118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - Benjamin Knight

So iv only had a fiat punto and a clio both petrol 1.2 but just brought a 2010 BMW 118d I'm a confident driver as expected found the new car very different is 2000 revs doing say 30-35mph in second straining the car or is third too high? Do I need higher revs any advice appreciated also is very different to me as rear wheel drive thanks

Edited by Benjamin Knight on 11/01/2019 at 22:33

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - Graham567
Most cars are geared by 10 mph. So 1st for 0-10,2nd for 10-20,3rd for 20-30 and fourth 30-40.So at 30-35mph you should be in 4th.My Mondeo doesn't like around 30 in fourth so in my case i change down to 3rd until i reach 35ish(roads allowing) and then change up into fourth.
Hope that helps.
118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - gordonbennet

That engine should be quite happy poodling along at around 1500 mph, the turbo should also just be starting to come on stream when you want to increase speed.

Driven between about that 1500 and up to 2800/3000 rpm should be a nice rev range for a Diesel of that type, though the odd blast up to near enough the red band won't hurt it to blow the cobwebs out now and again, it will probably be quite happy down to about 1200 rpm at a steady speed but you may find not much turbo pressure available until getting nearer 1500, some Diesels don't really get going till 2000rpm but your BMW should be better than that.

Turbos need a little more sympathy to get the best and longest life out of them and the engine, so allow it to warm up a bit before making it work too hard, and after normal driving allow it to tickover for a minute or so before shutdown, if you been hammering it allow a couple of minutes tickover before shutdown, this is to allow the trubo to cool a bit so oil doesn't get cooked and block the oilways in the turbo itself.

Change the engine oil once a year or 10k at most, ignore what the handbook says completely on this.

Presumably it has a DPF, read as much as you can about how to care for that.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/01/2019 at 22:57

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - misar

That engine should be quite happy poodling along at around 1500 mph.

Knew BMWs are fast but no idea they were that hot.

Might get one myself.

That engine should be quite happy poodling along at around 1500 mph.

Knew BMWs are fast but no idea they were that hot.

Might get one myself.

Ah, read rpm instead...:-)

Hi many thanks for the reply that was full of useful stuff much appreciated! When you say allow to warm up do you mean idle for a few minutes before I take off or drive at low revs for a while? And as regards to dpf yeah iv read quite a bit about them like taking it for a blast is good every now and again and I'm also going to but some redex dpf cleaner when I remember

When you say allow to warm up do you mean idle for a few minutes before I take off or drive at low revs for a while?

Different schools of thought about this subject, most people suggest to drive it gently for a few miles to allow the engine, but especially the oil, to get warmed up before giving it the beans, idling tends to be frowned upon by some and unless the coolant has some sort of switchable auxilliary system which helps things then Diesels take a lot longer than petrols to warm up, either way i'm happy with personally, as good maintenance corrosion prevention and mechanical sympathy are what makes vehicles last in my humble.

DPF health is more inclined to fairly constant mid rev range cruising once the vehicle is thoroughly hot during regen, but good luck in that corresponding with a regen starting, over which the driver has no input whatsoever.

Others will be able to advise you better on DPF care, not something i want nor am likely to buy into.

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - badbusdriver

A lot of modern turbo diesel engines can have a narrow power band, and at the same time, a lot of modern cars have ludicrously long gearing (to 'help') with mpg figures. These two factors combined can make it difficult to find a sweet spot, especially at the lower speeds of driving in town. As for what is putting strain on the engine, you will manage to suss this out by feel with a bit of time and experience of the car.

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - John F

When you say allow to warm up do you mean idle for a few minutes before I take off or drive at low revs for a while

Don't idle, just drive off immediately, but don't rev the engine much beyond 2000 rpm and don't floor the accelerator until fully warmed up. Although cold oil viscosity has improved greatly, it's still worth remembering that an engine is vulnerable until the oil has reached at least 90C. On a cold winter's morning the oil will still be cold even when the water temp gauge has struggled up to its normal position. However, modern small engines warm up very quickly. I keep the 1.6 Focus oil level at or just above minimum in winter (3.6 -4litres) for more rapid warm-up; the heater is effective after not much more than a mile. In stark contrast, the Audi's 6.0l lump containing 12.5litres of oil takes about five miles before the water temperature gauge gets to the normal 90C mark. Sadly, although packed with bells and whistles, it lacks the oil temperature gauge my old A6 had. (and doesn't get used much for short winter journeys!)

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - KenC

I would like to add to get the best from your diesel research the maximum torque produced at which engine rpm, then use this as a guide to change gear either up or down ( when you may need a reserve of power eg when approaching a hazard or an overtake ). Always allow the turbo oil to cool down after a long run or a steep hill climb etc.Unless it is a fairly new car you may also want to consider changing the oil feed pipes to/from the turbo ( to ensure maximum lubrication and prevent oil starvation)

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - skidpan

Had this exact car from 2008 to 2013 and I rate it very highly. The engine is a peach, best diesel we ever had. One was slightly more economical but nowhere near as quick, another was slightly quicker but nowhere near as economical, none were as refined or as flexible.

Just drive it normally and you will be fine, no special technique needed, its only a car.

Been stung iv just found out.. Flexi pipe is badly welded onto dpf hoping mechanic can save the dpf fingers crossed!!

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - Avant

Did you buy the car from a dealer or privately?

Been stung iv just found out.. Flexi pipe is badly welded onto dpf hoping mechanic can save the dpf fingers crossed!!

Wonder if that's an empty canister now instead of holding a DPF, sounds suspect, the next MOT tester may be thinking along those lines too.

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - nick62

Wonder if that's an empty canister now instead of holding a DPF, sounds suspect, the next MOT tester may be thinking along those lines too.

I'd bet my wife its an empty canister. The "bad" welding is probably where the canister has been repaired after being opened-up like a sardine can to remove the DPF?

Will find out tomorrow and let you know any advice much appreciated what are my options if its removed??

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - nick62

If you brought from a dealer and the DPF has been altered/removed, ask for your money back under the "The Sale of Goods Act". If you brought it privately, I guess you have a fair size bill coming soon?

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - skidpan

If the DPF shows signs of tampering any respectable MOT garage should fail it unless the owner can prove its still functioning, no idea how you do that.

If the DPF has been gutted as well as requiring replacing the cars ECU will have been remapped to stop the dash lighting up like a baboons backside. Mapping back to standard will also cost money as will replacing any sensors that have been removed.

Expect a large bill, possibly/probably in 4 figures.

Got a quote for 550 today mate still don't know if dpf removed or not but mechanic said if it isn't it won't matter as such.. Just said the light won't come on

118d - Just brought bmw 118d need advice - Engineer Andy

Got a quote for 550 today mate still don't know if dpf removed or not but mechanic said if it isn't it won't matter as such.. Just said the light won't come on

...but will be illegal. It's not just that not having a DPF on such a newer car will fail its MOT, but if Plod stop you and check, then...oh deary me. For that sort of thing, it's probably one of those itmes, like bald tyres and broken lights, that the Police will now check.

Don't take the risk in leaving it off or get a cheapo botch job done. If you bought the car via a dealer, then demand your money back and report them to trading standards (afterwards); if it's a private sale, you may not have any comeback (lesson learned) and will have to either stump up the full repair cost or flog it for peanuts (after declaring it has no DPF).

Yeah a friend of mine has got the new dpf and is fitting for free pretty much I'm just worried about the remap side of things??