Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - KB.

People here will know I'm not posting to advertise so will say at the outset I'm speaking about Millers Petrol Power Eco Max (500ml) bought for £12.99 today from Halfords.

I saw mentioned, elsewhere, the abovementioned stuff and much prefer not to reply there, but to start from scratch here if that's OK.

The suggestion is that it might improve this, that and the other as well as increase the mileage per gallon etc etc. Obviously additives are regularly spoken of and each will have their own experience or opinion and it will have been covered before, although I searched and didn't see reference to this particular product.

HJ did speak of it but I can't see where as we speak ... maybe it was an advert of some sort?

Had I not seen it mentioned I wouldn't have gone looking for it - but both my cars return quite poor mpg figures and so after seven or eight years of ownership I thought I'd try it (admittedly a bit late in the day).

Only bought it today and it seems to suggest that it's best put in before filling the tank ... and they're both full up so there won't be any quick results.

But I pose the (obvious) question ... am I likely to see ANY sort of difference in an automatic 1.2 petrol Hyunda and a DSG 1.2 petrol Yeti, both of which mainly do short journeys with occasional decent runs? Might it clean the pipes out a bit? Might I see a tiny improvement in anything? Was it a total waste of £12.99?

Edited by KB. on 12/08/2018 at 21:30

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - FP

I'm a fan of Miller's fuel additives, having used the diesel version with a Peugeot 306 HDi for over 100,000 miles; the petrol version with a Ford Focus Mk 2 for over 80,000 miles; and the petrol stuff for my present Mazda CX-5, in which I've done around 10,000 miles.

I've had no fuel-related problems in any of these cars, unless you count the EGR valve that had to be replaced on the Focus.

My feeling (unproven) was that fuel consumption improved a little after a while using the Miller's and I did get (and am getting) excellent figures for all three, but probably that's my driving style as much as anyting else.

None of this anecdotal evidence proves a thing, of course.

To answer your question: you're not likely to notice anything much - maybe a little more smoothness, maybe a little more economy, maybe nothing. No-one has produced satisfactory evidence that there are any effects attributable to additives and often people who've spent money want to believe things that aren't there.

Maybe - just maybe - if you have been using unbranded fuel (as I do), which lacks the more sophisticated additives of branded fuels, you will have a cleaner engine. But who knows?

That's all sensible, helpful and vaguely reassuring :-) ... ta muchly.

I should have said I use ordinary Shell, 95 octane, every time... almost always from the same place. The bottle says it increases the octane rating by one or two numbers ... but that offers no particular cause for optimism as I've tried the posh stuff in the past and noticed not a scrap of difference in my modest vehicles.

In no way would I want to resurrect the "supermarket versus branded" argument and wouldn't want it to occur again here.... I just happen to have a Shell garage locally and they are always the cheapest hereabouts so that's where I go (and they're always busy therefore my thinking is they must always have a regular turnover of fuel).

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - gordonbennet

I use it in SWMBO Forester XT, which should have the premium fuel but instead gets Sainsbug's semi premium stuff and a dose of the Millers, not expecting any better fuel economy (its drinks the stuff anyway), and now it's been LPG converted it runs very little on petrol anyway.

I've used the Millers Diesel additive for years, again mainly to make use of the cetane increase as well as the claimed cleaning properties.

I've put this link up before, the photos had disappeared recently due to Photobucket's policy change but they are back now, make of it what you will

forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/millers-die.../

i run older Diesels and have for ever and i do not get engine or fuelling issues (here's hoping that hasn't given fate a call), but they are maintained well and driven with mechanical sympathy which does not mean they are babied, i have faith in Millers products so have every expectation the petrol additive is as good.

Fuel consumption is so very driver dependant, if you have more torque and make use of it sensibly and with reserve then better fuel consumption can follow, but most people use the extra power for higher performance overall and the only thing making you go (accelerate) faster is burning more fuel.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/08/2018 at 13:25

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - Gibbo_Wirral

I'm also a fan of Millers diesel products, although I've not yet tried the petrol ones.

Some on here will do doubt churn out the usual old "snake oil" comment.

However, there's good video evidence from Channel 5's 5th Gear which shows marked improvements from additives used on a car on a rolling road test.

Ta for the replies. It'll be a little while before I can offer any thoughts, but will do so.

At least the response makes me feel as though it might have been worth while.

If it doubles my mpg and gives me a 0-60 of 3 seconds I'll wish I hadn't waited till now to try it.

Time to bite the bullet and 'fess up.

Complete waste of £12.

This stuff did absolutely nothing.

Zilch.

Nada.

Rock All.

Complete snake oil as far as I was concerend.

To be rated alongside the in-line cylindrical fuel saver/magnet/ionizer thing that I fitted to a Y reg. Maestro which was supposed to allow me to run on unleaded 2 star instead of leaded 4 star (although, as it happens I did use 2 sta unleaded and the engine didn't explode .... but then it probably wouldn't have done any harm using unleaded anyway as it was such a crude and rudimentary engine.

In fact I just filled the Huyundai i10 auto. up using the last of the 'Petrol Power Eco Max Advanced Formulation' stuff and logged a stunning figure of .... 25mpg.

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - Bolt

Complete waste of £12.

Zilch.

Nada.

Rock All.

To be rated alongside the in-line cylindrical fuel saver/magnet/ionizer thing that I fitted to a Y reg. Maestro which was supposed to allow me to run on unleaded 2 star instead of leaded 4 star (although, as it happens I did use 2 sta unleaded and the engine didn't explode .... but then it probably wouldn't have done any harm using unleaded anyway as it was such a crude and rudimentary engine.

In fact I just filled the Huyundai i10 auto. up using the last of the 'Petrol Power Eco Max Advanced Formulation' stuff and logged a stunning figure of .... 25mpg.

I did try it myself, though I have always said I dont recommend additives and after trying it, stand by my comments and wish I hadn't bothered, I use Tesco Diesel and do about 30-50 miles a day so probably dont need it anyway as my mpg is around 50mpg in winter

those magnets you mention I have not long got rid of a load from my shed as a lot of old cars I bought had them on but removed quick as they always cracked the pipe they were put on due to the weight(dont ask why I kept them no idea)

so yes I agree additives are a waste of time, but each to there own, if you believe they work fair enough.

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - edlithgow

Complete waste of £12.

Zilch.

Nada.

Rock All.

Complete waste of £12.

Zilch.

Nada.

Rock All.

Can't say you're wrong, I don't have an opinion about that, or any use for one, but this kind of thing can't really be evaluated without a level of investigation and analysis that isnt usually available to an individual consumer.

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - Andrew-T

<< ... you're not likely to notice anything much - maybe a little more smoothness, maybe a little more economy, maybe nothing. No-one has produced satisfactory evidence that there are any effects attributable to additives >>

I think that about covers it. I've never tried Miller's, but HJ and QW and others have hyped it over the years. These days I think it may be cheaper and more convenient to buy 10 litres of Shell V-power (or whatever brand you prefer) now and again (extra cost £1 - 1.50); I've done that for my HDi diesel and noticed smoother running (no measurable improvement in economy) and once or twice for a 1.6 petrol with no noticeable difference at all.

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - madf

I keep meticlous records of fuel usage..

Tried VPower, BP Monentum, additives.

NO difference at all.. over usually 1,000 miles.. and yes I can and do compare with simialr journeys at same time of year...

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - joegrundy

Interesting.

About 2 months ago when my x-type went to meet the great tin-worm god, I bought as a stop gap a 2003 Leon 1.9 130 tdi for £650. I'm actually quite impressed with the car except for the common water ingress problem (my new project to fix). It has always been a local car (rural W Wales) and the last owner was a mum who used it for the school run and work commute - exactly the wrong kind of use for this engine.

When I first bought it I found that it would pull like a train but smoked like crazy and that trying to cruise under light load (say 1700 rpm) was snatchy.

Viewing the car as a potentially disposable experiment (quite a liberating experience) I've done the following, on the assumption that everything that matters is carboned-up:

1. changed oil and filter with flush

2. changed air and fuel filters

3. run it with a tankful of v-power

4. cleaned the maf sensor and used egr/turbo cleaner through the inlet hose

5. driven to the red line whenever possible.

I'm currently running it with a triple strength dose of Millers Ecopower going through the tank. Certainly less black smoke, still some white smoke. Car seems to be running quite well and I'm enjoying myself seeking the red line!

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - Brit_in_Germany

Say it's not true Joe! So rust got to it in the end. Sad.

Sadly, yes. It was running very well, still returning up to 60 mpg on runs, and I was hoping to get her up to 200k. I decided to invest in getting the rear suspension clunking and clonking fixed (and was prepared to spend a bit) but once up on the ramp the extent of the rust became clear. It was fixable, but in my experience once you start chasing good metal to weld to you're in a losing battle. She needed other stuff as well and once you start ...

She's still on the road somewhere locally, though, until at least March (MOT expiry)

Puts you off a bit, though and now whenever I check MOT history and see an advisory for corrosion I am (perhaps irrationally) adverse.

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - edlithgow

Interesting.

About 2 months ago when my x-type went to meet the great tin-worm god, I bought as a stop gap a 2003 Leon 1.9 130 tdi for £650. I'm actually quite impressed with the car except for the common water ingress problem (my new project to fix). It has always been a local car (rural W Wales) and the last owner was a mum who used it for the school run and work commute - exactly the wrong kind of use for this engine.

When I first bought it I found that it would pull like a train but smoked like crazy and that trying to cruise under light load (say 1700 rpm) was snatchy.

Viewing the car as a potentially disposable experiment (quite a liberating experience) I've done the following, on the assumption that everything that matters is carboned-up:

I'm currently running it with a triple strength dose of Millers Ecopower going through the tank. Certainly less black smoke, still some white smoke. Car seems to be running quite well and I'm enjoying myself seeking the red line!

I seem to have got good results with water decoking on the Skywing (not a diesel but I think it would work as well or better there due to the higher temperatures and leaner mixture)

A turbo would get in the way though.

First time I tried it (via IV line in vaqcuum advace pipe) ito address a suspected pre-ignition problem, which it seemed to do.

Second time I just used a plant mister which was pretty tedious (2L deionised water for an hour) to address coking visible through the plug hole, which it seemed to do, though I wasn't able to get any convincing photos. I'm resisting getting an endoscope, though tempted. I guess no use on a diesel unless you can use the glowplug ports for access?

I had a primitive water inspiration rig on the car to suck water automatically and semi-continuously at high revs, to address the tedium issue, but had to take it off for inspection and havn't put it back yet

Edited by edlithgow on 16/12/2019 at 06:24

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - John F

Nice to see the update from the OP adding weight to most scientifically knowledgeable people's opinion that such products are mostly snake-oil.

Quack-quack-quackery. There's so much of it around now thanks to the huge number of gullible folk with spare money to burn. But, like homeopathy, which even the bum-to-averagely intelligent royals have thankfully finally abandoned, if you have a warm comforting belief that your car is running better, you've possibly had your moneysworth. The only additive to petrol worth considering is.... more petrol.

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - alan1302

The only additive to petrol worth considering is.... more petrol.

And the additives all the companies put in it...

Skoda and Hyundai - Millers petrol additive. - craig-pd130

Interesting.

Sorry to hear about the Jag.

Those are all very sensible things to do with an older PD motor. I had the PD130 engine in a Passat for over 5 years, they're not at all fussy about fuel, but they DO like a good Italian tune-up regularly.

Have a very careful look over all the vacuum lines that control the turbo VNT mechanism / EGR / anti-shudder valve. These can get perished with age, and often they're not routed very well from the factory. 30 minutes or so making sure they're all routed smoothly and pushed fully home on their mounting stubs can make a big difference to driveability.

Also, this is worth a read if you fancy tweaking. As the cam position affects the injector pressure at the point the injector is triggered to squirt, small cam adjustments can make a difference. My Passat was quick in the mid-range before it had a cambelt change: after the cambelt change it was even quicker. http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Big-Changes-from-Tiny-Adjustments&A=112521

Thanks very much for this info, which I'll follow up.