Hot Hatches - which one - sx200n

Hello,

I recently posted about choosing between petrol and diesel. I was also looking at coupes such as the Merceceds E 350 and the BMW 330 and was also looking at spending £10-£11k on a used version.

However, I have decided to go a different route, simply to save a bit of money so that I can look to get an Alfa Giulia in a couple of years when the used prices have dropped a bit.

I am also now fully wanting petrol following the response I got from me last post (thanks everyone).

So I am looking at a lower price range of £5k - £8k. But for me, never really having had a hatchback, it is a question of which ones are reliable?

My choices seem to revolve around the Civic Type-R GT, Renault Megane Renaultsport, Seat Leon Cupra (or just the FR), Alfa Giulietta, and perhaps also the Golf GTI - unless there is another I am missing but really should consider?

In terms of the Honda - I have had a bomb proof Accord for 6 years and would like to think the Civic is equally bomb proof - yet the odd website seems to refer to the known issues they have. Yet when I try to find these 'websites' I can't.

Any thoughts on a good used 'Hot Hatch'? Or any known issues with any of those mentioned?

Hot Hatches - which one - skidpan

Seat Leon Cupra (or just the FR),

Not driven a Cupra but the regular Leon is still afine car and surprisingly rapid. We had a 1.4 TSi 140 for almost 4 years and never once did I wish for more power, in truth on public roads there is more than enough torque (184 between 1500 and 3500 rpm) that ypou rarely have to venture over 5000 rpm even when overtaking.

When you say FR despite ours being the SE I agree its probably the best choice. The extra kit it has as standard makes it better for starters and providing you stick with the standard 17" wheels the ride is actually fine (even though its better on the SE with 16's).

But do not be tempted with the 1.8 FR. Its on old engine and in the UK the leon is the only VAG car thats used it for several years. It can have an appetite for oil and since in the DSG version it is paired with the chocolate 7 speed dry clutch version its limited to 184 torques, exactly the same as the 1.4 TSi 140 PS and 150 PS. Unless you are thrashing it all the time you will never benefit from the extra power and since the 1.4 is a newer design it is so much smoother and probably quiter as well.

Your upper budget of £8000 should get you into a very nice FR 140 or possibly a 150. Get a test drive in one ASAP, you will be impressed.

One thing to note, the cam belt is due for at change at 5 years or 120,000 miles. Its about £440 at Seat with a waterpump and pulleys and comes with a 5 year warranty. Pay a bit less at an indy and get no warranty.

Skidpan - Just the kind of response I was hoping for.

Certainly the kind of heads up that I won't find on AutoTrader!!!

When skimming some of the sales ad's it probably would have been the 1.8 FR that stood out, so it is good to know that I should consider one of the others.

We do have a Seat dealership near us - hopefully they will have some old used Seats to drive.

also,

If anyone has any equally good insight into any of the other models I mentioned - it would be great to hear.

The Honda Civic Type-R 2007 - 2011 model has 38 owner reviews on Parkers website, only 3 mention any kind of faults (well 4 if you include someone being unhappy they had to change a fuse?!?!?!) so it would appear to have a good record of reliability.

Renault's - I am a bit in the dark about. They look really nice in the Coupe format (circa 2011), but I have only ever had 2 french cars and both were appauling quality.

Hot Hatches - which one - TheGentlemanThug

Not that I've driven one myself, but the ride in a Type-R could be bone-shattering. The normal Civic (which I own) can be rather firm, so I'd hate to think what the Type-R could be like. Perhaps a normal 1.8 would be better? Bombproof reliability and plenty of go when you work the engine.

The Octavia VRS is a good option, assuming it's had the cambelt change. You're more likely to find better examples of it than the Type-R as well.

Hot Hatches - which one - bazza

Any hot hatch bought used is likely to have had a much harder life than a normal hatch. That's why they are purchased in the first place. I would modify your ideas and pick up a full dealer serviced warmish vehicle along skidpans suggestion. Quick enough for our roads. If I absolutely had to buy one myself, it would be a type r Civic from a Honda dealer, if you can find one in budget. A frantic drive though. Octavia vrs is another option but beware engine faults as mentioned on older ones out of warranty. Nice car though.

bazza, thanks for the suggestion.

Given that whatever I opt for is likely to only be kept for a couple of years, or until an Alfa Giulia or BMW 640i become more affordable in the used car market (or I become flush with money somehow) - a 'not quite' hot hatch may be a solution.

even the 170bhp Alfa Giulietta is supposedly quick and nice to drive, as opposed to the full on 235Bhp version - just unsure on reliability.

In my mind I had the thinking of 'get a hatchback for a couple of years, but make sure it is a fast one' simply to maximize the enjoyment of driving it.

But I guess the fastest isn't necessarily the funnest.

Especially if someone has raced around in it for 9 years with their foot flat to the floor.

I shall have a skim of some add's for some of the more middle range hatches and see what I come across.

Hot Hatches - which one - madf

Given modern traffic, a Fiat 500 Abarth is probably very practical.

Hot Hatches - which one - TheGentlemanThug

Some of the most fun cars to drive have hardly any power.

A Fiat Abarth would be such a fun car! We have a 1.1 Panda in the household and it's without doubt the most charismatic car we have ever owned, 50 bhp but every journey feels like a rally drive. Bizarrely, it holds our family record for S Wales to the tip of N Wales in just under 4 hours, across Wales. BRM is right, there's a huge satisfaction from piloting a small low powered car to its max, compared to a sense of frustration perhaps, with something high powered, on our camera infested modern roads. It feels like that a lot on my bike these days.

Hot Hatches - which one - badbusdriver

A Fiat Abarth would be such a fun car! We have a 1.1 Panda in the household and it's without doubt the most charismatic car we have ever owned, 50 bhp but every journey feels like a rally drive. Bizarrely, it holds our family record for S Wales to the tip of N Wales in just under 4 hours, across Wales. BRM is right, there's a huge satisfaction from piloting a small low powered car to its max, compared to a sense of frustration perhaps, with something high powered, on our camera infested modern roads. It feels like that a lot on my bike these days.

That your Wales trip record was done in your Panda does not come as a surprise to me as back in about 1994 i drove home to Aberdeen from (visiting relatives) Wigan in 5 hours in my MK2 Fiesta 1.6 (n/a) diesel!. When new (mine passed 100k on the way down) it had 54bhp and taking away the time stopping for fuel/toilet/food, i averaged about 70mph.

I concur with other about a 'warm' hatch though. Most are plenty fast enough and with a 'full fat' hot hatch, you will always be being challenged at traffic lights, which would undoubtably become tiresome!. Get something which is fast but doesn't shout about it.

Hot Hatches - which one - Engineer Andy

Indeed - a lot of the time its whether a car's good decent mid-range grunt for overtaking as well as at low speeds that makes all the difference. That's why the economical but very nippy VAG 1.4/1.5 TSi 140/150 is so well thought of.

I found the 1.4TSI 122 in a base Scirocco I test drove perfectly decent to drive, so the 140/150PS engine must be a good deal better. I would say that a great handling car with a reasonable powerful engine is a far more enjoyable drive than an average handling car with a powerful engine.

I can certainly attest to that driving my 12yo 1.6 N/A petrol Mazda3; even my Dad's 10yo Fiesta 1.25 (and its older predecessor) was a very enjoyable drive even though that car only had 75-80bhp.

The 1.25 zetec is another great engine, Yamaha designed if I recall. I hired one recently in Spain and it was an excellent drive. Not powerful but as smooth as a Swiss watch and wound up to an indicated 155kph cruise on a late night autoroute trip .Preferable in many ways to my parents 1.0 Ecoboost, which is much quicker but rougher and not as easy to keep on the boil.

Hot Hatches - which one - SLO76
Agree totally with the low power fun sentiment. I’ve covered more miles with a smile on my face behind the wheel of a small lightweight low powered hatch than I have at the helm of powerful performance metal. Especially today with modern electronic power steering and traction control systems robbing most performance cars of any real feel.

Examples that raise a smile includ.

Citroen AX (almost any, even the 1.4 diesel)
Ford Fiesta Mk IV 1.25/1.4 Zetec
Nissan Micra Mk II 1.0/1.3 16v
Rover Metro K series
Peugeot 106
Peugeot 205 TU series
Peugeot 306
Fiat Panda
Fiat UNO Fire

All were a total hoot to drive on almost any road and without licence losing speed.

That said it’s not what the OP is looking for and at this sort of cash a hot hatch is a risky proposition with many abused and crash damaged examples around. All things equal though I’d favour with the Mk II Ford Focus ST or a Honda Civic Type R if you can find a good one. Both are tough and entertaining in their own way and both will hold their value well as they approach modern classic status if you get a good one and look after it properly.

The Ford Fiesta 1.6 Zetec-S, Suzuki Swift Sport or Mazda 2 1.5 Sport are probably the only modern fun to drive mild hatches that come close to the fun of my list above. I supplied a 2 1.5 Sport to a good friend about 4yrs ago and she’s still in love with it.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/10/2018 at 22:56

Hot Hatches - which one - mss1tw

I think a proviso should be made for low power AND good handling/road holding. I can fully see the fun in wringing the neck of something small and light to get the most out of it

As a car lover I was even able to appreciate the good points of my old chugger non-turbo diesel van

However as a daily drive do I want to go back to a 15 second 0 - 60 and having idiots in Audis constantly sat up my chuff? No.

Some serious rose-tinted windscreens in this thread!

Edited by mss1tw on 19/10/2018 at 23:28

Sit at 130 and there’ll still be an Audi up yer trumpet.
Hot Hatches - which one - veloceman
I’ve had a couple of Leon’s and Giuliettas.
Both the 140 and 150bhp Leon FR. Very torquey engine allowing you to drive quickly with little effort and getting a good 50mpg most of the time. I found the SC handled better but the 5dr more refined in my opinion. Both very ordinary inside, try and find alcantara seats as the standard one feel a bit cheap and scratchy. No problems apart from misting up headlights.

The Giulietta is a nicer place to be. The 170 multiair engine gives similar performance to the Leon but you will be looking at 35mpg. Go for a post 2014 if you can - you get revised suspension and far more supportive seats. I had no problems with either of mine apart from a leaky hatch which can affect some cars.
Minor points - the footwell is rather narrow with nowhere to put your clutch foot and there is little storage space so make sure you get the arm rest on the drivers seat.

The Leon is probably a better car if slightly dul.

I have just bought a new Giulia 2.0 Super. 200bhp gives 0-60 in 6.7 secs through fantastic 8sp auto box. Mpg running around is a calculated 36.5mpg with over 40 easily achieved on the motorway.
Driving position is perfect and whilst all is ok the interior is not to the same quality of a BM or a Merc which are similarly priced. Tyres are standard runflats but ride is much better than a 3 series. First saloon I have had so miss the practicality of a hatch.

All I can say is get saving and you won’t regret it!
Hot Hatches - which one - Avant

"Minor points - the footwell is rather narrow with nowhere to put your clutch foot."

You're very tolerant, Veloceman: for me that's quite a major deal-breaker. On a long trip it's surprising how uncomfortable an unsupported left foot can be.

Hot Hatches - which one - veloceman
You are probably right Avant.
I guess after a period of time you get used to it.

But as Alfa owners we learn to be tolerant in many ways - we are a hardy bunch!
Hot Hatches - which one - badbusdriver

I think a proviso should be made for low power AND good handling/road holding. I can fully see the fun in wringing the neck of something small and light to get the most out of it

As a car lover I was even able to appreciate the good points of my old chugger non-turbo diesel van

However as a daily drive do I want to go back to a 15 second 0 - 60 and having idiots in Audis constantly sat up my chuff? No.

All of the cars mentioned will manage to sit at 70mph or more, the maximum legal speed in this country.

As for the notion that the best way to alleviate tailgaters is to drive faster than them?, sorry but that is madness and is simply not going to work. All that will happen is you will inevitably, at some point, get done for speeding or worse. No matter how fast you drive, unless you are an absolute lunatic, there will always be some idiot with scant regard for safe braking distances up your chuff. You obviously feel different, but IMO the best way to deal with them is to let them past asap. I drive at the speed i choose to and i accelerate at the rate i choose to (which, with 70bhp in my Caddy SDI, ain't gonna be that quick under any circumstances!), if some halfwit behind me has a problem with that, tough!.

Drivers these days are constantly bombarded with the notion that they must have more and more power, when they don't. You can thank Clarkson for that, not to mention the motoring press, who all seem to think that a car which takes more than 8 seconds (never mind 15) to hit 60 is way too slow. The performance cars available now are a complete waste of money, apart from bragging rights. You are only going to be able to use a fraction of the power and performance, so what is the point?. And don't give me that, "it is safer to overtake" nonsense, if you can't overtake using a low powered car, then you are simply not a very good driver. And i do speak from lots of experience here. As well as the Fiesta i mentioned earlier from a long time ago, since i met my wife-to-be (who gets a motability car) there has been a VW Polo 1.9D (64bhp), a Peugeot Partner Combi 1.4 petrol (75bhp), and a Daihatsu Sirion 1.0 (68bhp). All 3 were good fun to hustle and all 3 could cover ground much faster than you would expect thanks in equal parts to knowing the roads and knowing how to extract and best use what they had to offer. The most powerful car we have had was a Vauxhall Meriva 1.7CDTI (128bhp). By contrast, while it was quite fast, it was not much fun to drive because of its weight and the narrow power band.

The most fun i have had driving a car in recent history was a Citroen C1 we got as a loan while ours was in the bodyshop. this was a couple of years ago, so the current shape. Essentially the same engine as our Daihatsu, but smaller and lighter, it was brilliant fun!. Bursting with enthusiasm like a little puppy straining on the lead, feeling way faster than the figures would suggest. The benefit of a lack of inertia you see, low weight means quicker off the line (if not to 60mph) and quicker reactions to driver inputs. You'd have to be very determined to beat one of these in an urban environment.

All of the cars mentioned will manage to sit at 70mph or more, the maximum legal speed in this country.

As for the notion that the best way to alleviate tailgaters is to drive faster than them?

I don't mention exceeding 70mph anywhere. Just being able to out-accelerate Mr Angry as my 15 year old heap is just getting on cam as his TDI leasemobile is running out of revs.

Childish? yes. Uneconomical? Yes. Pointless? Yes. Doesn't stop it being a bit of...what's the word, oh yes, fun.

Unsafe, no. If anything I'm increasing the braking distance from my end.

My lane discipline is good so if it's a motorway/dual carriageway and he wants to zoom past once we're at legal speed, that's up to him. He's served to amuse me for a bit, and can now go away.

The 1.25 zetec is another great engine,

I had the 1.7 Zetec in a Puma and it was a great engine but compared to the less powerful 1.8 engine in the 8 valve Golf GTi it lacked torque and in the real world was no quicker, (probably helped by the Golfs lowere weight).

The 1240 engine in the K12 Micra (80 PS like the 1.25 Zetec) was also a great engine and was very economical but whilst quick enough for most circumstances it could never be described as quick. But it loved to rev and take advantage of that and it could be enjoyable.

And don't give me that, "it is safer to overtake" nonsense, if you can't overtake using a low powered car, then you are simply not a very good driver.

Of course you can overtake with a low powered car but with more power and preferably better low down torque overtaking is much easier and safer. Simple fact is the longer you spend on the wrong side the more you are at risk, a quicker car helps minimise that risk. But put that extra power in the hands of a complete numpty (plenty on the roads) and its a recipe for disaster.

Hot Hatches - which one - S40 Man

Suzuki swift sport? 134bhp and 0.60 8.7 seconds so probably a warm rather than hot hatch but according to all the car mags, good fun to drive. You could probably get a nice enough one on your budget.

Hot Hatches - which one - paul 1963

I agree with a swift, doesn't have to be a sport model though, Ive recently said goodbye to mine after 3 thoroughly enjoyable years. Mine was only a 1.2 4x4 with around 90 horses but it proved to be a real drivers car, handled wonderfully and came of course with Suzuki reliability as standard.

Hot Hatches - which one - Ethan Edwards

We just swapped our Ignis for a new Swift SZ5 1 litreturbo. I know its not in the op's budget but give it a few years. Its a serious bit of kit. 109bhp and weighs as much as a thick sweater. But pulls nicely from low down. Thoroughly enjoying it. I also own a Vitara S with the 1.4turbo. Both a hoot.

Hot Hatches - which one - carl233

I had the 1.7 Zetec in a Puma

One of the best engines Ford have made, and 250k miles plus is something that is realistic subject to good oil and filter changes. Most, in fact change that to NO 1.0 turbo units are proven to make that kind of distance without huge additional bills. The Ecoboost unit was only created for a max intended life of 150k miles and that was VERY VERY optimisitic.

Most, in fact change that to NO 1.0 turbo units are proven to make that kind of distance without huge additional bills.

Don't forget that the Japs were producing 1 litre turbos back in the 80's and I have never read that they had issues. Chap up our street had a 1988 Daihatsu Charade GTTi to which he had fitted a huge turbo and exhaust and it went and sounded magnificent, seem to remember it was almost hitting 200 bhp on standard internals. Rust killed it eventually, the shell was still on his garden awaiting restoration. Part of it still lives, the alternator is in my Caterham.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the small turbos from the likes of VAG, Renault/Nissan/Dacia, Peugeot/Citroen, Toyota, Kia/Hyundai etc perform like in the long run but considering some of these have been around for several years now and many must have done decent mileages I have yet to read about an epidemic of failures.

One thing I noticed growing up was that Jap engines just seem to go on and on, not showing a hint of any distress even under abuse or lack of servicing until one day they just let go completely.

Whereas 'other' engines seemed to obviously have stages of wearing out.

Whats the BHP per litre of the ecoboost compared to modern motorcycle engine?

Hot Hatches - which one - drd63
Carl233, be very interested to see your evidence for that statement about ecoboost engines being designed for no more than 150k miles.
Hot Hatches - which one - madf
Carl233, be very interested to see your evidence for that statement about ecoboost engines being designed for no more than 150k miles.

It's a Ford..

“It's a Ford.”

I’ve seen plenty of Ford’s with massive mileages, including a Mk II Granada 2.5d ex taxi with over a million miles on its original engine. Admittedly the best Ford’s in recent years (including that old Granada) have used Peugeot, Yamaha and Mazda designs under the hood but you could cover huge mileages in a Pinto, Essex, Zetec or Cologne engined Ford if it was cared for properly.

The latest 1.0 Ecoboost motors have been built with disposable outlook, they’re not designed with any major repairs in mind in fact it’s not possible apparently to do any major internal repairs at all according to Ford themselves and instead replacement is the only option. That combined with Ford’s desperate cost cutting in an effort to stem ongoing losses have led to a situation where the are producing engines they themselves don’t expect to see 100,000 miles.

I wouldn’t touch any current Ford with a barge pole and coming from someone who once sung the companies praises that’s something. They should’ve stuck with the Japanese for the sake of reliability and with the sharing of development costs I’m sure it wouldn’t have cost them more. Mazda’s Skyactiv petrols would’ve been great in Ford’s mainstream models.

Ford have not been supplying many spares for years. With the first Zetec you had to buy a complete bottom end if you had issues but at least prices were sensible, about £350 exchange. With the later Zetec a full engine was the only option. All I wanted was a crank and bearing set but simply could not find any. Aftermarket bearing sets were available but the only way to get a crank was to buy a used engine and hope it was better than the one you had. Ford did come good, bought a complete brand new engine in a crate including flywheel, clutch, exhaust manifold, inlet manifold/TB/injectors etc etc for £650 + VAT. Sold surplus bits off on e-bay for £200, sold the good bits off the damaged engine on ebay for £400, total cost was £180 and I had a brand new motor.

Same with the Yamaha Zetec and the Mondeo Duratec (4 clinder and V6) but since these engines are popular in motorsport there are now plenty of quality aftermarket parts.

Most things you buy today are use and throw away when they break and car engines are no different. But at least they last a good deal longer than their ancestors did before needing major surgury.

If they last 150,000 miles that is probably more than most cars actually do in their useful life so I don't actually see an issue.

There was an official Ford video on Youtube slobbering all over itsself about the miracle that is the 1.0 Ecoboost unit. The video mentioned that the design life was 150k miles which I thought was low. Then again the industry is working towards cars being nothing more than white goods with a shelf life so this fits in with such a methodology.

There was an official Ford video on Youtube slobbering all over itsself about the miracle that is the 1.0 Ecoboost unit. The video mentioned that the design life was 150k miles which I thought was low. Then again the industry is working towards cars being nothing more than white goods with a shelf life so this fits in with such a methodology.

Most cars (HJ said this once, I believe) have a built-in design life of about 7 years or so, thus 150k isn't that bad unless you do a high mileage. That being said, building in obsolescence at such a low number of years or mileage, especially given the advances in technology and seemingly across the board, is wrong.

I have no problem in them do this IF they give the motorist an alternative product actually designed to last far long (e.g. 20+ years) and which will, guaranteed, have full access to parts at reasonable prices throughout that lifetime.

Most cars (HJ said this once, I believe) have a built-in design life of about 7 years or so

Have you proof of this, I cannot honestly believe that HJ would say that. We sold the Micra at 8 years old and it was fine, no defects. 2 Golfs at 7 years were also fine.

Plenty of cars locally well over 7 years, looking at a 57 plate across the road as I type this.

Hot Hatches - which one - Manatee

7 years sounds credible, On the basis that most cars will last that long. Obviously they don't all die on the day or even in the year after their 7th birthday, but between 7 and maybe 15 the majority of them will be gone. Clearly some are better built and designed, and more reliable than others.

It might have been a myth, but I have seen several references to the original Micra having been designed to last five years. I once borrowed a 20 year-old one.

Edited by Manatee on 25/10/2018 at 18:50

Purchasing more expensive cars in my opinion also does not assure of increased durability. For example a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost in my opinion is not as durable as the KA plus with the 1.25 Yamaha engine. The later with good oil changes could do more than 250k miles the Ecoboost is not going to come close to that.

I remeber now, all the 7 year nonsense comes form a recent post by JohnF where he said that the "AVERAGE" age of a car is now only 7 years.

That does not mean cars die when they are 7 years old. It means that if one car is written of aged 1 day old and another is written off aged 14 years old the average age they died was indeed 7 years.

Think I posted at the time that the DVLA site quoted that the actual average age of cars on the road is now just over 14 years. And a good number of those are Fords.

Just stop moaning and enjoy modern cars for pities sake, you have never had it so good.

Most cars (HJ said this once, I believe) have a built-in design life of about 7 years or so

Have you proof of this, I cannot honestly believe that HJ would say that. We sold the Micra at 8 years old and it was fine, no defects. 2 Golfs at 7 years were also fine.

Plenty of cars locally well over 7 years, looking at a 57 plate across the road as I type this.

I'm sure most do last more than this, but I do definitely remember him writing that, either on the forum or via his agony column in the Telegraph. Its more about cars being economic to keep after roughly that time - for example, I was quoted £900+ to just replace the PS pump on my Mazda3 - a pump that, for a similar spec in the building services industry, that I could buy and have fitted for half the price.

For people like you and me who already budget keeping the car for a reasonable amount of time and make sure they buy a decent new or nearly new one and keep it well maintained throughout its ownership, then they are likely to last much more than 7 years without having to invest huge sums in replacement parts, but for others, who buy a 7yo car that wasn't well-maintained, that's when (IMHO) this sort of thing kicks in, especially for so-called premium marques, e.g. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc.

I know many people who scrimp on servicing/maintenance after the warranty period is up, often using the MOT or a breakdown as a guide to whether a part gets replaced. A former colleague did this and his beemer (younger than my Mazda) expired - he didn't bother to do anything about an oil leak and one day it deposited the entire contents on his drive overnight - he even missed that, started the car an ruined the engine.

Hot Hatches - which one - SteveLee

Break from the hot-hatch crowd, get a Mazda 3 MPS, 0-60 in near-as-damnit 6 seconds 250+ bhp and excellent reliability.

Break from the hot-hatch crowd, get a Mazda 3 MPS, 0-60 in near-as-damnit 6 seconds 250+ bhp and excellent reliability.

For the OP, one of the problems in, say, buying a Mazda3 MPS (I considered both before buying a Mazda3 1.6 petrol) is that, like with the Honda Civic Type R of the same era, both the gen-1 and 2 cars are now into the 'modding' territory and will likely incur huge insurance penalties and won't be as reliable as unmodded cars (not that many MPSs about anyway). The latest Tyre Rs are very expensive compared to the ones that came before.

The Mazda3 MPS gen-2 went out of production 5 years ago, so isn't what you'd call 'new' any more as well, and is coming up to the age when more of the expensive parts need changing out, e.g. suspension, clutch, etc. How many really depends upon how sympathetically its been driven and well maintained it has been, even for cars that aren't modded (I wouldn't touch modded cars with a bargepole).

Unfortunately, many of these cars now ARE modded or maintenance is scrimped on, as quite a lot (but my no means all) are owned by young boy racers, possibly trading up from their old (likely modded) Fiesta, Golf or Saxo.

If Mazda made the current 3 in MPS form, then I'd recommend it in a heartbeat (I might've got one myself [new]), as the only thing lacking in the standard car (even in Sport 165 form) is outright pace and grunt at low and mid-range revs.

HJ has repeated his comment in today's (part 1) Agony Column:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/honest-johns-motoring-ag.../

(See: Eating Habits)

Hot Hatches - which one - paul 1963

Beat me too it Andy :)

Hot Hatches - which one - paul mack
Hi,
I refer to the original question and your budget sx200n.

The Ford Fiesta ST-3 is a car that would fit within your budget and there are a few around with 1 owner / low miles and full service history.

They are great fun to drive, economical and loads of factory fitted equipment including heated seats, reverse camera, sat nav and more.

Yes, it’s a Ford, the same as Alfa’s are Alfa’s etc.

Nb my son drives an ST and loves it, my wife drives a fiesta titanium (8 years old, 24k and never missed a beat).

I drive a Kia Cee’d GT 201bhp Petrol and for me it’s the Mutts Nutts, all the options you could ask for along with a 7 year guarantee.

It’s more than enough for me @ 71 years young and a total Petrol Head!! LOL!

Too sum up, it’s your money, it’s your choice, whatever you decide, enjoy the fun of driving!!

Paul Mack

Whoever was pretending to be Honest John needs to read what they said:

"The design life is around 7 years."

We know that is total nonsense from another recent post where the DVLA site confirms that the average age of a cat on the road is just over 14 years.

"Most will last a longer than that."

The ones that don't will have been written off in accidents

"At least half will be gone before they reach 12 years old."

Thus a considerable number will still be around after 12 years.

Its bad enough having some member posting nonsense, surely we don't want Honest John (or one of his little helpers) joining in as well.

Hot Hatches - which one - corax
We know that is total nonsense from another recent post where the DVLA site confirms that the average age of a cat on the road is just over 14 years.

That's a very good age. Hats off to any feline that's managed to dodge the traffic for that long.

Hot Hatches - which one - Manatee

We know that is total nonsense

We don't know anything of the kind, as I commented 2 days ago.

A design life of 7 years suggests the vast majority should last that long, which they do, Thereafter we might expect that they will die off in increasing proportion of what is left until after a further similar period, more than half have gone. Some will last much, much longer, because they have been well looked after and/or done very little work. Isn't that exactly what they do?

Being designed to last 7 years doesn't mean designed to self-destruct in year 8.

We know that is total nonsense

We don't know anything of the kind, as I commented 2 days ago.

A design life of 7 years suggests the vast majority should last that long, which they do, Thereafter we might expect that they will die off in increasing proportion of what is left until after a further similar period, more than half have gone. Some will last much, much longer, because they have been well looked after and/or done very little work. Isn't that exactly what they do?

Being designed to last 7 years doesn't mean designed to self-destruct in year 8.

Exactly - as an engineer myself, all a 7 year design life would be that the car would be economically viable to run (including repairs) for that long as a minimum. Anything over that would be a bonus, helped if it were driven sympathetically and maintained to a high standard, none of which are guaranteed, especially after the warranty runs out. That's why the KIA 7 year and (to a lesser extent) Hyundai & Toyota 5 year warranties are highly thought of.

Hot Hatches - which one - Avant

I was going to Email HJ and ask him to comment on Skidpan's post, but it's been so admirably answered by Manatee and Andy that I don't need to.

I won't censor Skidpan's post as it tells us more about him than about HJ.

I was going to Email HJ and ask him to comment on Skidpan's post, but it's been so admirably answered by Manatee and Andy that I don't need to.

Why on earth would you consider censoring my post. It only comments on what I see as the total stupidity of the comments posted by one of HJ's staff who clearly has no knowledge of cars that are currently on the road.

Examples of our cars that would currently be over 7 years old bought since 1999:

Kia Ceed - registered September 2010 so 8 years old. MOT valid until September 2019

BMW 118D - registered March 2008 so 10 years old. MOT valid until February 2019

Micra - Registered November 2007 so 11 years old. MOT valid until November 2019

Mini Cooper S - registered July 2005 so 13 years old. MOT valid until March 2019

Puma- registered November 1999 so 19 years old. MOT Valid until July 2019

2 have clearly died, a 2002 Mondeo died in 2016 so 14 years old and a 2005 Focus died in 2018 so 13 years old.

I cannot find any record of a 2005 Micra thus can only conclude it may have a private plate or have been written off before its first MOT, we sold it when it was 2 1/2 years old.

All of our cars have lived longer than 7 years and the 5 bought before 2008 have so far had an average life of 14 years, exactly what the DVLA says which is double the 7 years favoured by this site. And don't forget, that figure of 14 years is still increasing since 3 of the 5 cars are still on the road.

As for other posters agreeing with it are these the same posters who critisise such things as the scrappage schemes when older cars are taken off the road. If there are no old cars why are such schemes so popular.

Lets not forget that cars that are neglected will not live as long. Many owners do not change the oil, cam belts, brake fluid, coolant etc and over time these will lead to instant failure or a slow death.

Why on earth would you consider censoring my post. It only comments on what I see as the total stupidity of the comments posted by one of HJ's staff who clearly has no knowledge of cars that are currently on the road.

Because you seemingly made sweeping statements that appeared to indicate that you hadn't understood the points made and that HJ doesn't write his column any more, with no evidence to back that up. Perhaps you need to understand that, on occasion, you may not be correct or have misunderstood the point another poster was making.

In this case, many of us were making the point that car manufacturers likely design in a minimum economic lifespan of their cars (which probably varies) despite advances in technology so that they can keep selling cars to make decent profits, taking into account how people use and maintain those cars.

IMHO, the average age of cars is not an indicator of this economic lifespan, as many people often feel personally connected to their cars and spend inordinate amounts of money doting on them, or, in an increasing level, many retirees (in an increasing demographic) don't use their car that much, but do enough driving and maintain their car well so that they do last, because they can afford to.

In my view the average car manufacturer has at least up until now concentrated on the younger market (perhaps unwisely) because young and middle-aged people will have higher costs in their lives generally (e.g. paying the mortgage, raising children, etc, etc) than retirees who tend to buy more reliable, less dynamically involving cars that require less maintainance.

The car manufacturers WANT the younger buyers to run their cars into the ground (whether via buying a car they can't really afford, then scrimping on the maintenance and driving it unsympathetically) precisely because they know doing so will gain them a new sale, especially on credit, earning them far more money than the more discerning older buyer who is far more risk averse.

I suspect that the majority of the long-standing backroomers here are more of that type, whether older to start with OR who buck the trend in the youth and middle age and take a more responsible view when buying and running their cars - often because of our upbringing or what sort of career we went into (e.g. one that highly values common sense and level-headedness). We are effectively the exception to the norm in our earlier years.

Just my opinion.

All of our cars have lived longer than 7 years and the 5 bought before 2008 have so far had an average life of 14 years, exactly what the DVLA says which is double the 7 years favoured by this site. And don't forget, that figure of 14 years is still increasing since 3 of the 5 cars are still on the road.

As for other posters agreeing with it are these the same posters who critisise such things as the scrappage schemes when older cars are taken off the road. If there are no old cars why are such schemes so popular.

Lets not forget that cars that are neglected will not live as long. Many owners do not change the oil, cam belts, brake fluid, coolant etc and over time these will lead to instant failure or a slow death.

I think you answered you own question in your last paragraph. I've followed former cars of mine and my family after they were sold, and to the untrained eye it's obvious when the sale took place, as the number of MOT fails and advisories always went through the roof within a couple of years, despite them all being well looked after and driven beforehand (almost all from new/under 2yo to start with) - just because the new owners likely scrimped on the maintenance and/or worked them much harder.

Some people prefer buying an older car they like (especially performance and/or luxury German models) and spending money just (about) keeping it on the road because of its image, even if it costs a lot doing so compared to buying a similar priced oriental car that might be 'uncool' or 'boring' but reliable if well maintained.

A neighbour of mine does this, which ironically means he cannot afford to move to a different (larger) home capable of accommodating all his cars on his property. IMHO he has the wrong priorities - the person buying an £8k BMW 3 series thinking he can run it for the same annual cost and for as long as somone buying an £8k Toyota Auris. They might last as long, but the former has probably spent twice as much keeping it on the road. They are perfectly entitled to do so, but more fool them.

As I've said before with the story of my former colleague destroying his beemer because he couldn't be bothered (or afford to) fix and oil leak - people who fail to budget for the real costs of running a car (and for the worst case, especially foir older/second hand cars, particularly higher performance/luxury ones) only have themselves to blame if they scrimp on maintenance, drive them hard and then it fails in a big way that they can't afford to fix.

Maybe with the increase in the average age of cars, people ARE becoming more responsible, or conversely are just proverbially robbing Peter to pay Paul to keep their beloved car on the road. I don't think such surveys go into sufficient detail for any of us to really know either way, at least at the moment. Almost all cars can survive over 20 years if you put enough money into them.

As regards the OP's original query/request, they IMHO are more likely to be in the 'young person' category wanting cheap thrills whilst keeping their fingers crossed when running it because they probably can't afford the level of maintenance needed to keep it in tip-top condition for many years to come. As many of us have intimated, there's not really any car that fits his bill, and your former Leon 1.4TSI FR is one of the closest - IF he buys one that was well maintained and keeps doing so.