Winter Tyres - skidpan

Been using winter tyres every year since 2010 and have always informed our insurer (Aviva) of my intention to use them and give them details despite the ABI document that states you are free to go ahead and use them with no requirement to inform them. Done this because its been pretty much the norm to use a smaller rim and in some cases a steel one and either could be said to be a modification. Aviva have always said OK (once they did ask more questions but when they realised steel wheels are cheaper than alloys they said OK).

So last week I rang them to say the wheels would be going on the Fabia for the first time some time in November until late March or early April. Explained they were steel rims with the correct tyre size for those rims on a Fabia. Chap checked with their underwriter (this has happened before) and all was OK, no extra to pay.

But then he got silly. he wanted to know the exact dates we changed. Told him it varied and to some extent it depended on the weather, its nicer to change wheels on a warm, dry, sunny day. To that he said I had to ring them each time I changed tyres and inform them. Never had to do that before but he was adamant it was their ruling.

So I rang again today and spoke to a nice Scottish lady. Told her the facts, she checked on their records of our conversation last week and confirmed all he had said was a total load of nonsense. She conformed its exactly as before, its noted on my policy and will remain there until we change the car (or change insurers).

Guess some staff training is required.

Winter Tyres - Big John

Just refitted mine. I told my insurer when I first fitted them. I bought a second hand set of the same alloys that were fitted to the car from new. I'll phone again just to make sure.

Just in time - this morning was a little wintry. Saying that my "summer tyres" are now Crossclimates. When I wear out the Conti TS850's I'll probably just use Crossclimates and sell the alloys - however the TS850's are looking as though they will last forever. They've done about 13k miles over two seasons and they look like new still.I always swap front-rear and vice-versa every time I fit the wheels.

Edited by Big John on 29/10/2018 at 22:45

Winter Tyres - craig-pd130

@Big John - what car is that on, please? I'm interested in the longevity of Crossclimates for possible future use.

Of course, wear rates vary hugely according to driving style etc (my son wore out a front pair of Uniroyal Rainexperts in 13,000 miles on his Corsa) but it would be interesting to know your experience.

Winter Tyres - skidpan

Well I am amazed yet again.

Been down to the woods with the dog and parked next to a newish (private plate) current shape Subaru Forester. Spotted it had got nice new shiny winter tyres on the front and well worn Conti summer tyres on the rear.

Not knowing much about Subarus other than the are AWD (it said so on the back) what good would putting just 2 winters on especially on the front. Its not recommended on any car and Aviva specifically refuse to insure cars fitted with a mix of winter and summer tyres any time of year.

Winter Tyres - madf

Well I am amazed yet again.

Been down to the woods with the dog and parked next to a newish (private plate) current shape Subaru Forester. Spotted it had got nice new shiny winter tyres on the front and well worn Conti summer tyres on the rear.

Not knowing much about Subarus other than the are AWD (it said so on the back) what good would putting just 2 winters on especially on the front. Its not recommended on any car and Aviva specifically refuse to insure cars fitted with a mix of winter and summer tyres any time of year.

It will help wear the 4wd system.. And ensure spins on snowy/icy corners..

Winter Tyres - daveyjp
Some people are idiots. They buy AWD and don’t appreciate the implications of ownership.

Foresters are fitted with OEM mud and snow tyres, usually Geolanders. When switched diagonally across axles every year as per the schedule they should do about 40,000 miles., then all 4 can be changed.

If someone ignores this they can look forward to a bill for new AWD components and regular activations of the stability control system. Subaru dealers love these type of owners!

Winter Tyres - Big John

@craig-pd130 - The Crossclimates are fitted to my 2014 1.4tsi mk II Superb S which has 205/55 R16 tyres. I've done about 18,000 miles on them thus far and I didn't measure them when I stored them but there was loads of tread in the centre with a little bit of wear at the edges but still loads of life. I'd say I've certainly got another summer season left (circa 9000 miles) and possibly two. Best thing about the Crossclimate is they are very quiet. Grip in the wet is outstanding as well.

For comparison I got 35,311 miles out of the original set of Continental summer tyres.

Sorry, slightly sad but I do note date and mileage when I swap / buy tyres!!

I fitted Quatrac 5 all seasons to my previous 2003 Superb mkI (also 205/55 16) sometime before I sold it - and the new owner still has them fitted some 45,000 miles later and still OK. In my ownership the original Bridgestones lasted 18,000 miles, Goodyears 23,000 and Michelin Energys 30,000 miles( had a few sets of these but grip in winter was poor)

NB With my commute and holiday style I tend to do about 15,000 miles a year so I try to pick cars with higher profiles as I've always find they last much longer and are also much cheaper to buy.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Big John on 31/10/2018 at 21:24

Winter Tyres - craig-pd130

@Big John, thanks, that's useful to know. My experience with Conti Eco / Sportcontacts is similar to yours, they last for ages. My old Passat B5.5 came with them from the factory and the fronts lasted 30K+, which was impressive for a large diesel barge that was driven briskly.

Winter Tyres - Engineer Andy

When I wanted to change my wheels and tyres over from the OEM 205/55 R16V to (still allowableand specified in the handbook and on the door plate) 195/65 R15H and from summer only tyres (all year) to CrossClimates, I phoned my insurer to as to whether they would allow this and the implications for my policy/premium.

Tthey gave me a quote (luckily as a long-serving customer [rare to get this these days] they waived the £25 admin fee for the change) after they confirmed via their supervisor that it was ok (as I had also checked directly with Mazda and said so).

They said to phone back once I had a confirmed date for the change or on the day of the change, and they would honour the cheapest requote between the previous one a few weeks ago and the one that day. I was pleased to find out when phoning them on the day of the changeover that my quote had reduced by about £15, so I was to get a refund.

The change was treated as a modification, but a manufacturer-certificated one, unlike, say, me having the wheels changed out for 18in ones etc or lowering the suspension using non-standard parts (i.e. modding). I suspect this is where insurers treat people like us making sensible decisions about changing out parts differently and far more favourably to modders who are significantly changing the nature of a car outside the OEM specs.

I suspect also that quite a few of the customer service operatives just don't have the knowledge (even some supervisors) to understand the difference and often default to what their computer screen tells them, which are too standardised and information can only be changed by supervisors who will use their greater experience and discretion in such cases. This was the case with my change.

The insurers don't want to pay their ordinary CS staff the extra to train them for such eventualities because they believe it doesn't happen often enough to warrant the extra cost of training and salaries. My dad (who worked in insurance for 35 years) confirmed this - for any meaningful/out-of-the-ordinary change to any of his insurance policies, he asks to speak to a supervisor or above almost straight away, so as not to waste everyone's time.

Hopefully as more people in the UK switch to all season or put on winter tyres (with smaller steel wheels) on their cars then the insurers will make the required adjustments to staff training, procedures and their computer systems to account for this.

Winter Tyres - skidpan

Some people are idiots. They buy AWD and don’t appreciate the implications of ownership.

Correct.

Worked with 2 people at my last place who had Subarus. Both claimed they were necessary to avoid getting stuck in bad weather but in both cases when the weather was bad they simply stayed at home, too frightened of damaging the cars. Bizarre as it might seem I managed to get into work along the same roads in my BMW with Kleber Quadraxer tyres fitted with no issues.

But some garages are owned by cheats who take the idiots for a ride.

Same 2 people. Neither did much mileage (probably because they were afraid of damaging their cars) and both bought their cars as 6 month old demonstrators (from different dealers) and kept them for over 7 years. One car had a transmission failure and the dealer told the owner that parts were no longer available thus the car was basically scrap. They kindly offered to take it off his hands and sell him another demonstrator and he accepted their kind offer. 2 weeks later his old car was back on the forecourt at full retail. He was furious since he had sold it for scrap (but not filled in that part of the V5) and when he confronted the dealer they told him they had fitted used parts. They ceased trading shortly after when Subaru lost most of their dealers. The other chap was robbed on an annual basis, we told him he was an idiot but he would not listen. Every year after 4,000 miles the garage would insist the car needed new discs and pads all round and 4 new tyres due to uneven wear, his bill was over £1000 every time. Eventually his transmission failed and he got a bill for over £2000. That dealer lost the Subaru franchise at the same time and now sells an alternative 4 x 4 brand.

At one time I believed Subarus were reliable but those owners put that idea out of the window. Are they really that weak that the wrong tyres will break the diff?

Winter Tyres - Falkirk Bairn

>>Are they really that weak that the wrong tyres will break the diff?

Subarus are permanent 4 wheel drive needs tyres on front & back to be the same - if there is a discrepancy between the front & back the diff will suffer.

Most SUVs are 4 wheel drive on demand - 4wd comes on when the electronics detects a loss of grip.

With 4WD it is a good policy to swap fronts are rears to even out wear between fronts & rear. The down side is that all 4 require changing at the same time - with FWD cars I used to wear out the fronts in say 20K & put the rears which were say 5/6 mm on the front & the new ones on the back.

Winter Tyres - RT

>>Are they really that weak that the wrong tyres will break the diff?

Subarus are permanent 4 wheel drive needs tyres on front & back to be the same - if there is a discrepancy between the front & back the diff will suffer.

Most SUVs are 4 wheel drive on demand - 4wd comes on when the electronics detects a loss of grip.

With 4WD it is a good policy to swap fronts are rears to even out wear between fronts & rear. The down side is that all 4 require changing at the same time - with FWD cars I used to wear out the fronts in say 20K & put the rears which were say 5/6 mm on the front & the new ones on the back.

Subaru uses 3 different 4wd systems, dependent on the transmission and power output - many are 4wd on demand that vary between 90:10 and 50:50 front:rear.

It doesn't do any 4wd any good to have a big difference in tyre diameter but modern ones don't get the wind-up that old LRs did, in their case because there was NO centre diff.