Zebra crossing 'etiquette' - LHM
Is there a legal requirement to allow a pedestrian to reach the right-hand kerb (assuming a left-to-right cross) of a zebra crossing before moving off?

I've often found that in busy conditions it can prove difficult to move off before another person decides to use the crossing. Under these conditions, is it deemed okay to gently move off once the crossing pedestrian has safely passed the centre line of the road. I'm not suggesting a drag-strip start, skillfully brushing the pedestrian's buttocks on the way past.....!!

Cheers.
Zebra crossing 'etiquette' - TrevP
The simple answers to your questions are:-

legal requirement to allow a pedestrian to reach - No.

is it deemed okay to gently move off once - Yes.

You have fulfilled your obligation - you have given way

Zebra crossing 'etiquette' - frostbite
And to add to that (but I'm sure you knew), if there is an island in the centre, it's treated as two distinct crossings so you can, in some respects disregard people on or waiting at the 'other' crossing.
Zebra crossing 'etiquette' - NorthernKev {P}
On a similar note, doesn't it irritate you when you do stop and people loiter [spelling suggestions please] across without a nod of aknowledgement of you stopping? I don't expect Oscar speaches but something. Please!
I can't be the only one?! Can I?

Also the suicidal ones who believe the Zebra crossing is an extension of the pavement, and even if you are only feet away they still believe you will stop?

I say more pedestrian training!

Kev
Zebra crossing 'etiquette' - Dwight Van Driver
LHM

Just for you:

www.tinyurl.com/bq5r

Section IV and Reg 25(1)

DVD
Zebra crossing 'etiquette' - sean
Very well done for the link to the SI.

Just shows, this board has some very knowledgeable folk here.
Zebra crossing 'etiquette' - Flat in Fifth
"On a similar note, doesn't it irritate you when you do stop and people loiter [spelling suggestions please] across without a nod of aknowledgement of you stopping?"

Or even worse when you have stopped for someone and his mate slows down and just starts to cross just before you go, and then his mate......

All with a supercilious smirk on their faces.

Personally when this happens I just think "chill man" and show them that basically I don't give a pink fluffy dice

Pls note I put the pfd in, not the mods. ;-)