Citroen C4 Picasso / Renault scenic - Mpv options under £2500-£3000 - Kitson

Hi.

Hoping someone can offer some advice. My partner and I need a car. We would like an mpv which can carry 3 passengers comfortable in the back. We have two children so the car needs to fit two kids seats plus an adult between them. We will mainly be using it for motorway and longish journeys so won't be used for a daily commute. It's mainly for going away at weekends.

We will prob buy from a dealer because we dont have a great deal of expeirmece buying from a private seller.

We've seen a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.8 i SX 5dr a 2008 plate with 77000 miles for £2500. We've test driven it, albeit not on a very long journey and not tested it on a a road or motorway. It's the right size car with a good boot and plenty of space in the back.

Is this model reliable. Any reason not to buy it. The laternative we saw was a Renault Scenic 1.4 16v Dynamique 5dr with 80000 for £2000 which was a biy smaller and not in the best condition..they haf a citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 i 16v VTX 5dr with 60000 miles for £2000- which we didn't test drive.

Amy advice would be great. We would like to get one bought in the next couple of weeks.

Many thanks

Citroen C4 Picasso / Renault scenic - Mpv options under £2500-£3000 - Avant

The Picasso has a fairly good reputation as long as you go for a manual and avoid the semi-automatic transmission fitted to some of them. Unless you do a very high mileage, go for petrol rather than diesel: the one you talk about sounds like a possibilty, although you should go for a proper test drive and ensure that it has a full service history.

With any French car, the more basic the version the better, as it won't have so many electronic extras to go wrong. Certainly avoid anything like that Scenic which you say was 'not in the best condition' And that's only the parts you can see.

Citroen C4 Picasso / Renault scenic - Mpv options under £2500-£3000 - Stackman II

Our experience of the Scenic at that price point is that the electronic hand brake can fail. We had 2 replacements on my wife's 2005 example and the electronic dash board went dark.

Despite what Renault said it was possible to fit second hand parts from a scrap yard without complicated electronic intervention using Renault's service computer.

Thanks for advice. I'd heard such mixed reviews about the c4 i wasn't sure what to believe or read. We will prob have another drive of it before deciding.

Sounds like the Renault might be one to avoid for what we plan to pay. Again good and bad reviews about that choice.

Feels a bit like luck when you buy a cars at this price.

Edited by Kitson on 16/07/2018 at 18:11

Citroen C4 Picasso / Renault scenic - Mpv options under £2500-£3000 - SLO76
Of the three the Citroen C4 Picasso is the best option. The old TU series petrol motor is pretty robust if regularly serviced, they resist rot very well and being the most modern design here they offer decent crash protection and isofix seat mountings in the rear. The older Picasso might have these also as it’s a late model but most didn’t and I wouldn’t put a child into a car seat that wasn’t mounted using isofix.

Things to look for on these include.

Electrical gremlins
More electrical gremlins
Worn clutches (largely due to the type of driving and driver they often see)
Loose trim
Worn and creaking front strut top mounts
Snapped coil springs
Clicking CV joints
And the timing belt is likely to be overdue a change, if there’s no real proof that it’s been done recently then price in a new belt, tensioner and water pump. This is the biggest weak point on these engines. If it snaps the engine is scrap. Likely to cost £300-£400 as it’s not the easiest of cars to do.

Others to consider are...

Honda FR-V
Mazda 5
Toyota Corolla Verso (again check for isofix as earlier cars didn’t have it)

Avoid diesels and remember that history and condition mean more than mileage or age.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/07/2018 at 18:21

Citroen C4 Picasso / Renault scenic - Mpv options under £2500-£3000 - elekie&a/c doctor

For that sort of age and money,have you considered a Mk3 Mondeo estate? (up to 2006) Loads of space,and if you stick to a petrol engine with a manual gearbox,very little to go wrong.

Citroen C4 Picasso / Renault scenic - Mpv options under £2500-£3000 - badbusdriver

For that sort of age and money,have you considered a Mk3 Mondeo estate? (up to 2006) Loads of space,and if you stick to a petrol engine with a manual gearbox,very little to go wrong.

Assuming the next gen is also reliable in petrol/manual form (Autotrader owner reviews score the car 4.5 out of 5 for 84 reviews, so seems pretty positive), you could get into a mk4. You wouldn't get into an estate at that money unless high miles, but the boot in the hatchback is surely big enough for most folks requirements. And of course the newer car will have better allround safety. Here is an example of one currently on Autotrader,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180612743...1

Regarding isofix, i looked into the pros and cons a while ago regarding another thread, and the only real problem with non isofix child seats is that the majority are not fitted correctly. If fitted correctly there is no real advantage and in some cases, depending on the particular seat, isofix can actually be less safe. The reason being that the isofix points hold the seat so rigidly, more of the force can be transfered onto the seat. In a properly fitted belted child seat, there is a little more give, especially in side impacts, which lessen the force being transfered to the child. Some isofix seats are available which are designed to offer a little more 'give', but i don't think they all are. This is a link to a Which article on it.

www.which.co.uk/reviews/child-car-seats/article/is...r

When a car crashes it stops suddenly, but the child car seat and its passenger carry on moving. A child car seat is designed to protect your child by holding him or her in place, absorbing some of the forces of the crash, and actively controlling how their body moves to reduce injury to their internal organs, and delicate areas such as the head, neck and abdomen. When a seat is installed using a seat belt, there is some give in the belt. This means the seat moves slightly more in a crash, but the forces transmitted to the seat, and hence the child, can be slightly lower, because of the energy absorbed as the belt flexes. With Isofix mounts the connection between the seat and the car is more rigid, and more of the crash force is transferred between them. In a sideways impact the car seat is often held more firmly on the seat, so there can be less sideways movement, and more force is transferred to the seat. However, some Isofix car seats now have connectors which allow for a bit of sideways movement, to compensate for this. Our testing shows that car seats with Isofix connectors can sometimes get a worse overall safety score than the same seat installed using the adult seat belt. In a car crash the car rapidly decelerates, but the car seat and child in it carry on moving. Often the actual difference in safety of the seat will be negligible. Some Isofix versions of car seats do better overall than their belted versions. The key thing to remember is that Isofix was introduced to make fitting a baby car seat or child car seat much easier, and to lower the risk of getting it wrong. If a seat is installed incorrectly, it won’t give as much protection as it’s designed to, which could lead to a higher risk of serious injury. If a seat can be belted in as well as connected using Isofix, we'll always tell you how it performed in our crash tests in both modes.

(Duplicate para removed.)

Edited by Avant on 17/07/2018 at 01:13

I compared my wife’s cousins child seat fitted by belt in the rear of the 2007 Citroen Picasso 1.6 VTR I supplied to her mother a number of years ago to the isofix mounted one we have in our CRV and the amount of movement in it frightened me especially when you imagine a side impact. A younger child in particular will be thrown all over the place in such an impact. A well made and well padded isofix seat is safer in most instances especially when you consider the chances of someone not fitting the belted seat properly. I won’t carry our child in anything without isofix.

kit.honestjohn.co.uk/car-seat-belts-or-isofix-what.../

Good call on the petrol Mondeo though. Both Mk III and IV are great cars and generally very robust in petrol form with chain driven 1.8 or 2.0 motors or the less popular and rather underpowered 1.6 Yamaha in the later car.

www.goodeggcarsafety.com/blog/sharp-rise-in-child-...l

Edited by SLO76 on 16/07/2018 at 20:35

Citroen C4 Picasso / Renault scenic - Mpv options under £2500-£3000 - badbusdriver

Sorry, no idea what happened there, copying the passage didn't appear to work (was not showing on the pc). Tried a couple of times, then linked the article instead!.

Hey ho!

Edited by badbusdriver on 16/07/2018 at 20:47

Yeah for some reason several links I tried to post showing stats didn’t work. It just kept deleting part of the link... gremlins in the system.

Thanks for advice....also need another car seat so will read up on isofix. We didn't look at Mondeo because we needed 3 full seats in the back. The car is for my partner and she thought the Mondeo was too long .....she used to driving a fiat 500 so prefers higher driving position especially in a bigger car.

I'll also look into the alternatives suggested but good to know that the Citroen isn't a total waste of time.

A Mondeo will be wider across the rear seats than a Picasso or Scenic, so there is no drawback in terms of space, only in versatility. As the MPV's have individual seats, each can be folded or removed seperately, whereas the Mondeo has a standard 60/40 split. I can well understand the appeal of the higher seating portion, but given your very small budget and having your family in there, surely safety and reliability should be the priority. Your partner will get used to the car, and it will have reversing sensors.