One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - Leif
It took me four hours to get home last night including three hours stationary due to two crashed lorries when I was 1km from home. When we got going the car was barely able to climb the hill. I saw a high end car stuck, front wheel drive no doubt.

We had 4-6” of snow last night, roads might be unusable. I see the BBC are saying a 4 by 4 offers better traction than a normal car. Not so, if it has normal tyres, and the car has winter tyres, the latter is better. I need to get to a hockey game today, not sure if I should risk it.
One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - MikeM100

Risk vs benefit I suppose ?

I heard on the BBC news that the M3 was particularly badly affected by the snow & ice.

They reported that emergency rescue vehicles had difficulty in recovering vehicles. Could this be anything to do with the 'smart motorway' conversion that removes the hard shoulder that such vehicles would normally use I wonder ?

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - Bolt

I heard on the BBC news that the M3 was particularly badly affected by the snow & ice.

They reported that emergency rescue vehicles had difficulty in recovering vehicles. Could this be anything to do with the 'smart motorway' conversion that removes the hard shoulder that such vehicles would normally use I wonder ?

A clip of an ambulance on the M3 didn't seem to be having any difficulty getting through past traffic, everything else was either at a standstill or spinning the wheels, probably ambulance driver skill

Though we don't get enough snow for anyone to get used to driving in. from what I've seen on local roads people seem to have difficulty stopping the wheels from spinning, not only that people seem to try and drive as if its dry not frozen/slippery

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - Engineer Andy

A clip of an ambulance on the M3 didn't seem to be having any difficulty getting through past traffic, everything else was either at a standstill or spinning the wheels, probably ambulance driver skill

Though we don't get enough snow for anyone to get used to driving in. from what I've seen on local roads people seem to have difficulty stopping the wheels from spinning, not only that people seem to try and drive as if its dry not frozen/slippery

I wonder if emergency vehicles have their tyres changed over to winter tyres or if they use all-season tyres?

As regards so-called 'smart' motorways, I still think in such conditions, the hard shoulder should always remain one so access for the likely higher-than-average number of accidents is easier, clearing the roads quicker and reducing the number of knock-on problems, inclusding more accidents.

2-3 years ago I and hundreds of other cars had to wait 2+ hours whilst an accident was attended to on the A30 in Devon because the emergency services had no hard shoulder to use to get there, having to weave in between 10-15 miles worth of vehicles packed bumped to bumper.

Why is common sense lacking in this country so much these days? We seem to be good at fixing problems, but far better in inventing them in the first place, almost as if some sections of society are giving themselves work to keep them in a job or power over others. Well, either that, or endemic incomepetence ingrained over generations.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - SteveLee

The more important question is why are we driving on our hard shoulders? We've had decades of the three globalist parties mass importing people into the country - increasing the population way beyond the level a which our infrastructure can cope. The worst offender was of course Labour who cancelled the massive road-building program instigated by the Tories in 1997 and then went on to import over 7 million people.

If you import people you have more workers increasing total GDP, bringing wages down and paying tax, which helps pay for the aging population, hence the reason why Labour liked them so much. It’s a pyramid scheme of course as when they age, we’ll need to bring even more people. It yes, services including roads are overused.
One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - craig-pd130

The more important question is why are we driving on our hard shoulders? We've had decades of the three globalist parties mass importing people into the country - increasing the population way beyond the level a which our infrastructure can cope.

Would that be parts of our infrastructure such as our health and care systems, and our food industry which is heavily reliant on those who moved here permanently, and on migrant workers in order to continue? You'll be telling me next that they're depriving British people of jobs.

The more important question is why are we driving on our hard shoulders? We've had decades of the three globalist parties mass importing people into the country - increasing the population way beyond the level a which our infrastructure can cope.

Would that be parts of our infrastructure such as our health and care systems, and our food industry which is heavily reliant on those who moved here permanently, and on migrant workers in order to continue? You'll be telling me next that they're depriving British people of jobs.

Health service workers tend to come from Africa, where they had an expensive training, and we snaffle them. They don’t deprive British people of jobs, but immigrants do help keep wages down, hence they are liked by companies. Temporary visas for crop picking are not an issue.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - straggler

I have to say that you (and one or two others) blaming immigration for the problems on our roads is the sort of thing that Nigel Farage would resort to, should he be particularly desperate for a bit of publicity.

Keep it gammon!

Why is common sense lacking in this country so much these days

Not so sure common sense is the problem, people are in so much of a rush and don't give time to what should be done, and just want to get from A-B as quickly as possible.

which means no time to scrape off the frost or snow from the windows and very little time to check junctions or want to stop at traffic lights.

which is why possibly there is so much tailgating, even in traffic jams drivers have to kiss the rear end of the car in front, hoping they will get out the way for them, so time is against people, but they wont put themselves out to make time?

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - kiss (keep it simple)

It's not entirely the fault of the hapless motorist or the car manufacturers. We usually get the "wrong type of snow". A few years ago we were on a ski chalet holiday in France. The previous week they had had a moderately heavy, wet snowfall. The host said it was chaos, all the winter tyres were useless and the village turned into a skating rink. The only answer was to use chains. I have driven many times in the Alps and never yet needed chains, the cold dry snow gives reasonably good grip on summer tyres if you are sensible. However, driving up to the higher resorts, chains are often obligatory.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - Andrew-T

It's easy for all us regular (or not so regular) drivers to criticise when we see other vehicles off the road, or 'muppets' driving foolishly. In a country like this, which may get snow for one week in the year (or none), driving on snow is always a new experience.

In my youth I spent four winters in Canada. Even there, where every winter usually has at least three months or more of snow, it took about a week for people to readjust to the conditions. A few sights stick in my mind: a six-axle juggernaut arriving at a Stop sign with all wheels locked, and city buses stopping near the top of the camber, then sliding down it to pick up passengers. Driving a bus must have been an art in itself.

Drivers here expect their fantastic cars to stick to polished surfaces. Physics doesn't allow it.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - Senexdriver
We drove home yesterday from a short break in Pembrokeshire. We live south of Reading, under the M4, so the route was very simple, picking up the end of the M4 in South Wales and following it along to Reading.

The first hour or so was very straightforward as there had been only a little snow overnight and the almost deserted roads were clear. The M4 was much the same at its westernmost extremities but as we crossed the Severn bridge into England the snow began to build and as we got into Wiltshire we came up against the heavy snowfall that had been forecast. The carriageway was largely clear, but in some sections lane 3 was snowbound. Traffic was moving nevertheless and subject to variable speed limits, but we kept moving.

The problem was that the cars were evidently not moving fast enough for the HGVs as we were tailgated and overtaken by a succession of them. Once it became clear that these guys weren’t interested in joining the steady flow of traffic, I and many others stayed in lane 1 and let them blunder along. We watched them tailgate and overtake everything in their path. It was quite intimidating and after 50 years’ experience on the roads, I don’t usually scare easily. Between groups of HGVs the cars were nicely spaced and moving at much the same speed, but then another group would catch up and barrel through.

I appreciate that HGV drivers are subject to time pressures, but driving like that in slush and snow was not displaying common sense - or for that matter, courtesy - as I understand those concepts.

I think the issue with HGV drivers is that their tachographs/speedos are more accurate than in cars and thus more likely do a 'true' (say) 50mph on a reduced speed limit when we're doing an indicated 50, when in relality we are probably going 46-47mph. Time is money (and rest periods) to them.

It is more difficult staying out of their way nowadays though, especially when the weather's bad. No way can they stop in time should they need to do an emergency stop if they're tailgating - that's unforgiveable in such conditions.

It wasn’t so much to do with the accuracy or otherwise of everybody’s speedos. At one point the speed limit was restricted to 60, but conditions were too dangerous for that and we were all keeping to about 40, apart from one or two more reckless individuals and most of the HGVs. It was more that in such treacherous conditions we all trust each other not to spin off and collide with others, for example. Accordingly, it makes sense to maintain the speed that everybody is observing and keep a safe distance in case braking is necessary. With a 38 tonner filling your rear view mirror, exercising the necessary level of restraint is harder.

We live very close to the M3. Hearing that 3 lorries jack-knifed and blocked part of the southbound carriageway near us last night for several hours makes me wonder how those HGV drivers were proceeding, given what we had experienced earlier on the M4. I have no grudge against HGV drivers, by the way; I have always thought of them as the knights of the road, but yesterday’s events make me wonder.
One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - Ethan Edwards

www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/snowfl...9

Given the national state of panic over snow, I guess the link is pretty accurate.

I bet that having a big HGV looming in your mirrors could, in some circumstances, lead to an accident in itself. I can just imagine the fear on some car drivers' faces, like some bully's trying to shove you out of their way. Not good generally, but especially when conditions are poor.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - badbusdriver
It wasn’t so much to do with the accuracy or otherwise of everybody’s speedos. At one point the speed limit was restricted to 60, but conditions were too dangerous for that and we were all keeping to about 40, apart from one or two more reckless individuals and most of the HGVs. It was more that in such treacherous conditions we all trust each other not to spin off and collide with others, for example. Accordingly, it makes sense to maintain the speed that everybody is observing and keep a safe distance in case braking is necessary. With a 38 tonner filling your rear view mirror, exercising the necessary level of restraint is harder. We live very close to the M3. Hearing that 3 lorries jack-knifed and blocked part of the southbound carriageway near us last night for several hours makes me wonder how those HGV drivers were proceeding, given what we had experienced earlier on the M4. I have no grudge against HGV drivers, by the way; I have always thought of them as the knights of the road, but yesterday’s events make me wonder.

As an ex bus driver, there are one or two things i feel it worth pointing out. As has been said, most cars have very wide low profile tyres. These offer very little grip in snowy conditions and makes them very skittish indeed. An HGV (or bus) has much greater weight pushing down through the snow. What this means is that in conditions where cars feel very skittish and the drivers, are being very cautious, an HGV driver (assuming there isn't ice under the snow) may well have no less control or grip than were the roads just very wet (i'm thinking of wet slushy snow as one example). Now i am not trying to make excuses for bad driving, especially tailgating, but unless you are aware of how a big truck feels and behaves in such conditions, apart from the tailgating aspect, you can't really accuse them of being reckless. There were many, many occasions, as a bus driver during wintery conditions, i was literally pulling my hair out because of how slow most cars were going, when as far as i was concerned, i had no less grip than on a rainy day. And the kind of roads i'd be on were more often than not, single carriageways, so getting past was not as easy as a motorway or dual carriageway.

I understand everything you say. My point is that in those conditions yesterday we were all dependent on one another to get through safely, so the sensible approach would have been to move along at the same speed, maintaining a safe distance between us. Yes, those with deadlines would have been delayed, but these were exceptional conditions for the UK and to arrive late on just one day would surely not have mattered in the circumstances.
The reason I was stuck for three hours was due to two lorries crashing. The M3 was blocked due to crashed lorries. Now I know that lorry drivers are usually good, but there are some muppets among them, and I reckon they are the problem.
One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - gordonbennet
The reason I was stuck for three hours was due to two lorries crashing. The M3 was blocked due to crashed lorries. Now I know that lorry drivers are usually good, but there are some muppets among them, and I reckon they are the problem.

There more muppets than there should be out there now, sadly, at the wheel of lorries.

The above talk of intimidation/bullying and the now regular stupid tailgating we see every day reflects this.

The problem with modern lorries is that they have just as much, and more electronic stability/traction aids than most cars, and the number of drivers who learned on lorries before all this guff was fitted are dwindling, so those who know just how little grip there really is under a lorry's tyres in slippery conditions are also diminishing in number.

eg, 12 speed box and in 11th quite easy to find TC/ASR light flashing up under acceleration in just damp conditions when empty (without the electronic an artic tractor would soon be slewing sideways if no action taken) on newish but fully bedded in tyres too, but tyres that last up to 250k kms are going to be on the hard side...remember they start off with around 18mm of tread and on anything other than steer axle will usually be recut another 6mm.

As with cars, the art of feeling what is happening under the tyres, feel for the road, is being untaught and unlearned.

This is a difficult situation, some people out in these conditions are a menace because they are terrified and drive ridiculously slowly, their cars ill prepared for such conditions and their owners/drivers ignorant as to why their vehicle shod on the most ridiculous tyres imaginable might as well be driven on the rims.

Things will only get worse, as more people arrive in the country, our infrastructure already inadequate 15 years ago, the laughable if it wasn't so tragic misnamed smart motorway sticking plaster is what they now consider road planning, how did we end up with such fools mismanaging this country for so many decades.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/02/2019 at 07:25

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - Avant

I hope you're getting back to normal now, Leif and any others who live in that area. WE were lucky in Dorset - only a inch or two and it didn't settle on the roads while it snowed as the temperwture was above freezing.

A few years ago now Basingstoke was cut off by snow when Berkshire, where we lived, was not nearly so bad. No idea why Basingstoke should cop it worse - punishment perhaps for being ugly and for overwhelming Old Basing.

Who you calling ugly? ;)
One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - barney100

Basingstoke is in a hollow, perhaps we have a micro climate here and we have had a few heavy snow falls grinding us to a halt over the years. Great place to live by the way and as pretty as any other equivalently sized town.

Basingstoke is in a hollow, perhaps we have a micro climate here and we have had a few heavy snow falls grinding us to a halt over the years. Great place to live by the way and as pretty as any other equivalently sized town.

Yes, it’s not a bad place, and the people are nice. Drivers are polite. Countryside is pleasant.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - FoxyJukebox

The reason for this idiotic snow chaos is simply that there are so many more vehicles these days all wanting to use the roads at the same time too!--simple as that.

I remember in 1981-leaving the centre of London at 23.00 hrs -heading for Hertfordshire in an absolute and utter blizzard with 5 inches of snow already freshly dumped on the A1. There were few other night time drivers around-and my Mini Metro ploughed through it all and I arrived home no more than a few minutes later than usual.

Next morning-Naturally enough--the A1 was blocked and at a complete standstill for the entire day when the morning rush began.

In a similar vein, when I drove a mid 90s Micra and drove through the Jan 2003 snow storm, my car (shod on summer tyres) had very little in the way of problems, even going up and down two very steep hills on the way home from work.

This difference between my car's relatively skinny tyres (coupled with on 54bhp available) and many others' wide, low profile tyres and 3x or more power was blindly obvious - those cars and drivers just could cope with the conditions. I only took 90 mins to get home (normal journey time 25-30mins) because the roads on those hills was jammed up due to those same cars and vans, lorries and an ambulance getting stuck.

Powerful cars + wide, low profile summer tyres + little to no driving proficiency on snow and ice + ego = recipe for disaster.

Other lower powered cars on sensible tyres driven equally sensibly seemed to do just as well as I did. No driving aids (mine didn't even have ABS, or power steering [not that I needed it, especially that day]) at all. I think that a lot of the modern driving aids have meant that less and less people learn decent car craft, and when these aids fail or, in some weather, have no positive effect, quickly get into severe difficulties.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - gordonbennet

The problem with driving aids such as traction control/ASR and others is knowing when to (if you can) turn the things off, and when to switch them back on again.

Weight transfer is another ting that has be long learned, up until recently when another 4x4 has turned up, there were only two people who could get out of our road when it snowed heavily, myself on either winter tyres or since returning to proper 4x4's (not going to work is not an option), or the chap up the road who used to reverse his brilliant little Pug 106 up the hill, thereby making it a like a properly weighted rwd for the job.

In a similar vein, when I drove a mid 90s Micra and drove through the Jan 2003 snow storm, my car (shod on summer tyres) had very little in the way of problems, even going up and down two very steep hills on the way home from work.

This difference between my car's relatively skinny tyres (coupled with on 54bhp available) and many others' wide, low profile tyres and 3x or more power was blindly obvious - those cars and drivers just could cope with the conditions. I only took 90 mins to get home (normal journey time 25-30mins) because the roads on those hills was jammed up due to those same cars and vans, lorries and an ambulance getting stuck.

Powerful cars + wide, low profile summer tyres + little to no driving proficiency on snow and ice + ego = recipe for disaster.

Other lower powered cars on sensible tyres driven equally sensibly seemed to do just as well as I did. No driving aids (mine didn't even have ABS, or power steering [not that I needed it, especially that day]) at all. I think that a lot of the modern driving aids have meant that less and less people learn decent car craft, and when these aids fail or, in some weather, have no positive effect, quickly get into severe difficulties.

I had a 1996 2.0 Rover tourer sport with low profiles and got through snow 4" deep plus without any problems, so I have doubts the tyres make a lot of difference, we are talking frozen stuff here where any tyre will struggle even with very deep tread

the weight of the car and front wheel drive-4 wheel drive will make more of a difference than tyre width and usually rear wheel drives have the most trouble getting through snow no matter what tyres they use...

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - daveyjp
Nothing new in what I saw last week.

In 1993 it took me 8 hours to do 20 miles. It actually took 7.5 for the first 5 and an hour to do 15.

Reason? The logistics managers at a local factory decided it was quite OK to continue as normal and let their 40 tonne HGVs leave the depot. One was stuck on a roundabout and that created gridlock.
Nothing new in what I saw last week. In 1993 it took me 8 hours to do 20 miles. It actually took 7.5 for the first 5 and an hour to do 15. Reason? The logistics managers at a local factory decided it was quite OK to continue as normal and let their 40 tonne HGVs leave the depot. One was stuck on a roundabout and that created gridlock.

Indeed - back in 2003, I would've been able to make it home in about 45-50 mins had others not stopped on the hills in front of me, and that included 10 mins just to clear loads of snow off and around my car.

Thinking back, as many here may recall, that weather 'event' suddenly went from a nice day to a blizzard for about 2 hours (at around 1-3pm), leading to a good proportion of workers leaving early at around 4pm. When I left work at my usual time (5.30pm), I saw some colleagues returning to the office because they couldn't get going or even out of the vicinity of the office, due to other vehicles (as well as some of theirs) that had got stuck.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - coopshere
This current bout of bad weather had been predicted and well covered via the press, Tv and radio. The day before it landed we were inundated with warnings of how bad it was going to be. Why can’t people heed the warnings and not travel. Many reports of the people stuck in the jams suggested that most weren’t there because of work or emergency so I have no sympathy for such muppets.
One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - John F

'One snowflake.....' Nonsense. It was an abnormally heavy localised blizzard which would have temporarily closed any hilly road.

'..and the country grinds to a halt' No it didn't. Just a few hundred people in the far south of Great Britain were inconvenienced for a short time - prolonged mainly by HGVs because snow chains weren't available.

'One snowflake.....' Nonsense. It was an abnormally heavy localised blizzard which would have temporarily closed any hilly road.

'..and the country grinds to a halt' No it didn't. Just a few hundred people in the far south of Great Britain were inconvenienced for a short time - prolonged mainly by HGVs because snow chains weren't available.

You might wish to learn about irony and hyperbole. And perhaps a little anger management therapy could be thrown in for good measure. And by the way, it was not hundreds of people who were inconvenienced, more like a million, and snow chains would have caused severe damage to the roads. Otherwise you made some valuable suggestions.

<< You might wish to learn about irony and hyperbole. And perhaps a little anger management therapy could be thrown in for good measure. >>

Sorry, Leif, I still wonder why John-F makes your hackles rise so easily. I can't see any evidence of him being angry here; but maybe you could try something alkaline to neutralise the dilute vitriol you are responding with?

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - John F

Sorry, Leif, I still wonder why John-F makes your hackles rise so easily. I can't see any evidence of him being angry here; but maybe you could try something alkaline to neutralise the dilute vitriol you are responding with?

Sadly, it's in character. I think the antipathy might date from a post about ten years ago when I corrected HJ's erroneous assertion in the national press that coasting doesn't save fuel and attempted to enlighten him concerning gravity.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=86509

About half-way through the 100plus contributions to the debate he became abusive and Avant issued a warning and from then on he was merely condescending, e.g. 'dear boy' to a poster.

Why can’t people heed the warnings and not travel. .

Perhaps because many of us expect to find all our daily requirements on the shelves when we finally decide to go out for them. Including the daily paper, postal deliveries - not to mention everything we have ordered from Amazon etc.

Agreed that as many schools close very readily after a bit of snow, the rush hour should be less congested. (I can assure you all that it took quite a lot of snow to close my primary school back in the 40s. But these days the schools close because the staff can't get there, not the kids). :-(

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - corax

(I can assure you all that it took quite a lot of snow to close my primary school back in the 40s. But these days the schools close because the staff can't get there, not the kids). :-(

Wow Andrew-T, you're as old as the hills :-)

(I can assure you all that it took quite a lot of snow to close my primary school back in the 40s. But these days the schools close because the staff can't get there, not the kids). :-(

Wow Andrew-T, you're as old as the hills :-)

They would be South Welsh hills. I distinctly remember the famous 1947/48 snow, which was dustbin-height (not the ubiquitous wheelie-bin, the metal kind about two feet high), also the frost pushing the metal tops off the small milk-bottles kids got at school break. A mate of mine at Uni grew up in Glossop, where the drifts made them climb out of upper-floor windows.

Why can’t people heed the warnings and not travel. .

Perhaps because many of us expect to find all our daily requirements on the shelves when we finally decide to go out for them. Including the daily paper, postal deliveries - not to mention everything we have ordered from Amazon etc.

Agreed that as many schools close very readily after a bit of snow, the rush hour should be less congested. (I can assure you all that it took quite a lot of snow to close my primary school back in the 40s. But these days the schools close because the staff can't get there, not the kids). :-(

IMHO many schools close at the merest hint of snow. I can understand it if the region gets a lot of snow, but really...my area of Hertfordshire rarely gets much snow (the 2003 storm was the worst I saw in 30 years) and yet schools close 9/10 times snow arrives. Not every teacher lives 50-100 miles away.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - Bromptonaut

IMHO many schools close at the merest hint of snow. I can understand it if the region gets a lot of snow, but really...my area of Hertfordshire rarely gets much snow (the 2003 storm was the worst I saw in 30 years) and yet schools close 9/10 times snow arrives. Not every teacher lives 50-100 miles away.

There are a multitude of reasons why schools close. Somebody upthread mentioned the 40s. As late as the sixties most of my teachers lived close by, either a walk or a bus ride.

The local comp my kids attended is in our village. About 25% of the roll live here as do a handful of staff. Others come in from 20 to 50 miles away. The 75% of kids not in village are mostly bussed in along roads that don't get ploughed or gritted. The buses have to manoeuvre on the school forecourt which they cannot do at an acceptable level of safety if it's not been cleared of snow/ice/slush. If the possible consequence of an incident is death or life changing injury then probability of one has to be very low. While there's snow and ice on the forecourt it's too high. Furthermore the bus companies insurers will have a view on which on road risks are acceptable. OK, it's probable that if one goes sideways into a ditch everyone will walk away. OTOH there could be a lot of minor injuries from glass. Broken bones count as serious injury - arms tend to cop it in bus accidents.

There are a multitude of reasons why schools close. Somebody upthread mentioned the 40s. As late as the sixties most of my teachers lived close by, either a walk or a bus ride.

The local comp my kids attended is in our village. About 25% of the roll live here as do a handful of staff. Others come in from 20 to 50 miles away. The 75% of kids not in village are mostly bussed in along roads that don't get ploughed or gritted. The buses have to manoeuvre on the school forecourt which they cannot do at an acceptable level of safety if it's not been cleared of snow/ice/slush. If the possible consequence of an incident is death or life changing injury then probability of one has to be very low. While there's snow and ice on the forecourt it's too high. Furthermore the bus companies insurers will have a view on which on road risks are acceptable. OK, it's probable that if one goes sideways into a ditch everyone will walk away. OTOH there could be a lot of minor injuries from glass. Broken bones count as serious injury - arms tend to cop it in bus accidents.

Funny how almost every other country (and their peoples) seem to cope just fine with the same, or in many cases, a LOT more snow and ice than we do. Not all teachers live 50 miles away in remote rural villages, I would go as far to say that the vast majority don't.

The problem we have is that too many schools are WAY too risk averse these days and would rather close than take sensible measures, like salting the car parks and paths into the school, or take measures to ensure buses can easily get in/out without needing to make difficult maneuvres. Risks should be managed, not removed by just avoiding any in the first place. That, IMHO, is what teaches our young people the wrong message on life. I don't recall decades ago A&Es being awash with kids and teachers when it snowed (often far more often and heavier).

I was bussed to school in the 1980s and 90s and the ONLY times we were ever delayed (a reasonably rural route, one I've mentioned earlier and on another thread that I used subsequently for work) by more than 10 minutes was:

• The bus broke down (nothing to do with the weather) - it was an old bus;
  • The 1987 October storm, when a big tree blocked the road. The bus turned around and go there via another route.

The only time school was cancelled was when the boiler broke down. Once and for one day (wasn't snowing, just very cold). I also remember in 6th form coming back from a school field trip abroad in December to -10degC snowy weather. Again, no buses cancelled.

It's all about getting the right balance on risk and preparation - I think schools in particular regular get this wrong for the reasons I've stated. In the last year or two, local schools closed for a day or two and yet the entire region had only an inch of snow each time. Teachers would have to be coming from WAY up north to have been affected, and if they were, then they shouldn't be teaching there - that would be too far. I think you're applying an absolute worst case scenario to all schools, when, to me, that is patently not so.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - kiss (keep it simple)

I think there are several reasons why snow causes chaos here.

1. Our snow is usually wetter than that which usually falls in continental Europe. Once it's compacted it is much more slippery.

2. People aren't experienced on snow so accidents and road blocks are more common.

3. Many countries that encounter snow have rules about when winter tyres must be used.

4. Occasionally HGV's are banned abroad on some roads during severe weather.

5. Our roads are very congested compared to the 60's when I were a lad.

Wrong type of snow, eh? That list sounds more like excuses (and not very good ones at that) to me. In the late 1980s and early 90s, traffic levels were reasonably similar to those today, and we didn't have that much of a problem outside of areas that actually DO have regaulr and heavy snowfall up north, and even then, most of the time, people still managed far better than today.

A lot of the problems we now face only seemed to start occuring on a big scale from the mid 1990s onwards. I wonder what coincided with that time?

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - madf

tinyurl.com/y9sreeen shows the trend of cars on the road in UK.. Doubled since 1980.

England has one of the highest population density per sq KM in Europe... And built very few new roads in the past 20 years. So sudden snowfalls are going to be likely to cause issues.

It's hardly rocket science. Add chronic underinvestment in traffic management...

England has one of the highest population density per sq KM in Europe... And built very few new roads in the past 20 years. So sudden snowfalls are going to be likely to cause issues. It's hardly rocket science. Add chronic underinvestment in traffic management...

The other thing that is not 'rocket science' is that because we can't do much about the weather, it may be commonsense to think that just because we live in a technological society, our roads may not be officially cleared almost instantly, so our cars may be unable to take us anywhere as they usually do. Sometimes gratification must be delayed for a while, for everyone's safety.

Unless you are an emergency driver or an AA patrolman, of course.

And road congestion will never improve unless a smaller proportion of drivers take to the roads - the population is growing percentage-wise faster than the available road space.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - alan1302

Wrong type of snow, eh? That list sounds more like excuses (and not very good ones at that) to me. In the late 1980s and early 90s, traffic levels were reasonably similar to those today, and we didn't have that much of a problem outside of areas that actually DO have regaulr and heavy snowfall up north, and even then, most of the time, people still managed far better than today.

A lot of the problems we now face only seemed to start occuring on a big scale from the mid 1990s onwards. I wonder what coincided with that time?

We seem to have problems like this one or two days each year - same as it's always been for my 39 years.

There is a change with schools as people do commute a lot further now and a school has to ensure all the teachers turn up. And with pupils coming further afield than they used to it's often easier to close for the day than try and open fully with missing staff members.

"A lot of the problems we now face only seemed to start occuring on a big scale from the mid 1990s onwards. I wonder what coincided with that time?"

The onset of paranoia?

"A lot of the problems we now face only seemed to start occuring on a big scale from the mid 1990s onwards. I wonder what coincided with that time?"

The onset of paranoia?

Nope - the very risk averse culture of over-the-top health and safety in certain elements of the public sector, especially schools and the Police, where seemingly doing nothing is far better than taking a reasonable view about risks and making a sensible decision.

Hence why at the first sign of snow, schools get closed and Police don't try and intervene (their job, BTW) to save people's lives because it might be 'dangerous'. That's why I said there needs to be risk management, not removing them altogether.

I think its also why we now churn out, ironically, so many entitled snowflake young people from our education system - they've never taken a risk, never tried and failed and learned a valuable lesson for adulthood or did something better as a result.

Not paranoia, just experience of events in the real world.

You're right. It's not paranoia. It's just a load of cliches.

The onset of paranoia?

Nope - the very risk averse culture of over-the-top health and safety in certain elements of the public sector, especially schools and the Police, where seemingly doing nothing is far better than taking a reasonable view about risks and making a sensible decision.

Hence why at the first sign of snow, schools get closed and Police don't try and intervene (their job, BTW) to save people's lives because it might be 'dangerous'. That's why I said there needs to be risk management, not removing them altogether.

I think its also why we now churn out, ironically, so many entitled snowflake young people from our education system - they've never taken a risk, never tried and failed and learned a valuable lesson for adulthood or did something better as a result.

Not paranoia, just experience of events in the real world.

As the other person said, paranoia, a short summary of your post.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - Hugh Watt

Risks should be managed, not removed by just avoiding any in the first place. That, IMHO, is what teaches our young people the wrong message on life.

Well put, I think.

I’m with Engineer Andy on this one. To say that the kids welfare is at risk is insufficient reason. Their welfare is always at risk. As Andy says, it’s about assessing and managing the risk. It sounds like the person in charge is unwilling to use common sense. A head teacher should talk with deputy heads, and other management, and reach a consensus based on information available. As regards last Friday, I don’t recall warnings of severe weather for Hampshire, only for the west, and the north. Had there been, then I would have thought that cancelling school for the day would have been sensible, simply because buses might have been stranded. If the roads are unsafe due to ice, then surely the bus company should make the call as they know the routes, and are experts at their job. As for students living 20-50 miles away, I find that hard to believe. I was at the end of our school bus route, just over four miles from the school.

This current bout of bad weather had been predicted and well covered via the press, Tv and radio. The day before it landed we were inundated with warnings of how bad it was going to be. Why can’t people heed the warnings and not travel. Many reports of the people stuck in the jams suggested that most weren’t there because of work or emergency so I have no sympathy for such muppets.

Over the years though there have been reports of severe snow forecast but never materialised, so I suspect some don't think its going to happen, and often doesn't -we get flooding instead.

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - SteveLee

Who can forget the "Independent" (sic) headline news story about "global warming" entitled "Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past".

Who can forget the "Independent" (sic) headline news story about "global warming" entitled "Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past".

I’m not daft enough to read the Independent. Unfortunately most journalists are scientifically illiterate. Global warming means the average temperature increases, not that we never get snow. In fact snow over the U.K. could get heavier, just as we seem to have had unusually heavy rain and flooding for many years now. Changes to the weather are complex.

I’m not daft enough to read the Independent. Unfortunately most journalists are scientifically illiterate. Global warming means the average temperature increases, not that we never get snow. In fact snow over the U.K. could get heavier, just as we seem to have had unusually heavy rain and flooding for many years now. Changes to the weather are complex.

The sun is doing some unusual things at the moment which has an effect on the weather and probably more so than pollution, but with the combined effects I think the weather will become more unpredictable

Maybe we should start buying aqua cars, mind you this weather has brought a lot of burst water mains lately around my area, which isn't doing fuel consumption any good due to traffic jams, and all that are being worked on are on major routes so your caught out whichever way you go, cant win

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - madf

It was not a journalist who originated the quote

"According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”. "

tinyurl.com/y9xjv37z

East Anglia University tended - in my earlier days - to be regarded as "flakey".

<< According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event >>

I think to a degree that has happened - not 'within a few years' admittedly. But trying to look back over several decades I would say winters completely free of snow are much more common than they were, at least where I live (Cheshire). Which makes it harder for drivers to remember what to do, of course.

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/02/2019 at 12:13

One snowflake and the country grinds to a halt - alan1302

"According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”. "

tinyurl.com/y9xjv37z

East Anglia University tended - in my earlier days - to be regarded as "flakey".

Yes, seems to be going that way...nearly the end of winter now and have only seen snow on one day and looking at future forecasts don't expect any more. This is in South and West Yorkshire where traditionally there would have been more snow than that.