any - X marks the motorway lane on a hot day - gordonbennet

I worked Sunday and as usual on a bone dry clear weather weekend there were several bumps on the motorway, pause for face palm, particularly the M1 Beds, typical early morning rollover mess going down waiting on recovery and when returning from my second delivery one particular shunt northbound between jcts 12 and 13 the outside lane was impassable due to several vehicles stranded following yet another bunch getting themselves in a pickle.

So, hard shoulder mergency only all the way, outside lane red X, and hundreds of cars completely ignored the outside lane X and drove through not one but two red X's in succession, only to have to move over to pass said stranded vehicles maybe 400 yards after X number 2.

I didn't notice if the two gantries we passed had cameras but did wonder if red X lanes might automatically trigger photos of transgressors, i do hope so.

Aside from that, it was extremely hot which might help explain the two child like drivers who managed to have a right tussle, due to some perceived slight at a slip road from what i could see, their undertaking and cutting up of each other carried on for about 3 miles on the A45 Northampton section (as i was in the lorry i saw most of this performance of half wits doing what half wits do), with presumably child like rantings at one another when they got side by side at the same speed for some times several times, thankfully more mature heads were in abundance in other vehicles who gave these two fools a wide berth so if they did make a mess of it hopefully only those two would be involved.

It's bad enough when one fool spits his dummy out, but when two infantile fools...my mind went back to my childhood when a doting parent could buy his child a plastic dashboard complete with steering wheel for tiny mitts so junior could pretend drive the car just like daddy.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/07/2018 at 18:50

any - X marks the motorway lane on a hot day - Smileyman

far too many instances of speed reductions only to find there is nothing there ... like crying wolf ... but none of these have been red X above a specific lane ... ignore these at your peril (driving licence peril)

any - X marks the motorway lane on a hot day - Bromptonaut

far too many instances of speed reductions only to find there is nothing there ... like crying wolf ... but none of these have been red X above a specific lane ... ignore these at your peril (driving licence peril)

Why do you expect to always see something?

There are a myriad reasons why you may not ranging from your own lack of observation/focus elsewhere, the incident being cleared or a caution following a vague report of debris or loose animals.

any - X marks the motorway lane on a hot day - Smileyman

Thanks for your supportive comment!

I expect that if the operators of the warning systems state there is an obstruction or any other reason for the reduction of speed limit to be accurate and to keep the distance of restriction to a minimum.... there is nothing more fun than poodling along at 50mph past gantry after gantry for no apparant reason...

any - X marks the motorway lane on a hot day - Manatee

Thanks for your supportive comment!

I expect that if the operators of the warning systems state there is an obstruction or any other reason for the reduction of speed limit to be accurate and to keep the distance of restriction to a minimum.... there is nothing more fun than poodling along at 50mph past gantry after gantry for no apparant reason...

I expect them to err on the side of caution, especially as so many drivers don't.

any - X marks the motorway lane on a hot day - Leif
If Tweedles Dum and Dee really were a danger, then send in a video of them, assuming you have one. I sometimes see people racing in and out of lanes, they are a menace.
any - X marks the motorway lane on a hot day - Bromptonaut

So, hard shoulder mergency only all the way, outside lane red X, and hundreds of cars completely ignored the outside lane X and drove through not one but two red X's in succession, only to have to move over to pass said stranded vehicles maybe 400 yards after X number 2.

Exactly same experience on the M25 a couple of months ago. Nearside lanes red X on at least 3 successive gantries being totally ignored by people jumping the slower moving queue of the law abiding who'd moved into lanes 3 and 4. Literally witihn sight of the incident they were being waved over by a Highways Officer standing in the road.

We desperately need lane closure cameras* and some well publicised prosecutions.

*I suspect they don't exist at the moment as we'd have numpties who'd been caught coming in here looking to get themselves off the hook.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/07/2018 at 08:42

any - X marks the motorway lane on a hot day - oldroverboy.

I was driving through the Bell common tunnel west bound on the M25 yesterday and the limit was 50 on the overhead signs. just after the tunnel there is a camera at the side on the gantry.. Some appeared to be going past at well over 70 and I saw a few flashes on my way back too.

any - X marks the motorway lane on a hot day - bathtub tom

Sat behind a car (big merc) this morning that turned right against lights that clearly displayed 'straight on or left turn only': goo.gl/maps/9xe2zGQLDHT2

Unfortunately, the camera only detects transgressors coming the other way.