BMW 1 Series - BMW 118i v 116d - Diesel really bad? - LordMas

Hi All, i was hoping someone could help me out with a dilemma please?

I am looking into getting a BMW 1 Series for my every day car and i do around 1000 miles a month. I usually keep cars for at least 5 years before thinking about getting a replacement.

The 118i and 116d both have a little 3 cylinder engine 1.5L.

The 118i average honest john mpg is 38mpg

The 116d average honest john mpg is 56mpg

Im in two minds about going for the 116d or not. Friends are telling me that in a few years time the government will probably put some kind of tax on Diesels entering cities and the yearly car tax on them may go up. Is this baloney or somewhat correct?

It might explain why the 116d seems cheaper on the used market than a 118i of the same year / same mileage?

I really welcome your honest opinions please :) thanks!

BMW 1 Series - BMW 118i v 116d - Diesel really bad? - Happy Blue!

There is a lot of noise about diesels being only suitable for annual mileages in excess of 20,000pa. However in reality the type of journey is important.

I have driven diesels for almost nine years doing no more than 9,000 miles each year and few of my journeys are more than 15 miles. I have suffered no ill effects.

The key is to buy a reliable engine, service it well and do drive a reasonable distance in a single trip every so often.

Unless you are grinding through gridlock every day (and taxis do) your 12,000 miles a year should be fine. Buy the 118d.

BMW 1 Series - BMW 118i v 116d - Diesel really bad? - Avant

I'd have an Audi A1 in front of either of them. Myy wife has one, a 1.4 125 bhp petrol which averages 47 mpg, mainly on short journeys in rural Dorset, but it'll give 55 mpg on a long run. It's the best small car we've had

Are you buying new or used? I take Espada's point about the 116d, which might make a good used buy - but I'm not sure what sort of noise a 3-cylinder diesel makes, and if you want one you need to try it and make sure you like it.

But also try an A1.

BMW 1 Series - BMW 118i v 116d - Diesel really bad? - badbusdriver

I wouldn't have a BMW 1 series of any description. But, for the OP's question, firstly, a 1.5 is not a particularly small engine in a car the size of a 1 series. You can, or could, get a Mondeo with the 1.0 ecoboost engine. Also, how many cylinders it has is irrelevant.

Re petrol vs diesel, personally, i would not go for a diesel due to the potential problems unless my usage (i.e very high miles, towing etc) dictated it. The mpg figures you mention for the petrol 1 series, seems poor. 1 or 2 forum members have, or have had cars with the 1.4TSI VAG engine, which seems to easily manage 50mpg.

But probably the most important point, given you plan to keep the car 5 years, i'd probably be inclined to look for a more reliable car to start with, before worrying about which fuel. Mind you, if buying new (you haven't said), you can probably extend the warranty to 5 years.

Edited by badbusdriver on 07/11/2018 at 09:01

Thanks for the replies

I would be buying used around 3 years old / 25k miles on clock.

My main reason of going for bmw is i am a software developer and the bmw platform is very coder friendly so i plan on tinkering with that side of things, i am a nerd :)

From what i read online this morning it does seem that unless you do a good amount of miles and long journeys the diesel probably isnt worth it. Its a louder car etc etc

I will look at the Audi and test drive one, that doesnt cost me anything after all! I am leaning more towards the petrol b38 engine though.

Unless anyone thinks something like a bmw 330e will be worth it?

BMW 1 Series - BMW 118i v 116d - Diesel really bad? - skidpan

We has a BMW 118D for over 5 years averaging about 8,000 miles a year. No issues at all other than a broken front spring.

When it was time to change first car considered was the 116i with the turbo triple. But when we looked at the alternatives it became an also ran.

Bought a Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 140 PS and it cost about £4000 less than a similarly kitted BMW 116i. No idea what the engine was like in the BMW, never drove it, but the 1.4 TSi used by all VAG brands is an absolute peach, we are on our 2nd now in a Skoda Superb.

Over those 5 and a bit years the BMW averaged a true calculated 47 mpg, the dash display said 53 mpg and I have always suspected that a majority of posters on HJ real MPG use that incorrect figure. In the same usage the Seat averaged a true calculated 45 mpg. The Superb is also averaging about 45 mpg. No point risking diesels when petrol economy can be excellent if you get the right car.

If you want a 1 series sized car the A3, Golf and Leon are the closest matches. The A1 is a bit smaller, its the same car as a Polo/Fabia/Ibiza in a different frock.

Edited by skidpan on 07/11/2018 at 10:04

Thanks skidpan, i am going to take a closer look at those 1.4 TSI's

Never looked at a golf before (i am still skeptical after that emissions scandal but if im honest i only know what the headlines said at the time)

Never looked at a golf before (i am still skeptical after that emissions scandal but if im honest i only know what the headlines said at the time)

All VAG cars use the same software and engines, VW just got the headlines. Seat's, Skoda's, Audi's and VW's were all affected. The scandal was diesels, not TSI's.

And don't forget that several other manufacturers have been caught since VAG, basically they were all at it.

All VAG cars use the same software and engines, VW just got the headlines. Seat's, Skoda's, Audi's and VW's were all affected. The scandal was diesels, not TSI's.

And don't forget that several other manufacturers have been caught since VAG, basically they were all at it.

Ah see thats where the headlines have deceived me, i thought it was petrol, this helps put my mind at rest thank you.

Ah see thats where the headlines have deceived me, i thought it was petrol, this helps put my mind at rest thank you.

See why you were confused, with the press calling it the "Dieselgate Scandal" it made me think of petrol every time.

See why you were confused, with the press calling it the "Dieselgate Scandal" it made me think of petrol every time.

I will just leave this here - www.reuters.com/article/volkswagen-emissions/vw-em...0

I will just leave this here - www.reuters.com/article/volkswagen-emissions/vw-em...0

If you go on the VW site www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/emissionsinfo to check a car for the cheat software its quite clear its only for diesel engines. As far as I am aware there are no actions for any petrol engines at present.

BMW 1 Series - BMW 118i v 116d - Diesel really bad? - TheGentlemanThug
My main reason of going for bmw is i am a software developer and the bmw platform is very coder friendly so i plan on tinkering with that side of things, i am a nerd :)

Are you saying that you want (and more to the point, allowed) to connect a computer and tinker with the iDrive system? That will just cause all sorts of headaches when it comes to servicing, repairs and insurance.

What exactly do you want to do? I work in IT myself and can handle techno-babble.

Are you saying that you want (and more to the point, allowed) to connect a computer and tinker with the iDrive system? That will just cause all sorts of headaches when it comes to servicing, repairs and insurance.

What exactly do you want to do? I work in IT myself and can handle techno-babble.

Hey essentially you can plug a laptop up to the cars OBD Port, open a program called ESYS and enable lots of features that haven't been activated from the dealer (such as apple car play) saves you paying the dealer to do it when you can do it yourself.

This is only a few select things i can remember but all of these cant be set without tapping into the OBD

You can enable automatic change the angle of the passenger mirror when you go into reverse. You can set the actual angle.

Set the car so it always starts with ac on or off.

Turn on digital speedo.

Set it so the radio mutes when the drivers door opens.

Set the lights under the door handles to turn on when in reverse to help see curbs.

Silly things like enabling the Rolls Royce sounds as its built into the head unit just needs activating.

You can enable things in idrive such as video on motion / add support for .mkv / .mp4 and storing more files on the idrives hard drive.

Warranty cant be a bit hit and miss, so to be safe the community around this suggest reverting to a backup before taking the car in for a service so it removes all the enabled features. Or you can turn them off one by one.