that like its a bad thing?

Naturally Aspirated Engines - edlithgow

Not really enough data.

23 years, 8 cars.

If I assume 2-at-a-time, they'd be trouble-free on average for 6 years per car, which is nice, but hardly immortality.

If the OP wanted to do without the advantages that highly stressed component provides, he would guarantee he'd never have that highly stressed component fail.

That would seem a pretty defendable decision to me.

After much deliberation and seems most of all golf on these forums recommend the new turbo petrols as they are more efficient and have less turbo lag.

So with these recommendations I am slightly swaying away from NA cars.

I have been over all the cars I like and found which best fits my situation and size.

I have narrowed it down to two cars:

Ford Fiesta ST (Mk7)
Mini Cooper S (2014-16)

I have driven the ST and found it to be very quick and I fitted in it.

Never driven a Cooper S although I had a 2012 Cooper D so the fit is fine.

What are your thoughts?

24 hours ago, you disliked all turbo engines and wanted a n/a car. You have £15k to spend, enough to get you into a 2015 Toyota GT86 (which also happens to be your favourite car) with around 30k miles. Am i missing something?

Now, 24 hours later, you like turbo cars and are looking at a Fiesta ST and Mini Cooper?

Even more weird (unless you happen to have driven the Fiesta within the last 24 hours), you disliked it yesterday morning at 10.39am. So i am wondering what happened between then and now to change your mind?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 06/03/2019 at 10:06

I have owned two turbo engines cars one was a Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost and other a Audi TT 1.8 TFSI

Both suffered from terrible turbo lag which put me off turbos.

Most people on these forums mentioned they are a lot better than they used to be with virtually no lag.

So rather than looking at just one car I’d rather set my mind on a few, that way if one came up at the right price.....

Two that I know I can fit in and fits all the other variables are an ST and Cooper S.

I have owned two turbo engines cars one was a Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost and other a Audi TT 1.8 TFSI

Both suffered from terrible turbo lag which put me off turbos.

Terrible turbo lag?, you obviously don't know the meaning of the term!. Try an early Saab turbo if you want to know what terrible lag actually feels like!.

I haven't driven a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost, but i have driven plenty of 1.8t Audi's and VW's (i'm talking about the old 20v versions with 150, 180 and 225bhp) and i didn't find them laggy at all (though coming from my experience working at a Saab dealer, my notion of turbo lag may be different than others!).

Don't really like the BMW Mini's myself and never have. But going by the motoring press reaction, the Fiesta ST is literally the best thing since sliced bread!. And, fortunately, the engine seems to be more reliable than the 1.0 ecoboost........!

Sorry for not being that old to own a Saab or daft enough to buy one.

But having owned 15 cars, 5 motorbikes and 6 quadbikes in 20 years and driven my fare share of Cars ranging from an Audi R8 to a Rover 214.

The best car I had out of all of them was a Toyota Yaris 1.5 T-Sport.

Virtually bullet proof and very nippy..... and yes an NA engine.

Naturally Aspirated Engines - John F

Now that the industry has embraced turbo- rather than super-charging and has mostly solved reliability issues, I think the NA engine will soon be extinct for general use. Even with the extra cost of adding a turbocharger or two, it is probably cheaper to build an engine half the size (and sometimes half the number of cylinders e.g. Audi RS6 V6 c.f. A8 W12) of its NA equivalent for the same power.

Sorry for not being that old to own a Saab or daft enough to buy one.

Daft indeed, who on earth would want a car which was distinctive, very safe (for the time), very practical, very fast (once you learned how and when the boost would arrive!) and with bucketloads of character?. You'd have to be mad.