Volvo V40 - 2.0 T2 vs 1.6 T3 Petrol Engines - galwayman
Hi.
I’m wondering what are people’s opinions on the Volvo V40 petrol engines?
Have been looking at 2cars in particular - one is a 2013 T3 1.6 150bhp and the other is a 2015 T2 2.0L 122bhp.
The 2013 version has a higher spec trim and lower mileage and is 2k cheaper.
Anyone driven both and can offer a comparison?
Thanks very much in advance.
Volvo V40 - 2.0 T2 vs 1.6 T3 Petrol Engines - SLO76
Haven’t driven either but I can tell you that the 1.6 is Ford’s Ecoboost motor which is based on the Yamaha designed Zetec SE motors that first appeared in 1996. It’s a robust engine and goes well in 150PS spec. The 2.0 is Volvo’s own design and this is the lower output version. I’d have faith in either as long as they’re manuals and have full Volvo history.

You’ll have to drive them to compare as it’s personal preference that matters but I suspect either will be lively enough with even the low output 2.0 fairly well endowed with mid-range shove. Volvo used Ford’s very unreliable Powershift gearboxes in certain models and you do not want one of these. I’d go manual with this as even Volvo’s own auto boxes can be troublesome as they age.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/10/2018 at 02:53

Volvo V40 - 2.0 T2 vs 1.6 T3 Petrol Engines - barney100

I've had quite a few Volvo engines and generally they are excellent. They are capable of v high mileage if looked after.

Volvo V40 - 2.0 T2 vs 1.6 T3 Petrol Engines - craig-pd130
Hi. I’m wondering what are people’s opinions on the Volvo V40 petrol engines? Have been looking at 2cars in particular - one is a 2013 T3 1.6 150bhp and the other is a 2015 T2 2.0L 122bhp.

I haven't driven either but the later T2 has virtually the same torque output as the older T3, and the T2 delivers max torque from 1,100rpm according to Volvo's specs, so it may feel livelier in everyday driving. As others said, try and drive both to see which you prefer.

Volvo V40 - 2.0 T2 vs 1.6 T3 Petrol Engines - Engineer Andy

Given the weird way they made up this range, I was never sure whether the 2.0 was a N/A car, as it appears to be with only 124PS (essentially the same as the Mazda3 with its 2.0 N/A petrol engine [no longer shared since the divorce from Ford, just similar outputs]), though the V40's torque is 162 lbs-ft and 184 lbs-ft for the T2 and T3 (current, according to HJ's reviews section) compared to only 155 lbs-ft for the Mazda.

Oldly enough, the Mazda3 2.0 is 1 sec quicker to 60 than the V40 2.0 (8.8/8.9 vs 9.8). The 1.5 in the T2 is the same output and performance as the 2.0 in the same car, yet in the T3 its increased in both power and torque. All very confusing. Never mattered to me as when I was looking for the uprated T3, my local dealer (18 months ago) wasn't exactly willing to sell me on, only diesels.

I was distinctly unimpressed with their attitude (and it seems this wasn't a local phenomenon) and the confusing way Volvo marketed their engines and auto gearboxes - they don't tell you which (at the time) were Ford Powershift dual clutch ones and which were other brands/TC types. No way was I going to buy from them.

Volvo V40 - 2.0 T2 vs 1.6 T3 Petrol Engines - brettmick
I have a 2016 V40 T2 R Design with about 26k up now. I like the engine, smooth, nippy enough, decent at speed. The clutch pedal has been getting stuck of late, which is my only problem with the car which I’ve owned from new. Decent all round car, really comfortable (I’m 6’3) visibility not so good and interior space is tight but our family bus is a Zafira and this is my work car so it doesn’t matter. The car comes into it’s own at this time of year, I love the interior in the dark and the LED headlights are fantastic.