KIA Sportage - KIA warranty when buying used - stuffandblah

I'm thinking of buying a used KIA sportage (3 years old) for a non KIA dealership.

Can anyone tell me what the score is with the warranty when buying used: e.g. is there any documentation that is transferred, how do I know that the warranty isn't void from any work undertaken, does the dealer need to provide a warranty if the manufacturer warranty is still in place?

KIA Sportage - KIA warranty when buying used - skidpan

To stand the best chance of getting the full warranty cover buy only from a Kia dealer with a FULL Kia service history. But even then you need a set of all the receipts and a stamped service book.

Buy form a non Kia dealer with all the above should be OK but DO NOT LET THEM SERVICE THE CAR. Take to a Kia dealer.

The warranty is valuable but servicing costs money. Many owners are either to mean or too stupid to spend the cash and do it right.

BEWARE.

KIA Sportage - KIA warranty when buying used - oldroverboy.

To stand the best chance of getting the full warranty cover buy only from a Kia dealer with a FULL Kia service history. But even then you need a set of all the receipts and a stamped service book.

Buy form a non Kia dealer with all the above should be OK but DO NOT LET THEM SERVICE THE CAR. Take to a Kia dealer.

The warranty is valuable but servicing costs money. Many owners are either to mean or too stupid to spend the cash and do it right.

BEWARE.

Ditto Ditto and Double Ditto.

If the salesman is telling you otherwise walk away.

KIA Sportage - KIA warranty when buying used - paul mack
Hi,
Regarding the query on the KIA ‘brand’ warranty.

I own a KIA Cee’d GT 16 plate, for my last service it was carried out by a NON Main Dealer who, according to the KIA service book MUST ensure that the relevant KIA service schedule is carried out 100% AND ensuring that ONLY KIA parts are used and KIA parts codes are documented on the service invoice in the case of any future warranty claims during the 7 year period.

Following my service at the NON KIA dealership, my car has been back to KIA twice for warranty claims which were honoured 100% without any problems at all (I did have the non Kia garage service invoice with me on both occasions to show the Kia dealership).

To sum up, along with my own experiences , provided you adhere to the above and what is highlighted in the Kia service booklet you can get your car serviced elsewhere and maintain the KIA warranty.

Hope this helps.

Paul
KIA Sportage - KIA warranty when buying used - paul mack
Ps, KIA do have online facilities where they have full details of your car ie servicing/warranty etc, however for servicing, their system will only show the LAST service carried out by KIA.
NB Any warranty claims will be on the KIA system
Thanks
Paul
KIA Sportage - KIA warranty when buying used - stuffandblah

Thanks for clarifying, that does make sense.

The car was serviced back in April this year, so I don't think that the dealer will service it separately. It has full main-dealer service history. This sounds like a bit of a punt then.

Is there any way of checking with KIA prior to purchasing that the warranty is still valid?

The other question I have is about the 7 year warranty... When I spoke to a KIA salesman previously they mentioned DPF & DMF being covered under warranty, however, I've heard otherwise on one of the KIA forums. I've not had a diesel with PDF problems, but I've had a couple with DMF that have been expensive to fix.

KIA Sportage - KIA warranty when buying used - SLO76

Thanks for clarifying, that does make sense.

The car was serviced back in April this year, so I don't think that the dealer will service it separately. It has full main-dealer service history. This sounds like a bit of a punt then.

Is there any way of checking with KIA prior to purchasing that the warranty is still valid?

The other question I have is about the 7 year warranty... When I spoke to a KIA salesman previously they mentioned DPF & DMF being covered under warranty, however, I've heard otherwise on one of the KIA forums. I've not had a diesel with PDF problems, but I've had a couple with DMF that have been expensive to fix.

Yes, you can try calling your local Kia dealer to see if they have access to the cars history online. Most firms do this but I’m not sure Kia are up to date here. Failing that I’d call the servicing dealer to verify they’ve actually seen it. Other than that Kia tend to be ok as long as it has a stamped up book full of Kia dealer stamps. I would be happy with this myself. As for the warranty covering the DMF and DPF well both are technically wear and tear items with a lifespan much shorter than the car. They’ll look at any issues and will possibly strip down to determine if it’s a fault or wear and tear but unless it’s less than 3yrs old and done a low mileage I’d expect most warranties to reject a claim on either.

Yes, you can try calling your local Kia dealer to see if they have access to the cars history online. Most firms do this but I’m not sure Kia are up to date here.

Kia are still in the stone age on this one. They have no national database for a cars service history but quite bizarely thay have a database for campaign and safety updates, how hard would it be to have an extra tab.

Thus to check the history you need the name of the dealer who did each service (service book?) and the reg number. But even then the dealer/s may say no due to data protection.

As for the warranty covering the DMF and DPF well both are technically wear and tear items with a lifespan much shorter than the car.

No idea about DMF (our Ceed did not have one) but the DPF is covered for 7 years but only if failure is due to a manufacturing defect. How does the owner prove that?

KIA Sportage - KIA warranty when buying used - SLO76
“No idea about DMF (our Ceed did not have one) but the DPF is covered for 7 years but only if failure is due to a manufacturing defect. How does the owner prove that?”

It’s a bit of a risk. I’ve had two clutches replaced under warranty, one on a VW Caddy Van and the other on a Honda CRV both due to clutch judder. I was informed in both cases that the dealer would strip it down and inspect and if it was found to be faulty the warranty would cover it but if it was found to be wear and tear I’d have to cover it. VW never quibbled but Honda took a while to accept the problem existed to start with. A prematurely clogged DPF is likely to be seen as inappropriate use.

It’s a bit of a risk. I’ve had two clutches replaced under warranty, one on a VW

I had a Golf which developed an issue with just under 20,000 miles on the clock. Basically about 50% of the time you could not get the car into first when stationary (with the engine running). Try reverse and the noise was dreadful. Simple solution was to turn off, engage gear and start engine. never noticed it lurched but I guessed that the clutch was deformed or similar.

Talked it through with the garage, I suggested clutch but they said selector issues so I left it with them. On collection at the end of the day they handed me the keys and no bill. Asked what it was and was told the clutch. Me 1 garage nill.

KIA Sportage - KIA warranty when buying used - Engineer Andy

Given normally that KIA/Hyundai are near or at the top of the tree as regards their warranties, you'd think that they woul have a national database for servicing and repair work.

What I'd be very wary of is how non-franchised garages can prove that they've always used manufacturer's parts or (as allowed) parts of equal quality/performance (as I believe the EU rules state) in order to stay within the bounds of the warranty, as long as the vehicle keeps to its service schedule or better.

Whether they (or any independent for them or other makes) can then input the servicing etc data into the manufacturer's database is another matter - I mean how can it be proven unless such garages are regularly inspected to check? Once last year's/service consumables are removed, no-one can tell what was fitted, only what's in the car now.

Certainly a risk going to a non-franchised garage when you're buying a car with a decent warranty length. As regards service stamps, these can and are increasingly faked, so I'd go for the receipts, but even then they don't often give all the details about the parts and consumables used.

Even some main dealers are now offering aftermarket parts when there are shortages of OEM ones - my Mazda main dealer offered me an alternative clutch (in that case, it was a Bosch) because the Mazda one was on a 3-week back order. My car was out of warranty by quite a few years, but I still went with the OEM part as the cost was only £10 or so cheaper and I knew my existing clutch would last the extra time.

If I bought a new KIA/Hyundai or was in the market for a used one, I'd make damn sure that I got it looked after at a main dealership and that, for the used one, it had a 100% certifiable main dealer history and the warranty was guaranteed by buying it through a main dealer. Not so much for other makes out of warranty if the car was far older, as long as it had a decent quality FSH, with main dealer during its warranty period at the very least.