Vauxhall Corsa C - Sump removal questions - Josh Brice
Hi all,
Doing the timing chain soon on a Z12XE engine. Decided that I’m going to go ahead and drop the sump to save myself a bit of grief getting the timing cover back on and all lined up properly. The Haynes manual says to disconnect the exhaust where it meets the downpipe on the bottom of the manifold, however is it possible to get the sump out simply by just disconnecting the exhaust manifold from the engine and pushing it down a bit to give better clearance?
Also with regards to the sump gasket the manual says to use a bit of sealant as well along with it. Other places I’ve read not to do this at all. What’s people’s opinions on this?
Cheers!
Vauxhall Corsa C - Sump removal questions - hardway

from memory take the pipe off,

access to sump bolts way easier.

as to gasket I do use silicon sealant if for no other reason that it makes me mad when an oil leak appears on new parts.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Sump removal questions - skidpan

as to gasket I do use silicon sealant

Do not use ordinary DIY silicon sealant. Its not designed for automotive use and contact with engine oil turns it to a substance widely known as Gorilla snot. If it gets into the sump (which it will if you use too much) it can block oilways, filters etc. Proper engine silicon is available but I suggest first you check what the manufacturer recommends. Their propitiatory sealant won't cost much more and will do the job safely.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Sump removal questions - bathtub tom

You can also now get an automotive specialty sealant that doesn't 'ball' if too much is used and some falls into the sump.

Can't recall its name unfortunately.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Sump removal questions - galileo

You can also now get an automotive specialty sealant that doesn't 'ball' if too much is used and some falls into the sump.

Can't recall its name unfortunately.

Blue Hylomar?