Nissan Note - Would this MOT history put you off? - Brian Richings

I've been debating between a Nissan Note and a Honda Jazz. I generally prefer the appearance of the note but the MOT history might throw me off. The consistent advisories are concerning me.

MOT History:

Date Tested: 31 October 2017 - PASS

Advisories

• Front registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread cracked (6.3.1d)
  • Sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement all front (2.4.G.2)
  • exhaust system deteriorated & rear clamp missing
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • both rear coil springs corroded

Date Tested: 27 October 2017 - FAIL

Reasons for failure

• Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Advisories

• Front registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread cracked (6.3.1d)
  • Sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement all front (2.4.G.2)
  • exhaust system deteriorated & rear clamp missing
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • both front tyres on 2.5mm
  • both rear coil springs corroded

Date Tested: 12 May 2016 - PASS

Advisories

• n/s wiper split but clearing screen
  • Nearside Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced (1.7.5a)
  • Offside Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced (1.7.5a)
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • vehicles rear brakes have slight uneven application

Nissan Note - Would this MOT history put you off? - SLO76
The Jazz is generally the better car here. There’s little to worry about other than worn clutches (more down to the age of the typical owner) and paint damage. With big miles first gen cars can see worn gearbox bearings and noisy thrust bearings.

The first gen Note was a good little car and pretty reliable but the smoother looking second gen isn’t as well built or as reliable. I’d take a Mk II Jazz over one of these without a thought but I’d also open the search to include others especially if this purchase is on a limited budget.

The advisories are all pretty minor and likely ignored by an owner who simply wants transport and doesn’t really care about perfection. As long as it’s solid and it’s been serviced every year using the correct oil I’d be quite happy.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/02/2019 at 23:30

Nissan Note - Would this MOT history put you off? - Andrew-T

The advisories seem fairly mild, and probably due to an overzealous tester. But I am puzzled by the irregular dates of the tests - and another is 3 months overdue. What would that find? Make sure the seller gets a Pass before you consider buying.