BMW 3 Series E90 - Looking at buying now worried CbyC b'down - Babygotoo
Hi,

I have put a refundable deposit, unplanned, down on a 59 BMW 318 M sport 2.0l petrol.

49k miles full "extensive" service history, seems to be a local runaround.

I'm looking at replacing a 1.6 Astra and just fancied something a bit better as bored of Vauxhall's having had at least 5 previously, doing 25k year on motorways.

Read the car by car breakdown and completely scared off by the what's bad section, it went on forever.

Anything you can do put my mind at rest, or agree with the breakdown?

Thanks

BMW 3 Series E90 - Looking at buying now worried CbyC b'down - SLO76
I’d ask for your “refundable deposit” back. Older BMW’s are a total liability and this particular engine is bad for timing chain failure.

Never leave a deposit if you’re not prepared to lose it. Some sales staff will tell you your money is refundable when in 99% of times it isn’t. What would be the point of a deposit if it was refundable? It’s meant to hold you to the deal and cover any costs incurred if you do walk away. Never leave money on a car you’re unsure of.
Thanks, I think I am coming around tomtha way of thinking.

Am I wasting my time on all models of this age, BMW, Audi and Mercedes in this price range, approx 6k?
Thanks, I think I am coming around tomtha way of thinking. Am I wasting my time on all models of this age, BMW, Audi and Mercedes in this price range, approx 6k?

Yes. Live within your means and stick with mass produced conventional petrol powered family hatches preferably Japanese such as the Mazda 3, Honda Civic and any Ford Focus equipped with the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol.
BMW 3 Series E90 - Looking at buying now worried CbyC b'down - paul 1963

Wise words from Mr Slo yet again! that will have had a hard life imho, 6k will get you a nice civic, follkowed a 59 plate one today in white....looked wonderfull

just out of interest please let us know if you get your deposit back.

Edited by paul 1963 on 24/02/2019 at 19:18

Wise words from Mr Slo yet again! that will have had a hard life imho, 6k will get you a nice civic, follkowed a 59 plate one today in white....looked wonderfull

There were two of us at the time and repeatedly made sure we get it back, it was a £100 for the deposit. I'll let you know.

Yes, got my deposit back.

“Yes, got my deposit back.”

That’s good news and shows the dealer isn’t all bad. Reign in your ambitions a little and aim for something with a better reputation for reliability. Honda Accord is a good alternative to a 3 series. Enjoyable to drive and very robust yet a bit different too.
BMW 3 Series E90 - Looking at buying now worried CbyC b'down - SteveLee

If I wanted something a bit more interesting than an Astra but dependable - could do much worse than a Hyundai Velostar. If you want performance and reliability, the Civic Type R has got to be at the top of the list - if you can find a standard one.

BMW 3 Series E90 - Looking at buying now worried CbyC b'down - Eyan1
I had an e91 with the same engine. It was faultless for 8 years only problem I had was a snapped suspension coil.
Great motorway car, good refinement and handling. Engine wasn’t fast though. Did about 30 mpg .