Audi A4 Avant or VW Golf - Which VAG estate? - Strawberry
I’m looking at changing my current 1.9 TDI 56 plate Golf Match for an estate as we now have baby and a dog and just need a bit more space. I want to stick with the VW group as I love my Golf. The Passat / Superb is a bit big so I’m stuck between a A4 Avant and Golf estate (the Skoda Octavia possibly but friends have them and they feel a bit plasticy / not as solid?).
So... I will be buying a used car probably 4-5 years old.....
1. A4 Avant vs Golf Estate
2. Petrol vs Diesel of above .... hilly rural roads mostly short journeys, some longer ones now and then, I do less than 10000 a year. Do petrols die before diesels? My current car is still going strong at 136000 and no issues yet!
3. Which engine of the above for a lovely drive, ability to overtake and cope with hills but also good fuel economy?
I’ll probably keep the car for many years if I love it.
Audi A4 Avant or VW Golf - Which VAG estate? - SLO76
What’s your budget?
Audi A4 Avant or VW Golf - Which VAG estate? - BMW Enthusiast

The Volkswagen Golf would be cheaper to buy and run but the Audi A4 Avant is nicer inside and out. Skoda Octavia is certainly not to be sniffed at. It's a good car but you get what you pay for. You don't need a diesel if you're covering 10,000 miles per year. There's not a lot of choice out there because when purchased new these cars were more popular with a diesel engine. 1.4 TSI VW Golf or 1.8TSI Audi A4 Avant petrol engines. Avoid DSG or as Audi call them S Tronic auto gearboxes.

Yes that’s as far as I got although golf also has a bigger boot. Will both the a4 and golf hold a resale value and what’s the lifespan of a petrol engine these days and resale value of a petrol? I know several people with diesels that have done over 200000!
The lack of choice of diesels also a contributing factor, very few have come up on the used car sites. I wasn’t sure if petrols were suited to hilly terrain without getting a fuel guzzling monster! As I’m in a rural area it’s not as easy as having several within a reasonable distance to test drive (especially petrol)
This can’t be answered without knowing your budget. Is it £5,000 or £25,000?
Audi A4 Avant or VW Golf - Which VAG estate? - Wee Willie Winkie

Doesn't the statement of intent of looking at 4-5 year old examples negate the need to know the budget?

Doesn't the statement of intent of looking at 4-5 year old examples negate the need to know the budget?

No, there’s a wide range of values within that scope and often posters are over ambitious as to what their funds will buy them. A budget is required to give realistic options and a rough location helps if they want local suggestions.
Audi A4 Avant or VW Golf - Which VAG estate? - badbusdriver

Curious choice of cars, a Golf or an A4?. Especially given the comment that a Passat is a bit too big. It may well be, but as it is more or less the same size as a Passat, surely it is also a bit too big?.

Audi A4 Avant or VW Golf - Which VAG estate? - badbusdriver

Curious choice of cars, a Golf or an A4?. Especially given the comment that a Passat is a bit too big. It may well be, but as it is more or less the same size as a Passat, surely it is also a bit too big?.

Doesn't make sense does it?!

What that meant to read was that as the A4 Avant is more or less the same size as a Passat estate, surely the A4 is also a bit too big?.

Audi A4 Avant or VW Golf - Which VAG estate? - Senexdriver
I can speak from experience about the A4 Avant, but mine is a B9 and possibly beyond the poster’s budget. Mind you, given the amount the trade-in value has plummeted since I bought it new 2 years ago, it could well be within budget now! In case it might help, mine is a 2 litre petrol automatic and a real delight to drive. I know the objections to the DSG transmission before the non-fans start.
Audi A4 Avant or VW Golf - Which VAG estate? - Avant

Have a good look at a petrol manual Octavia estate, Strawberry, The plastics may be a little harder than in an A4, but they are just as sturdy and will last a long time. I had three Octavias and to me at least they didn't feel any cheaper inside than the Golf estate that preceded them or the Audi Q2 I have now.

The best engines are the 2.0 petrol in the vRS and the 1.4 TSI.

Audi A4 Avant or VW Golf - Which VAG estate? - Engineer Andy

Your existing car is of an older design and likely less susceptible to problems (mainly the DPF, but others too) associated with using them for short trips from cold - modern diesel HATE this sort of journey and that's why for someone doing under 20k miles a year would recommend a petrol engined car unless very heavy loads (towing etc) were carried very regularly.

Don't forget that a diesel engined car will be more expensive to buy, service, insure, and, if some major component fails, fix. You'd only make your money back if you did well over 20k miles a year made up of longer distance, 60mph+ driving. Modern petrol engined cars (standard ones, not high performance) are more reliable than modern diesels because, up until now, they didn't have much complex emissions control devices and are better suited to urban driving.

Given you seem to also keep your cars for a long while, or buy one out of warranty (and thus well under 50% of its original RRP) and sell it when its very old, low depreciation won't make much of a difference when it comes to selling a 12yo car. If you want to only consider VAGs (don't get a DSG auto - they are unreliable for engines under 2.0 ltrs, average for ones of 2.0 and above and aren't suited to town driving), perfhaps you could consider a SEAT Leon ST 1.4 TSI 150PS. You should be able to get 45+ mpg average and its a decent performer.

If you are concerned with driving in a rural area with poor quality roads that is reasonably hilly, regularly sees bad weather and a reasonable amount of snow (not cleared/salted), then whatever you get, I'd advise either getting it shod in all season tyres or, if you have space to store them, a set of winter tyres (and possibly steel wheels [check with the dealer as to what is allowed - some winter tyres can only be matched with smaller wheels and thus need to be higher profile than the summer ones to compensate) in addition to the summer ones on the car as standard. Far cheaper than getting a 4x4 which can be expensive on the jungle juice and repairs should it go wrong, and often grips better in really poor conditions in winter.

Thank you all who have replied. The petrols are few and far between but I see how it makes sense to wait and track one down. What’s the life span mileage of a petrol these days?
Budget is my car (1500-2000 part ex) plus 8000 max so maybe I am being ambitious to be fair. I thought a Passat was like the A6 / superb where’s the a4 was like the golf / Octavia size wise.
I’m in a village near Hereford.