Zafira Tourer 2.0L 165bhp - Clutch problem? - paulzed

Hi, sorry if anyone has posted this before... When accelerating hard on the motorway the rev counter speeds right up but the speed does go up in line. Accelerating from a standstill there appears to be no problems. When going uphill and press the accelerator hard the problem is there also. The car has only done 21k and is a 2015 manual model with the hillstart assist handbrake. Any ideas?

Zafira Tourer 2.0L 165bhp - Clutch problem? - galileo

Sounds as if the clutch is slipping - this usually starts when you accelerate hard in a high gear, but this will get worse until it slips even in low gears.

If you bought this new, you may get a contribution from the dealer, but they may say this is "wear and tear" and due to the way you have driven it (for example, holding on the clutch on hills instead of neutral + handbrake or drag-race type starts from the lights).

If you bought it used, the previous owner may have maltreated it in those ways and worn the friction surfaces to the point where it slips, either way, the clutch probably needs to be replaced.

Edited by galileo on 20/08/2018 at 18:03

Thanks Galileo, thought as much. Hoped it wasn't though as it does not happen all the time. Time to get rid me thinks, have seen allsorts of prices (£700-800 at one end of the scale) for the clutch in these cars. Warranty ran out a couple of months ago.

Zafira Tourer 2.0L 165bhp - Clutch problem? - BMW Enthusiast

Time to get rid me thinks, have seen allsorts of prices (£700-800 at one end of the scale) for the clutch in these cars. Warranty ran out a couple of months ago.

It's still a young car with very low mileage. Replacing the clutch will be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new car.

Zafira Tourer 2.0L 165bhp - Clutch problem? - RobJP

Time to get rid me thinks, have seen allsorts of prices (£700-800 at one end of the scale) for the clutch in these cars. Warranty ran out a couple of months ago.

It's still a young car with very low mileage. Replacing the clutch will be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new car.

Agreed. Throwing away a lot of money changing it for that reason.

In addition, if it only happens occasionally, under hard acceleration, then you could quite easily get another few months out of the existing clutch by using a bit of 'mechanical sympathy', and driving gradually and avoiding hard acceleration on motorways and hills.

Edited by RobJP on 21/08/2018 at 07:11

Cheers guys, I will tell the Mrs. to be more... conservative.

RE new car, Kia have some great deals on the new Sportage.