Difficulties when selling a car privately - darryl carrick

Hi everyone,

i'm new to the forum but a massive car nut, particularly classic and performance cars.

I wanted to ask a question that would help me out with a project i'm currently in the very very early stages of. it's quite a simple question, and because i want a genuine set of responses that aren't led by my idea, i'm not as yet going to reveal what my project is about.

the question is as follows:

As enthusiasts, when selling a car privately, is it difficult to convey the level of care afforded to a car before the potential buyer comes to view it?

if the answer is yes, can you describe the most difficult part? and if it is no can you describe what you do to overcome the issue?

Thanks in advance, also if anyone has any particularly relevent information or stories on this please feel free to Dm me,

Darryl

Edited by darryl carrick on 12/09/2018 at 15:56

Difficulties when selling a car privately - FP

"...if anyone has any particularly relevent information or stories on this please feel free to Dm me"

AFAIK there is no DM or PM facility on this website.

Difficulties when selling a car privately - darryl carrick

oops, red face moment :D

thanks for the heads up, i'll edit the post

Difficulties when selling a car privately - badbusdriver

Not sure i understand the question, or indeed what your aim is with it?. If you want a potential buyer to understand how much you have put into the car you are selling, describe it as such. Details on servicing, work done, restoration, upgrades etc. Pictures too (not the rubbish ones you often see with poor lighting, with the car out of focus or even the image being upside down), the more the merrier.

It isn't rocket science?

Difficulties when selling a car privately - madf

Pictures of underneath and engine bay tell a story. Most sellers don't do those.

Also invoices, hours spent etc..

Difficulties when selling a car privately - RobJP

Basically, the more information you can provide, the better.

For example.

Advert 1.

Full service history.

Advert 2.

First service carried out at 8k miles. Oil, filter, general inspection.

Second service carried out at 16k. Oil, filter, air filter. Brakes stripped and cleaned

Third service carried out ... etc, etc.

All services documented and receipted.

------------------------------

I always say that the devil is in the detail. You need to make private buyers want your car more than they do another car, by providing them with lots of details

Edited by RobJP on 12/09/2018 at 18:55

Difficulties when selling a car privately - Avant

Whatever the 'project' is that you have in mind - it sounds as if there is more to it than simply selling your own car - there's a simple principle to keep to in anything you write or put online:

THINK OF THE READER.

Who is going to look at what you write? What do they want from it? And as Rob so rightly implies, you need them to want your product / service more than someone else's.

Difficulties when selling a car privately - Gibbo_Wirral

A picture of all the receipts piled up is a very good start.

Difficulties when selling a car privately - Terry W

Interesting. A big pile of invoices suggests a complete lemon, the only question being how large and how frequently the pile will be added to.

All I want is to be re-assured that the car has been serviced regularly and apropriately. A test drive is far more important an indicator of condition than a catalogue of things which needed fixing in the past.

Difficulties when selling a car privately - skidpan

When I sold our Micra (originally dads car) it was almost 8 years old with a full dealer service history. It only had 7 receipts and 5 MOT's (1 current, 4 previous). Never required any more garage visits.

So the comment:

A big pile of invoices suggests a complete lemon

makes some sense.

Difficulties when selling a car privately - Happy Blue!

The last time I sold a car privately, I advertised it as being in good condition, full service history with paperwork as proof.

When the buyer arrived, everything was ready for him to peruse before he drove the car, including all the paperwork and the spare key. He was happy and wrote to me afterwards saying how pleased he was that I had made it easy for him.