Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - J0HNuk

I have been parking on the road opposite my house for ten years, since I moved in with my partner. She parks on the drive. I hadn't had a problem at all until some lowlife moved in opposite, around six months ago. He lives in the end flat and wants to park on the end. I have every right to park there, and do so if I'm there first. If he parks there I don't have a problem, it's a free country.

The first time he mentioned it, I explained that it isn't his space, anyone can park there. The next time he had more to say, and quickly got himself very angry without me saying anything at all. Today he was ranting and raving, I couldn't understand him but heard something along the lines of . . 'I will park there and block you in and stop you from going to work'. I could take that as a threat but I'm happy to leave it and continue to park there if I get there first.

I have a feeling he is going to get more aggresive, more threatening and maybe do something daft. I doubt the police would be interested in squabbles over a parking space... so does anyone have any advice? There are a few other spaces (usually) but not within sight of my house. Why should I park down the street just to keep the peace? I could park elsewhere and watch someone else park in 'his' space, and we'll be no better off.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Bilboman

Park where you like. Keep a mobile phone in an outside pocket; set it to record if you see Captain Caveman approach. Could your other half record any confrontation from a window as well? Assuming you don't end up in Casualty, a couple of recordings of his threatening behaviour and a visit from the BiB should sort him out.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Leif

Park where you like. Keep a mobile phone in an outside pocket; set it to record if you see Captain Caveman approach. Could your other half record any confrontation from a window as well? Assuming you don't end up in Casualty, a couple of recordings of his threatening behaviour and a visit from the BiB should sort him out.

That is what I would do. I would simply park where I wished, and be calm and polite to this chap. He sounds like an unpleasant bully. If you do get a recording of threats, visit the police, and they will visit him. This does open you to more abuse though. I suppose you could submit to his bullying, but I'd rather stay calm and polite and park where I want. I did once park where someone didn't want me. The next day there was a large dent in the car wing. So recording threats in that case would have been useful. Some people are nasty, there have always been such types.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - badbusdriver

Really depends on how far you want to push it. Like you say, you have every right to park there if it is a public road. The Police may not be interested in your having words over a parking space, but i'd imagine they might should things become physical. If you plan to keep parking your car there, i'd suggest maybe having a camera mounted in a position that would take in where you park. This could be done under the guise of covering your partners car, for security reasons, but if something physical does happen, it wouldn't just be his word against yours.

Now, to be devils advocate, much as you have every right to park there, i'd say there is a kind of unspoken rule, that would prevent me from doing so. I have lived somewhere with very restricted parking and it was an absolute nightmare. So while i do not in any way approve of your neighbour's behaviour, i can well understand how frustrating it is if you can't park outside your own house. Like you say, if you don't park there, someone else, other than him, could well park there anyway. But from my point of view, as someone who will try to shy away from any confrontation(!), i'd park somewhere else, assuming you can do so within a reasonable distance.

Another possibility would be looking at your partners drive and working out if you could get two cars on there if they were smaller?

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - SLO76
“I have been parking on the road opposite my house for ten years, since I moved in with my partner. She parks on the drive.”

Is there room for two cars on the drive? Bit of a pet hate of mine as a bus driver that people park on the road instead of their empty driveway. Doesn’t annoy me enough to cause a fight but I certainly always use my drive rather than sit on the street.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Bromptonaut
Bit of a pet hate of mine as a bus driver that people park on the road instead of their empty driveway.

Not a bus driver but I have that pet hate too. We're lucky where we are now as we can park cars side by side on drive. At previous house we could get two, possibly three if all small, but tandem/line astern. On weekdays I usually left first and arrived home last but as she had the 'family' car and mine was a station hack they often ended in wrong order on a Sunday. Only took five minutes to shuffle them on Sunday evening but it looks as though few folks locally nowadays think like that now.

OTOH my neighbour Tim deserves a medal for this stuff. They have a family car, his work van and two grown up offspring still at home who commute by car. At weekends offspring's boyfriend/girlfriend add to mix. They get three cars on the drive with one blocking other two in and just one on road outside - others are left further down road where there's loads of space outside community hall.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/09/2018 at 21:03

Thanks for the replies. I did look into knocking down a wall and adding gravel so we could park side by side, but I haven't had a problem for 10 + years. Hopefully we'll be moving next year, so I think I'll try to park a little further away when I can. If I limit the time I park in 'his' space, maybe he'll keep his anger in check til we move.

I do have a window overlooking, so I think I'll put a canera there anyway.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - SLO76
Pick your fights in life... a parking space that saves you a thirty second walk isn’t worthy of the worry.
Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Smileyman

Remember the guy knows where you live.

Everything you say may be correct but even if you get police involved, an upset lowlife might do something stupid, regret may set in later but always better avoided in the first place.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - oldroverboy.

I had a similiar problem a few months back. A neighbour parks his van and obstructs another neighbours driveway/dropped kerb and is afraid of confronting him. I cannot get involved in her dispute, but when he blocked my driveway as her mum was parked in front of her driveway, and I had the temerity to ask him to move at 8.54 pm so that I would not have to wake him up at 3 in the morning if the phone went and SWMBO was called into the hospital on call. (if the Phone goes she hs 20 minutes to be on the ward.)

It set off a chain of events that is still being felt 6 months on.

What makes me smile this morning is that someone hs parked their car in the road in front of his house, Public parking, no dropped kerb.. I don't know who it is and don't care but it is amusing to see them "look" at it when passing.

Is your life worth it?

We buried my nephew last week. Reason? neighbourly dispute got out of hand. knife produced.. result... 1 dead nephew.

Here, now, after this, won't get involved. not the same area, but let everyone do as they want. They can shout at each other, whatever, swear, whatever, park wherever they wish. Police and council not interested in enforcing dropped kerbs, not interested period in noise disturbance, littering, dumped cars.

I don't drive into town anymore, but dare to use a bus lane, straying into it to let an emergency vehicle pass, or stop to drop someone off....

Edited by oldroverboy. on 14/09/2018 at 07:38

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - davecooper

Society is getting more aggressive, more selfish and generally more ignorant. Not sure why but I'm sure plenty of people will have their theories.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Chris M

I'd knock the wall down and add gravel. Solves your immediate problem and if done well will add curb appeal to your property and should help future sale. Prospective buyers may need parking for two cars. Also, if they ask whether you have any problems with the neighbours, how will you answer?

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - drbe

Society is getting more aggressive, more selfish and generally more ignorant. Not sure why but I'm sure plenty of people will have their theories.

Not true

Quote ONS Homicide Rates

" to the year ending March 2015, the volume of homicides has generally decreased while the population of England and Wales has continued to grow."

There you are, so that's official.

Not true

Quote ONS Homicide Rates

" to the year ending March 2015, the volume of homicides has generally decreased while the population of England and Wales has continued to grow."

Are you seriously trying to sugest that because there are less homicides, society is not getting more aggressive, selfish or ignorant?!.

There is a bit of a leap from behaving aggressively and killing someone!

Not true

Quote ONS Homicide Rates

Are you seriously trying to sugest that because there are less homicides, society is not getting more aggressive, selfish or ignorant?!.

There is a bit of a leap from behaving aggressively and killing someone!

Statistics do support less violent crime today than in the past, some say due to the removal of lead from petrol, but reasons are unclear. In my view the streets are less violent. But it does depend where you live, some areas do feel threatening. As to society being more selfish, I don’t think so, but that’s just my perception. As to ignorant, well education has been on the up for decades.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Andrew-T

<< As to society being more selfish, I don’t think so, but that’s just my perception. As to ignorant, well education has been on the up for decades. >>

It's rather broad-brush to say 'society is selfish', but I feel that everyone is encouraged to be more 'me-me' these days, with less thought for the common good. And 'ignorant' does not necessarily have much to do with having been educated.

The OP's case is a mild example of Road Rage, which is not uncommon.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - davecooper

Example: A kid was with his mother walking back from school past our house. Kid started knocking the tops off the flowers. Wife asks him not to do that. Mother gets aggressive, says she is the only one who can tell her child off and tells my wife she will "have her" if she does it again. Would that have happened 20 years ago, very uinlikely.

I think post Thatcher, we have become more selfish and money orientated. That's my view, I am sure many will say this isn't true. I also think people are less able to handle even mild stress these days and become aggressive as a result. As they say, the more people I meet, the more I respect my cats.

I can think of utterly awful behaviour 40 years ago on residential streets. There were estates you’d not want to walk around. I’ve heard similar stories more recently, ten years ago, so I’m unconvinced.

What has impressed me is how polite most youngsters are these days, maybe because they were brought up with respect, rather than “shut up and don’t get in the way” as was the norm 40+ years ago, where children were to be seen and not heard.
Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - SteveLee

Not true

Quote ONS Homicide Rates

Basically murder is rarely called murder these days, nearly always downgraded to manslaughter, also we have paramedics on motorbikes stabilising knife victims even before the well-equipped ambulance staffed with more paramedics arrives, we also have mobile phones to get immediate assistance. Imagine we transported today's population back to the 1960s. where, upon being stabbed, one would have to be discovered by a third party (no possibility of the victim calling 999 on his mobile), the discoverer would then have to find a working phone box, to call the “ambulance” – a van where two bury blokes will chuck you in the back when it eventually arrives, if you make it to hospital in time with some blood left – bonus. Now look at the various stats that are effectively “wounding with intent” gone from tens of thousands per year in the 1950s to several hundred thousands now, a large number of these would be homicides if it wasn’t for modern medical and communication advances.

As they say about damn lies and statistics – there’s little doubt life in the UK has become vastly more violent since the 1950s – despite the politicians and police doing their damnedest to hide the damage they’ve done to our once civilized nation.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - TheGentlemanThug

I can understand why people wouldn't want to rock the boat, and if you're moving house then I'd be inclined to agree. That said, why should you tolerate behaviour like that? If you show weakness and let him have his way then where does it stop?

Is he living in that flat by the grace of the local Housing Association? If so, I bet they'd love to know about his aggressive behaviour.

The situation doesn't have to descend into fisticuffs before the police will get involved. He's already committed an offence under Section 5 of the Public Order Act, although it's your word against his right now. Record everything he says and does to you, your family and your property, even if it's not related to the parking issue. Pass it to the police and the Housing Association (if applicible).

Like I said, I can understand why people wouldn't want to get involved, but dregs like this shouldn't be allowed to get their own way.

I can understand why people wouldn't want to rock the boat, and if you're moving house then I'd be inclined to agree. That said, why should you tolerate behaviour like that? If you show weakness and let him have his way then where does it stop?

Is he living in that flat by the grace of the local Housing Association? If so, I bet they'd love to know about his aggressive behaviour.

The situation doesn't have to descend into fisticuffs before the police will get involved. He's already committed an offence under Section 5 of the Public Order Act, although it's your word against his right now. Record everything he says and does to you, your family and your property, even if it's not related to the parking issue. Pass it to the police and the Housing Association (if applicible).

Like I said, I can understand why people wouldn't want to get involved, but dregs like this shouldn't be allowed to get their own way.

I have high blood pressure, an ectopic heartbeat, and no wish to end up like my nephew, who leaves 3 kids, the youngest is 11 years old. Council, Police and Landlord don't give a fig. (and in his case certainly didn't.) The perpetrator has pleaded not guilty m'lud.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 14/09/2018 at 13:06

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - John Boy

Is there any reason, JOHNuk, why you can't park one of your cars on the road next to the entrance to your drive?

Is there any reason, JOHNuk, why you can't park one of your cars on the road next to the entrance to your drive?

Yes. Our house is an end terrace and our drive (it's more like a yard) is at the back and goes onto the narrow back lane. The front of the house has a bus stop (yes, it's a fantastic location!), hence I park across the road.

These replies are exactly what's going through my mind..why should I give in to a bully?.. just do anything to keep the peace.. etc

The reason for not opening up the drive is.. mainly lack of funds. I'm paying a morgage for my own house which my ex is refusing to leave), and the house in question is my partners. She is reluctant to change the drive as it will be quite hard to get in (narrow lane) and she wants to move without spending a penny. I kind of agree, and as soon as my ex gets out and we sell my old house (or she buys me out) we'll be laughing and afford to move to a much better area.

To add to the story, there is a continuing issue with anti social behaviour. With the houses being cheap, they get bought by private landlords (especially the flats) and rented out to anyone. There are 6 flats, at least three have been evicted and have new (equally low) lowlifes living there. The person concerned is just typical of these people, probably needs a car to report to his parole officer every week.

I think the basic difficulty is that no-one has the entitlement to park his car on the public road, even outside any property he owns, but as a rule it is accepted as long as there is enough space. Usually it is considered an offence to obstruct an entry with a dropped kerb. The public road is primarily for traffic, i.e. vehicles to pass and re-pass without obstruction, so if your car (or your neighbour's) obstructs an essential vehicle such as a fire engine or ambulance there might be more important consequences.

Best not to make too many waves I guess.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - SteveLee

I have high blood pressure, an ectopic heartbeat, and no wish to end up like my nephew, who leaves 3 kids, the youngest is 11 years old. Council, Police and Landlord don't give a fig. (and in his case certainly didn't.) The perpetrator has pleaded not guilty m'lud.

ORB - started non-motoring thread...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/126423/oldroverboy...h

Is he living in that flat by the grace of the local Housing Association?

It's a private landlord, who seems to own six flats in this street and more in the next village. The police get on his back and he just moves the tennants around. The previous occupant was also a total nutter, but didn't drive!

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - James2018

Years ago, our first house had a shared car park with allocated spaces but my neighbour was an a*** and often parked in ours. When we complained he let his huge dogs defecate on our lawn.

Bib weren't interested so I got an old banger from a scrap dealer for £20 and left it on his space.

It took weeks for him to get it removed and when it was, I arranged for an unpainted skip to be put there with rubbish in it. No skip company wanted to move a skip that wasn't theirs and he soon got the message.

The dog poo continued for a while until I scooped a lot up and put it through his letter box in the middle of the night.

He came round first thing in a fighting mood, hammering on the door and armed with a bat. It was a good thing that I had invited the local community bobby around to discuss vandalism on the allotments next to our house at the time and he was there on time, having a cup of coffee and cake and witnessed the angry neighbour with bat and arrested him. We exchanged contracts the following week and left the area.

Had to appear in court though and the scrote got a £150 fine lots of hours cleaning up rubbish.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Lanny

Oh dont gey get me started on parking issues! Weve had numerous issues with the neighbours at either side of us regarding parking. Neighbour to the left doesnt have a car but likes to moan about where we park. Other side do have a car but they have a drive

Before i got rid of mine, there was ample parking space for both mine and other halfs cars infront of our house without having to park anywhere near the front of either of theirs. Across the road though theres 3 houses with a car each and no drives. So we and they have to park on the road. And slightly on the pavement as its not the widest of roads.

I came back from somewhere one day and a random car was parked in my space for a good hour or so. Which meant my bumper was about 2 feet infront of the neighbours house- no where near the entrance to their drive may I add. The bloke pulled my 11 year old son, rather than approach me, and told him quite bluntly to ask me to move my f***ing car! Charming!

Just recently, when my car had the oil leak, I was parked infront of MY HOUSE but the neighbour at the other side pulled me and started mouthing saying "If it rains that oil is going to run down infront of my house and if i walk it in my house" bla bla bla.

They've moaned about bin men not being able to get up the street which is a load of crap but they wont pull anyone else about it, just us, probably because we see them more often.

Made me laugh the other day actually, was outside checking oil levels on car, told her next door I was getting rid. She asked what was wrong so told her engine failure, burning oil, failed test on emissions etc. She said to get it on drive or id end up with it clamped if "Tax van" comes round. So tried explaining it was still taxed, just no test. And guess what? Day after who should come round? The "tax van" as she calls it.

Coincidence or someone with a big mouth??? I wonder eh.

Well said "tax van" drove straight past my car hahaha. Boy was i laughing inside hehehehe.

I’ve never understood why neighbours get unpleasant. Where I live we all get on, apart from Mr and Mrs nasty who have since moved. They went out of their way to be nasty. Why? It didn’t gain them anything but cost them goodwill, and help,if they needed it.
Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Lanny

I agree.

Our neighbours moan about everything, from car parking to the kids playing on the street.

One of them set a rumour going that there was a dodgy bloke in a car watching the kids playing so all 6 weeks holiday, not a kid in sight on our street.

I appreciate they are quite elderly but its beyond a joke.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - bananastand

a few years ago HJ in the Daily Telegraph print version suggested getting a few burly mates to park their van in "his" space

when he comes out, as he thinks it's "your" van, he faces your mates who ask him what his issue is

I would call that effective but high risk. Ha ha

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Theophilus

346 GNU

Am I the only BR contributor who on reading this post can't help but hum the tune of Flanders & Swann song "The Gnu"?

346 GNU

Am I the only BR contributor who on reading this post can't help but hum the tune of Flanders & Swann song "The Gnu"?

All sorts of things from Gasmen to Madeira or mention of De Gaulle have me humming Flanders and Swan tunes.......

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Theophilus

All sorts of things from Gasmen to Madeira or mention of De Gaulle have me humming Flanders and Swan tunes.......

Ah but ... in introducing The Gnu, Michael Flanders relates the frustration of finding a car, registration 346 GNU, always parked outside his house, occupying the one spot he can transfer from his wheelchair to car & vice-versa, and the lengths he goes to in an attempt to keep the space vacant

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - madf

a few years ago HJ in the Daily Telegraph print version suggested getting a few burly mates to park their van in "his" space

when he comes out, as he thinks it's "your" van, he faces your mates who ask him what his issue is

I would call that effective but high risk. Ha ha

As a student , the weightlifting club I belonged to used to pick up a member's car and park it somewhere totally impossible to get out of..

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - barney100

That happened to a student bandmaster at Kneller Hall. His Mini was found 'parked' at the top of the rock...a large Semi circular concrete bandstand with many steps.... nobody knew anything.

Doing a holiday job with a building company in my youth, i witnesses one bricky's Mini pickup being put on a site office roof using a forklift!.

As a student , the weightlifting club I belonged to used to pick up a member's car and park it somewhere totally impossible to get out of..

When I was in early twenties I was a member of a youth hosteling group. Bit of a jape at places with tight parking to lift rear of a car and turn it across it's space.....

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - angryflat12

Bit late to reply but I have a similar issue with an old **** living in the flat across my landing. He takes my space 9 days out of 10 and actually times when he comes home so it's when I'm collecting my children from school. He has also been seen simply going out and moving his car straight into my space! I'd like to punch him in his face (he is extremely punchable and a rude disgusting old ****). He also conned the widow he lives with into taking him in.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Moved to Legal matters

ORB. moderator.

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/04/2021 at 16:41

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - bathtub tom

my space

Please define "my space"? Do you pay for it?

my space -- Please define "my space"? Do you pay for it?

As we are talking 'flats' there may well be allocated spaces ? If so, a gentle invitation to use his own space might be called for.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Engineer Andy

my space -- Please define "my space"? Do you pay for it?

As we are talking 'flats' there may well be allocated spaces ? If so, a gentle invitation to use his own space might be called for.

As someone who lives in a flat where we have allocated spaces, this sort of thing is fraught with problems:

Sometimes (as it was where I live) the spaces are not marked. They will be on the leasehold agreement, but how many people read and have quick access to that, especially tenants (who won't and normally are THE worst offenders in using other people's spaces or visitor bays).

Trying to be nice to such people will mostly fail, but I agree that it's certainly worth trying. Then go to the residents association/local council (whoever runs the development) who should then get involved.

Sometimes if it's a tenant, the letting agency/BTL owner can help, but mostly they try and stay out, at most they'll send out a polite letter with no 'or else' bit, because they'd rather have their fees than the tenant move out. Rarely do they car about neighbours, but occasionally they do.

These sort of incidents tend to follow a pattern of other bad behaviour from said people - late night noise, littering, badly behaved kids, etc. Only when it's a new neighbour who mistakes your space for theirs (my development's spaces are numbered by plot and not property number), and that problem usually resolves itself quickly after a quick chat.

If the spaces aren't marked, then the residents association should do so asap, including visitor bays. They should also issue the parking rules to everyone as a separate 'document' (including BTL owners and all local letting agencies/estate agents to coop for new tenants) so there is NO ambiguity. It also means that visitors are far less likely to temporarily 'borrow' a resident's allocated space. Delivery drivers gnore them and just park anywhere.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - alan1302

Delivery drivers gnore them and just park anywhere.

I don't have an issue with that - usually deliveries are done right away and they won't be hanging about.

Neighbour getting aggressive re parking on road. - Engineer Andy

Delivery drivers gnore them and just park anywhere.

I don't have an issue with that - usually deliveries are done right away and they won't be hanging about.

I should've said delivery drivers and contractors in vans. Even with delivery drivers, they often aren't just parked up for 30 seconds, especially when delivering to flats. Some park in front of people's cars or on the opposite side of the road, meaning you don't have space to get in or out of your parking space.

I don't see why I should have to risk my car being ticketed parking in either someone else's allocated space, on the road (also not allowed [obstructs other vehicles due to the roads being narrow]) or in a visitor space, especially when there are often more than enough visitor spaces (including next to my allocated space!) available. It''s just sheer laziness on their part.

Having to put with this on a regular basis is not good. We had to get a parking control firm to patrol (unadopted roads) to reduce this problem. The issue with vans is now worse because of how many home deliveries there are and more people working at home, meaning there are less 'empty' spaces near each building. Van drivers tend to take the nearest to the building/easiest to get in/out of.