Air Con v Climate Control - macski

My Toyota has air con, when you switch it on you can hear the revs on the engine rise. I am not sure of increased fuel economy as I only owned it for a short whille

My Alfa has climate control, when switched on there is no rise in revs, it does not seem to effect the fuel economy, which is not good anyway.

Do they work differently?

Air Con v Climate Control - badbusdriver

They both use a small compressor driven off the engine, so in that respect, they are the same. Not sure why your Alfa's revs don't drop, maybe the A/C compressor not working?

Air Con v Climate Control - Engineer Andy

It's more likely that the car with just standard A/C is over-cooling, hence why the revs rose. My car has climate control and mostly uses the 'eco' setting when set to auto unless it's really hot inside and out. It uses just the right amount of cooling system capacity, fan speed and direction to achieve the desired temperature in the car. A standard A/C system can do that but only if you guess the aforementioned system requirements correctly and adjust it accordingly and keep doing so all the time as the conditions change outside and the inside temperature drops.

Essentially you pay extra for the fancy controls system on climate controlled cars, and in my opinion is well worth the money, as it saves on fuel for the reasons I gave above, essentially paying for itself and giving a more pleasant environment in the car, as well as allowing the driver to concentrate on more important things.

Air Con v Climate Control - elekie&a/c doctor

I have 2 Ford Focus models ,one has climate control and the other has standard a/con. The workings inder the bonnet are identical in both cases.It is what happens behind the dash that is different. The climate system will have various sensors around the car,both inside and out and also small electric servo motors that drive the the distribution and air blend flaps. The reason you can't always hear the a/c pump cutting in 'is due to the type of compressor now being used on modern cars. The old style "clutch" pump would click in and out during the a/c cycle. Later pumps are "clutchless" ,their operation controlled via an electronic valve.which reduces load on the engine and gives more control over the pump's performance. These modern style pumps are fitted to cars with either climate or regular a/c.

Air Con v Climate Control - landmarker

As said, the mechanical side is identical, the differences are in the sensors and control (manual vs automatic)

Your Alfa's engine ECU is probably just reacting differently to the small additional load generated by the compressor, or the compressor is broken.

For the fuel economy there - will be a difference, it's just proportionally less significant with a thirstier car and a more sophisticated sensor/control system.

Edited by landmarker on 17/07/2018 at 10:39

Air Con v Climate Control - Avant

Both our Audis have manual AC: SWMBO's A1 came like that as it was a car from the dealer's stock, and we were impressed enough not to tick the climate control box when ordering the Q2.

It doesn't really matter what the temperature is in degrees, as long as the people in the car are comfortable. Simple adjustment of the rotary knobs is easy: Andy's point is well made, but in our case you don't have to keep adjusting the temperature. OK, we haven't got individual temperatures for driver and passenger, but in all the cars we've had with climate control this has never worked very well.

Air Con v Climate Control - skidpan

We have had cars wil basic A/C and Climate (single and 2 zone) and there is a big difference.

Basic A/C is better than nothing but as noted above the cycling of the compressor is noticable at idle and in one car (Ford Puma) you could even feel the compressor cycling at 70 mph on the motorway. You need to adjust the temperature manually not only as the outside temp increases but also when the sun comes out/goes back in and sometimes with the speed of the car.

Climate is much better, set the temp on the display and the car will adjust the system to provide that temp. If it needs a lot of cooling you get it, if it doesn't the system only provides what is needed and saves fuel.

But while some insist that dual zone is better I personally cannot see the point in a small space like a car. Its not like a house where you might like to set one room hotter than another, in a car the air mixes all the time while you are driving making the interior one temp like it or not. My Superb had an option for 3 zone climate giving the rear passengers control over the temp. Why? most of the air that circulates into the back comes form the front and they have no control over that. Imagine having 2 or more kids in the back argueing over the setting, total nightmare.

For me climate is an option I will always tick (if its not standard). Last car I bought with A/C was the Leon and that was a dealer stock car with a great deal. Always wished it had climate (it was my intention to specify it) but the deal just about made the lack of climate acceptable (climate was about £300 extra but a factory order would have cost near £2000 more and a 4 month wait). But in truth I would not do it again.

Thanks for the explenation.

The air con on the Toyota is very good, set on cold it freezes within minutes and set on hot it boils nearly as quick, it is hard to set, although rarely used as it is a convertable.

The climate control on the Alfa takes a while to get going, which is a problem when it is cold outside or raining, as before the car gets warm you have got to the place your going. However once up to strength it is easy to use and keeps the car at a pleasant temp..

I guess the duel controls are for the temp coming out of the vents, rather then the overal temp in the car?

Air Con v Climate Control - nellyjak

Thanks for the explenation.

The air con on the Toyota is very good, set on cold it freezes within minutes and set on hot it boils nearly as quick,

Seems to be a Toyota characteristic in my experience...all our Toyotas have had excellent systems..the air-con is Arctic..and the heater is tropical.

Air Con v Climate Control - skidpan

I guess the duel controls are for the temp coming out of the vents, rather then the overal temp in the car?

The temp (or temps) you set on the display on a climate system are the target temps for the interior of the car, there is a sensor somewhere. When its a hot day the air coming out of the vents will be colder than the set figure, when its a cold day the air coming out will be hotter.

But as I said above its only a small space, the air mixes quickly and I have yet to detect much (if any) difference other than the temp near the vents if the zones are set massively different. In the real world single zone is just fine by me, truth be told we always have both zones set the same if its a dual zone car.

Air Con v Climate Control - concrete

Climate control seems the better option to me having owned vehicles with either or and using the systems too. I ran my Superb on the Eco setting for quite a while, all this achieved was it not using the a/c enough to keep the seals lubricated and eventually when I did need it the system failed and had to be re-gassed. So it is use it or lose it as far as I can see. After the re-gass just left it on Auto climate control and it worked a treat. As the car returned an average mpg of nearly 50mpg I could not really comment about fuel use or saving. But all the comfort of c/c and great mileage was a bonus.

The new Volvo XC60 is excellent too. Easy adjustment and extremely quick to operate after start up. The dual facilty works well too as SWMBO likes hers on a lower setting.

Cheers Concrete

I rectal;l a friend owning a 90s small Japanese hatchback that had air con, when you switched it on while the car was being driven at higher speeds or up a hill it would be like applying a brake as the car would loose power and speed.

The air con was hardly ever used and if it were she used to switch it off when pulling away from lights, at a junction or when overtaking, although she hardly ever over took anything either as thecar was so slow

Air Con v Climate Control - Volts

My SMAX climate Control is werid. Outside Temp is 15C Climate se to 20C yet its still blowing cold air. Am i not understanding the concept corretly???

Air Con v Climate Control - mcb100
The sensor for outside temperature is (probably) not exposed to sunshine, thus a reasonably accurate figure. The interior of the car is, essentially, a glasshouse with lots of radiated heat from body panels, etc. And exposure to the sun. So the climate control will have to work hard to keep the interior temperature at your required 20 degrees.