Diesel cars - 1jack

I have been looking at the reviews on this site for my next car and have noticed that most of the bad points on cars seem to be related to diesel cars.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. Is it just a coincidence that the cars I happened to view had these issues, or is this the general rule?

Diesel cars - SLO76
Modern diesels are over-complex and strangled by emissions regulations which make them in general a total liability once they reach 5yrs old and beyond. Some are better than others but as a rule I’d avoid diesels unless you’re buying new or nearly new and you do plenty of distance.
Diesel cars - barney100

I have 2 diesel cars and have had no engine problems, one is 7 years old, the other 11 years old with 120k on the clock. I've had several diesels in the past with very little in the way of engine problems.

Diesel cars - andrew bairsto

But at that age they are not new.

Diesel cars - Avant

You haven't told us anything about what you are looking for, so to avoid a purely academic discussion (which has been had many times on here), please let us know your needs - new or used, budget, size and type of car etc.

Diesel cars - Andrew-T

I think when SLO mentions 'Modern diesels' he means those less than about 10 years old, which will have a DPF (particle filter) with all its associated gubbins. Before that diesels were simpler and more reliable, but a bit dirtier, especially if they weren't maintained properly.

Diesel cars - SLO76

I think when SLO mentions 'Modern diesels' he means those less than about 10 years old, which will have a DPF (particle filter) with all its associated gubbins. Before that diesels were simpler and more reliable, but a bit dirtier, especially if they weren't maintained properly.

Yup. I remember back to being a young salesman in the 90’s and diesels were very sought after used as they had an image of indestructibility. Nissan Bluebird 2.0d, Primera 2.0d, Toyota Carina 2.0d, Ford Sierra 2.3d, Granada 2.5d, VW Passat 1.6/1.9 TD, Audi 80 1.6/1.9 TD, Cavalier 1.7 TD, any Peugeot diesel etc etc all would easily run past 250k without major failure. Slow but they’d sit all day at 70-80mph and you had no looming mechanical issues to worry about unlike today’s DPF, DMF, Multi-vane, Multi-Turbo, EGR equipped high pressure diesels. Yes they’re faster and more efficient but most will leave you with a crippling bill or two over their lifespan and will almost certainly be written-off by a major mechanical repair well before the body has reached the end of its life.
Diesel cars - sajid

i got a honda civic 2,2 59 reg, i did a bit of research before choosing a deisel civic, one was i do roughly 4500 miles per year, i chose the civic due to having no dpf, so good for local journeys, and the other advantage is they pretty reliable, only the clutch to worry about.

i used to have a mk 1 petrol jazz 57 reg se and when driving the civic the jazz with its idsi engine has a similar torquey engine, so wasnt that much difference in driving,

the civic come on it own when on the motorway due to its turbocharger and also having had the civic now going to 5 years in ownership the only bits being replaced are the wear and tear items.

Clutch is going strong :)

Diesel cars - Engineer Andy

Yup. I remember back to being a young salesman in the 90’s and diesels were very sought after used as they had an image of indestructibility. Nissan Bluebird 2.0d, Primera 2.0d, Toyota Carina 2.0d, Ford Sierra 2.3d, Granada 2.5d, VW Passat 1.6/1.9 TD, Audi 80 1.6/1.9 TD, Cavalier 1.7 TD, any Peugeot diesel etc etc all would easily run past 250k without major failure. Slow but they’d sit all day at 70-80mph and you had no looming mechanical issues to worry about unlike today’s DPF, DMF, Multi-vane, Multi-Turbo, EGR equipped high pressure diesels. Yes they’re faster and more efficient but most will leave you with a crippling bill or two over their lifespan and will almost certainly be written-off by a major mechanical repair well before the body has reached the end of its life.

I remember being driven in a Pug 406 minicab (in about 2007) that had about 450k on the clock. The driver said they had owned it since new and never had any problems. My former driving instructor replaced his aged 205 1.9D initially with a SEAT Arosa in the mid-late 90s, didn't like that and bought another 205 diesel.

Diesel cars - Gibbo_Wirral

I've just gone back to an older Pug with the old 2L 90bhp engine in it.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 08/02/2019 at 12:29

Diesel cars - andrew bairsto

It my be ok in the UK for now but in the mainland of europe it will be barred from many town centres and also suffer a road tax premium.

Diesel cars - 1jack

Looking for a 7 seater, not too old, 2010 on, 6K tops so probably a Zafira or Citroen C4, although I am dubious about French cars.

Thanks very much.

Diesel cars - Big John

2010 on means just about any diesel will have a DPF (there might be the odd Kia early 2010 that didn't)

Zafira diesel of that era was fitted with one of the worst DPF implementations - avoid avoid avoid

As mentioned above as far as I know the Honda 2.2 diesel was never fitted with a DPF but had been discontinued before the DPF became compulsory in 2010 - this was a great engine though. FRV 6 seater?

To be honest DPF's are reliable these days but early implementations were not great in many cars.

If you want a Zafira there were some old model run out petrol cars circa 2014 that were very cheap new at some dealers so probably cheap second hand. I have a friend who bought one new 2014 for £10k and it has been faultless.

Be prepared to be banned from some city centres soon though if you buy and old diesel and the MOT is harder to pass as of May 20th 2018.

Edited by Big John on 10/02/2019 at 23:01

Diesel cars - gordonbennet

It will be interesting to see how reliable the adblu systems prove on the latest Diesels, some lorries haven't had an easy time with these things, and usually lorry systems are well proved before they hit the market, they have to be.

Also some DPF exhausts have proved to be scandalous prices on the lorries when they need changing, ie one i know of was £11k which the operator managed to get discounted to £8k, one wonders how much it will cost to supply and fit a new exhaust and adblu system to euro 6 cars when the time comes.

Diesel cars - Theophilus

Looking for a 7 seater, not too old, 2010 on, 6K tops so probably a Zafira or Citroen C4, although I am dubious about French cars.

You might add a Toyota Verso to your short-list. Reliable and well-made, but not a lot of leg room in 3rd row seats if you need to accommodate lanky teenagers.

Diesel cars - SLO76

Thanks very much.

Wouldn’t buy a diesel at this money and I certainly wouldn’t recommend a Fiat engined Zafira diesel or a 1.6 HDi Citroen. Both are very fragile and prone to plenty of expensive woe. On your budget stick with petrol, preferably a Toyota Verso, Ford C-Max 1.6 or Mazda 5, a petrol 1.6 Zafira is ok too if a bit slow. The 1.8 VVT isn’t as robust and quite greedy. If you absolutely must have a diesel then the 2.0 D4D Verso or a Zafira with the 1.7 Isuzu motor are the best options. Be wary of diesels though, few will save you any money over the longterm.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/02/2019 at 10:25

Diesel cars - 1jack

Thank you all for that great advice, I think I will stick with petrol after that.

I shall carry on looking now, which I think is the best thing about buying a car, and I can add the Verso to my search.

Cheers all.