Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - Doug87542

Hi all, I currently have a Mazda 6 2012 (Venture Edition) and I'm looking at changing it for something similar. I'm tempted just to go with another Mazda, but does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives? Only requirements are something spacious with a large boot. I'll likely be looking at models from 2015/2016 with mileage under 20K. Don't mind petrol or diesel although I need to educate myself a little on buying a diesel in current climate as my previous cars have been petrol. Price point would be around 10K - 15K. I only do around 10-12K miles a year, with a relatively short commute to work and not a huge amount of motorway driving.

Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - badbusdriver

The Mazda diesel has a poor reputation for reliability so i'd scratch that off the list. I'd probably just stick with the Mazda if you are fine with the petrol economy. Nice car, handsome but not showy. and not too common (unlike the ubiquitous Audi's, BMW's and Merc's).

Alternatives?, well if the Mazda ain't big enough, maybe a Skoda Superb estate with the 1.4 turbo (manual gearbox of course, to avoid the dreaded DSG)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190128435...1

Or if you could manage a size down, the Seat Leon sport tourer (with that same 1.4 TSI engine) is a fine looking thing with a large boot.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190121413...2

But if you wanted to up the mpg then the Honda Civic has an enormous boot and the 1.6 diesel seems to be refreshingly free of the usual modern diesel maladies. Your £15k budget would get you into this 3k mile example,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181221341...1

Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - SLO76
Here’s my favourite at this money... Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181219336...0
Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - Engineer Andy

There's a couple available on Motorport too - one (66 plate SE-L Nav) just over (21k miles) the 20k mile limit for £13k, the other a same year Sport Nav with only 8k on the clock for £14.6k. Both 2.0 petrols, though the Sport has more power.

Generally I would go for the SE-L (Nav) as it's normally the best value and is shod on more sensible tyres, which still grip very well but cost a lot less than the bling ones on the Sport models.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 30/01/2019 at 18:47

Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - 72 dudes
Here’s my favourite at this money... Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181219336...0

That one looks fine value, I'm almost tempted myself!

Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - Big John
Here’s my favourite at this money... Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181219336...0

That one looks fine value, I'm almost tempted myself!

Hmm, that's my neck of the woods!

Saying that Drivethedeal have some great deals on new ones

Edited by Big John on 30/01/2019 at 19:29

Thanks .I really like the look of the red Mazda.

Edited by Doug87542 on 30/01/2019 at 20:00

Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - mcb100
If it’s a choice between Mazda6 saloon or estate, how important is rear legroom? I only ask as the Saloon is the longer of the two cars, with a longer wheelbase, giving more rear legroom.

Edited by mcb100 on 30/01/2019 at 21:15

If it’s a choice between Mazda6 saloon or estate, how important is rear legroom? I only ask as the Saloon is the longer of the two cars, with a longer wheelbase, giving more rear legroom.

Not important, we just have a small child in the back at present. Do the odd long trip with adults in the back also but not regular enough to be a concern. I'll look at both options as I do like the look of the tourer.

Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - kiss (keep it simple)

My experience of the mk2 hatchback is the amount of road noise from the rear. The parcel shelf doesn't do a very good job of stopping it. Our mk1 saloon was much better in this respect. Perhaps this is still the case with the new estate.

How very odd, i wonder what the reasoning behind that was?. Given that Mazda is a relatively small player, the costs of having an 8 cm shorter wheelbase on the tourer surely could hardly be justified?. And ignoring that, surely logic would dictate if there was to be a difference in wheelbase, the estate should be the bigger car.

I’m not going to attempt to justify the economics of it, but the saloon was designed with the US market in mind, whereas they haven’t traditionally taken estates so that was ‘European-ised’ for our market. Odd, but true.
Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - Sulphur Man

My choice would be Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8 Valvematic petrol, either manual or the suprisingly decent CVT. 40mpg easily achievable

That budget will get one with plenty of the 5yr toyota warranty left.

You'll be yawning after 10 miles, but you wont be on first name terms with your mechanic

Edited by Sulphur Man on 31/01/2019 at 11:55

My choice would be Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8 Valvematic petrol, either manual or the suprisingly decent CVT. 40mpg easily achievable

That budget will get one with plenty of the 5yr toyota warranty left.

You'll be yawning after 10 miles, but you wont be on first name terms with your mechanic

Yes the Toyota is unfailingly reliable, but so too is the Mazda, so the point is not relevant here. Different if the OP was thinking about a BMW or Merc!. Also, and obviously this is down to personal opinion, but in mine, the Mazda is a much nicer looking car.

Going back to the saloon having a longer wheelbase that the estate, looking at pics on Autotrader, there does not appear to be any more leg room for the rear seats, though i realise this could be due to minor differences in where the front seat was set at the time of the photos (also, surprisingly few pics show the rear footwell, so not much to judge by).

Edited by badbusdriver on 31/01/2019 at 12:56

Going back to the saloon having a longer wheelbase that the estate, looking at pics on Autotrader, there does not appear to be any more leg room for the rear seats, though i realise this could be due to minor differences in where the front seat was set at the time of the photos (also, surprisingly few pics show the rear footwell, so not much to judge by).

It’s about 30mm greater in the saloon. Not a deal breaker, but worth it if you have tall rear seat passengers.
Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - Heidfirst

Yes, the Toyota Avensis 1.8 Valvematic & Mazda 6 2.0 to my mind are sensible long term buys both being naturally aspirated petrols.. The Mazda is probably the more fun drive but the Avensis I suspect will prove to be the cheaper to run over many years.

If actual load carrying is important then the Avensis estate has a properly flat loadspace with the rear seats folded whereas the Mazda seatbacks will still have a slight angle when dropped.

Main problem might be finding a good, reasonably priced, fairly recent example of either as petrols are much less common than diesels & tend to have been sold to private customers who plan to keep them for a while ...

Mazda 6 - Recommend me a saloon or estate....Mazda 6 or ? - SLO76
If your budget were lower I’d favour the Avensis too, I own one myself. But at £10k upwards I’d be in the Mazda which is nicer to look at, better to drive and will hold its value better than an equivalent priced Avensis. The Toyota is bland but efficient, comfortable, dependable and surprisingly decent to drive but it’s a step below the big Mazda.