KIA Carens - Changing and dealers - oldroverboy.

Venga playing up again, faulty fuel gauge, intermittent, and feel like a change.

Stonic too small, (interior) sportage too ugly...

Carens acceptable and lots of space inside and has steering wheel height and rake adjustable for yrg...

Upon asking when my car was in this morning, quoted full retail, asked about offers... some papproved with full 7 year warranty available £1500 off.. £16495, 12,000 miles.

went home and researched and found what i wanted new (brand new unregistered) via broker £15980..

Surprise surprise.. dealer can match..

Edited by oldroverboy. on 25/10/2018 at 18:26

KIA Carens - Changing and dealers - Avant

People tend to forget about the Kia Carens, perhaps because it's classed as an MPV rather than an SUV - the difference being vague and blurred.

That should mean good deals on new ones, so go for it.

KIA Carens - Changing and dealers - SLO76
Getting a bit old hat these and values are slipping. Personally I’d buy a good approved used 2014-15 example with 3-4yrs warranty left for around £10-£11k.
KIA Carens - Changing and dealers - KB.

Is the Niro no good for you? I keep going back to the reviews and reports myself and it has a certain appeal.... dimensions are neither too big nor too small and it's a bit taller than a standard hatchback and it'll do quite a lot to the gallon - but haven't looked at one close up yet.

It was, apparently, the choice of a recent, new, contributor who ,evidently, looked at just about every option available and said the Niro was the one for them.

Just edited it ... I mistakenly called it a Nero!

Edited by KB. on 26/10/2018 at 12:17

Just edited it ... I mistakenly called it a Nero!

Does it fiddle while Rome burns... Italexit...

No warranty worth having on used carens clutch..owners club problems putting me off. So used out of question. Want more room than venga. Better seats.. Reach tilt/rake steering adjustment. Petrol.. Manual.

KIA Carens - Changing and dealers - skidpan

We looked at the Carens when we bought the Superb. We liked the Ceed and the Carens looked promising but it has/had issues (for us at least).

Good points.

The "2" had everything we wanted

The list price was competitive.

Bad points.

Discounts were difficult to come by, dealers are not generous and not many brokers sell them. We actually paid less for the Superb than the best price we found.

Its only available as a 7 seater and since the 3rd row of seats is not removable the boot space with them folded is not good at under 500 litres, less than we really wanted.

Seem to remember the folded 3rd row of seats prevented a spare being carried unless it was simply placed in the boot robbing more space (see point above).

The only petrol is the ageing and weedy non-turbo 1600. It was poor in the smaller, lighter Ceed so I would hate to think what it would be like in the Carens.

The mpg for the petrol is a popular complaint on the owners forum, the HJ Real MPG section suggests 36 mpg, way less than any VAG TSi manages.

If the car suits I am sure it would be a faithful companion but it was not for us.

“No warranty worth having on used carens clutch.”

No warranty covers wear and tear items like a clutch. Unless it can be proven to be a manufacturing fault it’ll be put down to the driver and classed as wear and tear. Otherwise a used Kia will have the remainder of the firms excellent 7yr 100k warranty.

I am aware of the excellent 7 year warranty. It's the reports of people buying used at about 20000 miles ish having clutch problems. Even after a few miles It's not covered.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 27/10/2018 at 06:52

I am aware of the excellent 7 year warranty. It's the reports of people buying used at about 20000 miles ish having clutch problems. Even after a few miles It's not covered.

It is a weak point on Kia’s and Hyundai’s but not all that common. Point is that it wouldn’t be covered on a new one either and the newer car has more value to lose. It’s in general a very robust car but resale isn’t the easiest with the bulk of buyers only attracted on price alone. To protect your money how about one of these instead? Utterly bombproof, better on fuel and will always sell easily when you’re done. No idea about new broker prices though but there’s no fear from buying an approved used example. I’ve never experienced a major failure on any Honda in over two decades of buying and selling them and the majority were more than a decade old. Clutches can be an issue on the diesels but doesn’t seem to be a problem on the petrol unless driven badly and it’s worn prematurely. I just found a great car on Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180804915...1

Edited by SLO76 on 27/10/2018 at 10:28

KIA Carens - Changing and dealers - RT

Hyundai, and therefore Kia, clutch issues are compounded by failure of the clutch hydraulics which allows fluid on to the clutch plates - some dealer press Hyundai UK for a warranty repair but many dealers say "wear/tear - not covered" without even applying to Hyundai UK.

Hyundai, and therefore Kia, clutch issues are compounded by failure of the clutch hydraulics which allows fluid on to the clutch plates - some dealer press Hyundai UK for a warranty repair but many dealers say "wear/tear - not covered" without even applying to Hyundai UK.

I’ve had two clutches replaced under warranty in recent years, one on a VW and the other on a Honda but the understanding was in both cases that if they found no manufacturing fault when they stripped it then they’d Class it as wear and tear and I’d have to pay. I knew in both cases it was contamination of the clutch plate and it wasn’t wear but I also owned both vehicles from new or nearly new and neither was badly driven. It’s a bit of a grey area but technically a wear and tear item so if it’s just worn out and starting to slip it’s down to you. Not a disaster by any means though, it’s not a major failure. I can’t stand a juddering clutch but many would’ve lived with the two I had without being that upset. Good on VW though for being so quick to accept the fault and replacing it foc despite it having done 24,000 miles.

I bought my first Hyundai, new, in 2009.

It had a new clutch within a few months after a bit of a tussle with HUK who, initially, didn't want to change it (despite it having covered a few hundred miles, not a few thousand.

I registered with the Hyundai forum at the time and clutches and gearboxes were the hot topic of conversation then .... and, by the sound of it, still are.

Hence my next Hyundai was automatic ... I reckoned that they would have less opportunity to wriggle out of any problems that might occur. As it happens I still have it and the (torque converter) auto box has been OK.

I mentioned the Niro but it received no interest or sensible comment here and didn't intend mentioning it again ... but it won't have the same clutch issues as might be found in a manual - admittedly it has a twin clutch automatic but I keep reading that they are considered more reliable than Ford's or VAG's twin clutch transmissions AND, presumably are covered by the 7 yr warranty and, being an automatic, the driver can't be accused of abusing the clutch.

Edited by KB. on 27/10/2018 at 12:00

KIA Carens - Changing and dealers - daveyjp
If it has a twin clutch auto it is quite easy for the driver to destroy the clutches in very short order, especially if they see a handbrake as an unnecessary accessory when waiting on an incline at red lights.
If it has a twin clutch auto it is quite easy for the driver to destroy the clutches in very short order, especially if they see a handbrake as an unnecessary accessory when waiting on an incline at red lights.

Do we know whether Hyundai/Kia have rejected claims on the basis that the driver was proven to be at fault for failure of the twin clutch components?

KIA Carens - Changing and dealers - Falkirk Bairn

A bit newer, say 18 mths, than Slo's (& a bit dearer) @ £18K before arguing for a reduction but under 1500 miles & an 18 reg

tinyurl.com/yb65rw46

KIA Carens - Changing and dealers - daveyK_UK
Considered a Kia Carens but 3 issues put me off

1. Little discount and the price wasn’t competitive

2. Poor driving position even with adjustments, you sit low beneath the dashboard and the
Bonnet is hard to gauge

3. The petrol option was gutless and poor on
fuel economy

The 2 trim was excellent

The 1.7 diesel was never an option as too many clutch horror stories